Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

Makes sense. I guess we can just adjust these new roads to whatever width we want if we have problems with the width. I really hope they do tram versions of these new roads.

12 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

There are several obvious ones that I’ve been bringing up for years at this point when describing what I’d like to see in the next road system:

• Anti-studs underneath of plates/tiles make them fundamentally more versatile and customization-friendly than traditional baseplates, since it allows builds to be easily and securely angled or raised, and to be joined with custom assemblies constructed from standard building elements rather than only with printed parts designed SOLELY for use as roads.

• Both anti studs and the lack of built-in curbs make it MUCH easier to create bridges, overpasses, bike lanes, curbside parking, multi-lane highways, changes in elevation, etc. within this system.

• Curbs no longer need to be entirely plated/tiled over for layouts with a different ground color like Winter Village or desert layouts.

• The new system makes it much easier to ensure driveways and alleyways of any width connect directly to the edge of the road and remain flush with the road surface, whereas previously any driveway narrower than the width of a full road would require either studs or inconsistent elevation between roads and offshoots.

• The new system makes it easier to add different features like median strips, traffic circles, etc. in the center of a road, whereas the old system required rare, bespoke road plate molds/prints for these features.

• The new system can be included in a much wider range of sets and price points, compared to the old one which could only be included in sets with a box bigger than 32x32 studs.

• The new road system can have crosswalks, manholes, and storm drains anywhere you like, not just at predefined points on a road segment.

• The new road system’s lanes can be widened as much as you need for whichever scale of vehicles or real-world lane width standards you prefer using standard tiles, whereas the old road baseplates had lanes in fixed, immutable widths that didn’t even stay consistent between sets with different years of release. In other words, road baseplates made THEMSELVES obsolete any time LEGO decided they wanted a different lane width.

That’s just a few off the top of my head! After all, this is the sort of shift I’ve been hoping to see for MANY years. And as for current drawbacks like the lack of curves, those could easily be dealt with as the system continues to expand. Potentially even in a way that creates even more possibilities for layouts than the old road system did, like curves of less than 90 degrees (like the ones used for LEGO train tracks). Overall, this system is MUCH more friendly to customization and expansion than the old one, which effectively hit the limits of its potential decades ago.

So... the best feature is that my wallet is happy, yay!!! :laugh:

Is it just me or does the Great Vehicles line seem to be getting smaller and more boring by the year?

Edited by Brandon Pea

Yea, a lot of this year's vehicles appear very uninspired. And there seems to be a trend toward simpler builds.

4 minutes ago, SD100 said:

Yea, a lot of this year's vehicles appear very uninspired. And there seems to be a trend toward simpler builds.

Yeah! Don't get me wrong. This year's Great Vehicles wave seems to have given me some surprises. One of those being the Ice Cream Truck - something that has never been done in City before. Though Capital City did have a small ice cream cart. Not very appealing though. Then there was the street sweeper and the monster truck. The postal plane was okay, but if it were up to me, it would've been a van. Otherwise......nothing else really appealed to me. 

22 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

So... the best feature is that my wallet is happy, yay!!! :laugh:

I guess if you want under detailed roads and what not. I on the other hand will know that I will have a very unhappy wallet.

1 hour ago, Inspecter said:

As a long time lurker, I have decided to give my own feedback on the new road plate system.

I can see both positives and negatives with the new road system.

First I'll start with the positives:

1. We can do elevated roads. Since other colors of the road piece seem to used in the Harry Potter Classroom sets, there seems to be stud connectors at the bottom. this makes it good for adding supports.

2. Plated roads make it easier for tram/streetcar integration. Since the new system makes use of tiled roads this makes it easier to have Tram tracks integrated, well atleast straight sections of track using old 12V tracks. Maybe there's plans to have these new road pieces with embedded track and of course curve variations if this new system is popular.

Now on to negatives.

1. Roads are a bit high. As stated by people here, these new roads are a bit too high and the road would be taller than the sidewalks of modular buildings. but this can be an easy but expensive fix.

2. Lack of curves. Of course what kind road system doesn't have curves. Since it's just straights and intersections which are easier to do, maybe they're trying to figure out how to do curves and thus went with straights and intersections first.

3. Roads might be a bit to thin. Since Lego city cars seem to be getting bigger and bigger every year, wouldn't have been much better to have a lane be 10 studs wide rather than 8?

If I were to give feedback on improving it more I would say: make the lanes wider, give us curves and of course give us tram track versions. Also as someone stated before lack of sidewalks maybe a negative but honestly I don't mind, leaves more room for us to make our own sidewalks. One more thing kind of related to the new roads but not really, I really hope those signs are printed and not stickers and I hope there's a future Xtra set that's basically a rerelease of the old road signs set from the late 90s.

All great points.

I want to set my city up like Boston so the narrow streets with sharp intersections works just fine for me. The lack of curved pieces may be an issue for others however.

Edited by BrickfordCityFire

32 minutes ago, Inspecter said:

I guess if you want under detailed roads and what not. I on the other hand will know that I will have a very unhappy wallet.

What’s not detailed about current roads that this new system has? 

2 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

What’s not detailed about current roads that this new system has? 

not that the old system is under detailed itself. I should've said it's not as flexible, as in the sense you can't make multiple lanes without mutilating the plate or put supports under it to elevate it without having it slide or wobble around or have proper Tram lines. 

i like the new road systems, and its like lego city designers dont think about keeping collectors happy they more think about what kids would like. i think its smart that they are including the new roads in the town sets, so im all for this.

Your wallet won't hurt too much... but not buying these still saves me money...

58 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

i like the new road systems, and its like lego city designers dont think about keeping collectors happy they more think about what kids would like. i think its smart that they are including the new roads in the town sets, so im all for this.

I think kids would like something more simpler. I always thought buildable roads WAS a collectors thing. Baseplates were always like playmats and those are definately things I loved as a kid. 

20 hours ago, arnoldtblumberg said:

Just went and bought the maximum number of roadplates from the LEGO shop and will be keeping an eye out for other dealers too. This road system is one of the ugliest, worst things I've ever seen them do in 40+ years of being a LEGO fan. 

Gonna do the same thing when x2 VIP points are active tomorrow.

44 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I think kids would like something more simpler. I always thought buildable roads WAS a collectors thing. Baseplates were always like playmats and those are definately things I loved as a kid.  

I think this new system seems plenty kid-friendly… I mean, the new roads are very similar (in terms of both their height and the way they connect together) to the bases in 4+/Juniors and Super Mario sets. From my experience, parts like these tend to be very easy to line up with each other and link together securely, which helps to make up for them not being one big sheet by default.

Entirely brick-built roads (especially ones that are reliant on SNOT techniques) are definitely more of an AFOL MOCist thing, but these are a lot more user-friendly than that. Judging from the piece count we've heard for 60304 and the accessories shown for it in the leaked picture, most or all of the road segments in the final set will presumably be 16x16x2/3 and 8x16x2/3 molds, rather than two layers of standard plates and tiles.

Edited by Aanchir

I think the 4+ have to be selling extremely well, because most the line-up looks like 4+

24 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

looks like only 3 sets are 4+, everything else is 5+ and 6+. city is made for children, not adults.

Won't stop some adults from getting them for their own layouts, while also modifying them of course.

Won't stop some adults from getting them for their own layouts, while also modifying them of course.

I agree. I have some of the newer vehicles like the ice cream truck, racing cars and street sweeper. But I mostly collect the older ones that were made back when the standards of designing the vehicles was much higher and more reasonable than they are now. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

9 hours ago, Inspecter said:

not that the old system is under detailed itself. I should've said it's not as flexible, as in the sense you can't make multiple lanes without mutilating the plate or put supports under it to elevate it without having it slide or wobble around or have proper Tram lines. 

That’s fair. They certainly are a bit limited. I never did like the curve plates because they couldn’t properly be tiled- I’m not a fan of the jagged edge like some do. I will push back on adding tracks though, that’s easy enough to do. I’ve seen a lot of creative ideas.  

9 hours ago, toopizza13 said:

I don’t know of any collectors who are sitting on unopened street plates or who covet them for their future value. I, along with the few other town layout guys I’ve talked to about this, aren’t fans at all because we all have a lot of Modulars that are built on baseplates, and this new system royally screws that up. 

Now, seeing the catalog page with the City sets integrated with the system, it makes sense. But it still doesn’t make losing the baseplates that only work with Modulars any easier. 

The integration of speed bumps in the new road system is pretty cool. Seems like a lot more options for customization.

6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

I, along with the few other town layout guys I’ve talked to about this, aren’t fans at all because we all have a lot of Modulars that are built on baseplates, and this new system royally screws that up. 

Now, seeing the catalog page with the City sets integrated with the system, it makes sense. But it still doesn’t make losing the baseplates that only work with Modulars any easier. 

I like the new system. It's easy to mod to fit baseplate. Just put it on 16*16 or 16*32 baseplates instead of normal plates. And now it fits the modulars better then road baseplates, because there is no gap to be tiled...in my opinion. 

I think we need to see better pics of My City sets to truly judge them.

Kind reminds me of Matchbox Motorcity sets of the 1970s plus an infusion of classic 50s town plan.

2 hours ago, Kallego said:

I like the new system. It's easy to mod to fit baseplate. Just put it on 16*16 or 16*32 baseplates instead of normal plates. And now it fits the modulars better then road baseplates, because there is no gap to be tiled...in my opinion. 

while that's true, the road is going to be taller than the sidewalk on the modular.

Looks like you either put the Modulars on another baseplate (2 stacked baseplates = 1 plate), add something else underneath to increase the height to align with this road system or replace the baseplates by four 16 x 16 plates.