TGBDZ

[MOC] GHOST - VCX-100 light freighter (INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE ON BRICKVAULT)

There's a lot of really great texturing on this build that really makes it come to life in a way that the animation doesn't show; yet it's still very true to the animation.  The engines are fantastic and the piece count and scale are great.  This is true UCS quality and at a scale many of us will gladly build.  I love it.

Edited by Schneeds

4 hours ago, BPK2300 said:

Bravo! I just started watching Rebels, so this is very relevant. 

Thanks! It's a nice show, but just a bit more kid friendly than the Clone wars :) 

2 hours ago, Schneeds said:

There's a lot of really great texturing on this build that really makes it come to life in a way that the animation doesn't show; yet it's still very true to the animation.  The engines are fantastic and the piece count and scale are great.  This is true UCS quality and at a scale many of us will gladly build.  I love it.

Thanks for the great feedback! A lot of texturing and details were inspired by Randy Cooper's miniature model (https://imgur.com/r/starwarsrebels/iWULh) Very happy how this turned out compared to the first WIP model it's like day and night! 

2 hours ago, WickNole said:

Nice! :) Bring it to our event in October.

Thanks! Will see, If I'm not able to come I will pack it and Give it to someone who can! It's a sturdy MOC and quite easy to transport. 

Fantastic build! The Ghost is my favourite ship in the SW universe. I really like the scale if this model. The official LEGO set 75053 is far too small, while BrickVault has already a minifig scale model. This scale is something in between, allowing for more interior space as well as better displayability with other official LEGO sets. I find it excellent that you managed to make the model standing without any additional support at the back. You could replace the two cockpits with the official ones (printed / with stickers) for more accurate look if you find them. Well done!

57 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Fantastic build! The Ghost is my favourite ship in the SW universe. I really like the scale if this model. The official LEGO set 75053 is far too small, while BrickVault has already a minifig scale model. This scale is something in between, allowing for more interior space as well as better displayability with other official LEGO sets. I find it excellent that you managed to make the model standing without any additional support at the back. You could replace the two cockpits with the official ones (printed / with stickers) for more accurate look if you find them. Well done!

Thanks for the kind words! Same for me, I don't know why but the Ghost just ticks all the right boxes for a cool spaceship!

It was one of my main tasks to make the model use it's own landing gear for all the support and at first I was afraid that It would be hard to do, but in the end it turned out fairly balanced and some magic with angled landing gear did the trick! I have put a printed canopy piece on my IRL Ghost, sadly I don't have the stickers for the top cockpit. 

This is great MOC! I love the level of detail you've added at this scale, and I wish more Star Wars ship MOCs were like this.

One question though, doesn't the Phantom dock such that it's facing backwards? Perhaps it would be more suitable to have your model reflect that as well.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:00 AM, NanoRex said:

This is great MOC! I love the level of detail you've added at this scale, and I wish more Star Wars ship MOCs were like this.

One question though, doesn't the Phantom dock such that it's facing backwards? Perhaps it would be more suitable to have your model reflect that as well.

Thanks for the kind words! 

The Phantom can dock both ways - I like it better when the Phantom faces forwards (Note - the guns must be detached for it to fit like this - in tv show the guns were retractable but at this scale it's impossible to make) 

On 9/9/2020 at 6:10 PM, James666 said:

Any news on the instructions?

Oh yes, the instructions available at the Daves Customs shop. Check the main entry of the topic for the link! 

For anyone who is interested - instructions available at Daves Customs Shop. Check the store for other awesome SW Mocs. 

How sturdy is this ship?  Always liked the Ghost and have been thinking about buying the instructions for this moc. Just want to make sure it is a very sturdy build and won’t run into issues of it being fragile. 

Great job on getting this designed. 

What a fantastic and beautiful model, I think it really captures the essence of the ship and why it’s one of my favorite ships from Star Wars. Really impressed with how affordable it is given the part count, gonna try to save up so I can build it myself. Just a phenomenal job all-around

On 10/3/2020 at 9:11 PM, Bbafett said:

How sturdy is this ship?  Always liked the Ghost and have been thinking about buying the instructions for this moc. Just want to make sure it is a very sturdy build and won’t run into issues of it being fragile. 

Great job on getting this designed. 

There is solid technic brick frame that makes the ship very sturdy and even swooshable. Sloped side panels are sturdy but shouldn't be used to support all weight when picked up. Side docking ports are very strudy as well as the middle of the bottom section therfore it's easily handled by picking up the model from those spots. The most fragile things would be the small greeble bits, that's it. 

1 hour ago, Holden Brickfield said:

What a fantastic and beautiful model, I think it really captures the essence of the ship and why it’s one of my favorite ships from Star Wars. Really impressed with how affordable it is given the part count, gonna try to save up so I can build it myself. Just a phenomenal job all-around

Thanks for the kind words! Looks like that 3 years working on this model paid off, as I'm seeing a lot of positive feedback :) 

As for the affordability - it should be around 350 - 450 euros, I guess. I had a lot of parts sourced randomly therfore I haven't kept the exact costs of it. Also I tried to avoid unnecessarily expensive parts - the most expensive part is the yellow 3x3 45 degree plates that I used - I have no idea where I got them, but when I checked their price I was surprised that it's more then 5 euros per piece.. turns out the last time they were used was in 1998.. But they can be easily changed for other shapes to slightly decrease the cost. 

Update! 
Phantom II ready to take off! 

50472395518_88d00afcdf_c.jpg

Retractable landing gear (Folds under the ship) and fits prefectly with the Ghost. Can hold 1 figure in the canopy and atleast 3 - 4 figures at the back.

50473097641_f9b4dd73fd_c.jpg

Instructions will be available soon! 

