Lind Whisperer

H20: Fantasy's Back on the Menu!

Is "Lind Whisperer's Sandy's Heroica: THE RPG" funny or too self-aggrandizing?  

1. 1. Is "Lind Whisperer's Sandy's Heroica: THE RPG" funny or too self-aggrandizing?

• If there was any question, you wouldn't need to ask
    • Obviously yes
    • Eh

Magnhildr-pic.png.0a2af8ee461d3886ca2d0c133a21874e.png

Magnhildr

Race: Etherian 

Barbarian 

Level 1 

Power - 4 

Health - 8/8 

Gold - 10 

Equipment - Sapphire Naginata (Polearm/Halberd) (WP:3), 

Inventory - Potion, Mead,

Mag.png.18c0b8dfc4a7b1c2661e0532e8654b25.png

Little is known about Magnhildr; "she" has been recorded by the tribes for centuries, wandering in and out of settlements with useful items to trade - food, hides, tools and scrap the people could use traded for entertaining trinkets. A barbarian by necessity, the icy wastelands are a dangerous place. Those who have simply encountered her have been scared off by the stern looking figure. However, the families she has traded with for generations know a different side of the Etherian they call Mags. A person who loves the fractals of the ice she wanders through and has been known to swap a valuable item for a child's drawing.

Theme Music

----

Did I get the right flavour? I have built a little backdrop that I hope also fits the theming. Sorry that you have another Barbarian, but I am not a sophisticated player when it comes to tactics, I prefer the story telling. :blush:

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Ok Chaps I have my character, I have a track...Just have to wait for daylight to take a decent photo!

On another note: My brother saw me a-building and wondered if he could sign up to play?

5 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

I see no problem with that. What do you think, @Lind Whisperer?

Of course! All new players welcome! :pir-sweet:

5 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Magnhildr-pic.png.0a2af8ee461d3886ca2d0c133a21874e.png

Magnhildr

Little is known about Magnhildr; "she" has been recorded by the tribes for centuries, wandering in and out of settlements with useful items to trade - food, hides, tools and scrap the people could use traded for entertaining trinkets. A barbarian by necessity, the icy wastelands are a dangerous place. Those who have simply encountered her have been scared off by the stern looking figure. However, the families she has traded with for generations know a different side of the Etherian they call Mags. A person who loves the fractals of the ice she wanders through and has been known to swap a valuable item for a child's drawing.

Theme Music

----

Did I get the right flavour? I have built a little backdrop that I hope also fits the theming. Sorry that you have another Barbarian, but I am not a sophisticated player when it comes to tactics, I prefer the story telling. :blush:

This is gorgeous. That is all. :pir-love::wub_drool: (Epic theme, too!)

Flavor is great! Those panels are definitely at the high-tech end, but just within limits! Color, design, that muffler, story-A10!

That's quite all right! Though you may need to wait for Duvor's quest for deep story-telling. Mine was based around a puzzle idea+setting up the scenario.

(BTW, good stories Turtle+classic!)

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Well, as circumstances have conspired to prevent me from taking a picture of my character for Lind's quest until tomorrow I'm going to simply post the sheet now and try to add the picture later. Edit: Done!

50399420677_9854eec4cc_b.jpg

50399432242_814f2003bd_o.jpg
Old Bones ('Sam')
??? years old male Undead Cyborg Rouge
Level, 1
Power, 4 (1+3)
Health, 7/7
Gold, 10
Equipped; Black Sword (WP: 3, longsword).
Inventory; Potion, Venom.
Theme.

Old Bones has been with the tribe as long as anyone can remember, including himself. The origin of his skills is unknown even to him, seemingly having them ever since he and the black sword he carries were dug up out of the ice many years ago. Due to being the oldest member of the tribe by far, he has found himself filling the role of lorekeeper for them, a task aided by the fact that he has live through most of the events he recounts. It is uncertain how his cybernetic limbs continue to function after the muscle and sinew they once attached to has gone (possibly animated by the same magic that keeps the rest of him together). Similarly mysterious is the origins of the nickname 'Sam'. He seems to know, but he's not telling.

Edited by Lord Duvors

20 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

Well, as circumstances have conspired to prevent me from taking a picture of my character for Lind's quest until tomorrow I'm going to simply post the sheet now and try to add the picture later.

Same :blush: I wanted to get the basics ready so at least the QM can get things started. I'll have this finished (photo and bio) today sometime.

50395177132_55bce5786b.jpg

50395188332_42d353746c_q.jpg
Name & Player: Okooid (darkdragon)
Age, gender & race: Bioborg of unknown gender and age
Job Class: Mage
Level: 1
Power: 4
Defense: 0
Health: 6/6
Ether: 6/6
Gold: 10
Equipment:  Topaz, staff, 1 Potion

Biography: <coming soon>

On 9/28/2020 at 10:45 PM, Lind Whisperer said:

Quest 1 will be up in a day or two - need to take pictures wait for a response to a couple PMs.

I noticed two things in the quest thread: one you might want to put who is playing "Old Bones ('Sam") i think Lord Duvors would like that, and two Peppermint_M character picture needs fixing. And I might be wrong but something tells me the first post is missing some story or I just don't get it...

Edit - You might want to tag everyone to let them know the quest has started. 

Edited by samurai-turtle
added a comment

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

I noticed two things in the quest thread: one you might want to put who is playing "Old Bones ('Sam") i think Lord Duvors would like that, and two Peppermint_M character picture needs fixing. And I might be wrong but something tells me the first post is missing some story or I just don't get it...

I was about to mention that last bit. And yes, I think @Lind Whisperer has thrown that confrontation at everyone a little suddenly.

11 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Thank you for the corrections. I was trying to jump right into the action.

Some appropriate improvements will be made - I am dealing with life, and I wanted to make sure it was posted. If it didn't get posted, I was afraid it might never happen.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2020_09/Mag.png.18c0b8dfc4a7b1c2661e0532e8654b25.png

If it helps, I have pulled the direct gallery link for my build. The next step would be me sticking it on flickr or something....

15 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

Thank you for the corrections. I was trying to jump right into the action.

Some appropriate improvements will be made - I am dealing with life, and I wanted to make sure it was posted. If it didn't get posted, I was afraid it might never happen.

Look, you don't need to delete it entirely. You can leave it as it was, it's just you need to pace yourself and the story. In future try to give people time to get to know their characters and each other's before throwing them into the action. 24/48 hours perhaps?

Ultimately don't rush it and don't put too much stress on yourself and things will work out fine! :classic:

I don't know if I interpret it correctly, but I am thinking of Etherians as genderless unless they identify to one. Hence the "she" that the other races applied to the Magnhildr.

A few general lore notes/clarifications: 

- I am considering Mission 0 to be loosely canon, in order to give Yelana an actual backstory (as well as to tie into the final 2.0 game, depending upon which elements are included). 
 - The "director" to whom Yannika refers is Syn'ara Adhira (The head of Blackstar's Intelligence branch and a member of the Quorum). 
 - The reason that I specified that the control room's wall was black and neon orange, is that I am building the Blackstar Triad's headquarters in those colours (I will post images when I am finished). 
 - Text that is in brackets represents Yelana interacting with her visor (normal text is Yelana and all-caps is the visor's response). 

Edited by Classic_Spaceman
Name Added

10 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

I don't know if I interpret it correctly, but I am thinking of Etherians as genderless unless they identify to one. Hence the "she" that the other races applied to the Magnhildr.

That's perfectly valid! There are probably a few out there created with a specific gender in mind, but that's definitely not universal.

6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

A few general lore notes/clarifications: 

- I am considering Mission 0 to be loosely canon, in order to give Yelana an actual backstory (as well as to tie into the final 2.0 game, depending upon which elements are included). 

I'm going to be blunt; nothing from this game is cannon to the 2.0 setting. This is meant to be a separate universe altogether. While I don't mind oblique references to Mission 0 I don't think directly referencing the Heroica organization really fits here. @Lind Whisperer might have a different opinion though and this is ultimately his project, so I'll go with whatever he says.

Edited by Lord Duvors

8 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

I'm going to be blunt; nothing from this game is cannon to the 2.0 setting. This is meant to be a separate universe altogether. While I don't mind oblique references to Mission 0 I don't think directly referencing the Heroica organization really fits here. @Lind Whisperer might have a different opinion though and this is ultimately his project, so I'll go with whatever he says.

@Lord Duvorsis absolutely right. Perhaps "the Free Companies" might be better?

(Although, I'll admit, the idea that every organization in-universe ends up calling itself Heroica is worth a chuckle!)

Edited by Lind Whisperer

22 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

This is meant to be a separate universe altogether.

I recognise that - My perspective is that either Yelana is in an alternate universe (I have some ideas about that, tying into your ideas about Jump Gates, which I will post once I finish the writeup), or that this is a training simulation/test, depending upon what we choose to do for the final 2.0 game. 

22 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

While I don't mind oblique references to Mission 0 I don't think directly referencing the Heroica organization really fits here. 

@Lind Whisperer

I am not planning to reference Heroica (Yelana cannot, since it would blow her cover, and this is not even a Heroica mission anyway). The intro section of my first post (where the only reference is) takes place in the 2.0 universe, and I only included it to give the other players an idea of Yelana’s character and background (the characters themselves would not know about anything that occurred before Yelana joined the group). 

1 hour ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I recognise that - My perspective is that either Yelana is in an alternate universe (I have some ideas about that, tying into your ideas about Jump Gates, which I will post once I finish the writeup), or that this is a training simulation/test, depending upon what we choose to do for the final 2.0 game. 

I am not planning to reference Heroica (Yelana cannot, since it would blow her cover, and this is not even a Heroica mission anyway). The intro section of my first post (where the only reference is) takes place in the 2.0 universe, and I only included it to give the other players an idea of Yelana’s character and background (the characters themselves would not know about anything that occurred before Yelana joined the group). 

No. There are several metaphysical concepts regarding this setting that are going to directly tie into the character's relation to it that I don't think allow for characters from alternate universes. I might be wrong on that front but I'll need confirmation. And I strongly dislike the idea of it being 'just a simulation'. That automatically renders the stakes of the adventure meaningless and runs right into the player dictating the nature of the setting to the QM. Especially as having it be a training simulation Yelana is undergoing would make the story ultimately about her instead of the entire party. You are interacting with other people here. @Lind Whisperer?

Hi Folks,

I get some people enjoy playing the same character in multiple games. I don't mind that, but when it comes to Heroica 2.0, I'd like to ensure character's actions and stories are not tied to outside games from either this or Heroica 1.0. I'm fine if you want to play the same character with the same background in either one, but their is no shared universe between the three. So @Classic_Spaceman it's great you're enjoying developing Yelana in this game, just know that it'd be preferred that you don't reference this game or the part she played in it in Heroica 2.0. :classic:

6 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I was kinda getting the impression, she was some sort of clone. 

Yeah it sounds like some of the other players are not currently liking it. If you want it in your head cannon best it just stay there. 

5 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

No. There are several metaphysical concepts regarding this setting that are going to directly tie into the character's relation to it that I don't think allow for characters from alternate universes. I might be wrong on that front but I'll need confirmation. And I strongly dislike the idea of it being 'just a simulation'. That automatically renders the stakes of the adventure meaningless and runs right into the player dictating the nature of the setting to the QM. Especially as having it be a training simulation Yelana is undergoing would make the story ultimately about her instead of the entire party. You are interacting with other people here. @Lind Whisperer?

To play devil's advocate here but is that what mmorpg are multiple people playing a simulation. 

8 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Hi Folks,

I get some people enjoy playing the same character in multiple games. I don't mind that, but when it comes to Heroica 2.0, I'd like to ensure character's actions and stories are not tied to outside games from either this or Heroica 1.0. I'm fine if you want to play the same character with the same background in either one, but their is no shared universe between the three. So @Classic_Spaceman it's great you're enjoying developing Yelana in this game, just know that it'd be preferred that you don't reference this game or the part she played in it in Heroica 2.0. :classic:

I get why he might want to play the same guy. But then it might go to doppelganger territory or something like The Flash TV show. 

