Bublehead

Has the pandemic slowed your building?

9 hours ago, Bublehead said:

A self deprecatingly asked question was a bit rhetorical, and also a bit tongue in cheek,  but to say “look, he has Lego guilt!” was not the point, or the question asked.  I was finding I am building more, posting way less, mostly because I have no interest to display my creations, and its not due to guilt, not by a long shot.  

I don't know what you mean by "Lego guilt."  Curious to hear your interpretation. 

9 hours ago, Bublehead said:

But if you say people don’t post their MOCs on here to stroke their egos, who’s fooling who thinking that?

I wouldn't say you are incorrect here... but I would say that this interpretation is at one end of the extreme.  The other extreme end of the spectrum would be perhaps someone who, artist or engineer, only builds to him or herself.  Never shares anything. 

Again, you're not wrong, but I don't think that extremes represent reality very well.  The reality is somewhere probably in the middle.  Every artist or engineer seeks to be relevant at some point, and that is completely normal.  No reason to vilify a trait that makes one human.  Posting one's creations just for some relevance or recognition isn't necessarily stroking one's ego.  In fact, the exact opposite of the extreme, staying completely to oneself, especially in a pandemic is not necessarily healthy either. 

10 hours ago, Bublehead said:

But if you say people don’t post their MOCs on here to stroke their egos, who’s fooling who thinking that?

Even if this was meant tongue-in-cheek, I think it's too simplistic, and even irrelevant to your main question. If I want to have my ego stroked, I'll simply go to the office and yell at my subordinates. Posting stuff here won't achieve that because I can't see your fearful faces. I'm here because I genuinely take pleasure in being in the company of people with a shared hobby. No fooling required to explain that.

Pandemic started me building Lego Technic.  After lockdown bought 42108, 42109, 42110, 42095, 42096 and 42078. Also bought me an Sbrick and 3 Buwizz. Dammit, must be an adiction. :pir-tongue:

I started the first month or so of lockdown surprised by how much free time I now had (Suddenly not having to go to college, do college work, or revise/sit exams), which I decided to spend making some progress on the MOC’s that I hadn’t had much time to work on over the year. 
but at some point during my time off from my studies, and I’m still not sure what caused this (lockdown or something else?), my ability to build stuff as I was doing at the start of lockdown seemed to vanish, and every time I sat down at my desk with the intention of grabbing a few pieces and makIng some progress on my MOC’s, I just couldn’t, it sounds odd but I found myself just sitting starring at my half-completed builds, not really doing anything.
Annoyingly for me, this has carried on for a while now, and I’m still doing it - the weirdest part for me to get my head around is that I still enjoy Lego, and I always sit down at my desk with the intention of building stuff, but it’s almost like I’m finding it hard to think of solutions to problems and my mind just goes blank, hence the starring:laugh_hard::hmpf_bad:.

Essay over, to sum up I’m not sure whether or not it’s the world’s current situation that’s affected my building, but I don’t think it’s made it any better.

18 hours ago, Dylan M said:

More Big Set to come

They would usually come out in June/July/August

There are two kinds of jobs, those who have work are drowned in it or those who have nothing to do.

I'm one of the second ones, so i had many time for gardening and building MOCs.

With luck there will be a small exhibition in berlin in three weeks...

1 hour ago, HUWI said:

There are two kinds of jobs, those who have work are drowned in it or those who have nothing to do.

I'm one of the second ones, so i had many time for gardening and building MOCs.

With luck there will be a small exhibition in berlin in three weeks...

Or those who just work hard put in the long hours. I'd love to be able to sit down for a couple of hours and lego....

23 hours ago, All_About_Lego said:

my ability to build stuff as I was doing at the start of lockdown seemed to vanish, and every time I sat down at my desk with the intention of grabbing a few pieces and makIng some progress on my MOC’s, I just couldn’t

Same here. Could be some kind of side-effect from 'not being able to take part in normal life'-mode I guess...

I started (re-)organizing my hobby-room and building some existing MOCs from Rebrickable to fill the 'void'. 

Definitely building more. Helped that I was out of work for several weeks. But I've finished off several MOCs that have lain dormant since before my son was born and started to make progress parting out sets and figures to sell. Even managed to get a few international (european) BL orders through though they took longer than usual.

By the way.... I find myself quite saddened by the anti religion theme in this thread, which was introduced on an irrelevant tangeant anyway. Ego stroking is just as easily applied to worldview as MOCpages and I'd like to think this was a more inclusive forum. For context, I am a Christian and I have spent far more time over the last 30 years building Lego than i have either a) at church or b) killing people.

5 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Or those who just work hard put in the long hours.

That's what i mean.

When pandemic started, we moved to work from home. I thought, that I will have more time for cycling etc. ...

Really I started to work at the time, when I started to drive to work previously, ended work later than I retunrned from work by car in normal situation. Also, not all time was spent for work, lot of time was spent as a teacher, as I have two children, who also were at home all the time. 

5 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

My answer to the topic question would be NO. My building was already very slow before the pandemic :wink:

And now it's going to be even slower...

Also adding to the problem as mentioned by others, Lego has slowed to a crawl (or worse) on parts orders... Ordered 6 hubs on July 27, Just recieved them September 3rd...  reminds me of the old late nite infomercials - "please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery"

Took 35 days to receive an order from Lego for 4 pce. 40T gears.

Some parts ordered from Vietnam was quicker, even with a delay from the German postal service.

11 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Same here. Could be some kind of side-effect from 'not being able to take part in normal life'-mode I guess...

I started (re-)organizing my hobby-room and building some existing MOCs from Rebrickable to fill the 'void'. 

Maybe your right, I’ve even wondered if it’s the opposite - with ‘normal life’ becoming something different, i.e doing the same routine things every day, which can get quite monotonous...:wink:

I also tried reorganising - which definitely helped for a few days, although building existing MOC’s is a good idea which I had not thought of - I suppose it may help me to become inspired by other builds and get my ‘creative juices’ flowing again!:blush:

2 hours ago, MajklSpajkl said:

Any slower could be noted as zero... :cry_sad:

How sad...

I should say no because my build was already slow before the pandemic, even now that I am building something my desire to build has decreased a lot, I do not know well the reasons but they are for another post.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:00 AM, Redroe said:

I find myself quite saddened by the anti religion theme

Thats fine, but please remember anti-religion is just as valid as pro-religion. I've just as much right to be saddened by the the continual wars caused by religion as you are to be saddened by my anti-religion views. Our opinions are equally valid, anyone who says they're not is an idiot.. i may disagree with you, but i at least, respect your opinion.

And it wasn't irrelevant, there have been news reals full of deaths from wars over oil and religion for decades but suddenly covig is a cause to re-evaluate lego.. wars for oil and religion kill far more, but aren't on mainland america or europe. Covig is hence my question about that as i felt the original question was because its was too-close-to-home and lacked perspective on global deaths..

30 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Thats fine, but please remember anti-religion is just as valid as pro-religion. I've just as much right to be saddened by the the continual wars caused by religion as you are to be saddened by my anti-religion views. Our opinions are equally valid, anyone who says they're not is an idiot.. i may disagree with you, but i at least, respect your opinion.

And it wasn't irrelevant, there have been news reals full of deaths from wars over oil and religion for decades but suddenly covig is a cause to re-evaluate lego.. wars for oil and religion kill far more, but aren't on mainland america or europe. Covig is hence my question about that as i felt the original question was because its was too-close-to-home and lacked perspective on global deaths..

Yes, fine. I didn't think the original question was very well constructed either, but a few people seemed to enjoy the joke about imaginary friends. I quite understand people not entertaining religious views. But one can't be tolerant of a different party's viewpoint on one hand and ridicule it with the other, as it were.

I only piped up because I spend a fair bit of time at work, socially etc. being forced to defend my view from people whose default setting is that religion is poisonous, destructive, outdated etc.... i've enjoyed some time out from such things since lockdown started tbh. I'm afraid you rubbed a sore nerve. Nothing personal.

Gosh, we do love a rabbit hole, don't we?

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

I didn't think the original question was very well constructed either,

The thread title was the only original question...   not sure why religion, war, and “Lego guilt” (someone’s else’s term, not mine) entered into the conversation ?

19 hours ago, Bublehead said:

The thread title was the only original question...   not sure why religion, war, and “Lego guilt” (someone’s else’s term, not mine) entered into the conversation ?

Sorry, yeah, the thread title is the original question. I meant the ego stroking thing which got a few backs up though I am sure it was meant with tongue in cheek. The thread title is a perfectly fine and interesting question and the range of replies shows just how varied people's different experiences of lockdown have been.

I shall now stop digging my hole. Sorry chaps. Someone take my shovel?

As for lego guilt, well... I only feel that when anonymous amazon packages arrive at the house and my wife rolls her eyes as I scurry into the spare room with it. She had the goodness to comment that there were fewer of them since lockdown started, but that's because she has been at work while I haven't. :wink: