RocketBoy

[Factions Ep. 6 - Cat C] (L13 - Fondor - CFS) Part 2: The CFS Peace and Quiet

*Your entry has earned 7 XP*

Part 1: The Sound in the Streets (Surface Battle)

800x476.jpg

"Aboard the Peace and Quiet", by journalist Gutat Lupak.

Spoiler

People name ships for all kinds of things. Sometimes they pick the name that sounds the scariest, or the most impressive. Sometimes they name them for the things they love most. The CFS Peace and Quiet is a case of the latter.

My name is Gutat Lapak, I’m a journalist with the Galactic Gazette. As the galaxy picked up Pyerce Distress Signal, I had the chance to embed with the CFS Auxiliary Fleet onboard the Peace and Quiet to witness the response, and cover the galaxy’s latest power-grab from an aspiring Imperial Remnant.
                The first thing to know about the Auxiliary Fleet, they tell me, is that they are not—strictly speaking—the CFS Military.
                “The CFS doesn’t have a military,” says Karafi, a Sephi deck officer. “We’re a bunch of farmers and merchants. We don’t have a government, or a treasury, why would we have a military? The Auxiliary Fleet is made up of all of us who believe in the values of the CFS—freedom, self-determination, peace—but whose skillsets and dispositions are better suited to a more . . . let’s say, active expression of those ideals. You know, battle.”
                The Auxiliary Fleet usually go into combat against pirates, criminal syndicates, and Imperial warlords such as Pyerce. They also, when the need arises, respond to calls for help from CFS colonies.
                “Colonies? I love the colonies! Can’t wait to get my fingers back in the dirt!” says Muroc, a Gigoran marine. “Yeah, we help out the colonies here and there. Never without asking first, though. Last thing any CFS colony wants is a battle fleet showing up unannounced. The Admiral is pretty clear on that. ‘Never step in someone’s house with a turbolaser unless you have an invitation,’ he says. Or something like that.”

The ramshackle Peace and Quiet is the flagship of the Second Fleet, the so-called “Yima Brigade,” named in honor of their commanding admiral, the storied, eccentric Captain Yima.
                The Captain is a strange figure, seemingly far too laid-back for a military commander. I see him in the halls chatting with his crew, who treat him like a well-loved grandfather.
                Surrounded by the cerulean swirl of hyperspace, from the captain’s chair in the bridge, Yima briefs his command crew.
                “We are riding into battle, do not forget! We ride to defend, to attack, to be whatever the people of Fondor need us to be. And we’re going to do it with heartened spirits, and full bellies, because . . . “ The captain’s manner becomes light as he delivers good news. “. . . I got catering from the famous Jawa chef, Tini! Bring out the dishes, please!”
                Amid grins and grateful chatter, support staff brought in food purchased from a CFS-aligned restaurant ship apparently traveling to Fondor themselves. Having the chance to try some myself, I admit it’s some of the most flavorful food our culinary column has yet to try.
                One officer didn’t enjoy the gesture.
                “But sir, we have to focus on the battle!”
                Yima had a gentle response. “Just because we’re going into battle doesn’t mean we can’t have joy! Battle makes people nervous and miserable. Food does not! Please, Corporal: go on and make a plate!”

The crew seems ready and aware of the danger they’re flying into, but heartened as well. They clearly care for those around them, and are well-cared for by their officers. It seems they fly into battle with friends at their backs, food in their mouths, and trust by their side. We must hope it is enough.
                “Would anyone like a calming cup of Nabeese Tea? It’s my favorite,” offers the Captain.

Pre-Battle Briefing from Data Master Bey’wan Pwua’Tua

Spoiler

800x784.jpg

The situation: Pyerce threatens a bombardment on the planet's surface. Fondorian Resistance has sent a distress call. If Fondor's leadership acquiesces to the Imperial Warlord, which, given their pro-Imperial leanings, is likely, Pyerce will attack parts of the city known to be resistance hotspots.  The bombardment will begin if the Pyerce delegates on Fondor are killed.
                The objective: Break the Pyerce blockade and cripple their ability to carry out the bombardment before CFS strike teams ambush Pyerce leadership on-planet, at least until the Fondorian Resistance can win leverage.
                The Plan: Out of all the factions rushing to Fondor, it’s likely they won't expect a large show of force from the CFS. They'll underestimate us, and we'll use it to our advantage. A single Frigate, the Tilled Soil, will come out of hyperspace and assess the enemy strength. A single frigate will likely match their projections of our strength, so we'll be playing to their expectations. The Tilled Soil will be a minor threat, but one worth quickly destroying. Once Pyerce ships have committed to an engagement, our dreadnought will arrive with two more frigates, taking them by surprise. We will destroy the blockade. Failing that, we distract them while our people on the ground do their job: helping the resistance act without fear of threat from orbit.

