Sign in to follow this  
MAB

Selling instructions for MOCs - clarity

Physical items for sale have to go into the correct area of the site - in the "buy, sell, trade" section.

It would be good if similar guidelines could be made for selling non-physical items, such as instructions to make it clear that they are for sale and not for free. For example, when someone posts their MOC and says instructions are available here, and you click a link and it takes you through to rebrickable or another store where they are for purchase. It would be better if there was a rule that if this is for a paid for download item, then the creator would have to write that the instructions are FOR SALE at .... rather than "available". That is, make it clear on the EB post that they are posting to make money from the instructions. Even better if they said the price before clicking through.

I have nothing against people making money from selling instructions, just that it should be clear that is what they are doing in the EB post.

For people selling instructions, they should sell them on rebrickable or bricklink.

I really don't see any point in making a rule about something like that. If they say the instructions are available, they are available. If it's free or paid, there's no point in forcing specific wording or forcing users to put the post in another forum section for it.  If, however, users are doing this to get around the B/S/T rules, please report the post.

19 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

I really don't see any point in making a rule about something like that. If they say the instructions are available, they are available. If it's free or paid, there's no point in forcing specific wording or forcing users to put the post in another forum section for it.  If, however, users are doing this to get around the B/S/T rules, please report the post.

Agreed. However, most people will sell them on rebrickable.

Just now, JintaiZ said:

Agreed. However, most people will sell them on rebrickable.

That's already what MAB is saying. They are providing  a link in the moc post to a rebrickable purchase area. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way.

Yes, these are normally links to rebrickable or sometimes other sites where instructions can be given away.

It is not an issue with people selling them, it is how they are advertised. If they are for sale, then personally I think it is better to be upfront and say they are for sale rather than just say "available". It has happened a couple of times when someone has posted a MOC and I have thought how did they do that bit, then seen they advertise that instructions are available, so you follow the links and then they want $20 or something to look at the instructions.

I mean, it isn't a bad thing if it is incidental to the MOC. Say X users posts Y MOC, the MOC thread is simply MOC: Y. Somewhere in the write-up and photos is a link to "instructions available" whether they are free or they are paid for, it is just letting people know they exist to obtain somehow.

If A user posts B MOC and the the thread is MOC B - Instructions Inside!!! and the link leads to pay-for-view then maybe that is bending the rules. If they outright say the MOC or instructions are for sale as the whole thrust of the thread, it is advertising and does not pass the rules.