Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

Recommended Posts

Well, with the storming of the Capitol and plans  to blow it up I can understand why Lego deems that set not fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could just rename it into "Dynamite factory with police protection" and release it that way. The pictures would kind of work as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what happens when you involve a children's TV network in on the design process.

Hence the many substandard designs and weird characters.

Wish they left city alone and let the kids come up with the weirdness let them be kids.

If they don't want a crooks hide out with a dynamite factory why have a character in the series that uses dynamite .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

This is what happens when you involve a children's TV network in on the design process.

Hence the many substandard designs and weird characters.

Wish they left city alone and let the kids come up with the weirdness let them be kids.

If they don't want a crooks hide out with a dynamite factory why have a character in the series that uses dynamite .

Ikr!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think the reason why 60305 and 60306 are released is because they are not planning to release 60278, so they made new products.
And 60308 seems to be a renewal of 60278.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

60068_alt1.jpg

This set from 2015 just depicts a typical family afternoon in the Florida Glades, but I guess that's why it works with the positive and family-friendly values. They even included Florida man with his hillbilly beard, daughter and pet-aligator (/sarcasm)

Edited by Metanoios91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Everything is offensive these days.  Also are these the same people flooding the movie theaters watching infinity war and endgame or any other movie with violence in it?  All people are hypocrites we all say we don't do this or that and have done the same thing in the past.  I mean come on Dr Seuss, speedy gonzalez, and pepe le pew are all now offensive.  To many people are over sensitive about things, If you don't like something change the channel or bon't buy the item and move on.  I mean by your logic no toy maker should have ever made GI joe, thundercats, masters of the universe, marvel or DC and so on and so on.  I mean the amount of violence in Marvel and DC alone should warrant lego dropping them now.  Next thing you know people will find trees offensive or your food or the fact you look like some criminal.  What's next Monkie kid is offensive to Monkeys?  Where does it end?

I agree. And Lego won’t make specific and dark sets for Harry Potter. THere was a  lot of dark moments in the movies/books that children’s watch/read? I don’t understand why Lego avoid violence and other dark stuff. We have the Rise of Voldemort - that’s the dark moment. 

5 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

This is what happens when you involve a children's TV network in on the design process.

Hence the many substandard designs and weird characters.

Wish they left city alone and let the kids come up with the weirdness let them be kids.

If they don't want a crooks hide out with a dynamite factory why have a character in the series that uses dynamite .

Exactly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LCP said:
And 60308 seems to be a renewal of 60278.
 

I hope 60308 will be some good police set for wipe our tears away 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Merlict said:

Oh yeah that one was annoying since it was the only way to get a tiger! 

I totally understand! I hope it’s easy to get this time. I hope 60307 would’ve reveled soon so we would know what kind of animal it include! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fo4saken said:

I hope 60308 will be some good police set for wipe our tears away 😢

But I wanted the truck in that set. :iamded_lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of people here and in the Brickset comments section seem to willfully misunderstand the difference between depicting fantasy violence and real-world violence whenever something like this comes up. This set depicts police attacking an explosives factory in a populated area; as cartoony as the style may be, that's pretty undeniably based on real world violence. Especially for a product geared towards 5-year-olds.

I don't really care whether or not this set is released, or whether or not quietly cancelling it was the correct choice. If LEGO themselves hadn't inadvertently published a picture I don't think we would be having this conversation, because apart from the ridiculous Osprey thing, they cancel things from time to time and nobody really notices. A few years ago a whole wave of Chima sets got cancelled after they were shown at a toy fair, half of the last wave of Games was cancelled, it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PicnicBasketSam But the good thing about City sets is that you can modify them. This could've easily been done with this set. Take the helicopter with the bomb out and just use the building and the van. You'd be all set there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

@PicnicBasketSam But the good thing about City sets is that you can modify them. This could've easily been done with this set. Take the helicopter with the bomb out and just use the building and the van. You'd be all set there. 

That's certainly an option, but it's only easy for the end user to do. I can't imagine it's that easy for the company. They would presumably have to turn those salvageable components into an entirely different product, and that (1) requires cancelling the original set and (2) takes some time to do. We saw this a couple years ago with the Las Vegas Architecture skyline set, it was cancelled in January from its planned February release because there was a shooting at one of the buildings depicted, and it took until October for the (only 20% different) redesign to make it to shelves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stuartn said:

In the past decade almost 360000 civilian were killed or injured by IEDs. We have to remember that Lego City is also a toy which is aimed primarily at children. I don't know how many people would want their kids playing round with a crooks making explosives.

