Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

50 minutes ago, Rick said:

Looks like you either put the Modulars on another baseplate (2 stacked baseplates = 1 plate), add something else underneath to increase the height to align with this road system or replace the baseplates by four 16 x 16 plates.

Yep! And truth be told, some of the solutions are so simple they'd barely even qualify as modding. For instance, one solution that occurred to me yesterday is just scattering some 2x2 plates in between the roadways and setting the modular building bases down on top of them, like so:

99007886_ModularDemo.jpg.985769997b113d50e61d836a5ffd6956.jpg

As long as they're distributed evenly enough to support the building's weight, this solution ought to be pretty reliable! And it's certainly less time-consuming than widening the curb or realigning the entire modular building sets so they'll line up flush with the road…

7 hours ago, Kallego said:

I like the new system. It's easy to mod to fit baseplate. Just put it on 16*16 or 16*32 baseplates instead of normal plates. And now it fits the modulars better then road baseplates, because there is no gap to be tiled...in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Looks like you either put the Modulars on another baseplate (2 stacked baseplates = 1 plate), add something else underneath to increase the height to align with this road system or replace the baseplates by four 16 x 16 plates.

This is money wasted though. I’d have to buy a lot of baseplates to replace the 17 road plates I currently use. Or I’d have to buy a bunch of plates to shift all of my Modulars to(which means I would need 4 plates for each of my 15(and an extra two for the extended AS) Modulars plus the next one. I’d rather spend that money on sets instead. 

And yes, I know this complaints are a bit of a moot point because I can still buy the road plates thanks to eBay, Bricklink & the like...:look:

Seeing the leaked images, I am very happy that I just purchased another 40 of the straight/t-intersection road plate packs. I appreciate them trying something new, but these are just not my cup of tea. 

I might have to buy more just to be safe. 

10 hours ago, Vindicare said:

This is money wasted though. I’d have to buy a lot of baseplates to replace the 17 road plates I currently use. Or I’d have to buy a bunch of plates to shift all of my Modulars to(which means I would need 4 plates for each of my 15(and an extra two for the extended AS) Modulars plus the next one. I’d rather spend that money on sets instead. 

I get it's not good for people who already have based their city on the road baseplates. I never liked them and I'm happy there now is an easy solution for my missing roads...

18 hours ago, Kallego said:

I get it's not good for people who already have based their city on the road baseplates. I never liked them and I'm happy there now is an easy solution for my missing roads...

I agree it's a nice solution to add some roads to the side of 3-in-1, Friends, City buildings and such without using 32x32 area.

Those roads will just look nicer on a shelf imo.

On a shelf, curved road plates seem pretty useless, and this is easier to scale then 32x32 areas, especially when buildings have different depths.

It's not that road baseplates are useless, they certainly aren't, they work great for covering large areas.

But with this I also like you can make 1-lane roads with this system again like the old Town sets, or put something like a gas pump or barrier in the middle of the road, or an extra parking lane/bus stop.

Edited by TeriXeri

21 hours ago, Kallego said:

It’s from a place of frustration & annoyance, as I have a city full of Modulars. Knowing their recent Creator buildings & seeing next year’s City offerings I get it. For all we know they could still be keeping the road plates around, if there isn’t much of a production inconvenience involved, so all this moaning could be for nothing.:laugh:

10 hours ago, Vindicare said:

It’s from a place of frustration & annoyance, as I have a city full of Modulars. Knowing their recent Creator buildings & seeing next year’s City offerings I get it. For all we know they could still be keeping the road plates around, if there isn’t much of a production inconvenience involved, so all this moaning could be for nothing.:laugh:

Road baseplates and buildable roads being in production at the same time? What a joyful sight that would be. I have a town too. But I haven't any roads for it. I'm going road baseplate shopping soon. 

7 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Road baseplates and buildable roads being in production at the same time? What a joyful sight that would be. I have a town too. But I haven't any roads for it. I'm going road baseplate shopping soon. 

That would be ideal. I would imagine Modulars are a big enough business that it would warrant keeping the road plates. But then, how many of the total Modular buyers use road plates with them. I see a lot of towns that do & then I also see a fair few who just put them on a shelf. 

1 hour ago, Vindicare said:

That would be ideal. I would imagine Modulars are a big enough business that it would warrant keeping the road plates. But then, how many of the total Modular buyers use road plates with them. I see a lot of towns that do & then I also see a fair few who just put them on a shelf. 

On the contrary for me. I mostly see them being used in table towns with road baseplates. 

What I'm saying is....they shouldn't completely throw road baseplates away. They don't need to do that. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

2 hours ago, Vindicare said:

It's definitely a good question. Even if the modular buildings can be modded to work with road baseplates, I never got the impression they were intended to work with road baseplates. They always struck me more as their own independent series, kind of like the Ninjago City sets or Winter Village sets are.

I also figure a big factor in whether modular building collectors bother with roads at all is what type of storage space they use. On social media, I've seen AFOLs display their collections in a number of different ways. Some of them do have a specially designated "LEGO room" with a centrally located "tabletown". That's certainly the style of display that tends to works best with road plates.

But I've also seen a lot of AFOLs who opt for displaying buildings on shelves or in cabinets along the walls of a room (similar to the microscale shelves in the AFOL apartment). And that sort of display rarely leaves enough room for more than a single row of baseplates. This is closer to my own childhood experience — we had a multi-level "built shelf" around the walls in our basement, whereas the middle of the floor was kept open for play.

Tbh, I have to wonder if those sorts of space limitations might've been another factor that helped inform the design of this new road system. Although stuff like play value, creative potential, and cost of manufacture were probably higher on the designers' priority lists, given how kid-targeted the City theme in general tends to be.

Edited by Aanchir

2 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

On the contrary for me. I mostly see them being used in table towns with road baseplates. 

What I'm saying is....they shouldn't completely throw road baseplates away. They don't need to do that. 

I do too, but that’s because I seek out the town layout folks. But when I just look at LEGO pics, I see a fair number of shelf displays too.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

It's definitely a good question. Even if the modular buildings can be modded to work with road baseplates, I never got the impression they were intended to work with road baseplates. They always struck me more as their own independent series, kind of like the Ninjago City sets or Winter Village sets are.

I also figure a big factor in whether modular building collectors bother with roads at all is what type of storage space they use. On social media, I've seen AFOLs display their collections in a number of different ways. Some of them do have a specially designated "LEGO room" with a centrally located "tabletown". That's certainly the style of display that tends to works best with road plates.

But I've also seen a lot of AFOLs who opt for displaying buildings on shelves or in cabinets along the walls of a room (similar to the microscale shelves in the AFOL apartment). And that sort of display rarely leaves enough room for more than a single row of baseplates. This is closer to my own childhood experience — we had a multi-level "built shelf" around the walls in our basement, whereas the middle of the floor was kept open for play.

Tbh, I have to wonder if those sorts of space limitations might've been another factor that helped inform the design of this new road system. Although stuff like play value, creative potential, and cost of manufacture were probably higher on the designers' priority lists, given how kid-targeted the City theme in general tends to be.

They don’t necessarily need modding to work with Modulars as you can just sit the road plates next to/in front of. That’s what I did early on before I got a bunch of 2x2 dark grey tiles. 

As I said above, I’ve seen a good number of both towns & shelves, but I seek out the towns, so I can’t accurately say which is the more used display choice. I could see the display space factoring into changing the roads, good point. The Creator/new City coupled with the new roads could work well on a shelf I bet. 

I'm going to upgrade my current town layout with the new system... Well, maybe. The problem is that all the buildings are on the old type of baseplates, so I guess I'll have to switch to plates instead for the whole layout... Hmm, expensive. But I kinda like the new solution. It's easier to customize. 

On 10/11/2020 at 2:58 PM, mikaelsol said:

I'm going to upgrade my current town layout with the new system... Well, maybe. The problem is that all the buildings are on the old type of baseplates, so I guess I'll have to switch to plates instead for the whole layout... Hmm, expensive. But I kinda like the new solution. It's easier to customize. 

Why not put the new system on baseplates (16*16 or 16*32) instead of putting your layout on plates?

Those new road plates remind me of the old Micromachines sets. Not sure whether I like them and I'm not sure whether the children will like them, though what they lose in 'realism' they may make up for in versatility. Will probably end up getting some so will reserve judgement.

27 minutes ago, Sandbag58 said:

Those new road plates remind me of the old Micromachines sets. Not sure whether I like them and I'm not sure whether the children will like them, though what they lose in 'realism' they may make up for in versatility. Will probably end up getting some so will reserve judgement.

I think the best we can do is wait for clearer pics then be the judge of that. 

On 10/16/2020 at 2:16 PM, Powered by Bricks said:

A new lego Harry Potter summer set list have been revealed here on eurobricks, so probably we will have more information for city

There are videos on youtube with 2021 city sets (winther sets though)

Edited by vclarke

12 hours ago, vclarke said:

There are videos on youtube with 2021 city sets (winther sets though)

I don't think there are videos of the sets yet. All I found the past days were basically people showing the leaked instagram pics of the swiss catalogue for commercial customers.

5 minutes ago, rzmpf said:

I don't think there are videos of the sets yet. All I found the past days were basically people showing the leaked instagram pics of the swiss catalogue for commercial customers.

Yeah! That's what I thought. 

Never liked those new set "videos" , even if they have new set names/numbers, it doesn't help when it's basicly a slideslow, of often MOCs or old sets often very clickbait.

I rather watch analysis videos after official pictures.

Edited by TeriXeri

I already know Coast Guard is returning as that one is guaranteed every 4 or 5 years. 

I hope Garage from 2009 returns too! Technically that would be considered a rescue subtheme given what it was portrayed as back during the "HEY" generation. Right now, I have every set from taht subtheme except for the helicopter transport - which I plan to obtain soon. 

Here's another revival I hope City does in the near future. 

e66da635eeff1183541d80ed4e619963.png

Yes, it does seem like this is basically Coast Guard. But the newer version of ResQ could probably focus on post natural disaster situations. 

Unless we actually see proof (or possibly really credible leaks), I don't think we can assume that Coast Guard (or any other theme) is comming back in 2h2021.

Just because LEGO has previously released Coast Guard on a particular time-frame doesn't mean they will do it again.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Unless we actually see proof (or possibly really credible leaks), I don't think we can assume that Coast Guard (or any other theme) is comming back in 2h2021.

Just because LEGO has previously released Coast Guard on a particular time-frame doesn't mean they will do it again.

Actually we can if it's a guaranteed subtheme. Coast Guard is a guranteed subtheme just like Police, Fire, Aiport, Trains, Great Vehicles and Town. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

No matter what has happened in the past LEGO can (and does) change their plans all time. Even if LEGO did in fact label Coast Guard a "guaranteed sub-theme" in the past that doesn't mean they won't choose to change their plans and release something else (which may be some other rescue related sub-theme such as Mountain Rescue or may be something totally different)

Now its entirely possible LEGO will release new Coast Guard sets at some point depending on how well the last lot sold (and how well any new products go when testing with the appropriate focus groups etc) but short of inside information/leaks or some official statement/reveal by LEGO themselves, I don't think anyone in this forum can 100% gaurantee what sets are or are not comming out in the future. Past releases (or even past statements about what themes and product lines are "guaranteed" or "evergreen") can't be relied upon as any kind of indication about future products (I can't find a cite for it right now but I believe at one point LEGO labeled themes like Castle, Space and Pirates as "evergreen themes" and look at where we are now with those themes (Excluding Ideas sets and LEGO Movie stuff, the last proper Castle sets we got were in 2013, the last proper Space sets we got came from Galaxy Squad in 2013 and the last proper Pirates sets we got were in 2015)