Sign in to follow this  
Mesabi

[COR-FB1] A Return to Counting

Type: Small commercial

Darby entered the study, to find Count Mesabi finalizing the 621 WTC budget.

50301203811_985b49c868_z.jpg

"Ah, Darby, my loyal accountant. I'd like you to take a look at these numbers, I think you'll find them, invigorating." With a disturbed enthusiasm.

"Alright, looking at the list of expenses... why is our expense account total listed as "i"? Asked a very confused Darby.

50301203901_2bcda1ee73_z.jpg

"Because it's impossible for us to lose money! Thus, our expenses are an imaginary number!" Said the Count enthusiastically. 

"That's not even how- Wait, and why do we gain money under "possible ship losses?" Asked Darby, exhaustedly

"Because we don't have to pay the crews anymore, so it's a net profit." Said the Count. "Unlike my attempt to use giraffe as a substitute for Horse products."

50300517238_a421f35a99_z.jpg

"Where did it go wrong? Their necks should have given us more than enough meat, and bones for glue!" muttered the Count, dejected.

50301203271_17a1b647ef_z.jpg

"And now, I've got a storeroom full of pickled Giraffe meat that no one wants to buy."

"Sir? The Budget? I don't think the shareholders would appreciate projected profits to be quote 'Eleventy zillion and one of those big stone coins or two or whatever.' " Replied Darby, in a concerned tone. 

50301203591_5044f26b84_z.jpg

"Plus the shipping costs from Telvok, I know those traders screwed us Darby! Courtesy Fees!?!" Yelled the Count

"I'm just going to need to do this by myself, aren't I?" muttered Darby.

FIN

Well, this is my first real build since January of 2019. I tried to pay attention to the concerns I've heard over the years, namely bricks pressed down, techniques, and Photography. I feel like this build really rectified most of those (I think I see one of the floor tiles not fully pressed in, but it's not super jarring, imho) but if anyone has any comments about things I could improve on, let me know. 

The original story of this build was this was the Count's living room in his Port Raleigh mansion, and he had a secret illegal horse glue factory in the basement. @Darnok pointed out that this kinda was silly, as there was no good reason for horse glue to be illegal, and after a few story and build revisions, I just turned the lower level into a standard 'commerce-storeroom' build. I'm pretty happy with this one, but I still need to get out some elements out of storage. I couldn't find any TNT bricks to hide in the build! :pir-bawling:

Here are some pictures of the full build. My baseplate here this weird, 32x34 minifig-flesh-yellow one I've had since childhood, so it looks rather weird in the pictures. I cropped those out of the story shots, but to see the full build they kinda poke out. 

Spoiler

C&C appreciated!

Edited by Mesabi
nitpicking

I like your first build of 2020 ! Both rooms are decorated enough and have suffient detail to stand out. The story is funny too. You have definitively grown in quality!

4 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

Great build!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Fraunces said:

I like your first build of 2020 ! Both rooms are decorated enough and have suffient detail to stand out. The story is funny too. You have definitively grown in quality!

Thank you! I really hope I have, I think the time off helped lol. 

2 hours ago, Count Vroskri said:

Amazing @Mesabi is back. Another great build from you. 

Thank you @Count Vroskri! Good to see another Count on the Brick Seas. 

Nice to have the Count back in the Brick Seas Mesabi and especially with such a good little build. It was immediately obvious to me when I first saw this on Flickr the extra care and time you took with this one - great work! The floor pattern and colours are a stand out for me and nice piece use with the CMF giraffe.

On 9/3/2020 at 12:44 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Excellent one and funny story.

That's a good small commercial.

I will have a look on your giraffe meat trading business.

:pir-love:

Thanks @Professor Thaum. I got a CMF giraffe guy, and I'm determined to use it!

4 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Nice to have the Count back in the Brick Seas Mesabi and especially with such a good little build. It was immediately obvious to me when I first saw this on Flickr the extra care and time you took with this one - great work! The floor pattern and colours are a stand out for me and nice piece use with the CMF giraffe.

Thanks @Ayrlego! I really think the 2x2 Jumper plate floors always turn out well.

What a nice comeback! Clean build and a funny story to accompany it. I like the use of the giraffe's head as decoration and the book case. I do think the horse meat business is economically more viable though :laugh:.

On 9/5/2020 at 3:29 AM, Khorne said:

What a nice comeback! Clean build and a funny story to accompany it. I like the use of the giraffe's head as decoration and the book case. I do think the horse meat business is economically more viable though :laugh:.

Thanks Khorne! I can't take credit for the Bookcase, it came from the Dr. Strange Set, and I've used it as one of my default props.

8 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Come on! Stop killing cute animals!!! :pir-grin:

It's a fact of life that the more cute an animal is, the tastier it'll be! :pir-laugh:

On 9/5/2020 at 2:50 AM, Ayrlego said:

Nice to have the Count back in the Brick Seas

Not sure my characters can support this statement :pir-grin:

But OOC, I do, and happy to see with such an excellent build and the count back in excellent form!

I dare say, with the Sand Castle challenge on Tortuga, the WTC could have made a killing on giraffe glue to help hold the sand castles together. Would have given those fish oil peddlers a run for their money. But that is CLEARLY an oversight on Darby's part :pir-grin:

On 9/7/2020 at 5:50 AM, Bregir said:

Not sure my characters can support this statement :pir-grin:

But OOC, I do, and happy to see with such an excellent build and the count back in excellent form!

Thanks Bregir!

5 hours ago, Corweena said:

I dare say, with the Sand Castle challenge on Tortuga, the WTC could have made a killing on giraffe glue to help hold the sand castles together. Would have given those fish oil peddlers a run for their money. But that is CLEARLY an oversight on Darby's part :pir-grin:

:pir-laugh: .:thumbup:   :pir-laugh:

Edited by Mesabi

The giraffe interjection was quite humerous ... All in all it was a good build with good photo angles ... I might recommend making walls removable or on hinges for unobstructed photoing as the "hall" photo looking into the archways is blurry at the foreground.