Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

@Aanchir I'd consider this a step up as far as City winter waves are concerned. 

1. We're getting town sets early along with some misc vehicles. All of which are pretty awesome. 

2. The police and sets don't forced.

3. The pricing is much better and more reasonable. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

17 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Shame we’re basically back to not having doors on vehicles again, though.

It seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle, like it did this year. The main vehicles in 60276, 60282, and 60283 all have doors, as does the compact car in 60292.

5 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Yes, the new road plate is very appealing. I have been resisting myself from getting a piece of old road plate but at the start of 2021, I will get a lot of it... (the new road plates)

Great to see that Lego starts to bring back road plates for their sets, I have skipped many City sets with buildings because they contain no base plate.

I'm often pretty indifferent to whether a set has baseplates or not, but I definitely think it'll be cool to see roads appearing in more sets rather than only available separately. And honestly, I think it'll be much easier for LEGO to put these new road plates in sets than it was even with the traditional road plates, since these parts can fit inside smaller boxes.

The modular design also introduces the possibility of sets including unique custom-built road segments that can be linked together with the standard ones… for example, I could imagine a future construction set using a standard 8x16 plate plus various tiles, slopes, and/or wedge plates to represent a damaged segment of road (e.g. a pothole or sinkhole).

Oh, by the way, something I didn't mention that I really love… the new intersection set using glow-in-the-dark plates and printed tiles to construct "working" solar-powered streetlamps!!! It's so brilliant and I can't believe that possibility had never occurred to me!

Edited by Aanchir

27 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

It seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle, like it did this year. The main vehicles in 60276, 60282, and 60283 all have doors, as does the compact car in 60292.

I'm often pretty indifferent to whether a set has baseplates or not, but I definitely think it'll be cool to see roads appearing in more sets rather than only available separately. And honestly, I think it'll be much easier for LEGO to put these new road plates in sets than it was even with the traditional road plates, since these parts can fit inside smaller boxes.

The modular design also introduces the possibility of sets including unique custom-built road segments that can be linked together with the standard ones… for example, I could imagine a future construction set using a standard 8x16 plate plus various tiles, slopes, and/or wedge plates to represent a damaged segment of road (e.g. a pothole or sinkhole).

Oh, by the way, something I didn't mention that I really love… the new intersection set using glow-in-the-dark plates and printed tiles to construct "working" solar-powered streetlamps!!! It's so brilliant and I can't believe that possibility had never occurred to me!

the new intersection set using glow-in-the-dark plates ??? Which set? 

1 hour ago, ks6349 said:

the new intersection set using glow-in-the-dark plates ??? Which set? 

60304! The 1x2 plates used as the bulbs on the streetlamps (which have usually been Transparent Yellow in previous sets) are Glow White instead.

Road-Plates-60304.jpg

7 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

In the pictures I do not like the look of the new road plates. The problem is that they have no texture, which makes the connector plates stand out. For AFOLs, using small tiles will still be the way to go.

I don't think a whole lot of AFOLs tend to use tile-based roads at all, because of the seams you mention. Those who do choose to go "fully custom" tend to opt for sideways stacks of bricks and plates, since the seams between those parts are subtler (although roads built this way end up thicker and more parts-intensive than most alternatives).

But I think this "middle ground" between fully custom roads and prefabricated baseplates will end up benefiting not only AFOLs, but also kids. Roads like this offer a lot of "mix-and-match" potential, especially since they can easily link up with the buildings and scenery in other modern sets. They also make it easy to build ramps and other features that can make playtime more exciting than a completely flat road layout. The main thing it's missing at this point is a curved road, but it would be very easy to expand it to include one.

7 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

The small 4-wide cars are bad. Even children will notice that they don't fit their 6-wide cars.

