Lind Whisperer

H20: Fantasy's Back on the Menu!

Is "Lind Whisperer's Sandy's Heroica: THE RPG" funny or too self-aggrandizing?  

1. 1. Is "Lind Whisperer's Sandy's Heroica: THE RPG" funny or too self-aggrandizing?

• If there was any question, you wouldn't need to ask
    • Obviously yes
    • Eh

SETTING:

An Ice Age has descended on the world! Humanity exists in sheltered pockets beneath the ice, where mysterious fantasy civilizations thwart the storm!

The only connection between hamlets is travelers and the mysterious ETHERNET - a mass magical communication network used only by elite mages and biohackers!

You and your companions are your starving tribe’s only hope! Travel the tundra - find the components to solve the SPELLPLAGUE - save your tribe!

PITCH:

3 DMs scratch each other’s backs, in an exciting three-story arc! One starts, one middles, one finishes! Like Disney Wars! Except...yeah, let’s not open that can of worms,

Like Disney Wars! If everyone agreed it was good!

TIMELINE:

Ice Age+Trd Fantasy+Cyberpunk(But it’s more Biopunk)

--------------------------------

PLEA: I want some more Heroica! And I know some of you do too!

Heroica Classic started with 3 small quests. We can’t just start a whole new Heroica - but three quests? I know we can do this! A three-quest arc is possible - and since we’ll swap hosting, we ALL get to play! (And I can host a small quest for the 2/3 DMs*, so no one has to stop playing!

*If one will host a Town-style quest. Always loved - never played

RULES:

Rule 1: HAVE FUN.

Rule 2: Any political content should be poking fun at the idea of politics in general. We live in a time of plenty, where we can afford to waste hundreds+ of dollars on plastic blocks, and yet we argue tirelessly about differences. Politics are important, but they ruin fun. Poke fun at all politics equally!

Rule 3: Politics: Just don’t.

Rule 4: Rule 3 is (going to be) ignored. Just try to get along, please?

Rule 5: See 1

Rule 6: When in doubt, old Heroica. Unless Lind over-rules. (Seriously - Hastened + Double-Strikes is 4 attacks! Not 2!)

Rule 7: Hastened+Double Strike is 4 attacks.

DM Rules:

Rule 8: If you confirm, I’ll add you to a Google Doc, where we plan specific details.

Rule 9: When creating quests, try to aim for the light-heartedness of early quests, mixed with the narrative complexity of later quests! 

Rule 10: Have fun!

--------------------------------

STILL NEED:

DM 1: Lind Whisperer

DM 2: ?

DM 3: Kotz(?)

Players:

Kotz?

Samurai-turtle

Classic_Spaceman

Lind Whisperer

@Kintobor@Dannylonglegs@Waterbrick Down@samurai-turtle@Viper Knight@KotZ@Tariq j@Endgame@Zepher@Asphalt@Goliath@Scubacarrot@MysticModulus@UsernameMDM@Mencot@Palathadric@Sandy@Siercon and Coral@swils@Lord Duvors@Alfadas@Classic_Spaceman

Edited by Lind Whisperer

You know what they say, you can never get truly out. I'd love to help out and plan, but I'd really only be available to run the third quest as a DM based on my upcoming schedule and BotBS.

Aaaaaammm why am I getting called out again? I guess, I got time but part of me just wondering mostly in general, it is hard to explain...

On 8/29/2020 at 8:06 AM, KotZ said:

You know what they say, you can never get truly out. I'd love to help out and plan, but I'd really only be available to run the third quest as a DM based on my upcoming schedule and BotBS.

K, you are awesome! :thumbup::pirate:

I'll link you into the google.doc... Soonish... :blush:

13 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Aaaaaammm why am I getting called out again? I guess, I got time but part of me just wondering mostly in general, it is hard to explain...

Hinckley suggested pinging people that might be interested.

Spoiler

Also, you're a chill dude. :classic:

22 minutes ago, Alfadas said:

I could play, sounds fun! 

The gang is coming together again! :pir-sweet:

I was wondering if this is some how connected... 

And are we going to make up our own character or is it going to be like "Across the Snow" thing? 

Plus, did you think of tagging everyone that is current in the forum that is also in "Hero Statistics" Thread. I know it could take a little bit of work but it could pay off. 

I am definitely interested in playing! If we are creating our own characters, will they fall into the same classes/use the same stats as 1.0, or will there be modifications? 

