Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

2 hours ago, williejm said:

... rather alarmed to see a dog poop fouling the street in set 60306. I expected more responsible dog ownership in Lego City!

I suspect that trash/waste pickup might have been intended as another possible "job" for the municipal service worker besides repairing the lights using the bucket truck (same with the banana which shows up abandoned on the bench on the front of the box, but in a trash can in one of the back-of-box pics). It's also possible that it was included as a humorous reference to the cliche of dogs stopping to "relieve themselves" near fire hydrants. That said, I agree that this is a weird set to put that sort of "story starter" in compared to 60291 (which includes both a dog and its owner) or 60292 (which includes a dog, its owner, AND a sanitation worker).

In any case, I LOVE the sporting goods store and bakery, since those are both types of businesses we don't tend to see quite as often in LEGO City as pizzerias, burger restaurants, or service stations. The designers also did a lovely job making sure their architecture stood out from each other and from all the other sets in this particular wave. The convertible in this set is also nicely designed in a way that both stands out from and also complements other LEGO City vehicles.

It's good to see the glow-in-the-dark streetlights appear in another set besides 60304. Also, after making this post, I realized the out-of-box picture shows a loose 1x2 plate like the ones used as light bulbs on the streetlamps. Perhaps one of the plates included could be a standard white plate to represent a "dead" bulb for the service worker to replace, as opposed to the glow-in-the-dark ones which represent new/working bulbs?

Another thing I'm happy to see is a fire hydrant built using the BB-8 head piece from LEGO Star Wars! I was super impressed with the fire hydrant that was built that way in the Sesame Street set from LEGO Ideas, and after I saw that same dome piece recolored in Bright Red as a mushroom cap in some of next year's LEGO Friends sets, I immediately realized how perfect it would be for LEGO City fire hydrants. So it's great to see that the designers were thinking the same thing long before I was!

I'm even more pleased to see printed bike lane tiles in this set! That's a possibility I've mentioned with the new road system, and it's good to see LEGO already implementing it. I might have preferred if they were four studs wide instead of two so that vehicles like the trike in this set didn't exceed the lane width, but it's still a reasonable width for the use of for the standard bike or mountain bike in the sporting goods store. I suspect a lot of people will also be excited about this set introducing the standard bike in a new color!

Out of curiosity, are outdoor exercise fixtures like the ones on the far left a common feature? I can't say I've ever seen them in any of the (mostly American) cities I've spent a lot of time in.

2 hours ago, The Jersey Brick Guy said:

Don’t like the car transporter at all. The one from a few years ago was so much better. This one is just to boxy for my liking.

That's fair. I definitely like that this one stands out from the style of the 2014 auto transporter, though. The upper and lower trailer beds on this one look a lot more robust than the thin ones in the earlier set, which is fitting since it's designed to carry larger cars. And I like that when the upper deck is lowered, it lines up neatly with the ramp attached to the lower deck.

In any case, it's great that the designer (presumably, Mark Stafford, judging from the stickers) was able to achieve a beefier-looking design like this at the same price point and similar piece count to the 2014 one. Of course, I suppose that was helped by only including one six-wide car for it to carry, instead of two four-wide cars.

Edited by Aanchir

29 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Out of curiosity, are outdoor exercise fixtures like the ones on the far left a common feature? I can't say I've ever seen them in any of the (mostly American) cities I've spent a lot of time in.

My small city has several throughout our bike trail system.  I was so confused about what that part was! thanks for clearing that up!

25 minutes ago, Gobias1234 said:

My small city has several throughout our bike trail system.  I was so confused about what that part was! thanks for clearing that up!

Thank YOU for satisfying my curiosity! I figured they were probably a thing especially in cities with more pedestrian or bike infrastructure than U.S. cities often do, but I didn't have any real-life experience to compare them against. Your comment definitely helps me understand how well this set complements some of the other contents in the set like the bikes and bike lane. And it certainly stands out as yet another feature we haven't seen in Town or City sets up to this point!

