Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

2 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

2 new sets coming in january, 60305 - Car transport $30 and 60306 - Shopping street $80. looks like a new great vehicle and town set. these are both coming in january according to this website (scroll to city) https://jedijacpenguin.com/everythingweknowaboutLEGO2021.htm

About time they did another auto transport. Last time I saw one was in 2017, which was really a police vehicle. 

52 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

2 new sets coming in january, 60305 - Car transport $30 and 60306 - Shopping street $80. looks like a new great vehicle and town set. these are both coming in january according to this website (scroll to city) https://jedijacpenguin.com/everythingweknowaboutLEGO2021.htm

what is lego 60305 and 60306 ?????????????????

8 minutes ago, fo4saken said:

toopizza13 nice find man! Still thinking deeply about crooks hideout...

Thank You! I am too, im starting to think it is delayed until march, no leaks or info, and it is the time when sets are usually revealed on the website. the LEGO friends shopping mall was delayed until march, it could be the same for 60278 crooks hideout.

27 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

what is lego 60305 and 60306 ?????????????????

They are set numbers, lego city is done with 602 and is now onto 603 set numbers. there is still a big gap between 60292 and 60304, im thinking summer sets will fill that up.

@toopizza13 Can't wait to see how those new sets will look. They're releasing a lot of town sets this winter. I think City is trying to be that one theme that grabs the attention of all audiences from the way the new town sets look. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

12 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

here is still a big gap between 60292 and 60304, im thinking summer sets will fill that up.

Yes, in total, are 11 reference numbers between 60292 and 60304, this year we got 11 summer sets(not including the advent calendar) I can't wait to see the images! 

1 hour ago, toopizza13 said:

2 new sets coming in january, 60305 - Car transport $30 and 60306 - Shopping street $80. l

Finally a new car Transporter! I always wanted one but I didn't bought the past sets, and the shopping street seems weird, but I wanted one, some shops instead of different buildings. Can't wait to see those sets too! 

for summer sets im hoping for coast guard and maybe a large town set with the new baseplates, and im hoping for curved road pieces in the future aswell, but that would take some new molds, which lego may not want to do after making all new molds and printed pieces for 2021. if there was another wave of town sets i would hope for some new stuff like maybe a grocery store or maybe even a mall.

Edited by toopizza13

On 11/29/2020 at 11:33 PM, meliander said:

The new road system looks good, but the thing I don't understand is why not make it compatible with baseplates? From what I understand the roads are exactly 2 plates now (instead of 1.5), so you can't connect the roads to simple green/gray baseplates... Also, I only have 4 old road plates, but I can imagine the pain of those people who are in the middle of building a city with the old ones.

For starters, the majority of sets and themes these days don't use baseplates. So it was probably a higher priority for the designers to begin bringing their roads in line with the same standard as the majority of their other sets than to focus on making them "backwards compatible" with a standard which had already been largely abandoned. It's not as though this is the first time that LEGO updated their road standard without regard for "backwards compatibility", after all. The same can be said for the three times that LEGO expanded the standard width of the roads themselves on their road baseplates.

Furthermore, one of the greatest strengths of the new road standard is that it includes connection points on both sides (above and below). This is a huge step forward for being able to elevate or hinge roads while keeping them securely attached to and "in system" with the rest of the model. But this would not be feasible if the new roads were designed with a thickness of 1 1/2 plates. Not only would that not leave any room for connection points underneath the recessed portion of the roadways, but it would make it difficult to neatly connect parts attached underneath the roadways with parts attached over top of them.

The proportions of the new road modules also make it extremely easy to create "custom" road modules using standard plates, tiles, and curved slopes, without having to worry about the limited range of sizes and shapes that traditional baseplates come in.

2 hours ago, Inspecter said:

Shopping street seems like it would be another set with roads. I wonder what the shops will be?

I hope one of them is a grocery store. I made a MOC store front. But I'm trying to see how Lego would do it. 

@Aanchir All your points are valid. But are you saying that baseplates are something that you think they plan to get rid of entirely? I'm talking about those that are sold separately or included in modular buildings and other Creator Expert like sets. I certainly agree that the new system they propose is very functional, but I'm not seeing how to build cities with this system yet.

anyone here is like me? I feel like hard to get someone who also likes City theme.

I mostly buy only City, sometimes modular buildings. I also buy star wars, but only when they look so nice or on real deal, but most of the time I do not avoid City unless they are really not appealing to me.

Anyone same here?

On 12/2/2020 at 12:23 AM, toopizza13 said:

Thank You! I am too, im starting to think it is delayed until march, no leaks or info, and it is the time when sets are usually revealed on the website. the LEGO friends shopping mall was delayed until march, it could be the same for 60278 crooks hideout.

They are set numbers, lego city is done with 602 and is now onto 603 set numbers. there is still a big gap between 60292 and 60304, im thinking summer sets will fill that up.

Is there any leak or estimation about the summer city????

7 hours ago, meliander said:

but I'm not seeing how to build cities with this system yet. 

What's not to see? You put the building next to the road and use a plate to attach. Or you can put them on a plain baseplate and just put the building on the same baseplate next to the road and if the building is on a baseplate already just use tiles and plates to raise the height.

7 hours ago, ks6349 said:

anyone here is like me? I feel like hard to get someone who also likes City theme.

I mostly buy only City, sometimes modular buildings. I also buy star wars, but only when they look so nice or on real deal, but most of the time I do not avoid City unless they are really not appealing to me.

Anyone same here?

Is there any leak or estimation about the summer city????

yeh i buy mostly city and some star wars and minecraft sets. nothing yet about summer, i would say leaks could start in febuary maybe.

15 hours ago, meliander said:

@Aanchir All your points are valid. But are you saying that baseplates are something that you think they plan to get rid of entirely? I'm talking about those that are sold separately or included in modular buildings and other Creator Expert like sets. I certainly agree that the new system they propose is very functional, but I'm not seeing how to build cities with this system yet.

To be honest, I have no idea whether LEGO intends to do away with baseplates at any point. It's entirely possible that they might if, for instance, the thermoforming plates they use to manufacture them finally wear out, or if their ongoing sustainability research ends up concluding that they can't find a sustainable equivalent of the material used for baseplates, or if some other manufacturing-related issue arises that we're not privy to.

At the same time, baseplates only showing up in a handful of sets per year has already been the status quo since around 2012. So for all we know, LEGO might be perfectly fine continuing to use them on a similarly infrequent basis going forward. They certainly haven't shown any urgent desire to do away with baseplates in the few sets and themes which still use them.

As for building cities in this system, it's not really any more difficult than it would've been with baseplates. And in fact, it's totally possible to design a town that adheres to the same sort of 32x32 grid as road base plates would have. It just gives you the additional option of working with smaller grid units, along with other variations on the standard layout.

Funnily enough, when you do a Google search for "how to build a LEGO tabletown", an eleven-year-old Eurobricks topic in the first page of results actually addresses a lot of the same sorts of issues that have come up in discussions fo the new road system:

For starters, the original post raises concerns about the fact that the built-in curbs on road baseplates extend so far beyond the curbs of modular buildings, one of the things I've frequently mentioned as a strength a more customizable road system like this new one might offer over the previous system.

The first reply, by @Ralph_S, goes right ahead and points out how his LUG uses tile-based roads at their events, and how those sorts of roads can still be used together with standard baseplates by resting the baseplates on top of a layer of studs.

The second reply, by @Joebot, mentions how many times LEGO changed the design standards of their road baseplates over the years and the inconvenience that could present even for builders who already had a substantial stockpile of roads.

Another reply mentions how the author started buying road baseplates intending to build a layout around them, but then opted instead for brick-built roads. It mentions many of the strengths brick-built roads could offer beyond the lack of a built-in curb such as customizable road length, lane width, number of lanes, crosswalk placement, road stripes/markings, elevation, and aesthetics.

Needless to say, I wouldn't be surprised if reading Eurobricks topics like this one was part of what convinced me so many years ago that LEGO ought to implement a new road system that would offer many of those same advantages and opportunities, without the intimidating cost and complexity of fully brick-built roads!

I don't see any of the new City sets on the Dutch S@H, but when I just checked out the US S@H, I noticed a new set that I was not aware of yet: 60277 Police Patrol Boat.

11 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

try lego.com, all the new sets are on there exept 60278, 60305, 60306

I already checked the images(on the US site, the Portugal one didn't show those yet) and thankfully we can see more details, sadly nothing about those other sets@toopizza13

Edited by Powered by Bricks

17 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

try lego.com, all the new sets are on there exept 60278, 60305, 60306

S@H = lego.com...

On 11/25/2020 at 3:46 AM, BrickfordCityFire said:

As someone who builds custom LEGO fire apparatus...I concur. LEGO's versions of fire vehicles this time around are just not great at all.

Yeah, agrees ... Kindly of disappointing isn’t it ...

6 hours ago, HanMS85 said:

Yeah, agrees ... Kindly of disappointing isn’t it ...

Very disappointing! But with the amazing slew of civilian sets being released, both the police and fire sets will be pretty easy to ignore this coming year. 

On 12/3/2020 at 5:00 PM, Aanchir said:

Needless to say, I wouldn't be surprised if reading Eurobricks topics like this one was part of what convinced me so many years ago that LEGO ought to implement a new road system that would offer many of those same advantages and opportunities, without the intimidating cost and complexity of fully brick-built roads!

Thank you for such detailed answers. I am much more convinced now that it's a good change. My personal dissatisfaction with road base plates was mainly the fixed width of the roads (it's hard to make 2 lane wide streets like they did in old Lego commercials without physically cutting the plastic) and also I wasn't a big fan of the way they were combined in sets. So from the costs perspective even though $20 is not cheap I guess it's better to have $20 dollars worth of road as opposed to getting another T-section when you just need a straight one. I'm now curious what solution will Lego offer to the curves.