Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

Okay, if there is place for newbies I´m going into it. I was reading this forum a long time and never had feeling that I must react for something. But now it´s time.

I loved to read comments by members about city 2020 sets. Especially summer wave, it was something ... say it - pretty bad. Of course like was said

13 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Well Lego can't please everyone at the same time.

But really it was first wave from 2010 when I did not buy anything. Then someone created this topic about 2021. I was there day by day to see new information and after first leaks I was really excited to see final products.

And now I´m getting into the point. As I saw official photos, I feel that this is right way where Lego City theme should go. For sure. Because - What is the main building in cities? Houses, apartment houses, Block of flats... And we have new one! Secondly, what do people in free time? Some kind of sport - if they have opportunities - And they gave us Skate park! Also people need to move from point to point - and we have pretty decent sports car!

Of course - Firefighter sets disappointing me a lot, I think they are more based on gameplay than reality but other sets I mentioned (+ tractor, buggy trasporter, camper van and prisoner transport) are really impressive. And personally for me it´s finally wave which is focusing on something that we missed and I really hope that future sets will continue in this style.

P.S. Sorry for my english, but I hope you get the point what I wanted to say. :classic:

23 minutes ago, Vlado_sk said:

And now I´m getting into the point. As I saw official photos, I feel that this is right way where Lego City theme should go. For sure. Because - What is the main building in cities? Houses, apartment houses, Block of flats... And we have new one! Secondly, what do people in free time? Some kind of sport - if they have opportunities - And they gave us Skate park! Also people need to move from point to point - and we have pretty decent sports car!

Ikr! Of course they did fire and police sets because they sell well and they are also vital city services in real life. But this years rather small City police and fire waves seems like it is actually forwarding the plot (and extending on last year's wave) and is done in a tasteful manner rather than causing the plot to stop like many of the other police waves. Due to the winter wave, I see hope for the future of City. 2021 was just what we needed to show us that the City theme was officially I good hands again. For this years winter wave, everything takes place in the city and is pertaining to city life as it should be rather than the theme being used to oversaturate action outside of the city. Or in case of the camper and tractor....on the outskirts right outside the city. 

My only disappointments with this wave is that I was kinda hoping that 60276 would be a prison bus. But the van is nice too. I was also kinda hoping that they'd add a city bus to the Great Vehicles line. I could get a load of those and form a real bus service in my town. But given how much this winter 2021 wave has impressed me.....I don't think I'd doubt something like that coming soon. 

12 hours ago, StJimmy90 said:

After ten years of reading this forum, and ten years since I came out of my "dark age", I decided to write my first post here because i can't belive how awful lego sets are in last two years. To the point I didn't buy a single one in last two years.
Compared to early '10s, this is just awful.
First, they destroyed my favourite line, creator, by ditching biger, fully enclosed houses and buildings in favour of small, simplified openback buildings, constructed with big pieces.
Now they completely <insert that tiresome argument>; City sets. Entire fire line is <insert that tiresome argument>;. There is not single real fire vehicle in this entire line.

Well, as far as Creator sets go, you're in luck! This year's 3-in-1 Surfer Beach House is enclosed on all sides, and the only "big pieces" I see in any of the pictures are floors, windows, and doors, same as in older Creator houses. Nothing simplified about it at all, from what I can see.

I'm no expert on firefighting equipment, but what bothers you about the vehicles in 60281 and 60282? 60281 has the preformed nose piece, but that's no worse than we're used to seeing with City helicopters. The rest of the fuselage is brick-built, and the tail does some lovely stuff with curved slopes to create continuous shaping. As for 60282, it feels pretty believable to me, what with the rugged American-style cab, stylish high-visibility stripes along the line of the wheel arches, and a solid-looking boom for the "cherry picker" style bucket.

60280 is definitely very simplistic and cartoonish, but that's to be expected from a 4+ set. These sorts of sets are aimed at the same "post-Duplo" audience as themes like Fabuland or Jack Stone, so it's not realistic to hold it to the same standard as "normal" City sets. And even within that category, this one seems like a huge step up in authenticity from 4+ fire trucks in previous sets like 60212, 10740, and 10685.

9 hours ago, wollolo said:

The fire sets are really most disappointing. For so many years I'm just waiting for one decent, standard fire engine and LEGO really manages to release not even a single fire engine that comes close to a real vehicle. 

Besides 60282 which I mentioned above, the hook and ladder truck in 60216 looks pretty realistic to me (aside from the oversized deluge gun, which is easily removed without harming the rest of the design). Same with the fire utility truck in 60215. Likewise, 60231 seems like a big improvement on most firefighting vehicles from the early days of LEGO City, let alone the sort of LEGO Town firefighting sets I grew up with in the 90s like 6525 or 6340!

From my experience, every era of LEGO Town/City has had its share of stinkers. Even so, I feel like in recent years I feel like there have been more than enough high-quality designs to balance them out.

10 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I'm no expert on firefighting equipment, but what bothers you about the vehicles in 60281 and 60282? 60281 has the preformed nose piece, but that's no worse than we're used to seeing with City helicopters. The rest of the fuselage is brick-built, and the tail does some lovely stuff with curved slopes to create continuous shaping. As for 60282, it feels pretty believable to me, what with the rugged American-style cab, stylish high-visibility stripes along the line of the wheel arches, and a solid-looking boom for the "cherry picker" style bucket.

As firefighter I can tell you immediately that those vehicels don't exist. Firefighting helicopters exist but they don't shoot water from cannons, but rather carry a bucket on a long line. They collect water from rivers or sea and then fly over the fire and release the water. Lego had only one set of that type. All others are unrealistic rubbish.
When it comes to a tractor drawn aerial, it doesn't exist in that form but rather like the ones in sets 60216 and 60112 which are also unrealistic because ladder should hinge in the front part of trailer, not back. Back of a trailer is reserved for cabin that accommodates driver that steers the rear wheels on a trailer.
When I was a kid, I used to watch planes, ships and trucks and then replicate them with my lego bricks. This just teaches kids wrong things.

12 minutes ago, StJimmy90 said:

As firefighter I can tell you immediately that those vehicels don't exist. Firefighting helicopters exist but they don't shoot water from cannons, but rather carry a bucket on a long line. They collect water from rivers or sea and then fly over the fire and release the water. Lego had only one set of that type. All others are unrealistic rubbish.
When it comes to a tractor drawn aerial, it doesn't exist in that form but rather like the ones in sets 60216 and 60112 which are also unrealistic because ladder should hinge in the front part of trailer, not back. Back of a trailer is reserved for cabin that accommodates driver that steers the rear wheels on a trailer.
When I was a kid, I used to watch planes, ships and trucks and then replicate them with my lego bricks. This just teaches kids wrong things.

There you go, Lego! This is a quote from an actual firefighter. Looks like some improvement is needed. Better luck thus summer or next year. 

So of all the fire waves from Lego City, which one do you think is the most realistic? 

Edited by Brandon Pea

10 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Besides 60282 which I mentioned above, the hook and ladder truck in 60216 looks pretty realistic to me (aside from the oversized deluge gun, which is easily removed without harming the rest of the design). Same with the fire utility truck in 60215. Likewise, 60231 seems like a big improvement on most firefighting vehicles from the early days of LEGO City, let alone the sort of LEGO Town firefighting sets I grew up with in the 90s like 6525 or 6340!

Like I said in previous reply, 60216 has wrong ladder placement and doesn't have rear axle steering wheel which is ironic because the other set that you mentioned, 6340 has everything correct. Just look closer. Of course, it's all lego and you can simply swap couple of parts,  add a little more and you are good to go.
As for 60231, it's great. Problem is, it's bigger than most of my fire engines.

9 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

There you go, Lego! This is a quote from an actual firefighter. Looks like some improvement is needed. Better luck thus summer or next year. 

So of all the fire waves from Lego City, which one do you think is the most realistic? 

