The builds look good to me, but that dragster has so many huge stickers, even by Speed Champions standards, that it hardly looks like Lego anymore. Not a fan. But hey! Maybe pictures of the Corvette set will be next, I'm looking forward to that one.

5 hours ago, User5346 said:

new wheel and tire design?

I think the wheels are the same, just instead of the rim being dish and the tires are wider. 

I agree on the dragster, too much stickers.  Charger looks more of the same.  They need to figure out a better rear window of these muscle cars.  I do like how the exhaust is coming out before the rear tires on the Charger. 

Personally I think this looks pretty great, the purple was a great choice for the Charger. The stickers are giving me a twitch though.

It looks like this was just found in a store (two months before release as well, what the heck?!), so hopefully pictures of the other sets won't be too far behind.

36 minutes ago, icm said:

The builds look good to me, but that dragster has so many huge stickers, even by Speed Champions standards, that it hardly looks like Lego anymore

Personally, I think there are not too many stickers there. Cars such as the Ferrari 458 (2015) and the Ford Fiesta (2018) they had even more stickers than this dragster. 

In my opinion, stickers should be quite a lot to reproduce all the details. 

I could only imagine that the instructions in the set found would have images of all the new sets... so close but so far....

1 hour ago, User5346 said:

I could only imagine that the instructions in the set found would have images of all the new sets... so close but so far....

My thoughts exactly :laugh:

I wasn't sure about drag car but now I have seen it, I think it looks amazing! Medium Lilac is the perfect shade of purple for the Challenger. This will make a great birthday present to myself.

Apparently that set costs 60 euros, must be a delayed april fools joke, and a bad one at that..

I like the challenger, wouldve picked that up as a single, but this set is a hard pass for me, i dont get why lego has to do these two car sets where one of the completely ruins it (urus, wrc mini, ipace), when the older twin sets were quite good, like the 911 rsr and turbo

38 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Apparently that set costs 60 euros, must be a delayed april fools joke, and a bad one at that

Why a joke right away? In my opinion, the price is quite proportional to the number of parts (including most likely a few new ones) and the number of stickers. 

1 hour ago, Bartlomiej said:

Why a joke right away? In my opinion, the price is quite proportional to the number of parts (including most likely a few new ones) and the number of stickers. 

Single car sets are 20 euros, this is two cars without any side builds, i dont see the value here

And piececount is a poor indicator imho, especially since this theme uses lots of small parts, technic has a different average piece cost as well for example

This does seem to be a bit higher price than expected, unless there is a significant side build.

The funny thing is the whole reason I got into Speed Champions was the relatively low prices, like $12, then the prices went up, like $15. Still I thought it was a decent value so I stuck with it, then they switched to 8 wide and again the prices went up, like $20 and although SC was no longer such an inexpensive theme I still bought them because I enjoyed them so much.

However I do have my limits, no matter how good the theme is, so if they jack the prices up again so soon, I will likely just forget about it, as with Star Wars. I used to really enjoy SW but the prices were just too much for me, now I see they are trying to address that issue, unfortunately by reducing part counts. 

So I really hope that price is wrong or the set has more to it. I really enjoy smaller less expensive sets and it would be a shame if Speed Champions no longer fits the bill.

I'm a little short of impressed by the Challenger, but I look forward to being delightfully surprised by some aspect of it. I don't care about the dragster at all so I won't even comment on it. I am a little curious about the Challenger's wheel situation, though.

9ld4yV7.png

Using a dish or similar round piece in place of a wheel is a pretty common MOC technique, but I'm positive I've never seen this in an official set before.

I know I will buy this set anyway but the more I look at it the less I like it. I know the real car isn't really very curvey or shapely but to me anyway, from that box art it just looks square, boxy and with surfaces flat as an ironing board. Hopefully the real set will not look so uninspiring.

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

However I do have my limits, no matter how good the theme is, so if they jack the prices up again so soon, I will likely just forget about it, as with Star Wars. I used to really enjoy SW but the prices were just too much for me, now I see they are trying to address that issue, unfortunately by reducing part counts.  

Well it is one or the other really, the SW prices rose so much because the models kept getting bigger and more detailed, if you want to push the price down a bit (which i entirely agree with, every kid should be able to have an X-wing, so it should be the €50 mainstay of the line, not a €90 set), the cost needs to be reduced somehow, and for now, there is no reason for Lego to significantly eat their margins, so we get less pieces.

As for speedchampions, i agree with the cheap impulse buyable aspect of it, that, and my love for cars got me hooked on it, sets of this size are wonderfully suited for a relaxing evening etc.. without feeling the need to squash it out over several days due to either length and cost, and the finished models almost always look very cool. Given the quality improvements the sets underwent in year 2, 3 and 4 (mostly), i was OK with the price moving from €15 to €18 (went back down to €15 later), and now with the 8-wides, i feel like we get more then enough extra detail and enjoyment to warant the €20 pricetag. BUT, i always approach the bigger sets in terms of X cars, so anything above X * $PRICE_OF_SINGLE_CAR feels like im getting ripped off, I dont care about the side builds, so something like the Ferrari museum, in my mind, was me pissing away €60 for the ability to get €45 worth of Ferrari cars, hence i didnt get it. Same with the lambo set last year, i would have liked the Huracan, but i dont like the Urus, and at €60, the set is €20 too much for two cars, especially when the jaguar set shows clearly that they can actually do two cars for €40...

And that is how i approach this dodge set, two cars = €20 to me, and considering the set doesnt even seem to have a sidebuild to eat up parts, i really dont understand where the extra €20 is going, other then "brand premium", which for something like lamborghini is somewhat understandable, but for the brand that is pretty much as exciting as Ford or Chevy (or in EU terms, VW), i just dont understand any of that.

Either way, im amazed that this thing is in shops already but we dont even have confirmed set names, let alone any pics.

Love the dragster and will probably have to purchase it just for that.  The Challenger is one of my favorite real cars, but I'll reserve judgement on it until there's a picture of it built, it looks alright but I feel like some of the 60s/70s American cars just don't capture as well in the Speed Champions scale.  

Something cool, from what I can see, is that the driver of the dragster appears to be based on an actual NHRA Top Fuel driver, Leah Pruett.  She did run a car with the Angry Bee graphics scheme on it, that looks almost identical to the graphics on this car, which is interesting because there doesn't appear to be any license of NHRA or the racing team (DSR) that had this car.  So, I guess it's more of a subtle homage rather than the figure explicitly being based on her.

The more i look at the challenger, the more i dislike the black hood/bonnet. I think it would of looked better if it was all in purple, even though inaccurate to the source image 

Great spyshot, but personally, I am left very cold (and somehow disappointed) by this set:

• I have zero interests in dragsters and don't even consider them as proper cars (sorry it may be a cultural thing but the dragster attraction is more than limited in Europe). 
  • As for the Dodge Challenger - I am not particularly appealed by this car; furthermore, I don't think it looks very accurate to the original one either. 
  • Finally, (bitter-not-sweet) cherry on the cake: the EUR 60 price tag on this set. Seriously, Lego must be joking! Assuming the Challenger on its own would be c. EUR 20, that positions the Dragster at a eye watering EUR 40. Crazy, imho!

Nevertheless, I do appreciate that the US Market is huge for Lego and I expect this model will have a strong appeal to transatlantic brick s& cars fasn.

So, I am happy for them and will wait for more exciting SC news for European fans.

I don't know what to think anymore. I go to different news about SC and on each website is written something else. On one that SC will be available from June, on the other that from July, and on yet another that from August. 

THAT'S WHEN WILL YOU FINALLY BE ABLE TO BUY THEM?! 

I hope the only truth is that since June. 

The sets should be out June and the Dodge set will most likely cost the same as the Lamborghini set from last year.

The sets will definitely be coming June. This I have no doubt. It might not be 1st June though. The reason I know this is because LEGO starts manufacturing sets 3 months before release, so if it was an August release this set should not exist yet in warehouses let alone retailers.

23 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

I am a little curious about the Challenger's wheel situation, though.

9ld4yV7.png

Using a dish or similar round piece in place of a wheel is a pretty common MOC technique

I also wondered how it is done and today out of boredom went into the studio applications and I did something like this:

IMG_20210405_173053.jpgAnd you can actually mount a regular dish there.

IMG_20210405_173517.jpgOf course, there are new tires in this SC set. 

Edited by Bartlomiej

9 hours ago, AbFab1974 said:

I have zero interests in dragsters and don't even consider them as proper cars (sorry it may be a cultural thing but the dragster attraction is more than limited in Europe). 

I think you are right about the cultural thing, when I first saw the photos I thought it was a good 1. April joke... I hope there will be other than american cars this year. 

Oh well, I'll save that money :)