Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[GoC] Sugar extraction, Port Raleigh

Sugar production is quite well established in Port Raleigh; however, it remains a small scale affair with many small plantations. Here workers extract sugar crystals from sugar syrup by boiling. The syrup; which has been extracted from the cane by crushing in a mill, is transported to the first basin from barrels. It is then boiled down and the first load of sugar crystals are removed. The remaining syrup; now much thicker, is then boiled down again in the second basin. Again sugar crystals are removed from this second batch and again the remaining syrup is then boiled down a third time in the last basin. Again sugar crystals are removed and the remaining dark and viscous syrup, known as blackstrap molasses, is drained into barrels. Even this by product is valuable, and it is transported to distilleries that produce a type of rum from it. Some even clam blackstrap molasses has healing properties, and it can be sold as is. 

50279926753_30c8ab2ae4_c.jpg

A GoC build for task 6 "Sweet, Sweet Corrington" which requires a scene from the Corlander sugar industry. The build is loosely based on the below 18 century engraving. Will be licensed as a factory for Port Raleigh.

Spoiler

Sugar-Production.jpg

Again for you this is a very nice build with a great style and lots of clever techniques to ensure a fantastic overall look. Another wonderful piece from you. I am sure I speak for everyone in the Bobs forum when I say we all aspire to create beautiful land based builds as well as you. 

Brilliant work, well done! 

Count Vroski 

Although I am not overly sold on the sugarcane plants (I really don't know any other credible technique/piece for their stem though - maybe a 4L bar but then it would be too simple and somewhat ugly), I really like the whole process being depicted and the base elevation is as always gorgeous. Plus, this fine establishment can one day produce material for LEGO plants*... you never know... :pir-tongue:

*possibly with a warning explicitly stating that will possibly disindegrate in 5-6 years or not to be handled in ambient temperatures over 40 degrees - I am just a mechanical engineer, not a chemical one so I really don't know :pir-grin:

Edited by blackdeathgr

So clean, as always! Your builds never disappoint. I love the use of the sideways studs on the terrain here. It literally elevates the build for me.

Very nice build, the base looks really good, and I also like your depiction of the sugar extraction process.

Excellent build @Ayrlego, clean and neat as always. I'm not a huge fan of the brown vents being used for the roofing, I think red jumper plates would have captured the look of the shingles a bit better, but that's just me. Overall, great build though, and look forward to your next one. :pir-blush:

This build is fairly simple, but still a pleasure to behold.  I love how you did the pillars especially. 

7 hours ago, Henning M. said:

Very nice build. But where did you get the tan flower stems?

They are from a third party vendor called Altbricks, who it seems are unfortunately closed at the moment.

18 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

They are from a third party vendor called Altbricks, who it seems are unfortunately closed at the moment.

Ah-ha the mistery of why this build seems to be so unnaturally good! You're a cheater! :pir_tong2:

Lovely one once again Ayrlego