Sign in to follow this  
The Librarian

The Raging Comet

This is a ship I've been playing with for the past year or so, trying to get it right. The idea was to build something influences by the Resistance bombers - the T shape is something I've wanted to implement in a big ship for a while now. Eventually, I settled on this - a small transport/freighter. I used the UCS Falcon's airlocks and dish for scale and built out from there. I'd have liked to do a bit more with the interior but ultimately, the structure didn't allow me to open up as much as I wanted. Still, the overall shape was really pleasing to get right.

And now after a few months of it sitting around the house, I've finally taken some photographs! I've been imagining it as a Resistance-era pirate radio station, but really it's more an exercise in Star Wars style and shape-engineering.

50250986103_37fd54c143_b.jpg

50250986683_2e5fb919c0_b.jpg

50251829172_023350f1e8_b.jpg

50251190963_5ff4fbf290_b.jpg

50251773431_7bde0633d9_b.jpg

A few more photos and an annotated floor-plan can be found in this gallery.

:)

This is really a cool design! Love how it came out with all of the different design influences. It gives it almost a Bomber/Ghost/Guardians of the Galaxy vibe to it. Really original and well done!

Very nice shape to this, I love the idea of it being a pirate radio station! The 'look' that Resistance-era ships have has some great subtleties but you've nailed it here.

Very nice built that expands well the Star Wars universe. Your truly designed a possible ship and did it well. Congrats.

Can you explain more about the ramp and how it folders on itself to close ?

Thanks everyone!

On 8/22/2020 at 6:16 PM, Cjd223 said:

This is really a cool design! Love how it came out with all of the different design influences. It gives it almost a Bomber/Ghost/Guardians of the Galaxy vibe to it. Really original and well done!

Ack - keep for getting to acknowledge the GotG influence: the Milano is definitely an influence here!

On 8/25/2020 at 2:05 PM, Veynom said:

Very nice built that expands well the Star Wars universe. Your truly designed a possible ship and did it well. Congrats.

Can you explain more about the ramp and how it folders on itself to close ?

Basically, the ramp is in three pieces, the two lower ones which fold back to back into a single block and then go at right angles to the top piece, which then slides back into the body.

Something like:

__ __ __

/\__

||__  ->

It's got a tendency to get caught on the deck plates when I slide it back, but mostly it's worked quite well.

This is absolutely fantastic. In particular, the color choices feel inspired. I love the old school checkered pattern.

Great work! The ship is awesome with so many angles, the interior, and the way it stands up on that small lower section.