SavaTheAggie

[MOC] Quarter Scale Rail

I've been trying to design something like this since 2013 - a modular, motorized, mini-train layout. 

I call it "Quarter Scale Rail."

The name isn't 100% accurate, but comes from Texas Brick Railroad member Steve Jackson who has built a quarter sized replica of all of his track modules and MOC buildings for planning purposes (as opposed to software like BlueBrick).  He calls it "Quarter Scale".  My trains as shown are 2 wide, which is one quarter the width of my preferred train size - 8-wide - along with the quarter Scale mini modulars from the one LEGO set.

The system uses a chain of 1x2 technic liftarms in a channel built into a MILS base, powered by an XL motor, which turns a large technic motorcycle wheel rubbing against the chain.

This layout is 4 modules - 2 double track 32x32 straights and 2 16x32 half loops.  I've purposely decorated each module differently and without overlap to emphasize the modularity.

--Tony

Oh this is getting really close to what I am working on - trains for a microscale city (1-wide). I'm exploring the regular Technic track chains mounted vertically, but this chain of technic beams is an interesting alternative, especially since you can use 1/2 pins to connect plates to the top. I might need to steal parts of your idea ......

That is insanely cool! I always knew something like that was possible and it was on my todo list for quite some time (you know, between becoming an Olympic athlete and chasing my dream of becoming a professional signer). Thanks for sharing.

Amazing!  I've seen something like this be used for HO scale trains before. The chain just underneath the surface with a magnet to drag along a small car or even a bike. Really cool to see that it all brick built!  

This is an excellent idea, and you've executed it very well - I especially like that the base is still fairly thin, and the battery box is hidden within the scene. I'd love to see what other trains could be built in this scale.

Ingenious idea and execution. I love how everything power related are integrated seamlessly in the layout. 

Looking forward to more locomotives and rolling stocks in this scale! 

Some years ago we went to Köln for a 1000steine event, there were also model train fans there and one large hall was filled with this kind of trains that people could ride on. Not very good for the lungs even though they had a large ventilation system, but is was very interesting to see.

This looks great.  An idea, you could put this system under a road and put some magnets in the pin holes and on the top of the road you could have magnet driven vehicles that are powered by the chain

Tony,

so many incredible steamers you made, and diesels as well. On the 6++ scale that is - and I always thought: How on Earth did he do that? And then, just to get some sleep, I thought: Ha! 6++ wide. There is the secret. The larger the scale ... never worked (sleep-wise) but.

And now this. This is one of the most beautiful, interesting, and creative layout I have seen. The smaller the scale the tougher it gets (I believe).

Wow. On the other hand: People like you, who can design things on the very 6++ scale - feeling as if you are building in another universe - there is no surprise. I saw your video and my first thought was: Of course, he can do that. He's ingenious. Simple as that.

It simply is incredible.

Regard.
Thorsten 

As a proof of concept, I applied a tweak to the chain for @SavaTheAggie's Quarter Scale Rail:

chain_link.jpg

and knocked together (and hence without the build quality of the original video) a Minifig Mover:

The premise being that it should be feasible to incorporate an arbitrary path built into a model to allow Minifigs (or anything else that can use a stud attachment) to be freed from being fixed in one place!

Regards,

David

Edited by djm

David,

this is ingenious.

You guys are simply beyond belief.

Thank you very much for sharing!

Best regards,
Thorsten

So I've taken the next step with the Minifig Mover and built a motorized proof of concept.

I'm happy enough with the way this is shaping. The linear actuator enables the position of the third wheel to be adjusted to the most appropriate position. I've created some (hopefully) better designs for corners and straights. My intended next steps are;

• to "BrickLink" the parts for my designs
  • wait some for the parts to arrive!
  • build to the design. Where necessary, refine the design
  • if all goes well, create building instructions for the designs
  • post a "show and tell" on EuroBricks

Given current shipping times to New Zealand, I suspect the earliest I'll be posting more will be late October or early November.

Regards,

David

Edited by djm
Typos

I've completed producing building instructions for the Minifig Mover. It struck me that as a MOC, the Minifig Mover was more suited to being posted in the Town forum, so I created a post on that forum and referenced this original thread.

Regards,

David