2 hours ago, Carbohydrates said:

I've seen people who build cars close to what minifig scale "should" be based on height, and the models are tiny. They're usually 4 or 5 studs wide and far too small to actually fit a minifig. Taking things to this extreme really forces us to face the limitations of the minifig and accept that any car that fits one inside is just not going to scale accurately to a fig's height.

That said, it did strike me how tall LEGO's GT40 was, considering it's supposed to be a legendarily short car. This is as low as I was able to get it while still fitting a minifig in the cabin. It's still too tall, of course, but at least mine doesn't tower over minifigs anymore!

Cool model! 

You can lengthen the legs of the minifigure due to 1x1 plates :)

I think the final set is Ferrari F1 car and maybe announce on March 10th (new SF21). Firstly, Ferrari and Lego have a strong relationship in the past (Lego Racers theme). In Speed Champions Theme, Ferrari has at least 01 car every year. Secondly, we didn't have an 8-studs f1 car. Finally, all the cars that we knew right now are not attractive enough to push the sale of this year.

Edited by zzzhozzz

Of course there is nothing to stop anyone from making SC looking cars scaled down to city, of course you won't be able to seat two minifigures side by side and it will be less detailed but i stand by my statement. 

City and Speed Champions are two separate themes that almost but not quite, fit together any more than the Creator 3-1 vehicles do.

I applaud the change and wish only that it would have happened sooner. Like I said even at six wide they are to big for city. That is why it perplexes me when people continually second guess LEGO's decision. "Now Speed Champion cars are to big for my city." They always were, so just accept it, or as has been mentioned, make it so.

Not trying to be harsh, just putting my point of view out there. I have always been a huge fan of SC and have all the 8 wides and most of the six wides, which don't look near as good now next to the new ones. So please don't take it personally.

The other thing to consider with the 8-wide cars is that we've only had them for a year. The first round of 6-wide SC cars were very hit and miss (I'm mainly thinking of the P1 as a big blocky miss here), but they improved drastically over their lifetime, regardless of opinions on their wacky proportions. I'm sure subsequent waves of 8-wide cars will only improve looks wise, and they're getting a head-start in that department.

1 hour ago, zzzhozzz said:

I think the final set is Ferrari F1 car and maybe announce on March 10th (new SF21). Firstly, Ferrari and Lego have a strong relationship in the past (Lego Racers theme). In Speed Champions Theme, Ferrari has at least 01 car every year. Secondly, we didn't have an 8-studs f1 car. Finally, all the cars that we knew right now are not attractive enough to push the sale of this year.

It's possible it's Ferrari or F1-related, but I'd be very surprised if it was co-ordinated with the launch as it probably won't be this year's car (I know they're basically the same rules-wise, but still). I very much doubt F1 teams would be in a position to give LEGO references to work with months in advance - for summer 2021 releases LEGO must've been working from concepts by at least the end of autumn 2020, and even the teams themselves don't know what the car will look like at that point.

Would be cool if we could get someone to make a poll or two; one with the question “Do you prefer 6 studs or 8 studs” and a second question of “What do you prefer to do with your cars,” e.i, display them, use the in a city etc. I’m am personally surprised that the width of the cars is still being bought up, because let’s face it, the cars are never going to be perfectly Minifigure scale anyway.

15 hours ago, dimka_ya said:

PGE6-mwLKAI.jpg?size=800x350&quality=96&sign=f051b7d4bbb790551d0bfcd6c322394f&type=album

If you just take the instruction and assemble a 7pin wide car, then the problem is mainly only with the glass. and then if think about it, can find a solution. 

I just wanted to see how they look :)

These look fantastic!! I especially like what you have done with the F40 

11 hours ago, User5346 said:

Would be cool if we could get someone to make a poll or two; one with the question “Do you prefer 6 studs or 8 studs” and a second question of “What do you prefer to do with your cars,” e.i, display them, use the in a city etc. I’m am personally surprised that the width of the cars is still being bought up, because let’s face it, the cars are never going to be perfectly Minifigure scale anyway.

I like both stud widths to be honest! however I am swaying more to the 8 stud I think the final decision for me will be seeing this years sets, which I hope we will be getting to see some pictures very soon!

I display my models because sadly I dont have the room for a bit city scene, or to be more accurate my wife wont let me have a big city scene!!

On 3/1/2021 at 9:24 PM, User5346 said:

I think a lot of us here would love to see some pictures when you get them done!

Thanks, I'd did not really think of that. I'm currently rebuilding the Bugatti Chiron, but I'll make a topic when done and I have taken some decent photos :) 

On 3/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, dimka_ya said:

PGE6-mwLKAI.jpg?size=800x350&quality=96&sign=f051b7d4bbb790551d0bfcd6c322394f&type=album

If you just take the instruction and assemble a 7pin wide car, then the problem is mainly only with the glass. and then if think about it, can find a solution. 

Is 7 wide an optimal width to capture the actual proportions in relation to wheel size? Isn't 8 stud better? Or is it that these just fit the minifig scale better? 

I think 8 studs wide cars are much easier to design. 

20 minutes ago, hellhax said:

Is 7 wide an optimal width to capture the actual proportions in relation to wheel size? Isn't 8 stud better? Or is it that these just fit the minifig scale better? 

I think 8 studs wide cars are much easier to design. 

Yes, 8pin cars are easier to make. But if we stretch these to 8pin - they will be too wide and we will to increase the height. Which the Lego designers did with the new line. But 8pin cars are no longer on the scale of minifigures and for supercars the height of the wheel arch has become too large :)

22 hours ago, dimka_ya said:

Yes, 8pin cars are easier to make. But if we stretch these to 8pin - they will be too wide and we will to increase the height. Which the Lego designers did with the new line. But 8pin cars are no longer on the scale of minifigures and for supercars the height of the wheel arch has become too large :)

I'm really digging your 7-wide versions in the pics above @dimka_ya!  :thumbup:   But i disagree. I don't think there's been a height increase in wheel arch designs between the 6-wide and 8-wide versions, or the overall heights of the cars.  It's still possible to create a fairly low looking car if you choose the MOC route and still go 8-wide. 

I also don't agree with those who say they want larger wheels for the new 8-wides, (although a dragster would obviously need bigger diameter tyres, which would look fine). I've always thought the wheels look too big on 6-wides, so for me, the size they are now on the 8-wides looks perfect, in my opinion. 

My only hope for these new upcoming sets, is new windscreen shapes and designs.  

1 hour ago, User5346 said:

So I’m guessing we will get pictures late next month?

I suspect so but only if SC is going to be a June release.

Here in Italy this theme schedules for june. Unfortunately, still no photos.

Edited by carlo.fadel

Yes Lego really seem to be dragging their heels with releasing some pictures.

I was hoping they would at least show us one set earlier on like what they did last year with the Jaguar set. Hopefully pictures might drop around Easter time at the beginning of April

I bought the AliExpress Lamborghini Countach, the Ford Eleanor and the pink 50’s car to hold me over. They were delivered on 20 days, not bad.   Will build them in April, pictures to follow soon after.  

I've been following these speed champions threads for years, mostly to keep up with leaks. I thought i'd drop in now because we all seem to be waiting for the new stuff. I've taken up re modelling my 6 wide favorites into 8 wide. Here is an attempt at the McLaren Senna. It still has the red lid from the Ferrari base that was used to make it. I'd be interested in comment or feedback I can upload other photos too if people are interested.

906357084_IMG_60231.jpg.f15285cfca58c7f10c2251e385107c2e.jpg

3 hours ago, Brickamari said:

I've been following these speed champions threads for years, mostly to keep up with leaks. I thought i'd drop in now because we all seem to be waiting for the new stuff. I've taken up re modelling my 6 wide favorites into 8 wide. Here is an attempt at the McLaren Senna. It still has the red lid from the Ferrari base that was used to make it. I'd be interested in comment or feedback I can upload other photos too if people are interested.

This looks brilliant!

It seems to be a popular thing at the moment people converting their models to 8 stud or 7 stud, what models are you doing next?

4 hours ago, Brickamari said:

It is fine! Very interesting what you did with other models.

In order not to worry about the size of the minifigures - we need to make minivans :D  They can definitely be comparable to her height.

51022329328_259551edd9_c.jpg

21 hours ago, Brickamari said:

This is great! I really like all the conversions between 6-wide and either 7-wide or 8-wide.

I am also someone who has been following these posts to keep up with leaks and i thought i might join in to share some of my mocs and watch for news.

Regarding the scale problem with minifigs: it's hard to see a lego dude as anything like a real person so I just like to suspend scale criticism, nice mini van though. Here is another I did of the Mustang. This is the first gen, it looks right from the top and in proportion, but i've been having problems with the scale along the side profile I can't get the wheels half a square across so they seem too close or too far apart. I'm currently shortening it but it looks too square and proportionally its now the same size as the 8 wide ferrari. It's built off the base of a 8 wide skyline so that driver is co pilot. Next i'm going to try the Ferrari FXX K from a couple of years ago, it was, in my opinion one of the worst cars, it looked very little like the original concept.

307951600_IMG_6027p.jpg.06cfb3b2e45961432c18a84bba89f6b0.jpg

I have posted a few of my cars in this thread; 

I'd love to get some feedback!

Does anyone think we will be getting any new rim designs for some of the sets like the supra or elva? Both of these cars seem to be fitted with two tone diamond cut wheels so it would be cool if LEGO could get the black rims and print chrome/silver onto them? Would be pretty awesome but I doubt LEGO would do that :sad:

On 3/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, User5346 said:

Does anyone think we will be getting any new rim designs for some of the sets like the supra or elva? Both of these cars seem to be fitted with two tone diamond cut wheels so it would be cool if LEGO could get the black rims and print chrome/silver onto them? Would be pretty awesome but I doubt LEGO would do that :sad:

Not out of the question for sure, but I think most of the existing designs cover a broad range and usually get the idea across. Off the top of my head the last new rim design was for the F40 but I'll happily be corrected if that's wrong.