Magical Duck

[Buying Help] 42055 or 42082?

Recommended Posts

I'm looking into purchasing a larger set now that my wallet has recovered from my last LEGO purchase :wink: . The new Liebherr was intriguing, but I didn't like the smartphone and bluetooth integration, it felt a little too unlike LEGO for me. So I have two options right now that I can't choose between. The 42082 Rough Terrain Crane, or the 42055 BWE. Which of these options do you think would be the best investment? (Looking at things like parts, play value, building experience, etc.) Or should I wait until 2021 2H to see what arrives?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the 42055 so I can't really give an opinion about this model, but these models have way different price tag. The 42055 went out of production 2018 I think and a new one costs about 300+ €. A new 42082 on the other hand can be bought at 160+ €.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DBcUtoo.png

But seriously, it really depends on what kind of pieces you want to end up with! I suggest look through both their inventories, and then also look at the "Alt Builds" to get a sense of reusability.

https://rebrickable.com/sets/42055-1/bucket-wheel-excavator/#parts

https://rebrickable.com/sets/42082-1/rough-terrain-crane/#parts

I was actually struggling with the exact same question a year ago when I emerged from 25 years of "dark ages" and wanted to build a modern Technic collection. I got the BWE first, but then a few months later I got the RTC too. Zero regrets. Both were fun to build, as agreed by my wife, who participated eagerly.

I can also highly recommend the Great Ball Contraptions you can build with either set!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have them both and I can say that I think 42082 is better in case of playing value. Building experience was similar (building last bag of 42055 was boring becasue you have model finished and just adding some visual stuff). It depend on you, if you like cranes go for it. If you prefer mining stuff just take BWE :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42082 can be found cheap on bricklink, so that's the one 😉

If you have a bit more money, I'd go for the 42083. It's a way more detailed model and a truly amazing build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42055 is like nothing else in official Lego sets, unusual functions and build experience. I’m rebuilding mine now. 
42082 has a lot of great looking C models out there (I’m looking forward to those, have not made yet). 
Both have good built experiences, mechanisms and playability. 
Price wise, 42082 is probably pretty good right now, may go up, 42055 already got that retired set premium. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DrJimbo said:

42055 is like nothing else in official Lego sets, unusual functions and build experience. I’m rebuilding mine now. 
42082 has a lot of great looking C models out there (I’m looking forward to those, have not made yet). 
Both have good built experiences, mechanisms and playability. 
Price wise, 42082 is probably pretty good right now, may go up, 42055 already got that retired set premium. 
 

You can get a used one cheap :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at the reviews of Sariel to help to make up your mind.
I've bought two 42055 for parts when they were available at 50% discount but didn't find it appealing enough to actually build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly recommend reading the official Eurobricks review for 42055 and 42082, by Blakbird and Jim, respectively. They give you a really good insight on the functions, building experience, parts and playability on each. Just search the forums with both set number and the word 'review' and you'll find them. Also be sure to read the comments on each review for more viewpoints and discussion.

I have both, and like others, I have zero regrets on getting both of them, they are impressive models when assembled and also provide a very nice selection of parts. Something of note about 42055 is that you'll get a very large number of structural and reinforcing parts, like 5x7 frames and 3x3 corner joints, much more than any other set to date. 42082 has more parts variety though, probably at least in part because it has more decorative elements and "play features" like the chains and toolboxes, which add aesthetic and play value but are generally not that interesting for a Technic builder. 42082 also has many more panels in many varieties than 42055, and if you're going to build vehicle MOCs, those are something that you'll want to get a good selection at some point - though you'd probably be better off by picking a colour scheme and bricklinking a nice selection of panels.

As said, 42055 has been retired for a while, so especially unopened sets are getting costly. This of course means that if you are planning to get it anyway, you should get it as soon as possible, before it gets prohibitively expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, thats a tuff choice. 

I have both do prefer the rtc. I would get it first as its cheaper.  Once its gone, then you'll see the prices go up. I wouldn't think the bwe will get any more expensive. 

Are you only buying new or are you looking at used sets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would recommend 42055 much, much more. It's interesting to watch, the whole machine and it's functions are truly novel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, astyanax said:

DBcUtoo.png

But seriously, it really depends on what kind of pieces you want to end up with! I suggest look through both their inventories, and then also look at the "Alt Builds" to get a sense of reusability.

https://rebrickable.com/sets/42055-1/bucket-wheel-excavator/#parts

https://rebrickable.com/sets/42082-1/rough-terrain-crane/#parts

I was actually struggling with the exact same question a year ago when I emerged from 25 years of "dark ages" and wanted to build a modern Technic collection. I got the BWE first, but then a few months later I got the RTC too. Zero regrets. Both were fun to build, as agreed by my wife, who participated eagerly.

I can also highly recommend the Great Ball Contraptions you can build with either set!

Not both because his wallet would hurt, of course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one 42055 and four 42082.

The BWE is intresting, but when it's build it's boring. The B-Model is better, you can play with tipper trucks like the Arocs and wheel loders.

The crane is great, you can play with it or using as decoration. It also fits as load for trailer in Arocs scale and the C to E models are great to.

And you have to think about the color, the BWE has many parts in dark bluish grey, if you like it ok, but it's very sorrowful with later projekts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HUWI said:

I have one 42055 and four 42082.

The BWE is intresting, but when it's build it's boring. The B-Model is better, you can play with tipper trucks like the Arocs and wheel loders.

The crane is great, you can play with it or using as decoration. It also fits as load for trailer in Arocs scale and the C to E models are great to.

And you have to think about the color, the BWE has many parts in dark bluish grey, if you like it ok, but it's very sorrowful with later projekts.

 

The Chiron just tops all of them in my opinion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

The Chiron just tops all of them in my opinion! 

For the chiron's prize you'll get in germany both sets, than it's hard to top by the chiron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HUWI said:

For the chiron's prize you'll get in germany both sets, than it's hard to top by the chiron

Good point, I picked up the Chiron at a 20% discount :)

The Chiron is also a premium product.

Edited by JintaiZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the chiron can't do this:

1920x1080.jpg

Our guests are welcomed appropriately... ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HUWI said:

I have one 42055 and four 42082.

The BWE is intresting, but when it's build it's boring. The B-Model is better, you can play with tipper trucks like the Arocs and wheel loders.

The crane is great, you can play with it or using as decoration. It also fits as load for trailer in Arocs scale and the C to E models are great to.

And you have to think about the color, the BWE has many parts in dark bluish grey, if you like it ok, but it's very sorrowful with later projekts.

 

This is probably highly personal preference, but when I bought the BWE I kept it assembled and even played with it for many months. RTC on the other hand I disassembled after only a few weeks, as apart from a select few sets I don't like to keep my sets assembled for long. But the BWE was somehow much more interesting and inspiring to look at than the RTC. In playability the RTC is probably better though, as it's easy to use and the functions really work well, while BWE is more like just barely working. The BWE's B-model is much, much better though than the RTC's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, howitzer said:

This is probably highly personal preference,

Of course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.