Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

Great sets for sure, actual return to a real City layout, and the new roads look good.

Even the Townhouse is nicer then expected, thought it was less deep initially.

Love the colors, plants, and what looks like Labrador dogs in brown and tan.

Scale wise, the streets and buildings fit perfectly with 3-in-1 scale buildings.

Interesting choice for a Dojo on the second floor of the Pizzeria, but perfect for kids for bring Ninjago characters to a City.

Edited by TeriXeri

Looks to me we're getting a printed version of the pedestrian crossing sign from 8401 hopefully a revival of set #6427 will happen. All in all I like these new sets and the new road system and like I said before I do hope they do curved variants of these new roads as well as ones with tram tracks either molded in or having connections for old 12V era type tracks, with new curved tracks to go with the straight ones that already exist. Also the new Labrador molds better mean we'll finally get proper Dalmatians, not to keen on German Shepards being painted to look like Dalmatians.

Seems like they want to be attractive towards kids again and they may achieve that. Sets look way simpler, especially the fire and police sets. The mobile fire command is basically a new 60216 without helicopter, crane and building but way more affordable at half the price. Guess they already abandoned the shitty "water" pump. Unfortunately the simpler design means it's uninteresting to me.

The new road system fits the new simpler approach, you can quickly attach and detach buildings and other stuff, so it's easier to rearrange your city and to put it away when play time is over. So I doubt they would bring in new molds for tram/train tracks, the road is expensive and complex enough for kids. Maybe when the concept is proven and sells like crazy.

I like some of the Great Vehicles, the sportscar is really nice, as is the tractor and the camper. The My City stuff (they don't advertise them as such on the pictures of the boxes) .....I don't know. Some stuff is nice, some isn't.

Shame there is no picture of the hideout, that's the most interesting set in this wave judging from the leaked pictures.

Edited by rzmpf

13 minutes ago, rzmpf said:

Shame there is no picture of the hideout, that's the most interesting set in this wave judging from the leaked pictures.

Yep, I want to see the images of the police boat, both still for revealing 

18 minutes ago, rzmpf said:

So I doubt they would bring in new molds for tram/train tracks, the road is expensive and complex enough for kids.

Don't deny the tram tracks buddy. Especially when another city square/public transport set with a tram might be in the pipeline and might make use of said road plates with new embedded tram features.

Edited by Inspecter

I'm not generally into City, but - wow. This is a really solid lineup. Probably will get the skatepark (I still prefer the Friends one from a few years back, but this can add onto it nicely), and maybe the Modern Family House (or at the very least get the new dog from B&P). And glow-in-the-dark 1x2 plates! I'll be loading up on those.

I'm on the fence everyone, some sets look great like the skate park, some sets are awesome like the tractor but then some sets are totally a huge pile of MegaBloks like the like 4 wide firedozer thingy.

1 hour ago, rzmpf said:

The new road system fits the new simpler approach, you can quickly attach and detach buildings and other stuff, so it's easier to rearrange your city and to put it away when play time is over. So I doubt they would bring in new molds for tram/train tracks, the road is expensive and complex enough for kids. Maybe when the concept is proven and sells like crazy.

Would they even need "new molds" for embedded tram rails? It seems like if anything, these new roads might make it easier to embed classic train track elements—just attach the new road sections to train tracks with tiles. The only thing you'd need new molds for is curves—but then, that's something they haven't got for the regular roads yet either. Like you say, if these catch on I expect the concept to be expanded significantly going forward.

I especially like the "inclusivity" features of some of these sets, like the sports wheelchair in the skatepark and the guide dog in the city center. Not only are these great in terms of disability representation, but they're both great showcases of some of the features of these new road plates—the wheelchair since it can roll smoothly on the surface and the guide dog since it provides a pretty clear play scenario with the crosswalk.

Most sets are without charm, the vehicles/buildings are oddly proportioned and became suddenly really blocky. I don't get it, just a few years back City was much, much better. Only minor details like the guide dog or the kid in the wheelchair have a nice touch. Hopefully the summer wave will include some unexpected gems...