I live near a fire station and their fire trucks aren't nothing like the Lego sets, but in my town's fire station the trucks don't have a ladder because in my town we have a lot of forests (they look like the truck of set 60023) , but in bigger towns we have fire trucks with ladders, the city set who mostly looks like my country's fire trucks in bigger towns is the one that comes on the 2007 fire station set, and like @StJimmy90 said, the fire fighting helicopters carry a bucket to pick water, I know this because a few years ago there was a big fire here in Portugal and all the news channels showed the fire vehicles fighting the fire so I know how the fire vehicles look like. 

7 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

With lego fire sets, it's always mix and match of realistic stuff and unrealistic stuff. Fire trucks, or how we call them in my country aerial platforms, from sets 7945 and 60110 are 100 percent accurate. Problem is with this standalone trucks. They are always mix of a couple of different fire trucks or have unrealistic features. To this day, we haven't got a single 100 percent accurate engine truck. European styled or american.
But the biggest issue is how empty firestations are. It's like they never seen how firestation looks inside and what to put inside. I was always jealous how police stations look better then firestations.

2 minutes ago, StJimmy90 said:

I was always jealous how police stations look better then firestations.

Lego give more details to the police stations

I already have a lot of police stations and I want a great fire station, let's see how the next fire station will be, Lego does a 3-year cycle of normal fire waves the next will come in 2022! 

Edited by Powered by Bricks

23 minutes ago, Powered by Bricks said:

Lego give more details to the police stations

Lego designers are completely unaware of the fact that firetowers in firestations served two purposes. In the age before telephones, they were lookout towers. Highest building in town and served as early warning system.
Nowdays they serve the other purpose that they kept from past. A training facility for aerial firefighting, aerial rescue. Extraction and self extraction using ropes or ladders and so on and so on. Possibilities for play are unlimited.
Best they can do is to put unrealistic yellow pole outside of station.

Edited by StJimmy90

58 minutes ago, StJimmy90 said:

Lego designers are completely unaware of the fact that firetowers in firestations served two purposes. In the age before telephones, they were lookout towers. Highest building in town and served as early warning system.
Nowdays they serve the other purpose that they kept from past. A training facility for aerial firefighting, aerial rescue. Extraction and self extraction using ropes or ladders and so on and so on. Possibilities for play are unlimited.

i dont agree with this whole lego city should be realistic, because its for kids around the age of 5 to 7. these are just toys, the models for adults are more realistic.

1 hour ago, StJimmy90 said:

I have to agree. As a person who lives near a bunch of fire stations, I can say for a fact that the only fire station that has come close was the one from 2013. As far as police stations go, the 2014 is the most realistic. 

2 hours ago, StJimmy90 said:

With lego fire sets, it's always mix and match of realistic stuff and unrealistic stuff. Fire trucks, or how we call them in my country aerial platforms, from sets 7945 and 60110 are 100 percent accurate. Problem is with this standalone trucks. They are always mix of a couple of different fire trucks or have unrealistic features. To this day, we haven't got a single 100 percent accurate engine truck. European styled or american.
But the biggest issue is how empty firestations are. It's like they never seen how firestation looks inside and what to put inside. I was always jealous how police stations look better then firestations.

That's understandable. It's a mix between waves. 

4 hours ago, StJimmy90 said:

Lego, would you take note from a firefighter?! I feel like these fire helicopters and fire vehicles are completely made up by designers than focusing on actual vehicles. Definitley need improvement for firefighting sets...

By the way, @StJimmy90 - welcome to Eurobricks! :) 

I have got most of the City sets released in recent years. The only regret is that I did not get the city hospital 60204 when it was on sale here, the best price I saw was $60

8 hours ago, StJimmy90 said:

As someone who builds custom LEGO fire apparatus...I concur. LEGO's versions of fire vehicles this time around are just not great at all.

The fact is, kids like toys that involve things that shoot (such as the canons on the fire helicopter, the stud shooter in the fire hazard truck and the canon-on-wheels in the fire truck set). So LEGO will make toys that involve things that shoot.

