Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

15 minutes ago, LCP said:
I bought 4512 a few days ago, assembled it, and ran it.
The sound was impressive as the train passed by.

https://blog.naver.com/wonwoo0918/222253035619

Nice train! I remember seeing that on ebay a few years ago, I like it but I won't buy it (I don't like the system used in those trains), as I said before I'm going to buy the 2006 passenger train sealed! 

I can't wait to get it! 

Edited by Powered by Bricks

13 hours ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Nice train! I remember seeing that on ebay a few years ago, I like it but I won't buy it (I don't like the system used in those trains), as I said before I'm going to buy the 2006 passenger train sealed! 

I can't wait to get it! 

YOU DON'T LIKE 9 VOLT?! *oh2*

On 2/25/2021 at 11:24 PM, Powered by Bricks said:

I can't wait to get it! 

7897 seems to be a great product, too.
The picture in the post was taken three years ago.

https://blog.naver.com/wonwoo0918/221632447184

On 2/24/2021 at 11:27 AM, Brandon Pea said:

I agree. Older City sets are much better. In my opinion, this is especially true for the emergency  vehicles. I don't speak for anyone else, but I don't much care for the police and fire vehicles that were made for this year. It's not the fact that they are police or fire vehicles. But it's the fact that Lego actually finds it necessary to use those big ol monster truck tires for them. I hope they go back to normal tires for emergency vehicles in future. The ones from this year are too big for the loading gauge of my town and for the new road plate system. If I worked for TLG, I'd probably recommended a smaller gauge to fit the new road system. 

However. I'd give passes to the new fire helicopter and the police helicopter chase from 2020. Those are pretty neat. 

IMO, how well newer sets compare to older ones varies a lot depending on which you're looking at… even among emergency vehicles.

For instance, 7236 is not a very good police car — like a lot of 4-stud-wide City vehicles, it has that issue where the wheels and tires stick out far beyond the wheel rims, the front and back are extremely boxy, the white wheel rims disrupt the Dark Grey stripe formed by the bumpers and chassis, and the windscreen and roof throw off the proportions even further. Plus, the light bar feels way bulkier than it needs to be. The police cars in 3648, 4436, and 60042 improve on the contours, proportions, and color blocking, but still have those awkward protruding wheels and tires (which, frankly, sort of defeat the purpose of having a 4-stud-wide chassis, since the car as a whole still has a 6-stud-wide wheelbase).

City police cars began to feel more authentic when they expanded to a 6-stud-wide chassis in sets like 60128, 60138, 60239, 60242, and 60270. Not only do the proportions feel much more realistic without the tiny chassis with disproportionately large windscreens and wheels protruding from the top and sides, but the larger size also suits this type of vehicle, since comparable models of police car IRL tend to be full-size sedans/large family cars, not compact/subcompact cars.

Fire helicopters, on the other hand, have fluctuated in quality/authenticity over the years. 7238 had interesting shaping and decent overall proportions, but its water tanks/deluge guns felt extremely fanciful/cartoonish (as others have pointed out, aside from the Erickson S-64, real-life fire helicopters rarely carry a water cannon or deluge gun, instead dropping water from either a bucket or a built-in water tank with a trapdoor), and it had a very blocky tail. In fairness, a lot of 2005 City sets like this hadn't quite broken free of the chunky, heavily stylized design language of World City sets. Five years later, 7206 introduced a more realistic water bucket instead of deluge guns, and a more streamlined tail design, although it also was also among the first sets to use the still-controversial 6-stud-wide streamlined aircraft nose and tail elements.

In 2013,   60010 reverted to using a deluge gun (albeit a smaller one that can be easily removed, while retaining the much more plausible and interesting winch function) and a blocky 2-wide brick for its tail. 60108 used a trapdoor for "water bombing", which is again a more realistic method of aerial firefighting, and a less blocky tail, although it felt fairly thin for a helicopter of that size. 60281 has perhaps the most authentic tail shaping we've seen on a 6-stud-wide fire helicopter, and although its deluge guns (integrated with the landing gear) are among the least realistic methods of water deployment, that issue can be more or less negated by simply removing the ammo pieces and treating the launchers as a structural element. All in all, pretty much all City fire helicopters have been less than ideal in one way or another, but I don't think the newer ones tend to be any worse than older ones in this regard.

