Count Vroskri

[WIP] Building a new hull frigate

On 12/12/2020 at 5:38 PM, Sebeus I said:

Great looking ship so far!

I guess I'm a bit too late with this since you progressed this much already but I actually designed a better solution for the stern than what I had for my previous ships.

this is the hull of "La Beatrice" (new version of the Beatrix)

rear_20201208_004033.jpg

(Sorry for the bad quality of the image)

This looks really good!

On 12/13/2020 at 2:38 AM, Sebeus I said:

I guess I'm a bit too late with this since you progressed this much already but I actually designed a better solution for the stern than what I had for my previous ships.

It is never too late to share valuable wisdom and knowledge! :pir-thumb:

8 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

@Sebeus I

Do you have more high quality photos of this build?

dsc02836.jpg

I am sorry to say that you are totally derailing my topic. @Sebeus I's original post was relating to my frigate but this is not. It would be better as a private message or a separate topic. 

19 minutes ago, Count Vroskri said:

I am sorry to say that you are totally derailing my topic. @Sebeus I's original post was relating to my frigate but this is not. It would be better as a private message or a separate topic. 

Since this hull is custom brick built, I thought that it would be helpful for this topic.

But OK.

Edited by Brickander Brickumnus

12 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

Any updates on this?  I can't wait to see how this one turns out, Count.

Thanks for your enthusiasm. Currently still a WIP, although I have done some experiments.. I'm also building a frigate in Stud. Io which I may post. 

1 minute ago, Count Vroskri said:

Currently still a WIP, although I have done some experiments.. I'm also building a frigate in Stud. Io which I may post. 

Interested to see the updates as well!

11 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Interested to see the updates as well!

Thanks.. Might add the updates for both frigates... If anyone's interested. 

10 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

I'm interested!

Brilliant. I'll see what I can do. 

Well my mildy unsuccessful frigate-building activities are back, by popular demand. But this time, it's a six midsection frigate. These are my renders if the WIP so far.( First picture is the oldest, last is the newest) 

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Cannons!

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Frigate WIP

Some of this is still preliminary, but let me know what you think! 

You're not going to try your hand at a tapered hull?

Other than that, I'd say you're off to a pretty good start.  The color scheme looks nice, and the guns are well spaced.  I would suggest maybe putting some ladders in the sides, but other than this this looks great.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:40 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

You're not going to try your hand at a tapered hull?

Other than that, I'd say you're off to a pretty good start.  The color scheme looks nice, and the guns are well spaced.  I would suggest maybe putting some ladders in the sides, but other than this this looks great.

Thanks, I am going to do a tapered hull, that's next on my to do list.. I am going to perfect that one side before doing the other. 

Side view

Started a tapered hull, although it looks kind of square.

Started Curves

Top view. 

How's it looking? 

Definitely an improvement, IMO!  I'm interested to see how the finished product looks.

Will you be extending the grey part of the hull further aft?

2 hours ago, Cousarmy0001 said:

Definitely an improvement, IMO!  I'm interested to see how the finished product looks.

Will you be extending the grey part of the hull further aft?

I think so.. It's not grey but black. 

Some more shots, changes to colour scheme, this side is almost done.

One side is almost done!

One side is almost done!

Compared to five midsection hull. 

4 hours ago, kurigan said:

Why the window frames in side the gun ports? 

:pir-huzzah2:

It was used on the BSB 2.0 and I thought it was good, but now I am thinking of deleting them. They are only still there because they help with building the sides. 

Ah, ok. Cool. I figured it might be something structural at first, but then thought "He might know if a feature I don't. Wouldn't be a first. Might as well ask, might learn something..." So I did :pir-wink:. My mind was working around, perhaps an iron hoop to start the muzzles to, or some kind of contrived gun sight. Maybe just something you saw on some obscure admiralty plans. Makes as much sense as anything. Any way, looking good so far.

Cheers :pir-huzzah2:

32 minutes ago, kurigan said:

Any way, looking good so far.

Thanks! Hopefully some more updates by next week. Next on the agenda is finishing the bow and stern.

On 3/7/2021 at 7:32 PM, kurigan said:

Why the window frames in side the gun ports? 

:pir-huzzah2:

Depending on the scale and color way for your gunport stripes, I've found that the windows are good support for the modified plate that's the hinge for the gunport covers. If you build in the 21322 style with slopes giving the hull tumblehome, you would either need to support the modified plates with a longer plate stacked on TOP of the slope, or you would have a cover hinging open without any bottom support. 

If you do as I described with a plate on top of the tumblehome slope, most likely your gunports will be too high and your stripe/slope/tumblehome too low. Another trick the window allows is you can alter the height of your ports independently of the tumblehome, so you can "bury" the modified plate offset "inside" the sloped bricks and the covers won't be hinged so far outboard of your hull sides. 

Anyway... I'm a fan of that technique when used correctly. Nice WIP @Count Vroskri, interested to see more. 

5 hours ago, Supersick_ said:

Anyway... I'm a fan of that technique when used correctly. Nice WIP @Count Vroskri, interested to see more. 

Thank very much, more coming soon!