Sign in to follow this  
LIVEnannino

How to classify damage on LEGO set box?

Hello everyone, i am curious about this topic, since i always tried to buy online old LEGO set but i never understood how to recognize a damaged set.
For example, today the courier delivered to me the LEGO Star Wars Tantive IV, and once opened the expedition package, i've found a little "scratch" on the top side of the box.

I'cant really say the cause of that damage, but i guess that it come from the inside, as a piece inside perforated the box.
Opinion about the value of the set with this damage? does it affects the possibility to sell it in future?
20200901-160220-compressed.jpg

Edited by LIVEnannino
problem with image

If selling it, I would call it "shelf wear". It is unlikely to affect the value significantly.

I guess what you do depends on why you bought it in the first place. Did you buy it to sell it on? Which retailer was it from?

17 minutes ago, MAB said:

If selling it, I would call it "shelf wear". It is unlikely to affect the value significantly.

I guess what you do depends on why you bought it in the first place. Did you buy it to sell it on? Which retailer was it from?

I've bought to sell it in future (i've one displayed in my room, and now i've bought a second one to sell it after it will be retired from the market).

I bought it from an italian online store. Do you think that is better to send it back and ask for another one?

Edited by LIVEnannino

Psssh, that is utterly ruined and destroyed there's no way anyone on the entire planet could ever open that up and build and enjoy it with the product packaging in such terrible condition and the entire thing should be returned to the seller and then to Lego and both of them should be fined and sanctioned for such horrible inexplicable wickedness. /s :sadnew:

5 minutes ago, LIVEnannino said:

I've bought to sell it in future (i've one displayed in my room, and now i've bought a second one to sell it after it will be retired from the market).

If you're so worried about the potential future resale value then contact the seller with this and let this thread die quickly.

The absurdity that is discontinued Lego set profiteering.

34 minutes ago, LIVEnannino said:

I bought it from an italian online store. Do you think that is better to send it back and ask for another one?

It depends on the store, but you could well be banned from buying from them again if you return items such as that one saying they are damaged. This is often an excuse used to return something at their cost rather than the purchaser's cost when they change their mind about the purchase after receiving it.

It's a tiny little scratch.  Describe it as "slight shelf wear" when you sell the NIB set in ten years and maybe it'll sell for 9.9 times RRP instead of 10.0 times RRP.  Don't worry about it!

I have to say that i'm new in the "LEGO investment" world, so i started to worry about the little scratch. 

1 hour ago, icm said:

It's a tiny little scratch.  Describe it as "slight shelf wear" when you sell the NIB set in ten years and maybe it'll sell for 9.9 times RRP instead of 10.0 times RRP.  Don't worry about it!

wow it's really possible that this set will reach 9 times the RRP?

1 hour ago, MAB said:

It depends on the store, but you could well be banned from buying from them again if you return items such as that one saying they are damaged. This is often an excuse used to return something at their cost rather than the purchaser's cost when they change their mind about the purchase after receiving it.

But if i ask for another same set, i think that they will understand that i have not changed my mind on the purchase.

I've emailed the store, tomorrow morning hopefully they will respond.

Oh and by the way, thanks everybody for teaching when use this terms like NIB, Shelf Wear. There is difference between NIB and NISB?

Edited by LIVEnannino

The 10x figure was exaggeration.  I don't know what the peak aftermarket price of the set will be.  Here are synonyms:

NIB, new in box

NISB, new in sealed box

MIB, mint in box

MISB, mint in sealed box

Etc

3 minutes ago, icm said:

The 10x figure was exaggeration.  I don't know what the peak aftermarket price of the set will be.  Here are synonyms:

NIB, new in box

NISB, new in sealed box

MIB, mint in box

MISB, mint in sealed box

Etc

I hope in an 3x at least, it would be great! anyway so in case i will have to stay with this set, i will say that is a NISB but not a MISB because of the imperfection of the box, right?

Well, since the Tantive IV is an expensive set, you're likely to make more money if the box isn't damaged.

Personally, I don't care about box conditions and I haven't sold a set in my life, but from my personal experience I could tell that many people cares about box conditions.

Edited by JintaiZ

UPDATE:

i've emailed the store asking for a replacement, they asked me for photo of the damaged box, and than they sent to me a courier to take the LEGO set. Today i've received the new LEGO set and it's perfect!