Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

8 hours ago, danth said:

So we have:

• People who have anything critical to say shouldn't be here
  • People who have anything critical to say will be strawmanned as thinking the past was perfect
  • People can't criticize anything unless they literally take over LEGO from the inside and make the changes they want

How about this instead:

People who can't take the slightest criticism of LEGO without having a breakdown should go start a cult together and leave us people who actually HAVE opinions in peace.

Sorry, I was too busy going on to the other gazillion threads of things I don’t normally engage with to say how I think everything is rubbish and wrong. Did I miss something?

6 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

Instead I offered you a constructive path forward which could potentially really change the product design and line-up of Lego sets if you apply your ideas at the company. I meant that. It was meant as an advise not a personal attack. People spend their lives bit**ing about the state of the world at large,

Oh sorry, I thought it was a sarcastic comment driven by the idea that people aren't allowed to complain, apparently I was wro --

People spend their lives bit**ing about the state of the world at large

Oh...why do I suspect that your comment was really a sarcastic dismissal after all? :laugh:

when they have the power to change their immediate environment around them all along. One comment on a forum isn't gonna sway a Lego executive or designer to suddenly make better sets. You could start an online movement on social media

Dude.

Dude dude dude dude.

DUDE.

Say it with me:

CLASSIC. THEMED. CREATOR. SETS.

Yes. That was me. You're welcome.

Also aren't you saying with your last sentence that only a negative opinion against something (like the Lego City wave) is in your eyes to "actually HAVE opinions". Isn't that a little bit extreme? Shouldn't the expression of both pro and contra arguments and views be allowed on a Lego discussion forum?

Ah, there we go, my little "fight fire with fire" tactic worked. Now you agree that BOTH kinds of opinions should be allowed, both positive and negative, don't you? Yes let's go with that.

Or are you perceiving Eurobricks as a Lego hate "cult", where people can only vent their negative opinions about Lego products and all positive views should be banned? Just asking to clarify your sentence here and not attacking you personally.

Nah but I do prefer critical (that doesn't mean negative; google it if you need to) opinions over uncritical fanboy gushing, and I don't think we need a gestapo that comes around to silence anyone who wants to vent.

I don't think comments like "oh look a negative comment , why are you here?" helps any forum discussion at all, no matter who it's from.

I see this "If you don't like it, don't buy it" everywhere these days as well, it doesn't add anything constructive from either side.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, Metanoios91 said:

are you perceiving Eurobricks as a Lego hate "cult", where people can only vent their negative opinions about Lego products and all positive views should be banned?

Quite the opposite from.my experience. I've always viewed Eurobricks as that forum where negative opinions are NOT allowed. Or at least it felt that way.

5 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I see this "If you don't like it, don't buy it" everywhere these days as well, it doesn't add anything constructive from either side.

That comment has always, ALWAYS meant "Do not share critical opinions of official products." Anyone who says otherwise is simply lying.

We're not dumb, people. We've cracked your little code. :laugh:

11 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't think comments like "oh look a negative comment , why are you here?" helps any forum discussion at all, no matter who it's from.

Yeah! To be quite honest, that comment had always got on my nerves. Talk about a different form of censorship. 

How about we try out these little zingers?

"If you like it, go buy it" i.e. stop slobbering all over your fanboy self and go buy it already. We don't need to hear your cheerleading. Prove your loyalty!

"If all you're going to do is gush, why are you even here?" i.e. if you think everything is perfect, there's nothing to really discuss.

Why haven't we used these already? Oh yeah, because people who are thoughtful and honest enough to be critical about our hobby generally aren't nasty like that.

Edited by danth

On 5/8/2021 at 5:48 AM, mon-o-mat said:

I think I like the new monkey. The old one was creepy. But what I am missing is the baby-monkey from the CMF.

That one is a chimpanzee rather than a monkey — the most obvious distinction is the lack of a tail (which is why chimpanzees are classified as apes rather than monkeys)

I definitely have a lot of nostalgia for the old monkey, particularly the cleverness of using minifig arms for its arms and legs. That said, there's also a lot of stuff I prefer about the new monkey:

• The smoother printed face feels more appropriate for a distant relative of "human" minifigs than the unprinted, elaborately molded face of the classic LEGO monkey.
  • The shape of the tail and the part's distribution of weight seem to allow it to swing or dangle from trees in more varied ways than the old monkey could.
  • The back legs now have an anti-stud so the new monkey can attach more securely to models in a conventional sitting/standing pose, instead of only being able to balance loosely on a surface or clip to a bar.
  • Finally, this monkey is much smaller than the traditional one, closer to the size of LEGO dogs and cats. This definitely feels a lot more realistic, since the previous LEGO monkey was closer to the size of the standard minifigure, or even the new baby elephant!