Definitely interested in the phantom 2 instructions as I already have the ghost and phantom instructions.  I am assuming you will put that one up separately? Haven’t bought the rest of the parts I need for this but will first if the year most likely. Looking forward to it after I get done with the ucs falcon build and get past Christmas. Nice job. 

This is so much better than the official set. I was extremely disappointed it didn’t have an interior like the Millennium Falcon playsets. I might have to give this a try in the future. I definitely don’t have the space for a minifig scale Ghost and this looks as good as a UCS but much smaller. 

On 12/19/2020 at 8:47 PM, Bbafett said:

Definitely interested in the phantom 2 instructions as I already have the ghost and phantom instructions.  I am assuming you will put that one up separately? Haven’t bought the rest of the parts I need for this but will first if the year most likely. Looking forward to it after I get done with the ucs falcon build and get past Christmas. Nice job. 

If You have already bought the instructions befor the Phantom II was released then contact Dave and give him Your purchase order number and he will send You the instructions for free. 

On 12/20/2020 at 5:34 PM, DarthMario said:

This is so much better than the official set. I was extremely disappointed it didn’t have an interior like the Millennium Falcon playsets. I might have to give this a try in the future. I definitely don’t have the space for a minifig scale Ghost and this looks as good as a UCS but much smaller. 

Thanks!

When the original set got released I didn't even now what the Rebels show was so I missed out on it, but to be honest, the set itself is quite bad. 

9 hours ago, TGBDZ said:

Thanks!

When the original set got released I didn't even now what the Rebels show was so I missed out on it, but to be honest, the set itself is quite bad. 

That is one of the unfortunate things about Rebels.  Not many people cared about it when it was airing because it was on Disney XD plus the visual fidelity was downgraded relative to The Clone Wars.  There were only a handful of sets made for Rebels, and some figures only appeared once, so getting the characters you want (especially now via the aftermarket) was/is not cheap. Fortunately, I did pick up the Ghost, Phantom I and II, TIE Advanced Prototype, Vader's TIE Advanced & A-Wing, Phoenix Home (Combat Frigate), Gozanti (Imperial Assault Carrier) and Rex's AT-TE.  The only one I really regret not getting is the AT-DP, but luckily that only had one exclusive minifig.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, TGBDZ said:

If You have already bought the instructions befor the Phantom II was released then contact Dave and give him Your purchase order number and he will send You the instructions for free. 

I emailed Dave a couple days ago about this with my previous order attached. Haven’t heard back. Is he possibly on holiday right now?  

thx. Happy New Year!

On 1/1/2021 at 4:26 PM, Bbafett said:

I emailed Dave a couple days ago about this with my previous order attached. Haven’t heard back. Is he possibly on holiday right now?  

thx. Happy New Year!

Check Your PM :) 

On 2/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, Bbafett said:

Great review done of this MOC. Such a good looking ship built in a great scale. 

Thanks! 

And yes, video review can be seen on Brickvault Youtube channel! 

Edited by TGBDZ

I have the Ghost and Phantom 1 built currently with Phantom 2 being built this weekend.  I might try and mod the front top part so it sits flush on the angled sides.  Not sure how difficult that might be though.  

I do have an issue with the balance of it.  It definitely wants to rock to the back more than desired.  It needs more weight in the front, especially once you have the Phantom in the back.  

Any thoughts on how to adjust for that?  Great Moc though.  

3 hours ago, Bbafett said:

I have the Ghost and Phantom 1 built currently with Phantom 2 being built this weekend.  I might try and mod the front top part so it sits flush on the angled sides.  Not sure how difficult that might be though.  

I do have an issue with the balance of it.  It definitely wants to rock to the back more than desired.  It needs more weight in the front, especially once you have the Phantom in the back.  

Any thoughts on how to adjust for that?  Great Moc though.  

What is the problem with the top part? Can You add some photos? :) 

Sometimes the middle front roof section slightly catches the sides and with a slight wiggle it should set in the correct position and no large visible gaps should be present. I have seen several photos on instagram from different people that have some side gaps but it's just the roof simply hasn't been put on properly. If that's the issue it's an easy fix. 

As for the balance - with phantom I it should be fine. I think the reason for the balance could be that my test model uses different frontal sloped panels with more plates and less bricks then the final version and therfore the front could be heavier on my ship. 

As for a solution - You can try add additional boat studs underneath the rear landing gear on the most end part, It should help a bit. Also Some additional weight could be hidden underneath the front sloped panels to balance it forward. Maybe some weight could also be added underneath the main walkway (the DBG underside section between the loading ramp and docking bay)

Hope this helps! 

Edited by TGBDZ

On 4/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, TGBDZ said:

What is the problem with the top part? Can You add some photos? :) 

Sometimes the middle front roof section slightly catches the sides and with a slight wiggle it should set in the correct position and no large visible gaps should be present. I have seen several photos on instagram from different people that have some side gaps but it's just the roof simply hasn't been put on properly. If that's the issue it's an easy fix. 

Hope this helps! 

88DF9039-BE30-47FF-BA88-2F0F801C905F812C2F37-0311-4987-8B7A-9A07F1A42181

Let me know what you think I can do to fix it. 

12 minutes ago, Bbafett said:

88DF9039-BE30-47FF-BA88-2F0F801C905F812C2F37-0311-4987-8B7A-9A07F1A42181

Let me know what you think I can do to fix it. 

The roof is sitting on the canopy piece! 

Simply take of the roof, open up the canopy, put the roof in place and only then close the canopy piece. Easy as that! 

Check the previous photos or renders of the ship and You will see that the canopy piece is at the same height as the red stripe. 

Hope this helps!