10 hours ago, nicjasno said:

That's why it has a kingpin inclination, so that the pivot is inside the wheel still. Supercar wheels should make it easier to make realistic suspension. The porsche gt3 should really have had a macpherson front.

Your setup does not have a pivot point inside the wheel. The axis your wheel is pivoting on might pass through the tire's contact patch, but that's not the same I think. It does not cancel out how much the wheel moves forwards and backwards when steering, right?

Edited by Gray Gear

10 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

Your setup does not have a pivot point inside the wheel. The axis your wheel is pivoting on might pass through the tire's contact patch, but that's not the same I think. It does not cancel out how much the wheel moves forwards and backwards when steering, right?

The pivot on the ground is inside the tire ofc. I could go with a crazy kingpin angle, but that would be silly. Would be great if lego made more realistic rims, like the supercar and landrover wheels, to allow for more realistic setups. After all, it also adds playability.

Could you add some quick video which shows how front suspension and steering works? It is very interesting solution.

1 hour ago, nicjasno said:

The pivot on the ground is inside the tire ofc. I could go with a crazy kingpin angle, but that would be silly. Would be great if lego made more realistic rims, like the supercar and landrover wheels, to allow for more realistic setups. After all, it also adds playability.

My point was that you'll need quite wide wheel arches to allow the tires to move while steering. I like the 1:8 Supercar wheels because they allow for very tight wheel arches that look good, but they are waaay to wide for most cars, and that makes suspension design hard as well. The width limits the space for the suspension and steering and makes realistic setups hard to accomplish. It's all about compromises in the LEGO game :grin:

Edited by Gray Gear

3 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

My point was that you'll need quite wide wheel arches to allow the tires to move while steering. I like the 1:8 Supercar wheels because they allow for very tight wheel arches that look good, but they are waaay to wide for most cars, and that makes suspension design hard as well. The width limits the space for the suspension and steering and makes realistic setups hard to accomplish. It's all about compromises in the LEGO game :grin:

The landrover wheels are a perfect compromise.

3 hours ago, keymaker said:

Could you add some quick video which shows how front suspension and steering works? It is very interesting solution.

If you watch the charger streams on my youtube, you'll see it. Join the stream tonight 20:15 CET and mention in chat and i'll show it.

29 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

The landrover wheels are a perfect compromise.

For 1:10 Scale yes but they are too small for 1:8. I cant go 1:10 anymore because all my cars are 1:8, but I like the bigger scale anyways :grin:

43 minutes ago, nicjasno said:

If you watch the charger streams on my youtube, you'll see it. Join the stream tonight 20:15 CET and mention in chat and i'll show it. 

Thank you, I have found what I needed on one of your streams, when you were improving front bar :)

Edited by keymaker

22 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

For 1:10 Scale yes but they are too small for 1:8. I cant go 1:10 anymore because all my cars are 1:8, but I like the bigger scale anyways :grin:

Again, you can use 81,6 mm tires and they are perfect for regular car in 1:8 scale.

6 minutes ago, tomek9210 said:

Again, you can use 81,6 mm tires and they are perfect for regular car in 1:8 scale.

With a massive Tire sidewall, unfitting for a sportscar. But yes, I know that is something I could do, but it wouldn't look good imo.

Some nice generic 5 spoke wheels that have rims the same diameter as the supercars but width as wide as the landrover. That'd be nice.

21 hours ago, nicjasno said:

I prefer the 68 rear end and 70 front end. :P

I prefer the 70' rear end and 68' front end!

8 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

With a massive Tire sidewall, unfitting for a sportscar. But yes, I know that is something I could do, but it wouldn't look good imo.

I prefer bigger tire sidewall but overall better tire proportions over the tires that look nowhere close to widest supercar's tires.

Hi, hot project! This may become an engineering book for builders! What do oyou think about the engine? I assume any kind of the LPE will be out of scale huge?

Fixing the C pillar and gaps around the trunk area in the latest video. The blue panel is there, because i have just one in the correct orientation. Need to buy more. Drivers side is fixed, passanger side still old mess.

LLRXsgP.jpg

NUuDw9N.jpg

d3YJr8v.jpg

MwkSdqH.jpg

uyznDGW.jpg

I need to follow you more nicjasno.

You are the one to watch for large scale Technic models...

I have noticed that a lot of your suspensions for the LPE powered models had the kingpin inclination.

On 8/30/2020 at 3:12 PM, nicjasno said:

That's why it has a kingpin inclination, so that the pivot is inside the wheel still. Supercar wheels should make it easier to make realistic suspension. The porsche gt3 should really have had a macpherson front.

And I agree, supercar wheels should make it easier to make realistic suspension. Those wide tires are cool, but maybe a different wheel or tire for the front of the charger would look better/work better?

Except the landrover wheels, they all suffer from the same issue. The ET of the wheel is 0 instead of a positive number. :P

Raised the rear end a little and beefed up the leaf springs, because the rear end is quite heavy and they were quite saggy.

rlslOXo.jpg

MQM3eAf.jpg

lego charger engine looks lost in the engine bay

Cy7hRRW.jpg

Front end starting to look like something

fZjg3rK.jpg

A8zalRj.jpg

Edited by nicjasno

Lego 8880 wheels provide a slightly better kingpin solution, it’s a shame that a, they’re quite pricey and b, you’re kind of restricted to their hub. You can get a fair bit of flexibility and unusual kingpin placement using the swash plate part as a hub as it has 4 ball joints attached so you can make a virtual pivot point using these.

i really like the use of seat panels right along your bodywork, it makes it a really consistent looking model.

Also, those inner wing curved panels look so right. They really set the engine bay off.

I’d be absolutely delighted if I’d come up with any of the technical and cosmetic features on this model, illegal or not. So long as the lego police don’t find out where you live it’s all good.

Edited by MinusAndy

I will repeat my question - do you consider installing the V8 LPE inside? "Default lego V8 realy looses inside the hood.

1 hour ago, Aleh said:

do you consider installing the V8 LPE inside?

There is no room for a LPE v8. For this we would need to increase the scale. It'll have a fake v8 with valves and stuff, and alternatively electric motors for R/C.

That's coming together nicely. The last few images show the large scale of that moc. You are doing a great job. Look forward to more.

H