That said, I guess your comment also tells me that the design/structure of this sort of fitness equipment varies enough that this structure wasn't instantly recognizable. I probably wouldn't have recognized what it was for myself if it weren't for the back-of-box pics showing a minifigure exercising on it. Of course, I suppose the set description would've also told me that, if I'd had the forethought to read it before commenting. :blush:

Edited by Aanchir

So I was able to get a look at the back of box or the shopping street set. Looks like it will be an immediate buy for me. I think I was a little too critical for that one because I mean...I am a critical person. But after another look at that bike store and repair truck, I want it. I love that car too. I would've done a little more work on that bakery though. The one from 2019 looks better. 

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Thank YOU for satisfying my curiosity! I figured they were probably a thing especially in cities with more pedestrian or bike infrastructure than U.S. cities often do, but I didn't have any real-life experience to compare them against. Your comment definitely helps me understand how well this set complements some of the other contents in the set like the bikes and bike lane. And it certainly stands out as yet another feature we haven't seen in Town or City sets up to this point!

That said, I guess your comment also tells me that the design/structure of this sort of fitness equipment varies enough that this structure wasn't instantly recognizable. I probably wouldn't have recognized what it was for myself if it weren't for the back-of-box pics showing a minifigure exercising on it. Of course, I suppose the set description would've also told me that, if I'd had the forethought to read it before commenting. :blush:

Yes! That is a really interesting point- would be neat to see what these structures look like elsewhere. Our city is relatively small but culturally inclined to biking so our bike infrastructure is quite built up.

Ours are both public art and work out devices- a neat vanity project done by a local firm that specializes in architecturally interesting bridges.  They are a striking red with bold angles. My children adore falling off of them in increasingly scary ways!

These new road plates are likely to become a bike path from City to Green space on our table scape until we build up a supply of them.  I'm so excited for the new year!

I continue to be impressed with next year's City wave - dedicated bike lanes! I support the new road system for that alone! Also always excited to see a new color for the bicycle element.

As far as I know, the name and price of the 60293 to 60303 products were originally scheduled to be released at the Nuremberg International Toy Fair, which was scheduled to be held from January 27 to January 31, 2021.
However, the timing of the Toy Fair has been postponed due to COVID-19, so the name and price of the products are not sure when they will appear.

60305 seems excellent for a city set, but I'm not sure if it appeals to me since I already have a bigger Car Transporter. 60306 is also great, but I'm not a huge fan of the new road plates.

I'm really liking the road network they are developing, I'm just interested to see how they are going to do anything other than a T junction or a Cross Road/Intersection.   I'm struggling to see how they will do a Roundabout or a Curve, without some custom parts?

In terms of the Transporter, The Truck cab looks good, but the trailer has definately been designed to a budget, alway clear when there is a single axle on the trailer.  And then the car......mmmm, looks a bit like one of those cars which can become a boat.

Shops look good, loving the bike shop and the mountain bike mould coming again in another colour.  The bakery is also tidy.  Interesting they are bringing back glow in the dark bricks again.  I guess this is the 1x2 plate which is part of the street light?  The light maintainance van is also nicely designed.  

Whoa!  I really like that car transporter.  Unlike the 2014 one with that weird half truck half trailer set-up this new one looks like a proper cab and trailer set-up.  The function of the ramp is clearly far superior to the previous one too.  The trailer is a bit blocky but that is a fair trade off for the strength and function it contains at this scale.  I also like the color scheme a lot better.  The old one looked too much like it should have been a construction truck.

As for the shops, well pretzel shop for the win.  Has Lego ever made a pretzel shop in town or city?  It is suitably different to the doughnut shops or bakeries we have gotten before.  The sporting goods store is a nice addition we don't see too often either.  I am surprised by the bucket truck.  Usually they make those in construction truck colors but most utilities (electric and phone line) trucks I have seen use white as their primary color.  Normally I see that as a "worthless" inclusion (to me personally but I understand why kids love getting them)  but here I think it is one of the highlights.

It really is impressive how a simple color change can make certain vehicles much more interesting.

Based solely on non-emergency services, this really is shaping up to be one of the best city/town waves in years.

1 hour ago, paul_delahaye said:

I'm really liking the road network they are developing, I'm just interested to see how they are going to do anything other than a T junction or a Cross Road/Intersection.   I'm struggling to see how they will do a Roundabout or a Curve, without some custom parts?

