duifkelego

12v track in stud.io

Hi guys ,

With some free time on my hands I started the digital version of my railway station in stud.io . When the main building was ready I tried to add some 12v track to the scene and ran into an issue.

The straight 12v track were just fine. A little hassle to get them built , but ok . Then tried to add some curved tracks. These were very much more of a hassle ... 

There seems to be an issue with the radius or the length of the curved rail pieces. When I build 4 sections, I do not get the 90 degrees angle I expect. , see pictures below. It seems to be off by 3 degrees (counting studs and trigoniometry....)

This is also the reason I can not get the curved conductor rail into place. as it's radius is different fthen the outer track rails

I couldn't find a lot about this issue on the stud.io forum....  Has anyone else run into this and found a workaround ?

studio%2012v%20track.JPG

I haven't attempted to replicate what you've done, but I have noticed that sometimes Stud.io allows a bit of flexibility in the connections between bricks that can result in a misalignment. It might be worth going back and checking your rail joints under a higher zoom magnification to make sure that the alignments are correct.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:18 PM, Hod Carrier said:

I haven't attempted to replicate what you've done, but I have noticed that sometimes Stud.io allows a bit of flexibility in the connections between bricks that can result in a misalignment. It might be worth going back and checking your rail joints under a higher zoom magnification to make sure that the alignments are correct.

Personally, I attach the rail to a plate (just a regular 6x2 plate, not even the old modified 8x2 plate) and repeat the process but in the end, while everything looks as correctly connect, there is a deviation. When placing a curve, I see there is an angle of 349.28. I tried moving to 348 and now, I am playing with various angles until it fits.

2 minutes ago, XG BC said:

i guess it is just stud.io being stud.io again...

It is indeed hard to place track in Studio. But to give it some credit, even when laying track IRL there is quite some flexibility in the connections and you can shape/reshape track to quite a degree. It would be great if Studio could get a better track-alignment option, but given that their flexible part tool is still pretty crappy and that has been in the software for years now, I don't have much hope.

A better solution is to use BlueBrick ... specifically designed to work with train tracks & geometries. (https://bluebrick.lswproject.com/).

18 minutes ago, Phil B said:

It is indeed hard to place track in Studio. But to give it some credit, even when laying track IRL there is quite some flexibility in the connections and you can shape/reshape track to quite a degree. It would be great if Studio could get a better track-alignment option, but given that their flexible part tool is still pretty crappy and that has been in the software for years now, I don't have much hope.

A better solution is to use BlueBrick ... specifically designed to work with train tracks & geometries. (https://bluebrick.lswproject.com/).

i wasnt reffering to track only. sometimes the "snap" feature in stud.io can be a little bit buggy and drive me crazy particularly when trying to get it to line up multiple selected parts up. i guess thats just the trade off you have to make when making a programm that is as flexible as stud.io is.