14 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

I was wondering if this is some how connected...

And are we going to make up our own character or is it going to be like "Across the Snow" thing? 

Plus, did you think of tagging everyone that is current in the forum that is also in "Hero Statistics" Thread. I know it could take a little bit of work but it could pay off. 

12 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

I am definitely interested in playing! If we are creating our own characters, will they fall into the same classes/use the same stats as 1.0, or will there be modifications?

No - unrelated.

We'll make our own standard original Heroica characters, same classes! Only addition: A Themesong line - a YT/etc. link in Stats to a song that matches your character!

I'll tag a few more;

@CMP@Dragonfire@Masked Builder

@Windusky@-obelix-@Enceladus

@PsyKater@Peppermint_M@Fred Daniel Yam

@Etzel@Emjajoas@Cryos@Costy@Pandora@Purpearljellyblob@Rufus

@joeshmoe554@Sisco@Pyrovisionary
@Flare@CorneliusMurdock @Khorne

@Myrddyn@Fugazi@Captain Settle@Scorpiox@soccerkid6@Un1ted2

@Actaeon@ADHO15@Wedge09@Masked Builder@Brickdoctor

Sounds like fun! A fresh start and something to play again. Once you have classes, I will think up a character.:thumbup:

So, I see we create from the basics of Heroica. Do you have any pictures that showcase the theme/flavour of all this?

19 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

Oh! It's happening! I'm not tagged :cry_sad:

I will join if you'd have me.

:blush: How'd I miss you? With pleasure!

5 hours ago, MysticModulus said:

Sounds fun! I'm in! :)

Welcome! :sweet:

22 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Sounds like fun! A fresh start and something to play again. Once you have classes, I will think up a character.:thumbup:

14 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

So, I see we create from the basics of Heroica. Do you have any pictures that showcase the theme/flavour of all this?

:thumbup: Good to have you!

Pictures will be forthcoming*! :sweet: Real life is requiring a bit of me, so I'm juggling things as best I can - current focus is on getting a solid story worked out with my fellow GMs.

And on that note:

To encourage GM turnout, The Council of GMs has decided on a +50 gold starting cash bounty for all confirmed/committed GMs! If you are interested, contact soon! Supplies are limited!

*My collection isn't so great, but I'll do what I can!

While I'd like to take the opportunity to actually DM a quest, (something I've wanted to do for a while now) I can't help but worry that you're leaping headfirst into this without a clear plan. Enthusiasm is all very well, but it can't carry a project by itself. There's also the fact that, in retrospect, I'm rather ambivalent about the rules. For one thing the way they're designed at the moment encourages the 'one person decides the actions of the entire party' style of play. While that may be fine for that person, it's not very engaging for anyone else.

Also, while this is unlikely to come up now the fact is that the current rules work best for low level play. If you want to turn this into a long term project you'll have to do something to address the issues that killed the first iteration.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:03 AM, Lind Whisperer said:

We'll make our own standard original Heroica characters, same classes! Only addition: A Themesong line - a YT/etc. link in Stats to a song that matches your character! 

I guess that brings up a new question does anyone remember original stats for characters, they seem to disappear in the original thread. 

And do we really need a "theme song" for our character? 

What is this "town style" quest you mentioned in the first post? 

1 hour ago, Lord Duvors said:

While I'd like to take the opportunity to actually DM a quest, (something I've wanted to do for a while now) I can't help but worry that you're leaping headfirst into this without a clear plan.

I think you might be overthinking something'(s)s. Right now it sounds like a couple of short things. 

But, I am thinking maybe someone(s) could run a few mini quest; like kill × amount of rats, snakes and bats or gather × amount of mushrooms, rocks and shells. Well I think people get the point. 

P.S. What is up with this poll on this thread? I try to look at the results and the whole thing seems to disappear. 

11 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

I think you might be overthinking something'(s)s. Right now it sounds like a couple of short things. 

I was more referring to Lind's stated desire to save a series of quests with a connected plot run by different QM's. That sort of requires a clear plot decided beforehand otherwise you end up with an incoherent mess. And that's no fun for anyone.

12 hours ago, Lord Duvors said:

While I'd like to take the opportunity to actually DM a quest, (something I've wanted to do for a while now) I can't help but worry that you're leaping headfirst into this without a clear plan. Enthusiasm is all very well, but it can't carry a project by itself. There's also the fact that, in retrospect, I'm rather ambivalent about the rules. For one thing the way they're designed at the moment encourages the 'one person decides the actions of the entire party' style of play. While that may be fine for that person, it's not very engaging for anyone else.

Also, while this is unlikely to come up now the fact is that the current rules work best for low level play. If you want to turn this into a long term project you'll have to do something to address the issues that killed the first iteration.

I appreciate and understand your concerns; They mirror my own. That's why I've designed this the way it is– something accomplishable at our current activity level. Samurai turtle is correct this is not supposed to be a giant undertaking. This is an adventure in three stages. It's not trying to be a full-on Revival oh, it's an adventure split between 3 people to avoid burnout. I can't host 3 quests, you can't, kotz can't. But, hopefully, we can all tell a single Quest.

I loved how heroic had a proper ending. I seek to replicate this. If no one is interested in another three Arc after this one, well we completed it.We set out to do something and we succeeded.

I may have pulled the trigger a little quickly, but I wanted to take advantage of the recent Mafia activity.

I'll comment more about the rules later.

11 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

I guess that brings up a new question does anyone remember original stats for characters, they seem to disappear in the original thread. 

And do we really need a "theme song" for our character? 

What is this "town style" quest you mentioned in the first post? P.S. What is up with this poll on this thread? I try to look at the results and the whole thing seems to disappear. 

You have to manually bring up their page, sadly.

It's not really a theme song, think of it as the music that plays when your character is introduced. It sets a setting. Think of Germ – the reveal that he was an alien was cool!  But realizing this was not very easy, at least to me, from your posting. I missed the foreshadowing. But if you had say, The X-Files theme, then everyone would know that something was a bit different about him– in a good way!

Town Quest”: A quest taking place in a town with several sections. Travel takes a small period of the day, with different events happening at different times. Several mini-quests that span the town/time. See Sandy’s Salamandra, or Kint’s Where the Dead Go to Live

Forum glitch, I think? It's happening for me too.

3 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Sup guys?

My man! How's it going, dude! Doing good here, bit stressed, but rolling!

10 minutes ago, Lord Duvors said:

I was more referring to Lind's stated desire to save a series of quests with a connected plot run by different QM's. That sort of requires a clear plot decided beforehand otherwise you end up with an incoherent mess. And that's no fun for anyone.

@Kotz and I are hammering out the details. It's not meant to be a particular complex design- you go somewhere, you find ingredients, and at the end of the third Quest, you save your village. There's definitely going to be a plot with a structure, but not overly obfuscated. Reoccurring villains– that's about it. A small overarching evil plan.

29 minutes ago, Lind Whisperer said:

I appreciate and understand your concerns; They mirror my own. That's why I've designed this the way it is– something accomplishable at our current activity level. Samurai turtle is correct this is not supposed to be a giant undertaking. This is an adventure in three stages. It's not trying to be a full-on Revival oh, it's an adventure split between 3 people to avoid burnout. I can't host 3 quests, you can't, kotz can't. But, hopefully, we can all tell a single Quest.

I loved how heroic had a proper ending. I seek to replicate this. If no one is interested in another three Arc after this one, well we completed it.We set out to do something and we succeeded.

I may have pulled the trigger a little quickly, but I wanted to take advantage of the recent Mafia activity.

I'll comment more about the rules later.

@Kotz and I are hammering out the details. It's not meant to be a particular complex design- you go somewhere, you find ingredients, and at the end of the third Quest, you save your village. There's definitely going to be a plot with a structure, but not overly obfuscated. Reoccurring villains– that's about it. A small overarching evil plan.

Well I'm glad to see you're putting in the necessary effort. With all that in mind I think I'll throw my hat in the ring for the position of second QM if no-one objects.

THIS IS NOT OFF

Yesterday, a snake moved un-invited into my LEGO room(and I don't know where it is). This, +personal issues have slowed things down on my end. I apologize, but it is NOT OFF.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Understood. I hope you can deal with the issue quickly and safely. Have you tried calling someone?

On 9/12/2020 at 8:35 AM, Lind Whisperer said:

THIS IS NOT OFF

Yesterday, a snake moved un-invited into my LEGO room(and I don't know where it is). This, +personal issues have slowed things down on my end. I apologize, but it is NOT OFF.

That is one of the best excuses I have seen in a long time.

I just don't have the time anymore to participate, much less dream of hosting.  Wish y'all the best with it, though!