TheAbsoluteSt81

Unpopular Opinions related to Lego Star Wars

What are some of your unpopular or niche opinions related to LSW? I'll start off with a few:

- The 2009 AT-OT/dropship set is overrated - it's not a bad set but hasn't aged nearly as well as other sets from around that time, and parts of the AT-OT look like a MOC rather than a collectors' set. It could definitely use a remake.

- I don't know why Lego makes Obi-Wan ginger - in 2005 they had less colours to choose from so it made more sense, but now it seems odd that every prequel Obi-Wan is ginger and Anakin is either dark or normal brown when they have a very similar hair colour in the film and honestly reddish brown would probably work for both. Similarly, I'm not sure why Luke's hair changes from tan to dark tan depending on which set he's in when the darker colour is clearly more accurate.

- Assault on Hoth would be a good set if it were just the main gate, maybe with a Tauntaun bay and a few other parts for £90.

- Midi-scale sets were a real missed opportunity and should make a comeback with figures to add more value.

- More sets should include obscure characters - when I was a kid there were a lot of obscure characters in action figure form and I'd love to see more in Lego sets - the Neimodian warrior and Colonel Cracken from 2014 were great inclusions and I'd love to see a D2C Jabba's palace with some obscure characters in that.

- In addition to that, a lot of people think Lego won't make another Slave Leia or Oola figure, but I think this is possible but probably only in a D2C barge or palace.

Add your's below!

On 8/24/2020 at 12:04 PM, TheAbsoluteSt81 said:

- The 2009 AT-OT/dropship set is overrated - it's not a bad set but hasn't aged nearly as well as other sets from around that time, and parts of the AT-OT look like a MOC rather than a collectors' set. It could definitely use a remake.

- Assault on Hoth would be a good set if it were just the main gate, maybe with a Tauntaun bay and a few other parts for £90.

The 10195 AT_OT and Dropship was not, and never intended to be a UCS set.

If Assault On Hoth was a playset and was cheaper, it would be considered at least decent.

My favorite UCS sets are: Imperial Shuttle, Snowspeeder, and Slave I

Edited by JintaiZ

1 hour ago, TheAbsoluteSt81 said:

- In addition to that, a lot of people think Lego won't make another Slave Leia or Oola figure, but I think this is possible but probably only in a D2C barge or palace.

As I remember it's prohibited by Disney.

1 hour ago, TheAbsoluteSt81 said:

- Midi-scale sets were a real missed opportunity and should make a comeback with figures to add more value.

-More sets should include obscure characters - when I was a kid there were a lot of obscure characters in action figure form and I'd love to see more in Lego sets - the Neimodian warrior and Colonel Cracken from 2014 were great inclusions and I'd love to see a D2C Jabba's palace with some obscure characters in that.

I agree. A series of starfighters like the old Naboo Starfighter 10026 would be great. Midi-USC-sets for 50 or 60 euros/dollars, with each one special figure.

We should get a full CIS-Council or just more different alien-races, like a Muun or an Abednedo, like Prauf, and Greez from Fallen Order.

58 minutes ago, number42 said:

As I remember it's prohibited by Disney.

Just looked this up - yeah, that seems very unlikely now. Shame really, but I'm glad we got a good slave Leia and Oola figure before that was announced

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

The 10195 AT_OT and Dropship was not, and never intended to be a UCS set.

I didn't mean UCS, I'd always just assumed that set was aimed more at adult fans/collectors due to the price point - £170, in 2009 the most expensive a playset would get was probably £90

Edited by TheAbsoluteSt81

Some of the recent sets - price notwithstanding - are among the best that LEGO has ever made.

And we have enough Clone Wars sets. We don't need any more than we are getting.

I'm disappointed that lego gave in to fans with the 501st battlepack. While it was proven to be a smart business decision, it sets a precedent that any time fans want something, they can get it by relentlessly brigading and spamming.

I also really like the newer stormtrooper helmets. While I am obviously upset by how restricted the movement is (you can BARELY turn them and they will always be looking more or less directly ahead) I do think that they are visually superior to all versions of the original helmet mould

Edited by Makin Bacon

21 minutes ago, TheAbsoluteSt81 said:

£170, in 2009 the most expensive a playset would get was probably £90

Well, according to inflation it would be equal to about 230 GBP nowadays...

