Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

The models seem to have come out all right, but it's true that the prices are high.

1 hour ago, Salix said:

I really hope they're gonna do single plates instead of those useless combinations. But I fear they're retiring them, I really hope they won't, but it does look like it.

Oh I think baseplates are being phased out, but there is some hope that they won't be.

On another note, it seems like City is granting another one of my wishes. That was to give us more Octan merch. They've dedinately done that in recent years. I wouldn't consider myself obsessed with the Octan Corp as I don't have all the pieces of Lego that is involved with Octan. But I am a fan.  

I tell you what though, given that this year seems to be based heavily on civilian based sets, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Octan tow truck sooner or later. Something similar to what was in the gas n wash express set but bigger. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

56 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

On another note, it seems like City is granting another one of my wishes. That was to give us more Octan merch. They've dedinately done that in recent years. I wouldn't consider myself obsessed with the Octan Corp as I don't have all the pieces of Lrgo that is involved with Octan. But I am a fan.  

I tell you what though, given that this year seems to be based heavily on civilian based sets, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Octan tow truck sooner or later. Something similar to what was in the gas n wash express set but bigger. 

I agree — I'm not sure how likely an Octan tow truck would be, considering how much LEGO City's in-universe brands have diversified since back then, but it's certainly not at all difficult to imagine a vehicle like that in the future, particularly if it were inn the context of other Octan-related builds like a service station.

I myself got to thinking recently about Octan's growing business as a "clean energy" supplier through their Octan-E division, and specifically wondering if the "Octan-E" equivalents might be possible for any of the other contexts where Octan branding used to frequently show up, such as railroad tanker cars. I suppose one possibility would be a train car that carries windmill components, like a railroad version of 7747 Wind Turbine Transport.

Edited by Aanchir

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I agree — I'm not sure how likely an Octan tow truck would be, considering how much LEGO City's in-universe brands have diversified since back then, but it's certainly not at all difficult to imagine a vehicle like that in the future, particularly if it were inn the context of other Octan-related builds like a service station.

Yeah! Nowadays City Towing is the towing company for Lego City though I think i like the orange creme livery with the tow truck emblem for the towing company better. I have all three of those. If they were to do an Octan tow truck, I'm think in a bigger City set. Like a mega style service station. 

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I myself got to thinking recently about Octan's growing business as a "clean energy" supplier through their Octan-E division, and specifically wondering if the "Octan-E" equivalents might be possible for any of the other contexts where Octan branding used to frequently show up, such as railroad tanker cars. I suppose one possibility would be a train car that carries windmill components, like a railroad version of 7747 Wind Turbine Transport.

Now that's something I would totally jump up and down for. I prolly wouldn't buy as my town doesn't really have enough room for rails. But I'd definitely congratulate Lego if one of those were done right. 

5 hours ago, Aanchir said:

A Octan Tow Truck would be something like this..... 

https://www.amazon.com/Lego-Classic-Town-Express-6472/dp/B001PELC4S#

The 2016 service station had one too but it wasn't a Octan Tow Truck

Edited by Powered by Bricks

On 12/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, Inspecter said:

Well with a little effort I'm sure it can work. I think you can just put these new roadplates on a baseplate and then connect the studded areas and it would work, and of course you can add additional tiles to the sides to match the width of the road baseplate but of course there's the issue of the baseplate color not matching the old road plate but there's ways to fix it.

With a little effort, anything can work. However the “fix” thus far has been to take your modulars and raise them by a plate, an added expense. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:44 AM, LCP said:

And it may seem strange now, but I think this roadblock will one day become a standard practice.

I’m going to be fine, regardless if they do get rid of the roadplates or not as I purchased another 40 of the straight/t-intersection plates a few months back. It’s just so much more added work, not to mention being smaller than what we have now. 

19 hours ago, Maple said:

That's such a silly argument I keep hearing. The people at Brickset want road baseplates and think that would be somehow cheaper. It wouldn't. The 2021 sets are better priced with the road plates than say, oh the last City set of 2020, the Main Square. $200, even worst buildings, no road plates. 2020 Police Station, 750 pieces, no roads, $100. Towne Centre $100 for a few more pieces AND has roads. Service station 350, $50, no road plates. Bank / Monster Truck set $60 for 360 pieces, no road plates. Yet this year for $20 more you get the Shopping Street for $80, 530 pieces (170 more pieces) including road plates AND more buildings. The Modern House is 388 pieces with road plates and is $10 cheaper than the bank / monster truck.

We are getting more buildings in January in the City theme than I think we ever have gotten before.

You’re cherry picking sets that are also overpriced for what you get. My point is that they are forcing people to convert to this new road system by including them in the sets. They new road plate system should be standalone like it is now. 

56 minutes ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

With a little effort, anything can work. However the “fix” thus far has been to take your modulars and raise them by a plate, an added expense.

An expense I don't mind, but alas I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye. Keep up the excellent work with your city though.

2 hours ago, Inspecter said:

An expense I don't mind, but alas I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye. Keep up the excellent work with your city though.

That expense will vary from person to person though. If you have a few buildings, it’s not to much, but what about those of us who have a bunch of buildings? That’s a huge factor for me, it would cost me thousands of dollars to convert. 

thank you for your words about my city though, it’s been a real labor of love. 

Just now, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

That expense will vary from person to person though. If you have a few buildings, it’s not to much, but what about those of us who have a bunch of buildings? That’s a huge factor for me, it would cost me thousands of dollars to convert. 

thank you for your words about my city though, it’s been a real labor of love. 

Makes sense, I don't really have that many buildings but I don't plan to convert either, I'm in the camp of I'm going to use both old Road Plates and the new ones.

4 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

You’re cherry picking sets that are also overpriced for what you get. My point is that they are forcing people to convert to this new road system by including them in the sets. They new road plate system should be standalone like it is now. 

Ummm....

I was picking out sets that had the same price points. That's not cherry picking, that comparing same price points and what you get.
Throughout the 80s and 90s LEGO 'forced' you to build buildings on baseplates. That's what made Town town. City is now doing the same thing and people are having fits.

7 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

I’m going to be fine, regardless if they do get rid of the roadplates or not as I purchased another 40 of the straight/t-intersection plates a few months back. It’s just so much more added work, not to mention being smaller than what we have now.  

I'm with @Maple on this one — it's kind of weird to act like including a road system in more than just stand-alone road packs is "forcing" people to use it, especially when road baseplates showed up in larger sets pretty frequently back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. If you really prefer the old road baseplates as the foundation of your layout, there's literally nothing preventing you from removing the road plates from the sets they appear in and using them exclusively in non-road applications like driveways, parking lots, train platforms, or bridges.

Also, I don't mean to be rude, but it's kind of grating when a lot of the most vocal complaints about the new system seem to come from people who have layouts large enough to require dozens of road baseplates. I mean, even having a collection that huge (not to mention a large enough living space for such expansive layouts) doesn't exactly make you sound like you lack the financial means of paying a higher price for road baseplates on the aftermarket if it's truly important to you. Many people's homes don't even have a spare room large enough to hold a layout that requires 40+ baseplates for its roads alone… and I say that even as a builder from a pretty wealthy background myself. :sceptic:

For that matter, glancing at your layout on Instagram, you clearly already use the MILS standard in your layout, meaning you clearly had no objection to raising up your modulars by more than a full brick. So do you really believe you're in a position to preach to us about what a dreadful inconvenience it is to raise your Modular Buildings by a single plate (at the "added expense" of a handful of small plates per building)?

I mean, all you'd actually actually need to do to use the new roads in your current layout, even in conjunction with the road baseplates you're currently using, is to raise them by one plate less than you've raised the rest of your layout! There's no requirement for you to "convert" your entire layout to use just one road system — after all, MILS is designed to allow builders to use road baseplates and more custom roads in the same layout!

And that's not even mentioning how much you've paid to tile over the curbsides on your road baseplates. If you're already that comfortable paying extra for large quantities of Dark Stone Grey tiles, that would appear to negate your concern about the size of the new roads — it takes far fewer tiles to increase the width of the new roads by a couple of studs on either side than add six studs' worth of extra tiles on each side of all your road baseplates.

All in all, I can understand if you don't like the style of the new roads, or if you don't like the way they're connected together. But frankly, your purported concern about the expense or amount of work it'd take to use them in a layout rings kind of hollow. And if you're going to persist treating modest costs like these like they're non-negotiable, even after you've voluntarily committed a greater expense and much more effort to raising your layout at least three times higher than the aforementioned "fix" would require, you're going to have a hard time earning your fellow builders' sympathy.

Edited by Aanchir

@Aanchir I'm going to be honest and say that for me personally, it just may take me a while to get used to the new road system and considering that my town doesn't have any roads yet, I may actually test the new road system out. But I still don't think its a big deal as likd you said....you can simply get road baseplates online. As long as they have a reasonable plan (which I think the new system is reasonable although I wouldn't buy) or as long as the aftermarket price is good, a couldn't give a single clutch if they got rid of road baseplates from under the City theme entirely.

Though I would recommend to Lego that they don't single road baseplates out entirely. But rather put road baseplates under the Classic theme with the other baseplabaseso that anyone who prefers to buy from stores can still get road baseplates. They're just not under City anymore. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I understand that there are many people which like the new road system. I think that kids as well as AFLOs which haven't planned or built up their city already much like it. So the expansion pack with the new road system is quite ok for me - because when you don't want or need it, you simply don't buy it.

But which I dislike is that you are forced to buy the new road system within all new bigger civilian sets. This increases the price for 5-20 Euros per set - and when you don't want or need the new roads, this is a lot of money which is then "thrown out of the window".

On 12/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, fo4saken said:

What? Did they change it indeed? Found on IG.

b929a71363323202.jpg

(Since it doesn't appear in the consumer's catalogue nor (in contrast to 60235 and 60236) at S@H,) I fear that this means that 60278 Search for the crook's hideout got cancelled - that's really bad since this was the set I was looking the most forward to because it would have been the largest crook's hideout ever plus a building which you surely could have used as an industrial building. :thumbdown:

1 hour ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

But which I dislike is that you are forced to buy the new road system within all new bigger civilian sets. This increases the price for 5-20 Euros per set - 

Once again, because clearly no one is listening, it's not increasing the price at all.

The last City house I can remember was form 10 years was about the same size and $40 USD which with inflation is $47.75. So oh yeah the prices with road plates is soooo out of line. :hmpf:

I'm done arguing over the FACTS of prices with people who clearly are living in a completely different reality.

5 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

(Since it doesn't appear in the consumer's catalogue nor (in contrast to 60235 and 60236) at S@H,) I fear that this means that 60278 Search for the crook's hideout got cancelled - that's really bad since this was the set I was looking the most forward to because it would have been the largest crook's hideout ever plus a building which you surely could have used as an industrial building. :thumbdown:

I don't think so, that set is big, and something happened to another 2021 big sets from another themes too(still for revealing), The ninjago city gardens will be released in May and the friends mall will be released in March, I think that the set 60278 will be released in April or something, because of covid 19

Edited by Powered by Bricks

And it is not my hope but feeling as well, 60278 will be released somewhere in April-June. 60305 and 60306 were not in leaks at all and they are here atm. You will see that hideout will be an equivalent of 60292 (city center) (size and price) and Lego will release at least one or two more sets with road plates to continue their 'new city style' mission. These are my predictions.

@Maple Whoa! Calm down dude.   

I can look beyond the fact that he mentioned price and see a good point being brought out. I personally think that the road pieces being included with sets was pointless. But price isn't the reason. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

5 hours ago, fo4saken said:

And it is not my hope but feeling as well, 60278 will be released somewhere in April-June. 60305 and 60306 were not in leaks at all and they are here atm. You will see that hideout will be an equivalent of 60292 (city center) (size and price) and Lego will release at least one or two more sets with road plates to continue their 'new city style' mission. These are my predictions.

I think 60278 will be released around March.
And considering the prototype of the 60278 product, we expect the number of bricks to exceed 1,000.

9 hours ago, Maple said:

i dont think they cancelled it, covid probably messed it up, or they wanted to delay it becuase of BLM. i think it will be released march or summer.

6 hours ago, fo4saken said:
11 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I understand that there are many people which like the new road system. I think that kids as well as AFLOs which haven't planned or built up their city already much like it. So the expansion pack with the new road system is quite ok for me - because when you don't want or need it, you simply don't buy it.

But which I dislike is that you are forced to buy the new road system within all new bigger civilian sets. This increases the price for 5-20 Euros per set - and when you don't want or need the new roads, this is a lot of money which is then "thrown out of the window".

used the wrong quote above

Edited by toopizza13

Actually you can raise buildings with little cost with foamboard or cardboard, so I do not see where thousands of dollars for raising them would come from. And that´s something which has been done during exhibitions for ages...

Streets were included in quite some sets in the pre-2000s and sets without streets is a rather recent thing. So I am quite happy to see them return.
Including the streets in new sets is quite logical, since that´s the best way to let customers experience them without them having to pay extra for the street set.

If you want to keep the old road plates:

You can use the new roadplates for creating an square (with a fount or a statue in the middle), for creating any sort of playgrounds, or like the sets provided by lego for adding a skate park or a hockey rink (you can also add a custom basketball hoop or a football goal).

The idea to use them as parking places is also interesting.

1 hour ago, AndreMW said:

Actually you can raise buildings with little cost with foamboard or cardboard, so I do not see where thousands of dollars for raising them would come from. And that´s something which has been done during exhibitions for ages...

Streets were included in quite some sets in the pre-2000s and sets without streets is a rather recent thing. So I am quite happy to see them return.
Including the streets in new sets is quite logical, since that´s the best way to let customers experience them without them having to pay extra for the street set.

I use some foam sheets for my roads

If you use mils for your modulars, you can attach them to the new roads using this lego part

4654582.jpg

20 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

They probably moved it to have a summer release I hope. the last thing we need is another 6500.