I feel like 4-wide cars still have their uses, particularly for smaller vehicle classes. Maybe it's a little old-fashioned of me, but I feel like in the City theme, 6-wide vehicles are more suited to uses like large family cars, full-size cars, SUVs, and many types of truck/lorry. For example, I would generally opt for 6 studs wide (7 if you count wheel arches) for City-scaled equivalents of cars like the Ford Expedition, Dodge Charger, or Chevrolet Impala. But for cars like a Mini Cooper, Smart Fortwo, Citroën 2CV, or Fiat 500, I'd probably stick with a 4 stud wide chassis.

Obviously, other themes like Speed Champions and Creator 3-in-1 often tend towards more realistically proportioned cars (often 8 studs wide or wider), while more fantasy-heavy themes like Ninjago, Agents, and Super Heroes tend to exaggerate vehicle sizes much further so there is room for more detail and play features. But contrary to a lot of worries I remember seeing many years ago about the scale of LEGO vehicles expanding out of control, I feel like the range of vehicle sizes within the City theme itself has remained remarkably stable.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

60304! The 1x2 plates used as the bulbs on the streetlamps (which have usually been Transparent Yellow in previous sets) are Glow White instead.

Road-Plates-60304.jpg

I don't think a whole lot of AFOLs tend to use tile-based roads at all, because of the seams you mention. Those who do choose to go "fully custom" tend to opt for sideways stacks of bricks and plates, since the seams between those parts are subtler (although roads built this way end up thicker and more parts-intensive than most alternatives).

But I think this "middle ground" between fully custom roads and prefabricated baseplates will end up benefiting not only AFOLs, but also kids. Roads like this offer a lot of "mix-and-match" potential, especially since they can easily link up with the buildings and scenery in other modern sets. They also make it easy to build ramps and other features that can make playtime more exciting than a completely flat road layout. The main thing it's missing at this point is a curved road, but it would be very easy to expand it to include one.

I feel like 4-wide cars still have their uses, particularly for smaller vehicle classes. Maybe it's a little old-fashioned of me, but I feel like in the City theme, 6-wide vehicles are more suited to uses like large family cars, full-size cars, SUVs, and many types of truck/lorry. For example, I would generally opt for 6 studs wide (7 if you count wheel arches) for City-scaled equivalents of cars like the Ford Expedition, Dodge Charger, or Chevrolet Impala. But for cars like a Mini Cooper, Smart Fortwo, Citroën 2CV, or Fiat 500, I'd probably stick with a 4 stud wide chassis.

Obviously, other themes like Speed Champions and Creator 3-in-1 often tend towards more realistically proportioned cars (often 8 studs wide or wider), while more fantasy-heavy themes like Ninjago, Agents, and Super Heroes tend to exaggerate vehicle sizes much further so there is room for more detail and play features. But contrary to a lot of worries I remember seeing many years ago about the scale of LEGO vehicles expanding out of control, I feel like the range of vehicle sizes within the City theme itself has remained remarkably stable.

Wow! That's so great ! I didn't notice that ! thanks for the info

44 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Has anyone noticed in the road plate set that the traffic light arrangement is very odd ?

Well to make any sense there would have to be 3 traffic lights instead of only 2 so that already messes the whole thing up.

They just put everything on for a nice photo.

P.S. The 50kph limit also does not make sense if we are in a town. For example, a no parking sign would have made way more sense for a city set

35 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Has anyone noticed in the road plate set that the traffic light arrangement is very odd ?

I think it needs more traffic lights - or a decision on what side the minifigures drive on. Personally I've always assumed that Legoland was in Continental Europe, and they drive on the right. 

As for the vehicles, 6-wides are good as display models in their own right, but 4-wides tend to fit better with buildings and roads, which is what we are suddenly getting more of next year ?! I admit I like the 'electrified' 1987-design small car in the town centre, with a driver old enough to have driven the original!

If you look at the buses LEGO have done in the City line, their doors are on the left as viewed from the front of the vehicle. So that would fit with the vehicles being from a country where they drive on the right.

the police boat 60277 was leaked. its a big blue boat (looks like a new hull piece) with a criminal submarine and police water scooter. overall this looks like a decent set.

