Sign in to follow this  
gvb2003

[MOC] NMBS HLE 25

So I was designing the the whole NS/NMBS Beneluxtrein, a service that ran from Amsterdam to Brussels. Here is the final HLE 25 Design.

The driving cab is already built. I made some fixes with the HLE 25 engine. All bogies are aligned and the cab has a better design. The only big problem is that I don't know if the standard PU or PF is able to pull all these heavy coaches. I noticed my 7939 locomotive had some problems pulling and pushing the coach w/ driving cab alone.

If you have ideas to improve the locomotive feel free to tell! :pir-thumb:

NMBS HLE 25

NS NMBS Beneluxtrein set

Looking good

On 8/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, gvb2003 said:

The only big problem is that I don't know if the standard PU or PF is able to pull all these heavy coaches.

Two motors would help with the power, some weight over the motor (e.g., a roll of 0.01 coins) would help with traction, roller bearings on the car axles would help with the friction, and wide radius curves would help with the resistance.

If you already have a similar locomotive (in terms of power, but not necessarily external design) then you might want experiment with that to make sure you get the pull you need before you start investing in a new locomotive that might have insufficient pull.

On 8/24/2020 at 4:00 PM, zephyr1934 said:

Looking good

Two motors would help with the power, some weight over the motor (e.g., a roll of 0.01 coins) would help with traction, roller bearings on the car axles would help with the friction, and wide radius curves would help with the resistance.

If you already have a similar locomotive (in terms of power, but not necessarily external design) then you might want experiment with that to make sure you get the pull you need before you start investing in a new locomotive that might have insufficient pull.

Can you tell me something about roller bearings on the axles? Also I should get the two coaches first so I have the full train set of 3 cars to do tests.

2 hours ago, gvb2003 said:

Can you tell me something about roller bearings on the axles?

If you search for "lego trains roller bearings" you will probably find a lot of hits. There is one roller bearing that is just the right size to both fit a lego train axle and make a tight fit into a technic hole. Lots of people have built these up on their own.

BrickTracks will sell you wheels and axles individually (probably the cheapest source), but you have to source your own bearings

BTD and BMR will sell you fully assembled sets

They really are amazing for heavy trains

@gvb2003,

I see you are from Holland.

I ordered a few weeks ago my ball-bearings in Germany, at https://www.kugellager-express.de/deep-groove-ball-bearings__2_3__5_3

The numbers at the end of the link send you straight to the MR52 type of bearings.

Then you can select with or without flange, ceramic balls, ... Thats up to you.

Save you import taxes - on large amount - and according to the text on their site, they should be of well known ball-bearing manufactures.

They are not cheap and I hope they are of a better quality of the cheap Chines ball-bearings.

Some of my Chinese ball-bearings suffer from friction inside the bearing, and this only after one show (2 days).

Perhaps there's no grease in them, and are running dry.

The bal-bearings I ordered are the: https://www.kugellager-express.de/miniature-deep-groove-ball-bearing-mr52-zz-2x5x2-5-mm

I need also to be honest that most of the original LEGO train axles don't fit into the German ordered bearings, due to the tolerance on the axle diameter.

Lets hope we can order the axles from BT (https://www.bricktracks.com/)  soon in Europe.

Edited by Ludo
added text & link to BT