@Classic_Spaceman you might want to think at some point, "Can I play a different character?" Besides you might just get board playing the same one all the time. I know it happen to me. 

12 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Flat no to both. People have put a lot of love into this game. :classic: Please respect your fellow characters.

Please remove the reference.

5 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

To play devil's advocate here but is that what mmorpg are multiple people playing a simulation.

But not in-universe.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

5 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

I don't mind that, but when it comes to Heroica 2.0, I'd like to ensure character's actions and stories are not tied to outside games from either this or Heroica 1.0. I'm fine if you want to play the same character with the same background in either one, but their is no shared universe between the three

No worries! I have mentally given Tesni a well deserved retirement. Magnhildr was a spur of the moment creation who will more than likely become a character in some MOCs the setting has inspired. I create characters all the time!

This project exists due to disagreements I had with 2.0+a desire for 1.0 gaming. I had a clear idea of what I wanted so I instead of trying to argue, I've created my own arc.

It's in this sub-forum via mod preference. (I meant it for Mafia and Gaming)

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

some MOCs the setting has inspired.

:wub_drool:

Edited by Lind Whisperer

1 hour ago, Lind Whisperer said:

This project exists due to disagreements I had with 2.0+a desire for 1.0 gaming. I had a clear idea of what I wanted so I instead of trying to argue, I've created my own arc.

It's in this sub-forum via mod preference. (I meant it for Mafia and Gaming)

:wub_drool:

I have my first week off since last year. (The perils of being a multi-skilled Key Worker in a Health Service Related job during the covid times. From micro IT support to free up the actual IT guys, to driving the fork-truck. It has been a non-stop 6 months!) So I want to get really building again.

22 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

I get why he might want to play the same guy. But then it might go to doppelganger territory or something like The Flash TV show. 

@Classic_Spaceman you might want to think at some point, "Can I play a different character?" Besides you might just get board playing the same one all the time. I know it happen to me. 

As long as there are no references to the other settings I think it's fine. The idea is that these are separate universes in a non-multi-verse reality. There are plenty of RPG players who simply like playing the same character, I don't think there is anything wrong with that if that's what they enjoy. To you or I it may seem limiting or boring, but some people find it easier to role-play something they know very well. :shrug_oh_well:

16 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

Shoot me a PM if you want, always open to ideas and feedback. :classic:

17 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

No worries! I have mentally given Tesni a well deserved retirement. Magnhildr was a spur of the moment creation who will more than likely become a character in some MOCs the setting has inspired. I create characters all the time!

Ha, don't worry, I wasn't referencing you @Peppermint_M, I really like the figbarf, I didn't even know that blade was an official part.

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

As long as there are no references to the other settings I think it's fine. The idea is that these are separate universes in a non-multi-verse reality. There are plenty of RPG players who simply like playing the same character, I don't think there is anything wrong with that if that's what they enjoy. To you or I it may seem limiting or boring, but some people find it easier to role-play something they know very well. :shrug_oh_well:

Ha, don't worry, I wasn't referencing you @Peppermint_M, I really like the figbarf, I didn't even know that blade was an official part.

19 hours ago, Lind Whisperer said:

But not in-universe.

Sure :wink: :wink: :wink: not that is what I was saying, Angor never going to think he is in some simulation. I was just being "the devil's advocate", you know the annoying guy. 

This is @Waterbrick Down I don't know what happened with the quoting... 

Like I said I get wanting to play with something familiar, you could say that is what The Demon Germ is. But apparently it was the reference that was the problem, if he @Classic_Spaceman just kept it vague and not mention any names it sounds like it would be OK. 

You should keep an eye on Ninjago stuff. Their last line dealt with cyber space, the ninjas suits are called Digi (insert ninja's name here). Imagine it would work well with the 2.0 stuff, and if you look around now the sets are mostly on clearance in places, I seen Jay Walker's arcade pod and Cole's +4 "car" set(s) for half price {$5 each original price $10 each}.