It would be in poor taste but it is a shame since it was probably the most aesthetically pleasing city building in ages.

GI joe, thundercats, masters of the universe, marvel and DC are all fictional and fantasy themes. Explosives and people being killed by terrorists and other criminals using them sadly happens every day, and this is almost exactly what the crooks hideout set represents.

So you think the little yellow plastic guy is representing a real person.  I was playing with lego with guns and weapons for a long time.  Your logic once again makes no sense how many kids play fortnite and I'm not talking teenagers.  Kids play all kinds of violent games and there is violence all over this world.  These children you speak of are playing violent games on their phones, computers, consoles.  Your bringing real life into it.  You have to separate real life from the unreal.  We all grew up seeing violence, playing video games watching movies etc with violence in them.  

Also by that logic castle, wild west and pirates should never exist again as it shows human on human violence.  So you think that kids that have explosives or guns in a city set aren't the same kids buying infinity war, spider-man, batman, endgame sets and that they can't distinguish the difference between reality and what is made up.  I just don't see the logic here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "little yellow plastic guy" does in fact represent a real person, and to think otherwise is spectacularly naive if not willfully ignorant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Also by that logic castle, wild west and pirates should never exist again as it shows human on human violence.  So you think that kids that have explosives or guns in a city set aren't the same kids buying infinity war, spider-man, batman, endgame sets and that they can't distinguish the difference between reality and what is made up.  I just don't see the logic here.  

Western, castle and pirates are also fantasy themes, it's not as much kids are going to end up becoming bomb-makers from this set, just when it is such a close depiction of ongoing reality it is more insensitive.

Anyway, I don't see why we should argue about this minor fact, I think we can both agree (and apologies for sounding hypocritical here) that it is very disappointing and unfortunate the set was cancelled for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering it appears the building had explosion features in a city environment after last year, it makes perfect sense for lego to rethink things.

Tbh lego doesn't have to explain a damn thing to us, they are the trusted childs toy Company, we are the adult consumers, one set not coming out pales to all the other great sets coming out this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I heard it right, the set was canceled due to having explosion features? :facepalm: 

We had so many sets with explosion features, Lego did a big mistake 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

Western, castle and pirates are also fantasy themes, it's not as much kids are going to end up becoming bomb-makers from this set, just when it is such a close depiction of ongoing reality it is more insensitive.

Anyway, I don't see why we should argue about this minor fact, I think we can both agree (and apologies for sounding hypocritical here) that it is very disappointing and unfortunate the set was cancelled for whatever reason.

No they are loosely based on real life like city but like I said before it's getting very insane out there.  I just hope Lego doesn't go down a path like this worrying that they will offend someone as someone will always be offended.  I think sets will suffer if they do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AndreMW said:

Well, with the storming of the Capitol and plans  to blow it up I can understand why Lego deems that set not fitting.

"Plans to blow it up." LOL. Who's planning that, qAnOn cOnSpiRacY thEoRisTs??? Funny how people neglect to mention that the "armed" and "deadly" "insurrection" was only deadly because an armed cop shot an unarmed rioter. Also funny how no one cared when BLM burned down people's homes and business, but when some poeple flip over a bunch of desks in a government building everyone loses their minds. Let's have the national guard permantly stationed at the capitol and take every citizen's guns away. Great idea. That totally won't enable tyranny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

"Plans to blow it up." LOL. Who's planning that, qAnOn cOnSpiRacY thEoRisTs??? Funny how people neglect to mention that the "armed" and "deadly" "insurrection" was only deadly because an armed cop shot an unarmed rioter. Also funny how no one cared when BLM burned down people's homes and business, but when some poeple flip over a bunch of desks in a government building everyone loses their minds. Let's have the national guard permantly stationed at the capitol and take every citizen's guns away. Great idea. That totally won't enable tyranny.

Funny how you felt the need to reply to a post that had been moved far past just to share your politics. Stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Clone OPatra said:

Funny how you felt the need to reply to a post that had been moved far past just to share your politics. Stop.

Funny how you never step in when people spew their statist nonsense, but always when I argue back.

Ban me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roonil Wazlib said:

Funny how you never step in when people spew their statist nonsense, but always when I argue back.

Ban me.

That's not what happened. And I'm keeping this public so everyone else knows too. One person posted with an opinion about LEGO. YOU made a whole post not about LEGO but about your politics. See the difference?

We allow discussion of LEGO on here (obviously). We don't allow discussion/posts about politics because we know where it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

We don't allow discussion/posts about politics because we know where it goes.

That's not true. Scroll up and read the posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.