LegoDW

Barracuda Bay how popular is this set?

Hello all. Went to my local Lego store today.  Wanted to get the Ideas Tree house set, out of stock.  Bought the Barracuda Bay instead (they had 3 in stock in the display area, unknown how many in the back).  Just checked and Barracuda day is available at S@H and on Amazon.  This got me thinking, with supplies limited on a lot of Lego products is this a case of TLG making enough stock for the demand for this set or is the pirate set not that popular....thus having good supply available.

I was holding off purchasing this set as a lot of bricks go toward the island build which at this time not very interested in.  Planning to display as the pirate ship.  I hope it is not a demand thing, would like to see TLG come out with additional pirate sets.  Know they have the 3-1 one set out, but not sure about those brick built sails.

The Treehouse was probably out of stock because it's near end-of-life.  When it was still in early-midlife like Barracuda Bay is there would have been plenty in stock.  Barracuda Bay had just as much of a day-one out-of-stock/backorder rush as any other big set, though in its case the pandemic made it worse than it otherwise would have been.  Go ahead and get Barracuda Bay ...  in my opinion, the ship alone is worth the full $200 and the island is a good $60 or so "free".

I think it's worth it. The PPP isn't the best but there's a lot of rare parts included.

1 hour ago, Count Vroskri said:

I agree with @JintaiZ

I don't own the set, but I'd say get as many as you can. Their worth it. 

The truth is that I don't actually own this set.

I've never been a fan of pirates but I see many fans being satisfied with this set.

The PPP isn't the best? Barracuda Bay has a great PPP, and not only that - the price per gram is lower than for just about any other large set of the past ten years, if you trust the weights listed on Bricklink.

Edited by icm

It seems a little early to wonder if the set isn't selling well after months of it being out of stock and back ordered...

25 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

It seems a little early to wonder if the set isn't selling well after months of it being out of stock and back ordered...

Have not been following this set's availability.  Good to hear its been out of stock, implying demand has been good.  Perhaps TLG felt Barracuda Bay has the potential to sell better now so focused production on this set.  That would make sense as set is for sale at multiple locations in the US for the same price as S@H.  Will be curious if demand will outweigh supply again and set goes on backorder.  Wouldn't be shocked if happens this year for the Holidays.

So the next question is how good do sales have to be to bring out other Pirate Themed sets.  Know there is a 3-1 et out now, I'm not sold on those brick sails thou.  

On 8/25/2020 at 11:06 AM, LegoDW said:

Hello all. Went to my local Lego store today.  Wanted to get the Ideas Tree house set, out of stock.  Bought the Barracuda Bay instead (they had 3 in stock in the display area, unknown how many in the back).  Just checked and Barracuda day is available at S@H and on Amazon.  This got me thinking, with supplies limited on a lot of Lego products is this a case of TLG making enough stock for the demand for this set or is the pirate set not that popular....thus having good supply available.

You cannot make an assessment by merely observing the stock in one particular store. There are many factors as to why a store may have 3 in the display area. Maybe the store in the next suburb only has one in their display area. Maybe the store in another suburb has five... who knows?

Really, you need the sales data from every store which sells the set to make determine its sales performance.

I would make an educated guess, based solely on Lego Classic Pirates (89- 97) being the best performing LEGO theme to date, prior to Bionicle,  then Ninjago, plus the added Nostalgia factor behind that line, and the updated and up-aged Captain Redbeard Minifigure,  that this set will definitely perform,  but more for the people who grew up going on adventures with Captain Redbeard, than anyone else. 

I recommend buying 3, if possible.  One for the Bay build, one to have the ship, without the need to take apart the core build, and one to keep Mint Sealed in Box to appreciate. This could easily be this Generation's 2008 UCS Millennium Falcon!

On 9/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, JeffBuilds said:

I would make an educated guess, based solely on Lego Classic Pirates (89- 97) being the best performing LEGO theme to date, prior to Bionicle,  then Ninjago, plus the added Nostalgia factor behind that line, and the updated and up-aged Captain Redbeard Minifigure,  that this set will definitely perform,  but more for the people who grew up going on adventures with Captain Redbeard, than anyone else. 

I recommend buying 3, if possible.  One for the Bay build, one to have the ship, without the need to take apart the core build, and one to keep Mint Sealed in Box to appreciate. This could easily be this Generation's 2008 UCS Millennium Falcon!