I also suspect that the new monkey being a single mold makes it a lot less costly to include in sets, to the point that even one of this year's polybag sets is able to include a monkey, a minifigure, AND a reasonably substantial vehicle build. Compare that to 6235, in which the build itself was negligible, and the emphasis was on the figures and accessories. Similarly, 60300 is apparently priced at just 10 Euros, but includes a minifigure, three fairly decent builds, a scorpion, and TWO monkeys! Whereas there has NEVER been a set with more than one classic LEGO monkey.

In general, this subtheme seems to have a big emphasis on animal groups/families, I wouldn't be surprised if the possibility of including more monkeys per set was a factor in deciding to introduce a new monkey design. And considering that the LEGO monkey has largely disappeared from sets for over a decade at this point (the 2015 Pirates sets had no monkeys at all, and even the Ninjago's Monkey Wretch only ever appeared in two sets), it certainly seems like a single-piece monkey design like this would have much stronger chances of appearing more frequently in the future.

And from a MOCist perspective, it wouldn't be too hard to use this newer monkey design to represent a different species of monkey than the classic one — after all, as mentioned, this one is considerably smaller than that one was!

On 5/8/2021 at 6:17 AM, *thomas* said:

Because LEGO is not just city. And on a forum, I'm free to have (and share) my personal opinion, otherwise this wouldn't be called a forum. I really dislike the way LEGO is taking city these last couple of years. I'm a 90s kid, and LEGO made some bad decisions back then (esp after 1996). 10 years ago, LEGO made some great city sets that depicted the real world (farm, harbour etc).

Even last year they gave us an amazing safari offroader. The contrast between that and the new safari line couldn't be bigger. They don't complement each other.

This wave does feel a lot different from the Safari Off-Roader, but I don't see anything especially unrealistic about it. If anything, I was a little surprised that this wave went with such a subdued color scheme for its vehicles compared to earlier exploration-focused waves like the Arctic, Deep Sea, Jungle, Volcano, and Ocean Explorers subthemes, which were heavily criticized for their color schemes back when they were first announced. Even the one 4+ set from this subtheme, 60301, feels surprisingly detailed and authentic compared to previous 4+ City sets.

I feel like a lot of the differences from the Safari Off-Roader stem from this subtheme being more exploration/rescue focused, and thus having color schemes, designs, and graphics suited to heavy-duty work vehicles. The Safari Off-Roader, by contrast, seemed much more vacation/leisure focused, with a zebra-striped paint job that felt geared towards a safari park setting than the open wilderness.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:35 AM, Roebuck said:

Well they don't, yes they make some new pieces for a new dinosaur, but most of the parts they take from other dinosaurs.
From what I can see from the dinosaurs that came last year:

1. Ankylosaurus 12 parts 3 new
  2. Indominus rex 8 parts 2 new
  3. Gallimimus 8 parts 1 new
  4. Pteranodon 5 parts 0 new
  5. Ankylosaurus Baby 1 part 1 new
  6. Triceratops Baby 3 parts 1 new
  7. Velociraptor 8 parts 0 new
  8. Dinosaur Baby 1 part 0 new

Additionally, I think it's important to note that a lot of the parts used for molded dinosaurs are used across MULTIPLE dinosaurs. So there's a lot of opportunity to reuse the molds even if each particular dinosaur only shows up every now and then.

Elephants are a different story. LEGO has had several dinosaur-focused themes over the years, but never an elephant-focused theme. And there are not a whole lot of different species with the same size and body plan as an African elephant — even other large quadrupeds like hippos and rhinos are much smaller, with a very different shape and appearance. So specific elephant molds would really only be able to show up when there happens to be a subtheme that calls for elephants — and even then, likely only in one or two large sets from that subtheme.

And as @Lyichir brought up, there are some implicit limitations of the new elephant's proportions. The old elephant's bowlegged design had an 8x10 footprint, which is why it was even possible for the pre-assembled leg piece to attach via sides of the torso rather than the bottom, this one has a 4x10 footprint. In other words, much like the LEGO horse, the gap between the right and left legs of the new elephant is negligible, and would not really be conducive to having separate right leg, left leg, and torso pieces like we see on larger Jurassic World dinosaurs.

Even a hypothetical version of this elephant with posable back legs would likely need to be pre-assembled like the current LEGO horse — likely adding quite a bit to the cost for just one additional point of articulation and just as few alternate uses as the current design. And as nice as that might've been, I can definitely see why LEGO didn't want to tack on that additional expense to these two sets, when they could put that money towards including more animals OTHER than elephants.

20 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Even a hypothetical version of this elephant with posable back legs would likely need to be pre-assembled like the current LEGO horse — likely adding quite a bit to the cost for just one additional point of articulation and just as few alternate uses as the current design. And as nice as that might've been, I can definitely see why LEGO didn't want to tack on that additional expense to these two sets, when they could put that money towards including more animals OTHER than elephants.

I think it is a missed opportunity to change the trunk to one with "lips", aka a clip. Also I think its tail and ears being possable would give it a much creater range of poses.

I've been wanting to get a tiger for a moc where it's kind of the main part. I really need it to be a traditional orange one with black stripes, but they are expensive and rare since the kind I need only appeared in the 2017 Lego Jungle 60162 Jungle Air Drop Helicopter. Does anyone think we will get a piece of that specific animal in one of these soon, or should I bite the bullet and pick the older ones up? The fact that this is the first time we're getting an elephant piece since those two sets in Orient Expedition, over 15 years ago, tells me I shouldn't hold my breath.

29 minutes ago, jedisquidward said:

I've been wanting to get a tiger for a moc where it's kind of the main part. I really need it to be a traditional orange one with black stripes, but they are expensive and rare since the kind I need only appeared in the 2017 Lego Jungle 60162 Jungle Air Drop Helicopter. Does anyone think we will get a piece of that specific animal in one of these soon, or should I bite the bullet and pick the older ones up? The fact that this is the first time we're getting an elephant piece since those two sets in Orient Expedition, over 15 years ago, tells me I shouldn't hold my breath.

I mean, I *would* expect a tiger to show up again sometime - seems a no brainer since they have the mould. That said, I think they will choose a different colour like dark orange maybe. I dunno, as you know, Lego animals can be a long time a-coming. Maybe best to look out for a decent deal on eBay or bricklink?

Edited by williejm
Typo

8 hours ago, jedisquidward said:

I have been searching for a tiger at a fair price. I checked Amazon and i was too late - someone bought it. EBay is, well, ok. Bricklink is ok-ok. 

And I would assume a tiger may make another appearance in a near future. I mean, Lego has the same mold for lioness, jaguar, leopard, tiger, and ever, mountain lion. If Wildlife Rescue is successful, thanks to Lego aniamls, Lego may do some jungle-themed subtheme in future. Now, please kindly do not quote me on it.

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

I have been searching for a tiger at a fair price. I checked Amazon and i was too late - someone bought it. EBay is, well, ok. Bricklink is ok-ok. 

And I would assume a tiger may make another appearance in a near future. I mean, Lego has the same mold for lioness, jaguar, leopard, tiger, and ever, mountain lion. If Wildlife Rescue is successful, thanks to Lego aniamls, Lego may do some jungle-themed subtheme in future. Now, please kindly do not quote me on it.

10 hours ago, jedisquidward said:

I didn't know these had gotten so expensive, at $30+ vs $5-10 for the other big cat figures. What is weird is that LEGO hasn't bothered to put one in another set despite using the mold regularly, though I suppose the tiger is one of the more expensive variants with its significant printing. I had to double check that I really owned one, and found I had paid $15 US for it in October 2017. I'm sure I questioned the expense at the time, but it pays to get in early with unique animals. 

Edited by Vorkosigan

2 hours ago, Vorkosigan said:

I didn't know these had gotten so expensive, at $30+ vs $5-10 for the other big cat figures. What is weird is that LEGO hasn't bothered to put one in another set despite using the mold regularly, though I suppose the tiger is one of the more expensive variants with its significant printing.

I don't think it's really a cost issue. Keep in mind that LEGO hasn't had any other City sets/subthemes lately with a jungle setting where tigers, leopards, or panthers would make sense. I mean, look at the sets we've seen other big cats in — lions and lionesses have shown up in sets based on African savannah settings, the puma/mountain lion appeared in sets based on American mountain settings, and the frozen sabre-toothed cat appeared in sets based on an arctic setting.

Also, note that none of these designs have continued to appear in sets for more than one wave. So I suspect the priority of the designers has been on introducing different biomes (and different wildlife endemic to those biomes) to keep things feeling fresh and exciting, and only circle back to jungle-based sets after they feel like it's been long enough for them to feel "fresh" again — sort of like how the Friends theme didn't get a second Jungle Rescue wave until summer 2020, six years after the original Jungle Rescue wave in summer 2014.

How long it takes before they decide the market's ready for another wave of sets similar to a previous one is not fixed, of course! The gap between the 2015 Deep Sea Explorers and 2020 Ocean Explorers sets was only five years, and the gap between the 2014 and 2018 Arctic sets was a year shorter than that! But regardless, it'll probably be at LEAST another year before LEGO is ready to take a chance on a second jungle-based City subtheme. In the meantime, I'm glad they've continued to find new uses for some of those same animal molds so we don't have to worry about them abruptly retiring them.

Also, for what it's worth, next year's Chinese zodiac animal is the tiger! So it's not implausible that we might see a tiger in one of that year's Chinese Festival sets well before we know whether or not LEGO has any plans for jungle-related City sets the following summer. Only time will tell, I guess.

13 hours ago, mon-o-mat said:

I think it is a missed opportunity to change the trunk to one with "lips", aka a clip. Also I think its tail and ears being possable would give it a much creater range of poses.

That could have been neat (LEGO did do that for the adult elephant in last year's Friends sets). But of course, they probably would have needed to make back when they introduced this trunk piece for the mammoth in the 2018 Arctic sets. I feel like it'd be a bit of a waste to introduce a second trunk mold after that when this one works so nicely for both species.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to include a stud connection so that a piece could be attached to represent a spray of water, since that's one of the iconic things elephants do with their trunks sometimes. In the Friends sets, the baby elephant had a 1.5mm hole at the end of its trunk for that same purpose. In the City sets, on the other hand the baby elephant's trunk is the one that's clip-shaped to grasp a horizontal 3.2mm bar.

Edited by Aanchir

With 2021 being animal heavy, I suspect 2022 will be something different like coast guard or something.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

With 2021 being animal heavy, I suspect 2022 will be something different like coast guard or something.

Lately City tends to get at least one science and exploration focused subtheme per year, even years when the summer releases also include other subthemes like Airport, Coast Guard, and Trains. Even this year, the summer sets that we've heard about so far include both a Wildlife Rescue subtheme and a Stunt Show subtheme. Plus, last year's Ocean Explorers sets were fairly animal-focused themselves! So even if there's no guarantee that next year's exploration-type subtheme would be one with lots of animals, I don't think it's all that unlikely.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

At least we will not get the benefit of this wave until 2023. What I mean is that if this wave sell like crazy because of the animals, Lego will not have time to make a new animal heavy 2022 wave because of that. However test groups and high sales for animals previously could still be enough for them to give us a lot of animals next year as well :shrug_oh_well:

13 hours ago, jonwil said:

Maybe, it would be different, away from animal-focused subtheme for a few years. Coast Guard may sound really neat if they have seal, seagull, crab, hermit crab, etc. I mean, Lego should have realized how well animal-focused sets are sold. 

12 hours ago, Roebuck said:

At least we will not get the benefit of this wave until 2023. What I mean is that if this wave sell like crazy because of the animals, Lego will not have time to make a new animal heavy 2022 wave because of that. However test groups and high sales for animals previously could still be enough for them to give us a lot of animals next year as well :shrug_oh_well:

Yeah exactly 

Coast Guard can be more then just the orange/white vehicles, if they do it, I hope they Tie it in with a Marina or something, if they need boats to rescue.

8x16 Road plates in brown could make a decent wooden pier, or just blue for water, or a raised Quay in either light or darkgrey.

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

Coast Guard can be more then just the orange/white vehicles, if they do it, I hope they Tie it in with a Marina again, road plates in brown could make a decent pier, or just blue for water, or a raised Quay in either light or darkgrey.

I kinda like the orange, white and blue colors. But I do see your pin t though. 

11 minutes ago, Poodabricks said:

I kinda like the orange, white and blue colors. But I do see your pin t though. 

I think the color scheme is fine, I'm mainly saying more locations, 2017 and 2008 had a headquarters/platform. 

Road Plates might work for a decent Platform base.

2017, 2013, 2008 all came with civilian boats to rescue, but only 2011 had an actual marina.

Edited by TeriXeri

So far for this year City is Town Center to suburbs, Fire and Police, Wildlife Rescue (southern Africa), and the upcoming Stunts/Racing. Sprinkled in the middle have been some small infrastructure sets, and the upcoming sets are likely to have some TV crew included. I could see an Action News theme following this.