Limga

4x4 Off-roader with McPherson-like front suspension

This MOC is almost one year old and was made to participate in Moscow BrickFest 2019 Trophy&Trial competition. According to rules of competition, models need to have differential on both axles. I wanted to make a model with independent suspension and decent drive ability and that is the main reason for engineering solutions in this model, including old differentials being shifted towards the middle of the chassis. The drivetrains are organized with swinging gear meshing which are acting like inner CV-joint.

- 2 L-motors for propulsion
- Servo-motor for steering
- Li-Po battery block
- SBrick for control

Front suspension is independent and based on McPherson strut suspension. Front wheel are supported with strut and lower arms. Rubbers bands on lower arms are used as springing elements. Lower arms are made of thin liftarms to make driven axle possible with good clearance.

All three motors are integrated in front suspension, being as low as possible to ensure low center of gravity and enough space in chassis for shifted differentials.

Rear suspension is just another classic double wishbone suspension with pretty long travel. On the rear I used planetary hubs from 42099 set to ensure that CV-joint won't break under the load. Wheels rotation speed is synchronized via gear ratios, drivetrains to front and rear axles are separated and each one uses its own motor. 

Suspension is quite soft and sink a little under it own weight but keeps about middle position during driving.

Overall design was inspired by Safari editions of classic Porsche 911. 

cfxh410oy2Q.jpg

3dMR6pjfxkc.jpg

6FbL59f6gKI.jpg

K41o4yRelCo.jpg

CwgzY5a1fNM.jpg

And some WIP-photos:

vSSkwx1uFco.jpg

qsurA15Zyms.jpg

WIP-photos with first prototype of strut, that was broken by rubber bands tension :classic::

iJFtkXZNT90.jpg

v9QgWIsEVHI.jpg

And some boastful photo of suspension travel :grin:

Ba7Z5b0MSCA.jpg

I think of this model as of unfinished, but I don't have neither time or will to finish it, especially regarding the exterior. I have plans for another iteration of "Porsche-like" offroader with another unusual drivetrain.

Thank you for you attention! I will appreciate any comments. 

Edited by Limga

Very interesting concept on every level. Drivetrain, suspension, both quite unique solutions (at least for my eyes) and the bodywork makes it pretty. I'd love to see it on video. :thumbup:

46 minutes ago, Attika said:

Very interesting concept on every level. Drivetrain, suspension, both quite unique solutions (at least for my eyes) and the bodywork makes it pretty. I'd love to see it on video. :thumbup:

Thank you!

The only video I have is from competition finals: 

Sorry for vertical video, it was filmed for Instagram.

If there is any demand I will film video about drivetrain and suspension, chassis is still built and is waiting to be dissasembled.

This looks cool, love the design and of couse the functionality!

I am very interested in a vid, if it is possible.