Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

3 minutes ago, fo4saken said:

@Powered by Bricks you are right man, on the box picture there are two gfx effects: swat truck hits front left door/gate and it falls inside the building. Second effect is behind that small red car, maybe there is some kind of launcher inside garage? 

It probably use the same system as the crook's island set 

60131-1.jpg?201511230710

Edited by Powered by Bricks

Okay LEGO didn't even worry to hide the new crook hideout set... :laugh_hard:

EDIT: How can I remove the spoiller?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by Xico26

1 hour ago, fo4saken said:

I wonder how the heli will work... Will one rotor rotate one side and second one inversely? Hmm...

That is how the real thing works, but I never thought it would be possible with Lego. 

I like the cars and the building ,but the helicopter is just not needed in that hideout set, never liked those cockpit parts either, but gotta admit the parts use for the rear shape is clever using those long triangle sloped parts.

But still might consider it if the interior/figures are good, and on a sale, seems like a great set with 30% off or more.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Bornin1980something said:

That is how the real thing works, but I never thought it would be possible with Lego. 

It's definitely been done on larger helicopters in themes like Technic and Ultra Agents, but I think this is the first time it's been done on a small (City-scale) helicopter. I'm curious how it's done because the space between the propellers and the open interior doesn't seem large enough for a full Technic gearbox like those other sets used, making me think there might be a newer part used to miniaturize the gearing (though I could be wrong—they're very resourceful over in Denmark).

Are those wheels between the two propellors, so they wil rotate the other way?

On 1/4/2021 at 7:13 PM, jonwil said:

LEGO almost certainly knows there are people who want more public transport sets.but the fact that LEGO hasn't made more of them suggests that LEGO doesn't think they will sell (and presumably has some sort of evidence to back that up based on market research etc) 

I don't know about that. It's just as possible that they've decided that public transit related builds sell BETTER in Town sets like 60200, 60233, and 60271 where they serve as the connective tissue between miscellaneous "destinations", than as a stand-alone subtheme that's more focused on the transit network itself than the ways that people use it.

Just as fire truck and police car sets are more fun and exciting for kids when they include fires to put out or criminals to catch, a bus, tram, or taxi set is almost certainly more fun and exciting for kids when it includes a variety of places for passengers to travel to and from — whether that be for work, shopping, or tourism/leisure. Each additional "point of interest" for passengers to travel to or from significantly expands the play potential of the transit vehicles themselves.

Now, don't get me wrong — a set based around a bus station/terminal and a bus like 379 or 60154 can be a great set in its own right, and I don't think it'd be at all unrealistic to hope for more sets like that in the future (maybe even one as robust as some train station or airport sets have been in the past, with an integrated ticket window/service counter, waiting area, food vendor, etc).

But I worry that creating an entire subtheme specifically around transit-related builds would run the risk of those builds offering less excitement and play value than they would as part of a more varied "Town" assortment. And for all we know, we could already be getting a greater number and variety of transit-related models through this current approach than we would from them being released as larger and more focused (but less frequent) waves like the City Trains and Airport subthemes. I mean, we've clearly gotten more buses, trams, and taxis in the past five years of City than in over two decades of LEGO Town!

I am going to try out the new roads. I know base plates might have looked better, especially in huge catalogue dioramas. But I never had the space to make a permanent town scene with them. These new plates should be better for temporary displays. As for the slightly narrower roads, perhaps because they still work in multiples of 8, they certainly don't look as narrow as the roads on last year's Advent calendar.

ad2001.jpg

My first haul of 2021 sets arrived today, along with a 2020 set, a free car, an Xtra bag, and three new CMFs, none of whom were actually on my wanted list

boxes01.jpg

On 1/6/2021 at 6:04 PM, Aanchir said:

I don't know about that. It's just as possible that they've decided that public transit related builds sell BETTER in Town sets like 60200, 60233, and 60271 where they serve as the connective tissue between miscellaneous "destinations", than as a stand-alone subtheme that's more focused on the transit network itself than the ways that people use it.

