I've said it before and I'll say it again. Moving to 8-wide was a genius move by Lego. The 6-wides were too toy-like, too narrow, not enough detail able to be put into them. I only bought half a dozen out of all the 6-wides. I bought every single one of the 2020 range.

They're perfect mini-models - highly detailed models in a fairly small scale, with a decent building experience and a decent price too for the single cars. No wonder they're some of the top-selling sets of last year. I can't wait to see what this year's sets look like.

I'm not yet convinced by 8-wide but I'm probably in the minority. If they can somehow up the size of the wheels a bit that'll help a whole lot.

Having picked up the Elva polybag the other day I'm also hoping we get more polybags. It being 5-wide gets such a nice balance between accurate proportions and detail, which the Lambo polybag didn't really manage. For such a small set I'm really impressed by it. I miss Tiny Turbos so if LEGO wanna make more polybags, I'm all for it.

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

I'm not yet convinced by 8-wide but I'm probably in the minority. If they can somehow up the size of the wheels a bit that'll help a whole lot.

Having picked up the Elva polybag the other day I'm also hoping we get more polybags. It being 5-wide gets such a nice balance between accurate proportions and detail, which the Lambo polybag didn't really manage. For such a small set I'm really impressed by it. I miss Tiny Turbos so if LEGO wanna make more polybags, I'm all for it.

If we take the proportions of real cars, then the width should be between 7 and 8 pin. I would also like the wheels a little more, but this reguires new arches, so we are unlikely to see this.

The biggest problem for me is the minifigures look too low against the background of cars :)

2 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

The wheel size is fine, Brickset did an article on it last year. In terms of the size ratio, the wheels should actually be smaller if you want a consistent ratio between all parts of the car.

8 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

The wheel size is fine, Brickset did an article on it last year. In terms of the size ratio, the wheels should actually be smaller if you want a consistent ratio between all parts of the car.

Aha, I'll have to go and look that article up in that case. Perhaps it's the relative size to the minifigures as @dimka_ya suggested - there's definitely something that looks off (to me, anyway!) that didn't with 6-wide, I just can't put my finger on what it is.

3 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Aha, I'll have to go and look that article up in that case. Perhaps it's the relative size to the minifigures as @dimka_ya suggested - there's definitely something that looks off (to me, anyway!) that didn't with 6-wide, I just can't put my finger on what it is.

Yeah they do look too small admittedly but apparently that's not the case!

I haven't been able to find the article unfortunately. It would have came out somewhere between end of 2019 to early 2020.

Edited by Anonknee Muss

On 12/7/2020 at 5:40 AM, AbFab1974 said:

As I said earlier in this thread, I'd love a Bugatti Centodieci in 8 Studs; this supercar is simply SO gorgeous!

...And again being too impatient, I had to create it myself.

Here it is  - quite please with the result I must admit :-))

Lego Speed Champions - Bugatti Centodieci 8 Studs | Flickr

@AbFab1974 Do you take comissions? I have a car I'd like in Lego but I don't believe I can do it as good

Here is the link of the wheel article from brickset: https://brickset.com/article/47661/are-the-wheels-of-the-8-wide-ferrari-too-small

I definitely think the wheels on those type of cars (supercars) are fine, but what I’ll like to see changed are the wheels for SUVs, like the Urus and jag. If they make a new wheel that would mean they would have to make new rims as well to fit them, which I think would be worth it as I hate the wheels on the Urus tbh

36 minutes ago, User5346 said:

Here is the link of the wheel article from bricksethttps://brickset.com/article/47661/are-the-wheels-of-the-8-wide-ferrari-too-small

I definitely think the wheels on those type of cars (supercars) are fine, but what I’ll like to see changed are the wheels for SUVs, like the Urus and jag. If they make a new wheel that would mean they would have to make new rims as well to fit them, which I think would be worth it as I hate the wheels on the Urus tbh

And new slyghtly longer legs for minifigures to look better together :classic:

That's what confuses me about the SC series. On the left is the base (oficial) model and the standart minifigure. On the right - stretched to 7 pins and a minifigure on a stand of two plates. Looks better in my opinion. Increasing the width of the car to 8 pin makes it too wide and requires an increase in height - the minifigure lags behind even further :look:
mJk2A8UCzBU.jpg?size=800x308&quality=96&sign=56c483899510861fb98cc97c68503628&type=album

The problem is the strange dimensions of the minifigs. They're simply far too short for their width, and the 8-wide cars really show that up - the minifigs don't scale well with them height-wise. I don't mind too much, because when they're in the car they look fine.

19 hours ago, Paperballpark said:

The problem is the strange dimensions of the minifigs. They're simply far too short for their width, and the 8-wide cars really show that up - the minifigs don't scale well with them height-wise. I don't mind too much, because when they're in the car they look fine.

Right, this comes back to the classic LEGO conundrum: there is no such thing as minifig scale as it pertains to human proportions, because minifigs are not to scale with people. You can scale something to a minifig's height, or to its width, or to its approximate mass/size, and all three will yield somewhat different results.

I know this isn't a new topic, but I still favor 6-wide for its ability to integrate more cleanly into City scale stuff, and to be closer to what "minifig scale" means in my mind. 8-wide offers tremendously more detail, but at the cost of fitting into City scale builds (and fitting in with the older 6-wide cars), which is enough of a shame to me that I don't think I'll ever prefer the 8-wides. I don't display these on their own, I display them with figs and buildings, so context matters a lot to me. I'm still really excited to check out these 2021 offerings, though.

Edited by Carbohydrates

I don't think that I will ever really get used to or accept 8 - wide. To the extent that I actually plan to convert 8 - wide back to 6 - wide. Partly for the continuity with the earlier Speed Champs sets and partly because aesthetically at least, the wheels at 8 - wide now 'appear' too small to my eye. I accept that the original 6 - wide speed champions also appear too narrow when viewed head on, but I only ever display them with their side on view profile anyway and in that context wheel size is everything. I also really enjoy the challenge of trying to correct the 6 - wide speed champs sets. It is difficult to correct the 8 - wide sets as we can't really adjust the wheel arches. That said, I do support all the 8 - wide set releases. Those sets just mean extra Speed Champs relevant pieces and stickers to me, so it's win-win in that sense. The 8 - wide Lambo is fantastic though.

Edited by McLaren

Like many of you all I was a bit unsure with the whole increase in size from 6 stud to 8 stud and I believe whichever you favour depends on how you display the models.

If you like 6 stud you probably have your Speed Champs cars in your city/town setups or used with other buildings sets etc as it fits better with other vehicles etc

If you like 8 stud you probably just display them all together on a shelf or in a display cabinet (this is what I do)

It be interesting to see if there is any wheel change, however I wish Lego will just hurry up and show us some pictures!

18 hours ago, McLaren said:

I don't think that I will ever really get used to or accept 8 - wide. To the extent that I actually plan to convert 8 - wide back to 6 - wide. Partly for the continuity with the earlier Speed Champs sets and partly because aesthetically at least, the wheels at 8 - wide now 'appear' too small to my eye. I accept that the original 6 - wide speed champions also appear too narrow when viewed head on, but I only ever display them with their side on view profile anyway and in that context wheel size is everything. I also really enjoy the challenge of trying to correct the 6 - wide speed champs sets. It is difficult to correct the 8 - wide sets as we can't really adjust the wheel arches. That said, I do support all the 8 - wide set releases. Those sets just mean extra Speed Champs relevant pieces and stickers to me, so it's win-win in that sense. The 8 - wide Lambo is fantastic though.

I do the exact opposite - I'm in the process of converting my (many) 6-wide cars to 8-wide. This is the beauty of this hobby, we can all do exactly as we wish! 

8 hours ago, jpx said:

I'm in the process of converting my (many) 6-wide cars to 8-wide.

I think a lot of us here would love to see some pictures when you get them done!

On 2/25/2021 at 9:49 PM, dimka_ya said:

That's what confuses me about the SC series. On the left is the base (oficial) model and the standart minifigure. On the right - stretched to 7 pins and a minifigure on a stand of two plates. Looks better in my opinion. Increasing the width of the car to 8 pin makes it too wide and requires an increase in height - the minifigure lags behind even further :look:
mJk2A8UCzBU.jpg?size=800x308&quality=96&sign=56c483899510861fb98cc97c68503628&type=album

I know y'all are aware but toy car scale is often way off and usually has wheels/tires larger than they should be (HotWheels, Matchbox, etc.). Lego scale is even more wacky.  A real GT40 is about waist-height to a typical person, and it's tires are about knee height. Even for modern cars with 19" or 20" diameter wheels, they're not even close to sternum height the way most speed champions tires are to a minifig. 

(pic in larger size here: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/84/7e/67/847e67df9f1e0aadf6abcae0cfb0d2ce.jpg)

I would have meant a total paradigm shift and a bunch of new parts, but I kinda wish they would have gone to 7-wide for Speed Champions. Would have been nice in terms of detail but also have a chance at still fitting on a city street. 

GT40 no.72_very small.jpg

18 hours ago, User5346 said:

I think a lot of us here would love to see some pictures when you get them done!

I agree with that would love to see what anyone has done making the older 6 stud vehicles into 8 or 7 stud wide versions.

I would love to see what people do with the Dodge Demon, one of my favourite cars I did like what Lego did with the model however though it looked a bit to long and narrow and the Dodge Demon is anything but narrow 

16 hours ago, jimmythefly said:

I know y'all are aware but toy car scale is often way off and usually has wheels/tires larger than they should be (HotWheels, Matchbox, etc.). Lego scale is even more wacky.  A real GT40 is about waist-height to a typical person, and it's tires are about knee height.

I've seen people who build cars close to what minifig scale "should" be based on height, and the models are tiny. They're usually 4 or 5 studs wide and far too small to actually fit a minifig. Taking things to this extreme really forces us to face the limitations of the minifig and accept that any car that fits one inside is just not going to scale accurately to a fig's height.

That said, it did strike me how tall LEGO's GT40 was, considering it's supposed to be a legendarily short car. This is as low as I was able to get it while still fitting a minifig in the cabin. It's still too tall, of course, but at least mine doesn't tower over minifigs anymore!

fnw2LOG.jpg

To be honest, to me anyway, even the six wide SC cars look to big in a standard city setup, especially when you add trucks and buses with them. 

So I applaud the switch to eight wide, the cars look so less cartoonish, with much more detail and closer to properly scaled dimensions, wheels and all.

Definitely looks funny with the minifigures though, no denying that, unless actually seated in the vehicle.

I just don't see a valid point on making Speed Champions to fit with City, two totally different themes, accept it.

54 minutes ago, LegoMFP_David said:

I agree with that would love to see what anyone has done making the older 6 stud vehicles into 8 or 7 stud wide versions.

I would love to see what people do with the Dodge Demon, one of my favourite cars I did like what Lego did with the model however though it looked a bit to long and narrow and the Dodge Demon is anything but narrow 

PGE6-mwLKAI.jpg?size=800x350&quality=96&sign=f051b7d4bbb790551d0bfcd6c322394f&type=album

If you just take the instruction and assemble a 7pin wide car, then the problem is mainly only with the glass. and then if think about it, can find a solution. 

I just wanted to see how they look :)

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

I just don't see a valid point on making Speed Champions to fit with City, two totally different themes, accept it.

This feels like a pretty harsh statement! I would prefer not to accept it. I like to integrate Speed Champions-scale vehicles into minifig-scale City builds and I'll accept that the scale isn't perfect, but I'm not willing to accept that this integration is somehow invalid. It's LEGO.

Edited by Carbohydrates

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

To be honest, to me anyway, even the six wide SC cars look to big in a standard city setup, especially when you add trucks and buses with them. 

But can that really be a valid point given how big most of the trucks are in the City theme nowadays though? Just a though I had. 

Edited by Brandon Pea