In general, I think it can be easy to compare our frustrations with modern sets to our positive memories of older ones, and lose sight of how many weaker designs there often were in those earlier years as well. Many early City sets like 7240, 7642, 7737, 7892, 7894, feel cartoonish, gappy, awkwardly proportioned, or otherwise unrealistic compared to many of their newer counterparts, while others like 7244, 7249, 7344, 7685, and 7723 feel way too bloated in size to fit with a typical City layout, even one primarily based around other sets of their time!

So even if modern sets are flawed in their own ways, in ten years or so it's plausible that we'll remember recent years of City sets for the good things they had to offer, not the bad ones. After all, we tend to have the most vivid memories of the sets we buy for our own collections, not the ones that we decide aren't worth it — and of the ones that stand out as unique from those that preceded or followed them, not of the ones that felt unoriginal or mundane.

@Aanchir Well you certainly talk a lot. No disrespect intended. But you kinda made assumptions from my point in a lot of your essay. 

30 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

For instance, 7236 is not a very good police car — like a lot of 4-stud-wide City vehicles, it has that issue where the wheels and tires stick out far beyond the wheel rims, the front and back are extremely boxy, the white wheel rims disrupt the Dark Grey stripe formed by the bumpers and chassis, and the windscreen and roof throw off the proportions even further. Plus, the light bar feels way bulkier than it needs to be. The police cars in 3648, 4436, and 60042 improve on the contours, proportions, and color blocking, but still have those awkward protruding wheels and tires (which, frankly, sort of defeat the purpose of having a 4-stud-wide chassis, since the car as a whole still has a 6-stud-wide wheelbase).

I prefer six stud wide vehicles myself. The vehicles from the four stud wide era, like you said, are bland and don't really add any flavor to realism - which is what City is supposed to represent. The six stud wide cars from 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 add much more of a sleeker and more acceptable look for vehicles that are supposed to resemble reality. Even some of the cars from 2020 sets like the tuning workshop. service station and the small police brick box even do a great job with that. So with that being said, I myself prefer six stud wide vehicles. I've only got six stud wide automobiles in my town with some of them being copies of the police car from 2019, which in my opinion, is the best police car that Lego has ever made. Nice job making that one standalone, Lego! Much easier to obtain that way.

37 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

ire helicopters, on the other hand, have fluctuated in quality/authenticity over the years. 7238 had interesting shaping and decent overall proportions, but its water tanks/deluge guns felt extremely fanciful/cartoonish (as others have pointed out, aside from the Erickson S-64, real-life fire helicopters rarely carry a water cannon or deluge gun, instead dropping water from either a bucket or a built-in water tank with a trapdoor), and it had a very blocky tail. In fairness, a lot of 2005 City sets like this hadn't quite broken free of the chunky, heavily stylized design language of World City sets. Five years later, 7206 introduced a more realistic water bucket instead of deluge guns, and a more streamlined tail design, although it also was also among the first sets to use the still-controversial 6-stud-wide streamlined aircraft nose and tail elements.

But you say that like I said something wrong..... That was my point. Better YET, the helicopters that Lego started off with for the City theme were also bland and unrealistic. In my honest opinion, Lego didn't start doing good helicopters until the 2010 fire wave where we got the first big detailed helicopter. Though the rescue helicopter from the 2006 medical subtheme should also kinda count too. Obviously it did well with test audiences as Lego saw fit to start a trend of doing big helicopters in the 2010s which also was a great move on Lego's part. I don't really care for little helicopters though. They're good for children who like small builds, but I used them for table towning so I need the big ones. Speaking of helicopters, I'm actually glad that the crappy pull cord versions were one and done. You can tell that Lego didn't waste any time in acknowledging our pleas to get rid of those after 2020. They also had low ratings on the official site too. 