About the Ship:

Spoiler

The CFS Peace and Quiet is a custom CFS star-cruiser that serves as the flagship of the Auxiliary 2nd Fleet. The Peace and Quiet flies alongside a support complement of three modified Munificent-class frigates (CFF Sedition, CFF Songbird, and CFF Tilled Soil) and several C-9990 “Colony Transports”.
                The cruiser, built on the stripped-down frame of an old Separatist Resucant-class destroyer (though it is built up enough that it is several times the size), spends the majority of its time as a “market ship”, a sort of flying city that offers cargo and personal transport, as well as a permanent resting place for several docked “home ships,” which undock when the cruiser is flying into battle. 

Meet the Crew!

Spoiler

800x600.jpg

Admiral Yima: Eccentric and beloved, Yima was a Separatist Fighter during the Clone Wars, and then, after several years in the colonies, an alliance captain. Thanks to the many things he’s done, both right and wrong, he has a tempered soul that mostly expresses itself through kindness to his crew, and a profound love of tea.

First Mate Korla Neen: Iktotchi. Organizational genius, bad with people. Completely impersonal. She keeps the ship running smoothly. Reads poetry to try and communicate with people in a more emotionally open way. This does not help.

Data Master Bey’wan Pwua’tua: Bothan. Keen eyes, notices everything, considers every option. Distrusted by Korla thanks to a few times he’s ignored orders. Everyone else holds him in high esteem. Snacks all the time.

Helmsman Lob Tuuk: Neimodian. Keeps his mind on the mission, has an almost sixth sense for keeping the Peace and Quiet out of danger. As dutiful and hardworking as anyone in the galaxy. Adored by all, especially because it makes him uncomfortable.

Defense Systems Analyst Zara Car: Human. An expert on everything ship related, which, combined with her youth, makes her a bit know-it-all-ey. She finally got her shot after the previous defense analyst was discharged. Big holovid fan.

Diplomatic Consultant Klimo: Rodian. A bright student of politics and diplomacy. Klimo spent a lot of time on Coruscant as a Senatorial intern until the senate’s dissolution, at which point he joined the Rebellion as an ambassador. Finding that he preferred the adventure of space travel and disillusioned with the New Republic, he took up his current position on-board the Peace and Quiet.

Analyst Masian Gaal: Zeltron. Extremely laidback, full of jokes. Because of Zeltrons’ unique relationship to empathy, his carefree attitude is a defense mechanism against the stresses of the bridge.

Analyst Albee Toffel: Near-Human. Lighthearted and clever, with a strange sense of humor.

Analyst Tocka Madeen: Near-Human, monitors transmissions. Bit of a partier.

Analyst Vass Tegpol: Koorivar. A studious young soul, always polite.

Analyst Parmathan Larmathan: Unknown species. Has a big hearty laugh. Father to 8.

Analyst Rargo Undina: Miralukan. Serious and dedicated to her task. Has an air of “unobtainable coolness” that makes her slightly intimidating, especially to Albee Toffel, whom she sits across from.

Additional Pictures for Judging

Spoiler

My design here is original, but it was inspired by some general Trade Federation aesthetics and the submarine from Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Admiral Yima is, in part, an homage to Iroh.
Build time was probably a month in total. There's not a ton to say here, I think it pretty much speaks for itself. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the writing and the build!

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x558.jpg

800x600.jpg

Huge thanks to the other CFS players, who are a consistent source of feedback and good company.

To be concluded in Part 3.

Edited by goatman461

Nice, like how you structured the story in different sections with this one - you re certainly very inventive with your storytelling! The geometric frame was a nice idea to build the bridge around and you have certainly made good use of the space. Great build!

Really nice build with this, 

The separate stories work well and I like the open canopy look - i'm not big on Photoshopping additions, i prefer brick built, but the monitor background works incredibly well!

I love the idea, and the execution is great. Like I've said elsewhere, I really worry about how exposed that bridge is, but I guess it has in-cannon precedent. Good work!

I love this build, but it just feels messy. I don't even have suggestions for how to fix that, sorry! But I wanted to share my impressions.