Sign in to follow this  
SollX

Black Seas Barracuda find

Hi all

I got to take a look at my brother in law's old lego, which collecting dust somewhere in the corner of a room.
and i noticed some red and white cloth and boot hull pieces.

that was "some old pirateschip"

so i ask him if i could look take a good look and find out if it was complete.

I took it home with me and what i found was the BSB and a Caribean Clipper in the wrong colors

50229974902_308b556ffb_b.jpg

to bad the sails are crumbled ruffled and dirty (holes are ok though)

50237807406_cf926d0357_b.jpg

50238023497_b74c4a117b_b.jpg

Edited by SollX

It would be a lot of money to replace the sails though...

yeah i know, i'm not sure if i will try to clean up the sails or do't use them at all.
i am going to display it next to the one from pirates of barracuda bay in y harbor. so the sails wo'n be up anyways

Edited by SollX

12 minutes ago, SollX said:

yeah i know, i'm not sure if i will try to clean up the sails or do't use them at all.
i am going to display it next to the one from pirates of barracuda bay in y harbor. so the sails wo'n be up anyways

Great job on the find :)

Wow, what a find! Especially after the barracuda bay release, those are excellent additions! I've come across dozens of the old lego sails similar to what I see in the photos. What I normally do to repair them is place one in-between two hand towels and gently iron the top for around 20 seconds per sail. Don't iron the sail directly without the towels as (depending on different circumstances) it could damage it. If it isn't semi-unfolded by the time you've finished, do one more run of 20 seconds. After that, all you have to do is just put the sails on a flat surface and put 3-4 thick books over it. Afterwards, leave it for 5-7 days (depending on how much weight you have on top of them) and it should be much better. If you do multiple sails at once, use more books and put 1-2 under each book.

It won't make them fully better but it should help a ton. Those sails look like they're not yellowed or have much fraying, which is very hard to find in them, so doing that process would make them look very nice. It even would be a good idea if you plan to sell them. Without much fraying, yellowing, or creases they'd easily be worth $18-35 each

Just a suggestion! If anyone knows a better way, let me know, but it has worked for me for around 20 of these old sails now. 

Once again, that's a great find! Enjoy your new classic sets! :laugh:

Edited by The Neighborhood Merchant

3 hours ago, The Neighborhood Merchant said:

Thanks for the tips. i will try them. lets see what i can salvage :P

I have ironed my sails I don't know how many times, and never had any issue about them being damaged. If you are worried about it, just wet them and then let them dry flat sticked on a surface. That worked out well for me. Don't know how to fix stains, though. I even have some mold on my old Barracuda sails. I just let people assume it's "battle damage" or something, lol.

Anyway, nice find. I'm sure you will enjoy these beautiful ladies!! :thumbup:

i got to buy the ships from my brother in law for a (really) low price. so now they are mine :D

looks good next to the POBB.

50237442443_b513ccd504_b.jpg

That's a great photo showing both rear cabins. I actually prefer the yellow trim around the side window. Would be interesting to see how this would look on the new barracuda. 

On 8/18/2020 at 4:39 AM, SollX said:

I took it home with me and what i found was the BSB and a Caribean Clipper in the wrong colors

Did it cost yer any gold? I mean cost any money? :pir-grin:

On 8/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, SollX said:

i got to buy the ships from my brother in law for a (really) low price. so now they are mine :D

:pir-huzzah2:

the rest of the lego i have to return :P (it is mostly castle, and that is not my thing. but i will check if there are any wanted sets in there)