34 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Some of the recent sets - price notwithstanding - are among the best that LEGO has ever made.

And we have enough Clone Wars sets. We don't need any more than we are getting.

Agreed. I love TCW, but some people have the idea that we need every set to be clone wars, or that we need a battlepack for every legion.

UCS sets are a bit overrated, and are excessively detailed with far too many small parts. Don't get me wrong, I love a big Lego set, but I got rid of 75144 Snowspeeder because I couldn't pick it up to swoosh without half a dozen bits falling off it.

The original UCS Millennium Falcon was better than the updated version. The original screams "this is an awesome Lego model", whereas the revised one always makes me go "nice model Falcon... wait, that's Lego". It's a subtle shift in the emphasis, butI feel  a Lego model should always look Lego-ish.

Also, the current Wookie headpiece sucks, the original Chewbacca mini figure was absolutely perfect and should never have been changed.

P.S. These are all just my personal opinions, don't flame me for having these views :look:

Totally agree with the original post. Especially with the hair argument! :D

And another vote for a mid-scale separatist council set (or even a concil member, e.g. in a tan CIS shuttle with Grievous, Wat Tambor, San Hill and Sidious hologram from the Revenge of the Sith) and Greez (or just about anything from the Fallen Order).

My unpopular opinion;
Spring loaded shooters are the best new part/innovation the modern Star Wars sets have given us.
They have made it much easier to include easily concealable (that the official sets do not usually conceal them is a different issue, but in MOCs this is easily possible with elegance) and actually working play features to even small crafts and spaceships.
For the same reason even the stud shooters are actually pretty cool if you use them wisely. They make excellent light mortars (going to make a post about these later on) and grenade launchers, even if they look ugly as assault rifles.

Edited by Samppu

Battle Packs on the whole are valued too much by the community and I would sooner take battle packs with non-troopers like the Bounty Hunters, Geonosis Jedi, and Tatooine pack over a conglomeration of obscure 1 second of screen time troops.

Betrayal at Cloud City is a very acquired taste, but on the whole an alright set.

I don't really care if figures have all the bells and whistles with dual molds and arm printing. Detail for the sake of detail like on the imperial crewman from the Star Destroyer or a good 70% of customs can be off putting.

The angry clone head being a filler head never bugged me as it looked so generic that I could disassociate it from Jango. I will concede that they should have used the smug clone head more.

I actually hope Lego takes a second crack at remaking some sequel sets (Mostly TFA) sooner rather than later. Like Winter of 2022 I could go for revised Rey Speeder and Jakku Junkyard, First Order Transport and Takodana. Just no X-Wings, Quadjumpers, Snowspeeders or Ties.

Boss Nass is my most wanted Prequel figure to be made, above separatist council members.

X-wings should be remade as often as possible. Beside the Falcon it’s the most iconic vehicle, but there’s only one Falcon and many different types of X-wings.

Minifigs are overrated and should only exist to add realism to the builds.

8 hours ago, Samppu said:

Spring loaded shooters are the best new part/innovation the modern Star Wars sets have given us.

This is a great point actually, they are streets ahead of the much-derided flick fire missiles.

2 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

Minifigs are overrated and should only exist to add realism to the builds.

I... Kind of agree with this. I do feel like some people place way too much importance on the figures when looking at sets (see: Ahsoka, P2 Rex, Cody...), but as someone who does a fair bit of MOCing they are of course the only purist source of minifigures, so I can see both sides.

Another one prompted by the 2020 set thread: the rate of Luke's landspeeders and snowspeeders is spot on. We've had 5 landspeeders over 21 years, so more or less every four years which is perfect for remakes. The rate of snowspeeders we get is higher, but that's fine as well since they are not unique vehicles and can be used to 'army build' to an extent. Their size makes them perfect for low-price sets, and the more of them we get the better.

14 hours ago, Makin Bacon said:

I'm disappointed that lego gave in to fans with the 501st battlepack. While it was proven to be a smart business decision, it sets a precedent that any time fans want something, they can get it by relentlessly brigading and spamming.