I can't help but be annoyed at the massive tires they insist on using for the fire 18 wheeler and the prisoner transport. They look awful and I'm sure they will cause the prices of the sets to rise as well. The town center and the modern house seem great in theory, but I can't help but think they needed an extra $10 to fill them out a bit more. They just seem a bit hollow out of the box to me, but I suspect that the roads take up a lot of parts budget.

Right now the only must buy sets for me out of this wave are the camper and the tractor, which as a big city fan, is pretty disappointing. Maybe Town Centre as well once Amazon uh, adjusts the price a bit.

15 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

Did anyone notice the new cool looking fire helmets ?

Yeah but unfortunately the sets are not that great (at least for me). Maybe the command truck but not as a fire truck but a big semi-trailer-truck, if I can get it for at least 35€ instead of 50€. The helicopter can fit a stretcher in the back, I would have liked more focus on that than the big water rockets. Also doesn't contain a new helmet. The two smaller sets are too simple, the ladder truck is 4+ so that's ok but the hazard truck is just fugly.

The only sets I'm skipping are the police and fire sets. Everything else is a must buy for me. I'm actually starting to like that new road system. As stated above, I can now fuse rails with it easily to make a tram line. 

Hi guys. I was waiting for the 60278 Crooks Hideout but no news about it. Pretty sad. I hope they will reveal it anyway soon.

I feel like the buildings look really simple

But the minfigures are excellent!

These will be out next Jan 1st, right?

Edited by Robert8

There are some really fun looking sets to play with in this LEGO City 2021 wave! The color scheme of the LEGO sets is great too!

Some designing really dissapoints me! The cars in the fire and police sets and in the sets with the new road plates are really awful! :sick: There isn't even tried to make them look nice. I could expect those looks for a 4+ sets, but the more complex and incomparable better looking camper van, tractor and sports car are aimed at the same age group! Not only as an AFOL but even more as a parent this really bothers me!

I'm curious how reasonable priced the sets with the new road plate system will be, considering the high part count that goes up in the roads, that even aren't that essential in enjoying LEGO city sets.

I'm really excited for the new dogs :excited: and I think it's nice they included a visually impaired minifigure and a sports wheelchair!

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Would they even need "new molds" for embedded tram rails? It seems like if anything, these new roads might make it easier to embed classic train track elements—just attach the new road sections to train tracks with tiles. The only thing you'd need new molds for is curves—but then, that's something they haven't got for the regular roads yet either. Like you say, if these catch on I expect the concept to be expanded significantly going forward.

I especially like the "inclusivity" features of some of these sets, like the sports wheelchair in the skatepark and the guide dog in the city center. Not only are these great in terms of disability representation, but they're both great showcases of some of the features of these new road plates—the wheelchair since it can roll smoothly on the surface and the guide dog since it provides a pretty clear play scenario with the crosswalk.

You don’t even need tiles to attach train tracks to the new roads. The roads are two plates thick, and there’s a height difference of two plates between a track’s sleepers and the top of the rails. All you’d need to do is attach the roads directly to the edges of the tracks and then support them on the other side with some plates underneath. I’m definitely doing that when I get these roads. 

Any word on when we’ll see the Crook’s Hideout? That’s the one I’m most interested in based on the catalogue we saw last month; it looked like an admittedly simple and blocky but spacious building that could be repurposed for any number of things. 

Maybe the hideout will be an exclusive/D2C, which would make sense of the fact that it wasn't in the catalogue (except for the small pic with all the other sets) and isn't on the distributor's website.

Also waiting for the 3-in-1 surfer-beachhouse 31118 in comparison to the same priced family home.

Edited by rzmpf

2 hours ago, thekeeperofthereaper said:

i dont see myself buying any of them honestly

i would like to see the back of the modern family house though

I am thinking exactly the same as you!

Horrible sets in 2021! What's wrong with Lego City since 2010?

The Fire series looks absolutely horrible.

The camp van is exactly similar as few years ago....

The City Centre.. never looks like a Centre in any city....

and the new road system.. just horrible!

I would like to see the interior design of the modern family house to comment this set.. Because it's really hard to say from the front view.