However, given the unusual way Lego has decided to do things for City as of January, I wouldn't count a public transport subtheme out entirely. Even though it's not a connection in the sets alone - it could have a connection to other sets. They have easter eggs for a reason. Like how they tied fire and sky police together with the little fireman statue in the drone chase. Lego could do a 2021 public transportation subtheme the same way. The destination signs on the buses could say that the bus is going to the City Center (like it did in set no. 60154) or Main Square or Shopping Street. One of the sets could include Mayor Fleck boarding a bus that says its going to City Hall. I don't speak for anyone else, but I actually see potential in a public transportation subtheme. Similar to how I see potential in subthemes centered around other vital city services like garbage trucks, tow trucks or hospitals. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I think the reason 60278 was launched late is because the building's bomb sign is controversial.

@LCP probably; however they could predict some issues before inventing Daisy Kaboom character

55317_Day%2016b.JPG

We have got 60246 Police Station with Daisy ofc, and it will have good match with the Crooks Hideout (in the matter of play/fun).

23 minutes ago, fo4saken said:

@LCP probably; however they could predict some issues before inventing Daisy Kaboom character

55317_Day%2016b.JPG

We have got 60246 Police Station with Daisy ofc, and it will have good match with the Crooks Hideout (in the matter of play/fun).

I also thought Daisy Kaboom's character would be an issue.
Because there's a bomb in her costume.

The criminals have a great building, but not $80-$100 great that the piece count will be.

But 8 wide buildings! I don't care if you like the road plates or not but you must be happy we are getting buildings again!

16 minutes ago, Maple said:

The criminals have a great building, but not $80-$100 great that the piece count will be.

But 8 wide buildings! I don't care if you like the road plates or not but you must be happy we are getting buildings again!

It's the new price policy

No long in the past a big police o fire station was 70€ with their big building, their helicopter, their 3 cars/vans and several minifigs

Recently a big helicopter plus a police PMV was easily 49,99€ like https://brickset.com/sets/60209-1/Diamond-Heist

Add the cost of one and half roadplate and the price is on nowadays average

2 hours ago, Maple said:

I love the way it looks too. I wanna buy. 

2 hours ago, El Garfio said:

Add the cost of one and half roadplate and the price is on nowadays average

That's because LEGO know it's fans of City and Star Wars will pay pretty much any insane price for sets. At least they are cheaper than the time several years ago where $120 got you 550 piece space shuttle. The last rocket was 800+ pieces and 100.

On 1/6/2021 at 4:41 PM, SollX said:

Are those wheels between the two propellors, so they wil rotate the other way?

Sure looks like it, wonder how it looks in real life, seems like it would look a little odd.

Thank you all very much for the information! :classic:

It seems as if some of you had been right about 60278 coming in late winter - I'm glad about this fact since this is the City set of the winter wave I'm looking the most forward to:

Imo the price is too high, the police truck is missing doors, I dislike these Creator 3 in 1 style small cars and the new road plates and could very well have lived without the heli.

But I really like it that we get a two floors big civilian building in an interesting new architectual style and with an interior depth of six studs and - like it seems - with some neat interior, too. Plus there seem to be some funny action elements and the battering ram in front of the police truck is something completely new, too.

Lego City is definately going into the right direction (concerning prices and street plates not, but nearly everything other yes)! :thumbup:

Btw: I built up 60291 Modern Familiy Home yesterday and I must say that I'm really happy with this set! Imo it's an improvement over the set from 2010 and it is for sure the best set under the medium and big City sets where the price is justified.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

3 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you all very much for the information! :classic:

It seems as if some of you had been right about 60278 coming in late winter - I'm glad about this fact since this is the City set of the winter wave I'm looking the most forward to:

Imo the price is too high, the police truck is missing doors, I dislike these Creator 3 in 1 style small cars and the new road plates and could very well have lived without the heli.

But I really like it that we get a two floors big civilian building in an interesting new architectual style and with an interior depth of six studs and - like it seems - with some neat interior, too. Plus there seem to be some funny action elements and the battering ram in front of the police truck is something completely new, too.

Lego City is definately going into the right direction (concerning prices and street plates not, but nearly everything other yes)! :thumbup:

Btw: I built up 60291 Modern Familiy Home yesterday and I must say that I'm really happy with this set! Imo it's an improvement over the set from 2010 and it is for sure the best set under the medium and big City sets where the price is justified.

Edited 3 hours ago by Klaus-Dieter

I must agree with practically everything you have said (with the exception of the new street plates, I like them but I do understand why they aren't universally appreciated).

The small car I don't think works, normally I wouldn't mind but when it is next to the massive police 4wd it looks way to miniscule.

I think the building is very good as well. Because of its depth it can be easily modified to have a back, and while the dynamite stick is comical, it works for a dynamite factory or could easily be removed and the building could be anything really.

I also completely agree with the helicopter, it could have gone without it, and as for the new battering ram, I also like it. It is rare to get new functions like this and while it doesn't resemble the real battering rams used on police vehicles, I don't mind.

I think this set is probably inferior to 60009, which it is most similar to, simply because 60009 had more realistic builds, but it is good nonetheless.

As for prices, I will wait to see the prices at stores other than LEGO, which are normally cheaper, when the sets are released to them in Australia, but this set does seem expensive. I don't think prices are any worse than previous years, but sets are gradually getting more expensive. It is difficult to gauge increases because these sets are different sizes to sets of previous years, and it is difficult to judge the impact of the new road plates.

The funny thing with Europeans complaining about prices, the prices didn't get $10 add up on the last minute. USA seen price increases, Euro is just the normal high.

This is a statement from LEGO about the new baseplates and it kind of seems 'bye bye baseplate roadplates'. I love their last sentence.

There are several benefits from the new LEGO® City road plates being introduced in 2021. The new road plates play an integral role in the LEGO City products where it, due to the modular nature of the builds, allows you to be creative and create the LEGO City of your liking. This is the reason we actually believe the new road plate provides a more authentic building experience and also because it can be reconfigured in many ways and it allows you to connect your LEGO City buildings in a better way. Going forward we will also be able to include one or more road plates in relevant products across the LEGO City portfolio. This was something we were not able to with the old version. We believe this will be a big advantage for the kids as they don’t need to buy a separate road plate product to get started building their LEGO City. We also acknowledge this is a big change for the AFOL community but we believe long term the new road plate will allow for even greater fan builds and customization.

It has been of a great importance for us to develop a new element that adds new aspects to the play experience LEGO City brings to millions of kids every year and at the same time is more true to what LEGO is all about. Building.

29 minutes ago, Maple said:

The funny thing with Europeans complaining about prices, the prices didn't get $10 add up on the last minute. USA seen price increases, Euro is just the normal high.

This is a statement from LEGO about the new baseplates and it kind of seems 'bye bye baseplate roadplates'. I love their last sentence.

There are several benefits from the new LEGO® City road plates being introduced in 2021. The new road plates play an integral role in the LEGO City products where it, due to the modular nature of the builds, allows you to be creative and create the LEGO City of your liking. This is the reason we actually believe the new road plate provides a more authentic building experience and also because it can be reconfigured in many ways and it allows you to connect your LEGO City buildings in a better way. Going forward we will also be able to include one or more road plates in relevant products across the LEGO City portfolio. This was something we were not able to with the old version. We believe this will be a big advantage for the kids as they don’t need to buy a separate road plate product to get started building their LEGO City. We also acknowledge this is a big change for the AFOL community but we believe long term the new road plate will allow for even greater fan builds and customization.

It has been of a great importance for us to develop a new element that adds new aspects to the play experience LEGO City brings to millions of kids every year and at the same time is more true to what LEGO is all about. Building.

It is good to see that Lego do pay attention to AFOLs and their opinions, regardless of the outcome, especially considering City is primarily orientated at younger consumers.

Australia hasn't really had price increases either, just the usual high prices as well.

36 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

It is good to see that Lego do pay attention to AFOLs and their opinions, regardless of the outcome, especially considering City is primarily orientated at younger consumers.

Australia hasn't really had price increases either, just the usual high prices as well.

The USA price changes is simply because LEGO thinks hey can and get away with it. I don't think they understand that 1/3 of adults, 60-70 million people, don't have enough money for food or rent in the USA. So good time to increase the prices.

But now the are somewhat the same price in Europe and the USA. I don't know about Aussie pricing.

Is there launch date for 60278?

I see that set as the tipical set that malls use as hook for Xmas campaign 

9 minutes ago, El Garfio said:

Is there launch date for 60278?

I see that set as the tipical set that malls use as hook for Xmas campaign 

From what I've seen it's rumoured to come in March.