16 hours ago, jonwil said:

The fact is, kids like toys that involve things that shoot (such as the canons on the fire helicopter, the stud shooter in the fire hazard truck and the canon-on-wheels in the fire truck set). So LEGO will make toys that involve things that shoot.

In my personal opinion, shooting things should be regulated to themes that involve battling like Ninjago or Star Wars - which obviously sells just as well as City. I guess there is a good reason why City does it though. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

I know police boats have always been on the simpler side, but I'm really not seeing a lot of differences here. Might be time to party like it's 1999.

unknown.png

On 11/23/2020 at 9:24 AM, Brandon Pea said:

Well Lego can't please everyone at the same time.

.....and don't forget, this is City we are talking about. This is a theme that isn't for us AFOLs. Don't expect anything grand. But if they do bring something grand, feel free to be excited. 

And without fail, someone has to post saying Lego City is for kids like it's some big unknown mystery.

8 hours ago, Yeow said:

And without fail, someone has to post saying Lego City is for kids like it's some big unknown mystery.

Well......what else is there? I mean, we don't know the real reason why they do what they do with their City theme. We can only assume its sales data or age due to the 5+ sign on the box and them promoting certain jobs in the theme so often. Unless we work at Lego, we can't really state facts about why they do what they do. But we can comprehend. 

my brother works at LEGO. i have asked him why city is the way it is and he says that they sell extremely well. so dont expect city to change soon because they make it for kids, it is NOT designed or marketed towards AFOL's. they design it for kids because they know from years of sales that kids like catching crooks and putting out fires. this new roadplate system is a new idea that they are trying.

@toopizza13 Sorry dude! But given that this is the internet and people could say anything, I don't really believe that you or anyone on here is close to Lego. I wouldn't even expect you to believe me if I were to say that. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

As for buildings, I agree Creator 3-in-1 mostly have been a bit more complex buildings for years now, but also come at a slightly higher age target group based on the box number, City is mostly 5+/6+ , Friends is mostly 6+ , Creator generally 8+ on most buildings.

I'm just glad City actually does offer a range of building/locations now, since the retirement of their People Packs (I'll take it back if we see one in 2021), some themed locations like the Skate Park are nice.

That said, I do hope Creator 3-in-1 will still offer a Villa/Family House type set in the near future, but  Friends 41449 Andrea’s Family House does look quite nice at first look as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 hours ago, Yeow said:

Well, people here complaining like it is an unknown mystery. You all know its aimed at kids, yet you all complaining like its designed for adults, with adult tiered complaints because they're not scaled well or the designs are looking more simple. If you expect better detail, moc your own ffs. City always will be aimed at kids, and thus adult tiered complaints are absolutely and entirely irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

Well, people here complaining like it is an unknown mystery. You all know its aimed at kids, yet you all complaining like its designed for adults, with adult tiered complaints because they're not scaled well or the designs are looking more simple. If you expect better detail, moc your own ffs. City always will be aimed at kids, and thus adult tiered complaints are absolutely and entirely irrelevant.

No need for the swearing. But I do see your frustration. 

Though I do have to admit...that car wash with the City Center was actually pretty good. Looks like the car washes you'd see at an American petrol station. I'll also have those people know that the tuning shop (for a City set) was a little too precise - which I actually love about it. My only issue would be the price. $100 USD is too much. I'm trying to find a good deal on one. Other sets like the 2020 petrol station are pretty easy to mod. 

Otherwise, I usually go for older versions of buildings and MOC other buildings. So because I do both of those things, I couldn't care less of Lego City made their buildings worse and worse. But in 2021, there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel. I actually plan to buy that skate park and the new city center. The apartment building too. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

There isn't swearing, it's an initialism. Use whatever words please you. 

I'm wondering if TLG are starting to dial back details in multiple themes, as they seem to have done with the new xwing/tie fighter/shuttle, and now city too...?