43 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

In general, I think it can be easy to compare our frustrations with modern sets to our positive memories of older ones, and lose sight of how many weaker designs there often were in those earlier years as well. Many early City sets like 7240, 7642, 7737, 7892, 7894, feel cartoonish, gappy, awkwardly proportioned, or otherwise unrealistic compared to many of their newer counterparts, while others like 7244, 7249, 7344, 7685, and 7723 feel way too bloated in size to fit with a typical City layout, even one primarily based around other sets of their time!

So even if modern sets are flawed in their own ways, in ten years or so it's plausible that we'll remember recent years of City sets for the good things they had to offer, not the bad ones. After all, we tend to have the most vivid memories of the sets we buy for our own collections, not the ones that we decide aren't worth it — and of the ones that stand out as unique from those that preceded or followed them, not of the ones that felt unoriginal or mundane.

Well I never said that there weren't any positives to the newer sets. Like I mentioned above and in the paragraph that you responded to, some of the emergency vehicles are actually nice. Especially the fire engines from 2019. 2019 counts as newer as it was lest than 10 years ago. Fire is my favorite City subtheme btw. The fire command unit (the set in my avatar) is one of those. I'll excuse the monster truck tires on that one as Lego was probably trying to go for one of those old MACK truck looks that they used in the late 60s to early 80s. I'm actually planning to obtain that one along with the fire rescue helicopter since I don't have a fire helicopter in my town yet. I'll need that one. There is also the SWAT truck that is supposed to come with the crook's hideout (DARN IT LEGO!!!! RELEASE IT ALREADY!!!!) which also is excusable for obvious reasons....and of course the police boat - which I'm also getting. The prisoner transport and that tiny jeep thingy for the fire sets of this year though are kinda lame. So yeah, I wasn't saying that I hate them. I was simply saying that I wouldn't get them over older ones (ones as recent as 2019 ones). 

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

That's why 4207 was a great set, and it cemented my preference for four wide vehicles, as it used smaller, more accurate wheels than other sets. I replace the unsightly grey chassis piece with a white one for some cars or build my own in the correct colour.

Your sentiments on fire helicopter design I would echo completely. I think 60010 was probably the nicest aesthetically, but if it incorporated the bucket or trapdoor of its predecessor or successor it would have been much better.

So, we are only 1 day till March 1st and as it was said before, it is clear that we won't get the Crooks Hideout. However on the other hand, it is not so obvious as TLG can still make some quiet release as exclusivity but... they won't be able to cover the fact, that the set contains some bomb factory building which is not good in the terms of world terrorism. Personally I don't see it that way but everyone could say 'hey, Lego promotes terrorism'.
I'm wondering if they really can cancel the set having almost everything (quite huge project is finished with the instruction (<- probably) and the box ready - I mean it is not at preliminary image stage).
Yes, Lego dynamite or bomb parts already exist. And even in the latest police station, we can blow out the prison crates with the dynamite. So if 60278 is/will be canceled due to the bomb theme, this could sound like hypocrisy to me. But bomb factory, if someone will think that way, is maybe too much then? But overall I am sad because I am hyped for this set. I love it as a whole thing and I am ready to purchase it. 

May I post a pure speculation? 

When I notice Freinds’ new sets that focus on vet, this leads me to assume that City may hve vet subtheme next year. I mean, Friends had ocean subtheme in 2019. And then City had ocean exploration subtheme last year. Friend had jungle rescue subtheme last year then City will have wildlife resuce subtheme this year. So I really don’t know if City will have a vet subtheme next year. These nnew Friends’ vet sets will be available soon. 

I am a fan of City theme but I LOVE to see more animals rather than vechiles and police and fire stations sets.

Any thoughts?

34 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

@DBlegonerd7 Well....the wildlife subtheme is kinda like a vet theme. You are technically saving the lives of animals. Just in a different way. 