I just cannot keep Lego in a box....the bricks were made to build ether the set intended or a moc. Just  don't understand how AFOL can keep their stuff sealed?  

Will be building my set over the the next week, will let you all know what my impression is.

2 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I just cannot keep Lego in a box....the bricks were made to build ether the set intended or a moc. Just  don't understand how AFOL can keep their stuff sealed?  

Soon as it hits 500% Value, you sell it for more legos! :D

On 9/4/2020 at 5:12 PM, JeffBuilds said:

Why choose between the bay build and the ship when you can have both with this combo model:

I have this set already but I would like to have just the ship as well. However, the ship alone is not worth the full price of the set since half the bricks are left over. Haven't been able to find a list of parts needed just for the ship. I'm wondering if that would be cheaper than buying a second set. 

14 hours ago, JeffBuilds said:

Soon as it hits 500% Value, you sell it for more legos! :D

500% increase?  Do you really thing it will increase that much?  Kinda hope it does so TLG will make more sets for this theme.

Got thru bag one last night.  Looks like 1/2 the island, a small boat and 1 min fig.  Like the coconuts on the trees.  Looking at what was build and weight of bricks, feel if this part was a stand alone set would  be around $30 to $35 dollars US.  Maybe even $40 with their new pricing.  Regarding value, as about 1/6 the set (based on estimated costs), I am good.  Its a nice island, little low on detail but assuming future bags will remedy this.  Looking at pictures, second half of Island similar.  That puts the total island build at around $60 to $70.  Must admit wish ship was sold separately as for $130 from pictures looks well worth it for fleet building.  Would think it wouldn't be too difficult for TLG to recolor the ship, change the sails and offer an Imperial version.  One can hope!

15 hours ago, Styphelus said:

I have this set already but I would like to have just the ship as well. However, the ship alone is not worth the full price of the set since half the bricks are left over. Haven't been able to find a list of parts needed just for the ship. I'm wondering if that would be cheaper than buying a second set. 

I bought only the island parts from someone and counted the pieces then - there are 712 pieces. So the 70 dollars LegoDW estimated in his post are pretty accurate. Why not try to sell the island parts? If you add the minifigures as well, you may well get over 70 dollars, and the island parts are ideal to further expand the base.

I don't know if you all have seen this, but feel this was very well done and a great use of the Island parts.  Need an Imperial base for the Pirates to attack.

Finished the build this morning.  Have to say this is one of the best Lego sets I have every built and glad its in my collection.  That's just as the island....planning on make the boat and moc a fort on island.  Very glad I purchased and IMO worth the $200 US price tag.  Strongly recommend. 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:12 AM, JeffBuilds said:

Lego Classic Pirates (89- 97) being the best performing LEGO theme to date, prior to Bionicle, then Ninjago,

Really?

Classic Pirates sold that good?

On 8/24/2020 at 9:33 PM, icm said:

The Treehouse was probably out of stock because it's near end-of-life.  When it was still in early-midlife like Barracuda Bay is there would have been plenty in stock.  Barracuda Bay had just as much of a day-one out-of-stock/backorder rush as any other big set, though in its case the pandemic made it worse than it otherwise would have been.  Go ahead and get Barracuda Bay ...  in my opinion, the ship alone is worth the full $200 and the island is a good $60 or so "free".

I agree, the Barracuda is a great set....one of the best I own.  

On 9/14/2020 at 3:58 AM, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Really?

Classic Pirates sold that good?

It had the benefit of being the first new theme in well over five years at the time, and having a ton of new pieces and the most sophisticated minifigures to date. Plus, y'know, pirates are pretty cool. ?

On 9/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, JeffBuilds said:

I didn't know the Pirate theme was the best performing theme for TLG.  Would have thought Star Wars held that title as been going on so so long and with the Star Wars TM tax.

9 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I didn't know the Pirate theme was the best performing theme for TLG.  Would have thought Star Wars held that title as been going on so so long and with the Star Wars TM tax.

Pirates 1989 was before Star Wars 1999.

On 9/16/2020 at 3:38 AM, Wurger49 said:

Pirates 1989 was before Star Wars 1999.

Not only that, but more along the lines of it being the best performing in-house system of LEGO sets, well before TLG began courting other IPs like Star Wars or Marvel.