RickyWasAYoungBoy

[MOC] SBB Re 460 locomotive

1200px-SBB_Re_460_Schottikon_alternate_c

The Re 460 (popularly known as the Lok 2000) series are modern four-axle electric locomotives of the Swiss Federal Railways. The series was introduced as part of the Rail 2000 project, a massive project to modernise and improve capacity on Switzerland's railways. While originally designed as a multipurpose locomotive, they are now used for passenger services only, often in conjunction with the IC 2000 double decker trains (often used to pull InterCity and InterRegio trains in German and French language areas).

This one's such a phenominal engine. The first time I tried to MOC the Re 460 was back in 2006 when I first traveled to Switzerland. It was 6-stud-wide. Then in 2012 I made a 8-stud-wide version in LDD. I tried to build it in real bricks in around 2015, but only half finished.

The renders here are my latest version in 2020.

Bricks Count: 1481 pcs.

Width: 8.4 studs (6.72 cm)

Length: 50.1 studs (50.1 cm)

Height: 19 studs (15.2 cm)

50235881462_2a79e370cd_k.jpg

50236140407_92116ad135_k.jpg

See other of my MOCs here ⬇

Edited by RickyWasAYoungBoy

Love the arrow pattern. Feels like it was made for lego plates :classic:

You did a fantastic job capturing it. As others have pointed out, the original locomotive is a bit of a rolling brick (it reminds me of a toolbox on wheels), and thus very well-suited to Lego.

Love it. The Re 460 is one of my favorite modern day locomotives (I have a bit of a fascination with both the SBB and the RhB) and you've captured it very well. Hope you're planning to model some double decker SBB IC stock for it to haul too. :)

3 hours ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Love it. The Re 460 is one of my favorite modern day locomotives (I have a bit of a fascination with both the SBB and the RhB) and you've captured it very well. Hope you're planning to model some double decker SBB IC stock for it to haul too. :)

Thank you.

Actually I built the IC2000 in LDD too in 2012. But it need to be redesigned too because it could hardly go on curves...

An update after more than a year. This is probably the final version before building a real one.

It now rocks a redesigned internal structure despite a similar appearance. It can theoretically go on standard curve track now. Powered by 2x PU XL motors (previously 2x PF L motors). Different door rail detailing. A redesigned (mostly internal) roof with a more refined pantograph slot. Better Interior. Totally 1700 pcs (bumped up more than 200 bricks, which I think it's the turn-able chassis with the side skirt that cost a lot)

re460_1Feb2022_3re460_1Feb2022_4re460_1Feb2022_explode

Edited by RickyWasAYoungBoy

Nice redesign. I like how the motors are practically integrated to the battery box. That should make for a solid frame. Given the size, if you have to run it slow on R40 curves, that's fine, but I'd expect to see it out on wider radius track.

That looks amazing!

On 2/4/2022 at 7:45 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Given the size, if you have to run it slow on R40 curves, that's fine

I can't speak for RWAYB, but for me at least making sure my large builds can take R40 allows me to make more compact yards.

Oooh this is great! :pir-love:

I like it a lot - seems really solid, and the bogies may not be perfectly adherent to the prototype, but they work on R40 curves and keep a very good look on straights! Good job! :wub:

Ciao !

Davide

Well done. Your use of plates along the sides gives it the proper fluted look without being too large like if you had used plates with rails.

7 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

Well done. Your use of plates along the sides gives it the proper fluted look without being too large like if you had used plates with rails.

Thanks. In fact it is the tiles not the plates that worked. If I stack plates it's going to look very smooth. There's a tiny flute at the bottom edge of every tile that's what gives it the look.

Fantastic work here.  I saw a lot off these visiting Switzerland in August this year, as I was staying with family very close to Geneva, on the Léman Express line which is quad-tracked to allow slow trains that stop as well as fast trains passing through stations.  When the fast ones went past you while you were waiting for a slow one, I was always rather jealous!

WOW: I love your RE460 - would like to build it also :)

Do you have a Studio-File oder Instructions with Partlist ?  I would also pay something..

Thanxs, Rolf

I cannot agree more with rolfbl @RickyWasAYoungBoy. I've been searching for a great version of the RE460 for a long time (big fan in general, have one as well for my Marklin train). 

Have you considered/tried a version where the white lines for the logo are connected on the diagonal angles (Im sure you did). This looks clean, but was curious

Either way. If you would consider sharing the studio-file or instructions / partlist, I would also most definitely pay for it (PayPal, whatever). Feel free to DM me