126623015_432045191294153_3289108289318252351_n.jpg

16 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

the police boat 60277 was leaked. its a big blue boat (looks like a new hull piece) with a criminal submarine and police water scooter. overall this looks like a decent set.

I LOVE that we now have ?police!

27 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

It's certainly a new color, and based on the size , it's the second ever use of the 2016 Prison Island Boat hull.

I just hope the €30 price is correct, would be a great set for that price imo.

2 hours ago, Bornin1980something said:

I think it needs more traffic lights

Xtra had Traffic Lights from 2018-2020 (retired in Europe), wouldn't surprise me to see a new version release like Xtra plants got a second version as well.

Also Xtra Traffic Signs  would make sense , would also be nice if it included more of those glow in the dark street lights.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

It's certainly a new color, and based on the size , it's the second ever use of the 2016 Prison Island Boat hull.

I just hope the €30 price is correct, would be a great set for that price imo.

At first I thought it was way shorter than the 2016 hull but it's just the way the superstructure is built that makes it look shorter. 30€ for 5 minifigs+shark and a nice boat plus the little submarine would be an awsome price, especially if gets discounted by retailers, it would come in at 22-24€. The 2016 boat went for 40€ so I would have thought the new one would come in at at least 50€.

Edited by rzmpf

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Also Xtra Traffic Signs  would make sense

I hope this happens. Either that or a remake of 6427 with hopefully updated prints for ones that need it. I just really want a new Road Signs set with the return of old ones updated versions of even older ones and of course new ones.

3 hours ago, toopizza13 said:

126623015_432045191294153_3289108289318252351_n.jpg

when was it first leaked? or announced? I didn't see this set announced

My complaint about the new City sets is that they are trying to make the buildings e.g. 60291 and the 60292 thinner and thinner, I think the reason behind is that they want people to buy more of the same sets to make MOC

Oi. That looks straight out of 1999.

Edited by icm

Oh, there are some nice sets to come. That house is a pleasant surprise.

And although I probably have to get used to the new road plates it is good to see they are included in the sets as well. That hasn't been done in a long time...

11 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

:laugh: Odd indeed. Recipe for crashes I guess.

After ten years of reading this forum, and ten years since I came out of my "dark age", I decided to write my first post here because i can't belive how awful lego sets are in last two years. To the point I didn't buy a single one in last two years.
Compared to early '10s, this is just awful.
First, they destroyed my favourite line, creator, by ditching biger, fully enclosed houses and buildings in favour of small, simplified openback buildings, constructed with big pieces.
Now they completely <insert that tiresome argument>; City sets. Entire fire line is <insert that tiresome argument>;. There is not single real fire vehicle in this entire line. 
The new road system is just raising the price of sets and is taking away the piece count from buildings.
Since my city layout is not built with modular buildings but only creator and city buildings, this is the last nail in coffin of my city. 
This is late '90s all over again.

Edited by StJimmy90

another long term lurker here, just registered to say that I have to fully agree to the long time lurker above. ;)

The new City sets are really horrible imo, like in the last years. Nothing cool, nothing new, nothing "real" looking. The same over and over again.

The fire sets are really most disappointing. For so many years I'm just waiting for one decent, standard fire engine and LEGO really manages to release not even a single fire engine that comes close to a real vehicle.

I find the rest also just super-bad and many sets just feel like an excuse to add the new road plates.

Edited by wollolo

Well Lego can't please everyone at the same time.

.....and don't forget, this is City we are talking about. This is a theme that isn't for us AFOLs. Don't expect anything grand. But if they do bring something grand, feel free to be excited. 

3 hours ago, StJimmy90 said:

This is late '90s all over again.

You know... I agree. I got that feeling as well

The glass panels make the buildings look like aquariums