Well, there's no reason to think they wouldn't make a new piece for curved roads. After all, there are three new molds for the roads in just this one wave (the 8x16 road plate, 16x16 road plate, and 8x4 ramp). Presumably, a curved road would only require one additional mold.

As for a roundabout, depending on the turning radius you have in mind, it could be possible using the new road plate molds we've already seen — just add some round plates in the center to create the inside curve, some wedge pieces around the sides to create the outside curve, and some new prints for the road markings. I actually sketched up a traffic circle build already on stud.io, but I'm still in the process of fine-tuning it.

19 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

Well, there's no reason to think they wouldn't make a new piece for curved roads. After all, there are three new molds for the roads in just this one wave (the 8x16 road plate, 16x16 road plate, and 8x4 ramp). Presumably, a curved road would only require one additional mold.

There is a pretty big reason to not have curves, you don't really need them for the purpose of the new road system. To be able to quickly connect roads and buildings to form a street/city.

It's hard to connect a building to curves, building a sidewalk makes problems, it just adds difficulty to an relatively easy system and in reality, curves are rather negligible in a town/city enviroment compared to (t-)crossings and straights.

6 minutes ago, rzmpf said:

There is a pretty big reason to not have curves, you don't really need them for the purpose of the new road system. To be able to quickly connect roads and buildings to form a street/city.

It's hard to connect a building to curves, building a sidewalk makes problems, it just adds difficulty to an relatively easy system and in reality, curves are rather negligible in a town/city enviroment compared to (t-)crossings and straights.

I suppose that's fair! Certainly 90-degree curves like the old curved road baseplates are definitely not an especially common sight in real cities, and additionally those have always been one of the more awkward road baseplate shapes to try and build on.

That said, I fully expect LEGO to use these for more than just ordinary roads, even within the City theme. One particular use that curves would be well-suited to (and arguably even essential for) is racetracks.

It's true that in previous years, motorsports have made up a fairly small part of the City theme, with most race cars, racing bikes, monster trucks, etc. lumped into the "Great Vehicles" subtheme that serves as a catch-all for all the miscellaneous $10 to $30 City vehicle sets that don't belong to other current subthemes. But in 2020, LEGO defied that trend by releasing 60255, 60256, 60257, and 60258 under a new "Turbo Wheels" subtheme. To me, this suggests that LEGO might have bigger plans for the future of these sorts of sets than the more sporadic releases we're used to.

In any case, whether or not curves are really as essential as other road shapes, they're definitely going to remain available as an option if LEGO decides to expand further on this system in the future. And based on my experience with other times that LEGO has introduced new systems of parts, I very strongly doubt that the parts (or uses of those parts) we've seen in this road system so far are the limit of what they have planned.

LEGo-City-60291-Modern-Family-House-2.jpThis set looks so odd IMO

The building is too "thin"

Edited by ks6349

7 hours ago, LCP said:
As far as I know, the name and price of the 60293 to 60303 products were originally scheduled to be released at the Nuremberg International Toy Fair, which was scheduled to be held from January 27 to January 31, 2021.
However, the timing of the Toy Fair has been postponed due to COVID-19, so the name and price of the products are not sure when they will appear.

That's very sad to hear. 60293 to 60303 are going to be interesting I'm sure. We don't usually have long to wait for the summer wave when February or March comes. 

Love that avatar btw. 

If we go back to the classic town days many of the buildings were only 5 stud deep with even less detail.

Lego could have called this new city system Town Plan 2021. Oddly I see if I'm not wrong that only the police and fire sets have named characters from City Adventures.

Footnote - Netflix now streams the series.

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

It's true that in previous years, motorsports have made up a fairly small part of the City theme, with most race cars, racing bikes, monster trucks, etc. lumped into the "Great Vehicles" subtheme that serves as a catch-all for all the miscellaneous $10 to $30 City vehicle sets that don't belong to other current subthemes. But in 2020, LEGO defied that trend by releasing 60255, 60256, 60257, and 60258 under a new "Turbo Wheels" subtheme. To me, this suggests that LEGO might have bigger plans for the future of these sorts of sets than the more sporadic releases we're used to.

