Hi,

Here you can track how my Lego Technic journey is going on.
I started as a basic fan in 2016 getting a 42046 as my first LEGO set. Then a 42031 and 42037 and the dark ages were gone!
Before the dark ages I've been making B and C models from ATCO bricks as in Bulgaria LEGO was rare.

20+ years after my first alt-builds I've designed* about 50 alternate LEGO builds, started a YT channel to share them with the world, started a bricksafe gallery  and sometimes even sell some instructions too.

The pandemic "inspired" me to finally try and develop a big MOC, and you can see the topic here and the results below: /42106 Big Rig/. + 42103 Trailer for it. Then decided not to create a new topic for each MOC.

800x450.jpg

The second huge MOC project was 42039B model SUV turning into a pickup /and motorizing it/.

800x450.jpg

After that I bought the 42101 and 42102 sets and had great fun with them. I've seen the way KeepOnBricking was doing MOCs and started to imitate his process - and it caught on.
42101 was/is a great set for MOC-ing as it has a low parts count, and combined with 42102 gave me lots of ideas that you can see below.

After the small MOCs I've dabbled again with 42106 - as you'll see - a VW camper van that took 2 months and was meant as a "commissioned" gift for a man in Bulgaria. Maybe someday he'll receive it from me. We'll see.
a very inspired rendition of the red drag car from 42098 and a big upgrade after it untill it became the 42093's Corvette hot-rod B-model's cousin. V6-V8, same frames, same spacing and steering - why not!
End of story time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far my mocs include c-models out of the following Lego Technic sets:
42039 (1), 42046 (1), 42061 (1), 42090 (3), 42090+42091 (1), 42101 (7), 42102 (2), 42101+42102(2), 42103 (2), 42104 (1), 42106 (5), 42116 (13), 42117 (1), 42133 (8) and continue forward.

42101 mocs look like this:

42116 mocs look like this:

42133 mocs kinda look like this:

42106 Stunt show takes a special place in my MOC days. I've done 5 alt builds out of it, some adjacent, some not.

================================

GTS is my old forum name and my nickname in Bulgarian is Kostq /pronounced Kost-ya/. So you don't get confused by the profiles.
*designing can also mean heavily borrowing mechanisms and building techniques from other fellow MOCers.
I buy all the stuff I've borrowed from, I love supporting the people and where possible - quote the OG creator too.

Edited by GTS

So you can check out my progress with the VW Camper so far here -> https://bricksafe.com/pages/kostq/42106-vw-camper-c-model/wip#

The Idea came from TOMIK's 42106 Plane C model. He had shaped the main fuselage so well that it got me thinking like - there is a T1 here, the spacing of the windows is perfect!
A quick widening of the fuselage and more beams around and the thing became this:

800x368.jpg

The model will be a color barf as there are many red panels that can't be fit together /at least in this configuration.
At some point I've decided it will be a funny car/dragster-ish build as well and put in the bigger tires from the 42106's bike.

I also got a mini T1 for cheap and took measurements from it to make the thing more proportional...
800x368.jpg

The front so far is pretty crude and has no lights, which are characteristic for the van. For not it has a truck's blunt nose. It will change later on. I'm still shaping the front somewhat.
800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

The V shape on the original is killing me so far, I can't seem to make it feel right in place so I started wondering should I put a spare tire on the front instead like this guy below:

800x533.jpg

Features so far:
Pullback motor
Somewhat slammed stance
Somewhat chopped as well

Future features if I get to make them at all:
Virtual pivot steering
Wheelie bars - it doens't wheelie, but the big tires make it look so
Wheelie stand - because why not

Questions to all of you if you've made it so far:

1. Should I move the rear red panels somewhere else and make the rear more blocky /using the L shaped 5x3 azure beams/?
2. Should I keep the slope design for the rear wheel or use the straight one?
800x469.jpg
3. Should I keep the same wheel arch config in the front? Or move the red fenders to the rear and make a new wells in the front to allow it to steer better?

Edited by GTS

That’s looking sweeeeeet. Maybe soft axles for the v on the front?

i think the straight rear wheel cover beats the angle.

Edited by MinusAndy

That one in more interesting than 42106 set. Very nice due to limited parts available in original set. :thumbup:

While thinking about how to do a simple wheelie stand I've made another pullback model first.

It shares some of the ideas from the VW bus but it's made out of 42046. I've called it CHONKY TRUCK.

800x607.jpg800x513.jpg

It's available on rebrickable for free here -> https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-52661/kostq/42046-chonky-truck/

As for the VW build I've slowly added some floor and maybe a simple interior /bench/ out of the flaps.
There are a lot of bugfixes yet and maybe I won't be making the virtual pivot as the space in the mode is VERY limited for any steering at all.

I'll still trying to fit one, and source ideas from Tomik's 42106 racer how to lock the steering.
The front will probably feature a spare tire on it, as it'll be easier to design this way. We'll see...

Edited by GTS

Hi again, some updates on the VW Pullback Dragster below. Work In Progress visual thread is here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/kostq/42106-vw-camper-c-model/wip

I've managed to implement a better front, which is waiting for reinforcement. Used the wheels from the trailer as eyes. It has a face now :))
Other improvements include:

• working pullback motor
  • over the top spoiler
  • adjustable wheelie bar
  • attachable wheelie stand /which can be improved for more dramatic wheelie angles
  • opening rear window
  • rear turn indicators and stops

800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

There are still lots of parts laying around and I've reached the point of no pins available.
Stuff that's left to be done are as follows:
- better undercarriage
- front reinforcement
- squeeze resistance to be increased :D

I think that's it :)

THE BUILD IS COMPLETE! Finally I've finished the VW dragster :)

It took me trhee months to produce and about three days to digitize and create the instructions. More on them below. Now some photos.

800x538.jpg

Being inspired by the 42050 - it can be displayed in wheelie config. The stand is pretty basic and detaches if you wish.

800x530.jpg

On the back there is /self/ adjustable wheelie bar and opening hatch. If you look  hard enough it even has stoplights.

800x511.jpg

Here's a shot with it's bigger bro - 42050. Strangely - he uses about 15% more parts and looks about 3 times as big. Them tires...

800x368.jpg

Final features I've squeezed in are as follows:

Features:
- 1:14 scale to the real van
- Chopped roof
- Big wing
- Slammed stance
- Pullback motor
- Front bench and steering wheel
- Opening rear hatch
- Adjustable wheelie bar in the back
- Attachable/detachable wheelie stand for posing
- Bonus wheel covers for meaner look /optional, you can go straight C model without them just fine/
It is too heavy for actual wheelies and quite slow compared to the regular sized Lego pullback official models. Yet it moves :)

800x368.jpg

I've made PDF instructions for it, available at rebrickable -> HERE
If you like the model you can get them from there :)

After the dragster I've produced two more alt-builds out of the 42106 pack - it both has great parts and too little of them. For sure it needs more BEAMS and panels...
Also according to most sites and reviews - it's not a popular set. Which drives me nuts as I enjoyed the crap out of it and still haven't done the B model yet :D seems too silly...

The following two builds are cousins and share a theme, front axle and V engine config.
I don't know if you'll call them MOCs or not, for me they are, and took A LOT of time. I've made instructions also.

The upper car is a V8 Pullback with steering and lots of accessories that can be taken out if you wish - exhausts, supercharger and roof are detachable if you like these to look more spartan. The steering wheel moves with the wheels too.
The car below is a V6 Pullback with steering that has the proportions of the 42098's B model funny car and my take on a low and long car with a loooooooong cabin.

Both cars can be converted to manual mode both for steer and drive, the V engines do move with the rear wheels.
Actually with the pullback motor they are very entertaining to watch. The gearing is 1:1 so you need lots of space to get the pistons moving fast, the pullback does this for you.

Both cars use a bit of illegal tire trick to get smaller rims in the front. I.E. put the narrow tire on top of the smaller wheel+tire combo. Again - it's up to you to judge them, I enjoyed myself while making them.
Both cars fit on the 42098's platforms, the V8 requires a tire swap tho, but you have two more narrow wheels and tires in the pack ANYWAY.

Both cars are on rebrickable and as some people pointed out that recent topics are just shilling for free marketing I'll not list links to them directly.
I'll let you see the galleries in bricksafe and decide for yourself if they are nice or not. The V6 was the first one, the V8 was second, as the tapered panels looked like the "doors" on the corvette hot-rod. I already had the V6 ready :)

Click here for V8 gallery or scroll below to see it's drivetrain

800x368.jpg

800x313.jpg
800x450.jpg

Click here for V6 gallery. And scroll below to see its drivetrain.

800x368.jpg

800x450.jpg

Edited by GTS

Nice little models, in my favourite scale :D But I have a technical question, in which program you prepare those nice renders of the internals?

Edited by keymaker

Thanks! For the renders I'm using Bricklink's Stud.io software.
You copy the model to a new file, strip it down of panels and click Render in the toolbar /a.k.a. delete EVERYTHING except the drivetrain/.
Then you configure the position and the lighting and just wait for it to be complete.

I'm wondering what did RacingBrick use in the 42110's video to show the gearboxes work and rattle and if there's more efficient way too.

Edited by GTS

Some leftover pictures of WIP euro truck. Combo from 42101 and 42102.

800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

800x368.jpg

Needs lots of work and shaping but the idea still is bugging me.
Featurewise I want to make openable doors, some kind of HoG steering and keep the fifth wheel so I can attach trailers /like my 42103 alt which fits perfectly on this height/.,

I like the way you did the front wheels on the black one. However, I'm not sure about the utility of the HOG, as there is a pullback, but it's a great addition nontheless, considering the steering wheel is working.

Thank you :)

Standard mode is pullback engaged and locked steering like this:

drivetrain.png

With a single axle swap and pulling out a pin to unlock the steering you can get this.
The V engine is still engaged to ONE of the rear wheels and it will turn when you roll the car around.
The other wheel is held in place by an axle joiner and a beam /pretty much locked in to the chassis anyway/.
This design is shared between the V6 and V8 car. The gears placement differ a bit as of space constraints. Drive ratio is 1:1 both cases.

drivetrain_2.png

You can add or take out the HoG from the trunk depending on the mode you want the car in. Steered pullback can be chaotic /or fun/.

Edited by GTS
Pictures clarify everything!

I've made some youtube videos for almost all of my MOCs.

Highlights of the most feature-heavy models are below:

42039B version 2 - You can see the pickup and RC actions here.

42106VW camper - pullback, wheelie bar and a wheelie stand.

42101+42102 combo model - HoG, fifth wheel and opening doors. The trailer from 42103 fits wonderfully!

There are more videos for later. Tell me what you think about these ones first.

Also I'm thinking about making a better B model out of 42090+42091.
I'm planning a 4-wheeled B model for the 42096 Porsche. My questioning is should I go V6 or I6 for the engine?
There will be plenty of space and the engine will be visible.

Edited by GTS

Wow, man, the models are fantastic! I couldn't imagine that "steering lock" for pullback mode can be done with quite a limited number of parts *oh2*

Thank you. As for the steering - it was by accident. I had to enlarge the steering rack and the locking pin hole was just there :D

Last night got a 42090 for a spin - got this one out. I've made instructions as well - this time - free, as it's Friday today :D

800x628.jpg

800x662.jpg

https://bricksafe.com/pages/kostq/42090c-hotrod - a link to the gallery.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-57976/kostq/42090c-hot-rod/ - you know what's here

Still looking for a cheap 42091 in Bulgaria to begin a better B model. The combo model just doesn't cost 45EUR as BG prices are a bit high.
The police "tank" looks very weird to me and would love to try it out if it is actually cool in real life. Has anyone done it?

Edited by GTS

On 11/27/2020 at 12:52 PM, GTS said:

Last night got a 42090 for a spin - got this one out.

Some stealth buggy-rod. Don't know how to call it.

Introducing an alternative to 42090+42091's "tank" - the Police Bruiser
The tank was so weird that I had to purchase the sets just to check it in person. And to be fair If you remove the front bumper it becomes a really capable off-road jumper.
I know 42090 is cool /but spartan/ and 42091 is trash, but combined you get panel count near to that of 42041. There are many models inside, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to develop more.
I couldn't make a race truck /42041 inspired/ with single axle dual pullbacks so instead i went to make this. The tires are too tiny if you try to upscale it beyond that.

Features include:
 - Dual pullbacks on single axle
 - Chonky face
 - Seat, steering wheel, adjustable gear shifter
 - "doors"

800x466.jpg
800x461.jpg
800x632.jpg

Instructions are on Rebrickable: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-59679/kostq/4209042091-police-bruiser/
Bricksafe gallery: https://bricksafe.com/pages/kostq/42090-42091-police-bruiser

Here it is next to the other cops'n'robbers combo - 42046+42047 combo. That guy lured me into technic 4 years ago.
800x433.jpg

New day - new MOC.
Currently in the workings of a "Gravedigger" out of the combo above.
Until then - I've produced another trailer from a pullback set - the 42104.

It fits MACKs, my own big rigs and even the 42046's hole in the roof. Crazy.

It has foldable stand, sliding cargo fixer and well, basic looks.

42104-C-race-trailer-GIF2.gif

It fits large cars too :)

800x368.jpg

Gallery is here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/kostq/42104c-race-trailer

Tell me your thoughts so far,

On 12/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, Jurss said:

Why You have two mouses?

One of them is noiseless for the night - my gf sleeps in the same room. The other is more comfy.

It looks like I've missed showing you another alt-build that i've made earlier -> Instructions are here.
There is a timelapse on how I make the instructions in my youtube channel as well.

Featurewise - it's a combo between the Buggy and the Claas and has two steered axles and some fine details.
HoG feels weird wherever you put it so I've made two versions - one on top and one in the back "cargo place".

Edited by GTS

It's me again with another youtube video from my mocs:

I'm still waiting for the new sets here in Bulgaria. I guess I'll import them faster than the official retailers will.
Any discussion around the previous models in the topic is welcome.

Tell me what can I improve in the videos/presentation/photos/posts here. I still have some free time on my hands and will try to MOC during 2021's first half.
Most of the ideas about MOCs I had in mind from the Senna have already been implemented by the great designers here, so it'll be a challenging time :)

Also some questions:
1. Would you be interested at all in another 42090+42091 combo model?

2. Is there any interest at all for combo models in general?
3. Do you prefer /generally/ C models or fully custom MOCs?
4. Should I include more features in the MOCs?