I agree, despite buying a couple of the sets :innocent: I bought it for more clones because I like that period in time and design (I'd have bought any clone battle pack released, not just because it has the 501st label).

It's the "demand, I want, spam social media" culture that annoyed me about the whole campaign.

Get ready for the UCS gunship complaints when it doesn't include 12 different types of named clone, or we want 212 campaign next...

- Not sure whether this unpopular but I loved the Planets line. I would have loved to see it continue and was gutted when they cancelled it and I’m not a huge fan of the microfighters. I don’t think they’re bad but they’re just not my thing.

- I sort of miss when we got waves where the sets complimented one another. Like in late 2013 when we got all those Episode II sets or in early 2014 when we got all those Episode III sets. Currently we have an AT-AT but no Snowspeeder to go with it. We have Anakin’s Jedi Starfighter but no Vulture Droid to chase it. Granted we may get some of these sets next year so I may be speaking too soon. 

44 minutes ago, azzer86 said:

It's the "demand, I want, spam social media" culture that annoyed me about the whole campaign.

15 hours ago, Makin Bacon said:

I agree. I love the 501st set but the attitude around it was a shame. 

1. I love a single officer in battle packs, not only that i also bought multiple battlepacks ONLY cause of officer.
2. LEGO is intentionally sabotaging prequel and clone wars sets in terms of quality,price etc. so they can have excuse to make more OT sets cause overpriced and wrong
Prequel sets wont be selling as good. Huge bias towards OT.
3. I dont care about arm printing and i prefer figures without it.
4. Senate commando battle pack is one of the best battlepacks ever. 
5. UCS sets should be ONLY playsets and bigger vehicles with interior that can be displayed with smaller sets of smaller vehicles,for example we need UCS millenium 
falcon cause its huge in universe and needs great deal of interior and detail and we dont need UCS set to be something like A-Wing that is perfectly sized with smaller
set and looks ridiculously oversized near UCS Millenium Falcon. ATM we have perfectly sized Anakins Jedi Interceptor it would look perfectly with UCS venator and we 
definitely dont need UCS Anakins Jedi Interceptor. Same with UCS AT-AT and regular sized Snowspeeder.
6. Lego says they care about afols with new random products like helmets and mosaics etc. I find all of that laughable and ugly and prefer normal sets. LEGO should
focus on their SW sets that are dropping in quality and not try to compete with other companies by making uglier versions of things like busts,posters,helmets and 
poor mans funko pops.
7. No exclusive sets,it brings great pain to fans and only people profiting of that are scalpers.
8. I loved angry clone faces 
9. LEGO should stop producing niche sets from random games and star wars parks and their own made up shows and focus on figures and vehicles they didnt make. I am 
personally waiting for Rune Haako figure,lucrehulk and landing craft since i left the cinema in 1999. Making this random star wars park set instead of remaking jango
fetts slave 1 is just beyond reason to me.
10. Junior OT sets make no sense. No kid 4-7 will start watching 47 year old movie,and as far as i can see newer families are made by people that grew up with prequels
and they arent showing them OT. Some of those kids also went to cinema for the first time to watch Sequel movie and have no interest  for OT stuff.
11. Whoever is in charge of LEGO SW should be fired for not making a single UCS prequel set for 11 years. And making only battle droids as advent calendar figures for past 7 years. When only 1 season of clone wars lasts longer than all OT.
12. 2020 AAT is one of the best sets in past 2 years and people are only hating it and parroting what youtubers are saying. They would not notice anything wrong with 
the set or care themselves. And all changes in the set take 10 seconds to make it better. Some people in community are going above and beyond to prove that its 
inaccurate,but lack basic knowledge to even know who pilots the AAT while using childrens non canon fairy tale book from 1999 as source.
13. i hate updates on army building figures such as removing angry clone face or updating helmets cause my entire army is uselles now and i have to start over or buy
old figures on bricklink and skip new sets.
14. It was a giant insult that LEGO not only didnt celebrate 20th anniversary of TPM,but went so far to make all collectable anniversary figures OT,make may the 4th
promo OT,make promo figure OT while all other companies with Star Wars IP celebrated it. Even bigger slap to the face now in 2020 year later they are celebrating 40th
anniversary of ESB with sets and prints on boxes.
15. I would gave up UCS sets,half of normal sets,microfighters,polybags,promos,gifts with purchase,helmets,mosaics,brickbuilt figures,buildable figures,80$ plus sets,brickheadz just to have 4 decent 15$ battle packs per years.
16. i dont care about legions and phases and god knows what i want those old clones from 2008/2009 battle back.
17. I dont like the influence of many Lego youtubers on younger generations and LEGO SW community. It saddens me to watch my cousin be excited for sith trooper battle pack to just give up on that cause there is officer inside and stud shooter and this youtuber said it should have 4 sith troopers and they dont actually use that vehicle. Or give up on his favorite hidden side theme cause someone celebrated that it ended.
18. Its also sad that LEGO SW people are so out of touch with fans that we need to create movements to spam LEGO for 2 years to get what we want. Do we really need to make bring back 15$ battle pack,rework jango fett slave 1,we want mauls mandalorians,make separatist council,make jedi temple set movements so LEGO can make what we want and not keep making lukes landspeeders?

Edited by PreVizsla

5 hours ago, Tariq j said:

- I sort of miss when we got waves where the sets complimented one another. Like in late 2013 when we got all those Episode II sets or in early 2014 when we got all those Episode III sets. Currently we have an AT-AT but no Snowspeeder to go with it. We have Anakin’s Jedi Starfighter but no Vulture Droid to chase it. Granted we may get some of these sets next year so I may be speaking too soon.

Definitely agree with this

15 hours ago, Samppu said:

They have made it much easier to include easily concealable (that the official sets do not usually conceal them is a different issue, but in MOCs this is easily possible with elegance) and actually working play features to even small crafts and spaceships.

Yes, also before they were introduced a lot of sets would have a significant portion of the part count dedicated to mechanisms to shoot flick-fires - now this isn't necessary so the parts can be used for detail etc

6 hours ago, azzer86 said:

Agreed

I have zero problems with the angry clone heads. I have zero problem with Lego reusing the same head for figures like Stormtroopers. It's always puzzling to me when reviewers like Jangbricks whine about the same head being reused for non-clone figures. 99.9999% of people will not be displaying them with their helmets off.

One overarching opinion I have is that the theme leans far too much on ships and vehicles, and not enough on locations and scenes. 

8 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

10. Junior OT sets make no sense. No kid 4-7 will start watching 47 year old movie,and as far as i can see newer families are made by people that grew up with prequels

Most families have and will continue to show their kids the original trilogy first for a variety of reasons, this argument is like saying that no kid 4-7 will watch Aladdin because it is a 28 year old movie

1 hour ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

One overarching opinion I have is that the theme leans far too much on ships and vehicles, and not enough on locations and scenes.

Agreed, that's why I'm a big fan of the new Bespin Duel set

9 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

1. I love a single officer in battle packs, not only that i also bought multiple battlepacks ONLY cause of officer.
2. LEGO is intentionally sabotaging prequel and clone wars sets in terms of quality,price etc. so they can have excuse to make more OT sets cause overpriced and wrong
Prequel sets wont be selling as good. Huge bias towards OT.
and they arent showing them OT. Some of those kids also went to cinema for the first time to watch Sequel movie and have no interest  for OT stuff.
17. I dont like the influence of many Lego youtubers on younger generations and LEGO SW community. It saddens me to watch my cousin be excited for sith trooper battle pack to just give up on that cause there is officer inside and stud shooter and this youtuber 

1. I sort of agree, sometimes it's nice to have a ranking trooper but other times the officer's inclusion makes no sense.

2. This isn't an opinion, it's just a falsehood. A massive company such as lego would never do something like this, where they don't gain anything but lose profit.

10. The original trilogy is the most famous, most well-recieved, and IMO the best trilogy. Almost all children that have seen star wars have seen the original trilogy, and so it makes perfect sense that juniors OT exists. Kids that young rarely pick out their own toys, anyway.

17. Agreed, Mandrproductions is fine and all but some people treat the guy like a god. This isn't something specific to lego either, in general the younger generation cares more about what some famous person tells them to do than what logic tells them to do.

2 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

I completely agree. The $25-30 playsets are ok, but there need to be more big playsets.