Those and the main square set were my top 5 favorite 2020 City sets. I tell you that tuning shop is amazing. Plan to get that one when the price goes down a little. As far as subthemes are concerned, yes those would go under the Turbo Wheels subtheme. Or Lego could be planning to bring back a full out racing subtheme as a follow up to the subtheme from the mid 90s titled "Race". That was my favorite subtheme and it's not like children don't love race cars - or else Speed Champions wouldn't exist. Even though it may not happen, I would like to see what a CITYfied revival of the Res Q theme from 1999 would look like. My guess is that it would probably be based on post natural disaster topics like the aftermath of a hurricane or a flood. 

5 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Oddly I see if I'm not wrong that only the police and fire sets have named characters from City Adventures.

Not only the police and fire sets. But also main square, the tuning workshop and city center. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 hour ago, ks6349 said:

This set looks so odd IMO

The building is too "thin"

Six studs deep has been a pretty common architectural standard in the City theme for over a decade at this point. Some other examples include the buildings in 7641, 7633, 7848, 8403, 3661, 4644, 60003, 60068, 60203, 60216, and 60245. Several of these (especially the earlier examples) even adhere to a modular standard in which individual 6x8 and 6x16 sections can be rearranged, duplicated, or even swapped between different sets.

I think part of the reason LEGO opts for this standard so often is that there's only so much you can do with the floor space closer to the building's open back that won't obstruct kids' ability to see and interact with figures, furniture, or accessories placed closer to the front wall.

It's also sort of the same reason that a lot of buildings in themes like LEGO Friends or LEGO Harry Potter where the ground floor interiors are more than six to eight studs deep don't include full ceilings covering those rooms. It makes it a little easier to see and access the interior of those rooms from above, since it would be harder to see or access the full interior from directly behind.

1 hour ago, lightningtiger said:

Lego could have called this new city system Town Plan 2021. Oddly I see if I'm not wrong that only the police and fire sets have named characters from City Adventures.

There are a few LEGO City Adventures characters in one of the "My City" sets — namely, Madison Yay and Shirley Keeper both appear in 60292 Town Centre.

56 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Those and the main square set were my top 5 favorite 2020 City sets. I tell you that tuning shop is amazing. Plan to get that one when the price goes down a little. As far as subthemes are concerned, yes those would go under the Turbo Wheels subtheme. Or Lego could be planning to bring back a full out racing subtheme as a follow up to the subtheme from the mid 90s titled "Race". That was my favorite subtheme and it's not like children don't love race cars - or else Speed Champions wouldn't exist.

I suspect part of their reason for naming the theme "Turbo Wheels" rather than "Race"/"Racing"/"Racers" is so that it's a little clearer that it also encompasses other sorts of motorsports that are more stunt-oriented and less speed-oriented, like demolition derbies, drift competitions, or freestyle motocross. Plus, at least one of the sets in the Turbo Wheels subtheme (the Octan service centre) isn't overtly racing-related.

Edited by Aanchir

12 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I suspect part of their reason for naming the theme "Turbo Wheels" rather than "Race"/"Racing"/"Racers" is so that it's a little clearer that it also encompasses other sorts of motorsports that are more stunt-oriented and less speed-oriented, like demolition derbies, drift competitions, or freestyle motocross. Plus, at least one of the sets in the Turbo Wheels subtheme (the Octan service centre) isn't overtly racing-related.

That's true! There is also hot rod drags. That's also another motorsport that is covered in the tuning shop. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

59 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Not only the police and fire sets. But also main square, the tuning workshop and city center. 

And the air race, the passenger airplane, the ocean exploration submarine, the ocean exploration ship 

Screenshot from fresh Lego 2021 catalog and one from promo sheets. Hideout where are youuuu???? :( 

44e4981362295711.jpg 

Edited by fo4saken

11 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

And the air race, the passenger airplane, the ocean exploration submarine, the ocean exploration ship 

Yeah

11 minutes ago, fo4saken said:

Screenshot from fresh Lego 2021 catalog and one from promo sheets. Hideout where are youuuu???? :( 

44e4981362295711.jpg 

They already revealed the friends mall set, but nothing about the hideout! 

19 minutes ago, fo4saken said:

44e4981362295711.jpg 

Maybe it will be an Exclusive so we won't see it in the retail catalogue. On the other hand , the Police Boat wasn't in the Swiss Catalogue either so who knows.

Or it was postponed due to Covid or whatever.

Edited by rzmpf