True...but I would love to see some vet clinic in city area instead out in the wild. 

Right now, it’s waaaaay early to predict without any apporiate/solid info tho. It’s just my 100% pure speculation. :) 

9 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

True...but I would love to see some vet clinic in city area instead out in the wild. 

Right now, it’s waaaaay early to predict without any apporiate/solid info tho. It’s just my 100% pure speculation. :) 

Hmmm.....you've got a point. Maybe they'll be one with this years Town D2C sets. One thing that I applaud Lego for doing with City since 2018 was releasing town planning sets every summer. Even though we recieved two over the winter, I'm still keeping hope alive for a few this summer. 

We’ve had vets in the Friends and Modulars lines, but never city as far as I know.  Closest I can think of are this summer’s wildlife rescue sets and an older fire set with the fire chief and a cat up a tree - stuff like that....

29 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Hmmm.....you've got a point. Maybe they'll be one with this years Town D2C sets. One thing that I applaud Lego for doing with City since 2018 was releasing town planning sets every summer. Even though we recieved two over the winter, I'm still keeping hope alive for a few this summer. 

Exactly, I think it would be cool to have a city vet clinic.

What is the set number for Town D2c by the way? Is it confirmed? 

5 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Not really confirmed. But I'm assuming its one of the numbers that hasn't been announced yet. Such as 60302 or 60307 to 60309. 

23 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Not really confirmed. But I'm assuming its one of the numbers that hasn't been announced yet. Such as 60302 or 60307 to 60309. 

Gotcha! And 60302? That’s one of Wildlife Resuce sets. So we know pretty much. It’s the (preliminary) set with new elephant molds. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

I just checked Promobricks and Brickset websites. It looks like 60307 is not listed among other sets. I don’t know what it means but I sure hope it’s not cancelled or whatever it is. 

So we have to wait little more. 

19 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I just checked Promobricks and Brickset websites. It looks like 60307 is not listed among other sets. I don’t know what it means but I sure hope it’s not cancelled or whatever it is. 

So we have to wait little more. 

Promobrick and Brickset don't have a list, but Stonewars has 60307, 60308.
Stonewars provides faster information than the site above.

1 hour ago, LCP said:

Gotcha thanks!

2 hours ago, LCP said:

I hope one of those is a bus set. 

27 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I hope one of those is a bus set. 

No, 60307 is a wildlife set and 60308 is a police set

On 2/28/2021 at 2:36 AM, Brandon Pea said:

60302 is the wildlife rescue operation(already revealed), 60307 is the wildlife base and 60309 is the selfie motorcycle(already revealed too) 

On 2/27/2021 at 9:07 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

Not yet, if we have one it could be 60312, but if 60312 is going to be a January 2022 set, the upcoming summer D2C will be the wildlife base

one thing I want from lego city is new trains in 2022. the 2018 wave didnt have a train station, and I really need one, and the old ones are crazy expensive. I also think it could be cool to have the new road plates go through the train tracks.

Edited by toopizza13

1 hour ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Not yet, if we have one it could be 60312, but if 60312 is going to be a January 2022 set, the upcoming summer D2C will be the wildlife base

Understood, thank you. 

I’m relieved to know that 60307 is still listed as Wildlife Rescue.

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Disappointed by Lego again. 

Sorry buddy, but at least we get some cool animal molds that we could use them as zoo animals! 

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Disappointed by Lego again. 

Here's something to tell to everyone who sees and/or replies in this topic:The crook's hideout set isn't canceled(the information I'm about to tell came from various sources), due to covid 19, most part of the new sets were delayed,due to it. 

The set is going to be released in summer, if it don't, the set would be canceled 

29 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

one thing I want from lego city is new trains in 2022. the 2018 wave didnt have a train station, and I really need one, and the old ones are crazy expensive. I also think it could be cool to have the new road plates go through the train tracks.

Yea, I really wanted a new train station with a more modern look, that idea with the roadplates sounds nice, it is more easier to connect the rails to roads! :pir-laugh::thumbup: