trekman

Manitou Three Wheel Drive Telehandler

Due to dismantling, I thought I should post a video of my telehandler, based on a Manitou Twisco.  The main aim in this project was to have three wheel drive, which would handle the variable ratios between front and rear wheels.  This works quite well until the rear wheel is perpendicular. On the real machine, this is all managed by hydraulic motors which compensates better for differences in rotation speeds.   The positioning of motors and electronics to maintain the overall look was also challenging.  The lift uses a M-motor and drives a Linear Actuator to good effect.  A small boom gearbox shifter transfers rotation to either the boom extension or the bucket tilt.  The offset boom also tucks neatly between the wheels, as in the real machine.  Thanks for looking.

Interesting MOC, the only thing that crossed my mind - why is telescopic arm not studless?

Thanks for your comments. The studded boom was used because I was limited to 4 studs wide. The laminated inner section was able to have reasonable stiffness at the 2 stud width and the necessary fittings for the bucket could be integrated easily with out weakening connections. I was able to build the boom and keep the depth low, as the studs create the tension which would require an additional row of studless beams if using the new curved panels.  Also I did not have sufficient new curved pieces for the boom in the correct colour.

Neat machine. I like the old school parts used in the build (rear tire, 14z gears etc). 

Is there only one differential (central), or does it have a second one for the front wheels? 

Hm...4 studs width solution that crossed my mind on first place was something similar to 42108 set...

Thanks for explanation :classic:

On 8/16/2020 at 6:56 PM, BusterHaus said:

Neat machine. I like the old school parts used in the build (rear tire, 14z gears etc). 

Is there only one differential (central), or does it have a second one for the front wheels? 

Yes there are two differentials. There is a grey 4L differential (seen at 32secs) which is actually working between the two front wheels.  I could not place this across the wheels as I needed the clearance there for the boom, as is the design for the real machine. This 4L differential is driven from a main differential (3L new style) by a XL motor, mounted perpendicular (seen at 32secs).  The other output of this 3L differential is sent to the top of the turntable, and through it to drive the rear wheel.  The rear wheel  is normally the same size in the Manitou, but I had to select a more suitable wheel, knowing that the differential would resolve the rolling circumference issues, as well as the various wheel speeds when turning.

I know that it is a bit of a long way round, but it works.  I do realise that I am recreating complicated drivelines, where now in modern engineering a simple hydraulic motor and two hoses will suffice, but hey, this is the challenge of the build.

This is a neat little build. The combination of the old and new parts, that driven and steered single wheel, the boom functions... It's definitely out of the ordinary and makes for an interesting creation. Nice job. :thumbup: