Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

2 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

what do you mean? you mean the link you gave before?

Yes, if you saw correctly the great vehicles page you will see the back of a blue car:that's the sports car set, and if you saw the page of the city center combined with another sets you will see a big house, a small car,a big police and a police 4x4 vehicle:that's teh set 60278

Edited by Powered by Bricks

Man...those roadplates are awful. :sick: Not even a great price could save them. The connector plates stick out like a sore thumb(could be the renders though). I’ve seen plenty of brick built roads, but they were seamless...not whatever is happening in that catalog. 

Just went and bought the maximum number of roadplates from the LEGO shop and will be keeping an eye out for other dealers too. This road system is one of the ugliest, worst things I've ever seen them do in 40+ years of being a LEGO fan. 

I will reserve judgement until I see the sets (or at least very clear images).

Although if I can find some and afford them I will probably snag more road plates (I have 3 each of the straight and T, I could use some curves and cross at least)

The new road plates don't look so good, but on the bright side, it appears that there will be a lot of buildings in City next year.

I actually like the new road system because its great for those who dont have large modular city buildings and would like to build cities on a smaller scale and you are not forced to have you city block set to a normal 32x32 sizeroad plate you can make your city whatever size you want BUT i do think lego should also keep the original road base plates 

I like the camper, the tractor and the green SUV in the buggy transport set. Imo, fire sets don't look good, just as the prison transport set (tiny wheel dragster and the huge prison truck are just a mismatch). Hideout may be a nice set, looks like some SWAT-Truck driving into the building with police roping down from the helicopter. Modern family home looks way too small, just a facade with a balcony/terrace and a driveway with a small car. But a relatively big piece of new road attached, so that's a big part of the number of pieces.
Skate park might be a nice scenery piece, Lego should have kept the car out and made it 10 $/€ cheaper.

But I need better pictures to ultimately decide.

Not a huge fan of the new road pieces to be honest... at least my wallet could be happy! :laugh:

1 hour ago, rzmpf said:

Imo, fire sets don't look good, just as the prison transport set (tiny wheel dragster and the huge prison truck are just a mismatch).

Fire sets don't look that bad either though. But I fully agree on the prisoner transport. I am disappointed that it wasn't a prison bus. Not too fond of the monster truck look either. Should've lowered the chassis and made it more like the prisoner transports from 2005, 2011 and 2014. 

"the new modular system promotes the selling of cool City sets" Well, the German text says it all... I still don't think that kids' happiness was the starting point for this new product line.

Judging from the pictures the new system (parts are used for the HP classroom books too I believe) is even worse than expected, since the final road isn't smooth (!) and leaves us with a huge amount of unbuilt areas in between - like in a Swiss cheese. Additionally it's now higher than the surrounding area (e.g. "park" in 6092 City Centre) and there are no sidewalks for pedestrians. The inhabitants of 60291 Family home must love it though, since they live on a parking plot and have practically no garden at all...

However the other sets are much better! I do like especially the jet plane transport. 

i like these new roads, i think ill get 60291, 60292, and a few of 60304. i like the new fire command center, and the fire helicopter looks good. i love 60276, and 60278, ill be picking those up aswell. im not to crazy on the great vehicles, nothing new.

26 minutes ago, BrickfordCityFire said:

Those new road plates look awful. They are like...3 different shades of gray, and none of the plates are even.

I really hope it isn't the end product.

i think its just the picture to show how they are built.

Honestly, I think the color/texture issues with the road plates is due to them being 3D printed prototypes in these images. After all, the picture of 60304 doesn't match up with the rumored piece count (112 pieces) — so I suspect that a lot of the existing plate/tile assemblies in the picture are placeholders for the new road elements, presumably because LEGO didn't have finished molds for at the time the photos were taken, and was still using their mock-ups from the development phase.

These sorts of mismatched colors or textures show up frequently in preliminary pictures that feature brand-new part designs (preliminary images of Bionicle and Hero Factory sets were rife with them), and are one of the MANY reasons that it's generally a bad idea to draw any judgments about part quality from these type of catalog images.

Once actual photos of the finished sets begin to show up, THEN we'll be able to more fairly scrutinize nitty-gritty details like alignment, clutch, color, or texture issues. In any case, these seem like a BIG improvement on the old road system from a creative building standpoint, and I will be excited to see clearer/more finalized pictures in the months to come. :classic:

But where is the improvement? Sure, the old road baseplates had a fixed and unchangeable 32x32 grid - but it was compatible with the standard green/blue... plates. Now you can make the roads shorter or longer (+), but you don't get curves as far as I can make out (-); e.g. no Speed Champions race circuit for the kids to build. And the few added trees or roadsigns don't justify the change in my opinion - a 10$/10€ non-exclusive tree set is long overdue anyhow.

I suspect the old road system wasn't popular, because the were no houses/farms/harbors... in City anymore. No buildings, no need for baseplates - just simple as that, regardless of shape, color or system. If Lego doesn't change something the new modular roads will fail... Maybe they will surprise us, who knows, but for now I'm not impressed.

8 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

But where is the improvement?

There are none...

I still don't know what to think about the new Camper 60283. It´s a replica from the 60057, but with different front design.

I don´t mind when LEGO reboots a set, but it does bother me to have a precedent of making a whole new set by just a small design change.

On the other hand, as far as I can see on the picture, the small change is a huge improvement. 

Maybe it's too much analysis for a small set, but I'm a Lego Camper collector and 60057 was a formidable build.

As a long time lurker, I have decided to give my own feedback on the new road plate system.

I can see both positives and negatives with the new road system.

First I'll start with the positives:

1. We can do elevated roads. Since other colors of the road piece seem to used in the Harry Potter Classroom sets, there seems to be stud connectors at the bottom. this makes it good for adding supports.

2. Plated roads make it easier for tram/streetcar integration. Since the new system makes use of tiled roads this makes it easier to have Tram tracks integrated, well atleast straight sections of track using old 12V tracks. Maybe there's plans to have these new road pieces with embedded track and of course curve variations if this new system is popular.

Now on to negatives.

1. Roads are a bit high. As stated by people here, these new roads are a bit too high and the road would be taller than the sidewalks of modular buildings. but this can be an easy but expensive fix.

2. Lack of curves. Of course what kind road system doesn't have curves. Since it's just straights and intersections which are easier to do, maybe they're trying to figure out how to do curves and thus went with straights and intersections first.

3. Roads might be a bit to thin. Since Lego city cars seem to be getting bigger and bigger every year, wouldn't have been much better to have a lane be 10 studs wide rather than 8?

If I were to give feedback on improving it more I would say: make the lanes wider, give us curves and of course give us tram track versions. Also as someone stated before lack of sidewalks maybe a negative but honestly I don't mind, leaves more room for us to make our own sidewalks. One more thing kind of related to the new roads but not really, I really hope those signs are printed and not stickers and I hope there's a future Xtra set that's basically a rerelease of the old road signs set from the late 90s.

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

There are none...

There are several obvious ones that I’ve been bringing up for years at this point when describing what I’d like to see in the next road system:

• Anti-studs underneath of plates/tiles make them fundamentally more versatile and customization-friendly than traditional baseplates, since it allows builds to be easily and securely angled or raised, and to be joined with custom assemblies constructed from standard building elements rather than only with printed parts designed SOLELY for use as roads.

• Both anti studs and the lack of built-in curbs make it MUCH easier to create bridges, overpasses, bike lanes, curbside parking, multi-lane highways, changes in elevation, etc. within this system.

• Curbs no longer need to be entirely plated/tiled over for layouts with a different ground color like Winter Village or desert layouts.

• The new system makes it much easier to ensure driveways and alleyways of any width connect directly to the edge of the road and remain flush with the road surface, whereas previously any driveway narrower than the width of a full road would require either studs or inconsistent elevation between roads and offshoots.

• The new system makes it easier to add different features like median strips, traffic circles, etc. in the center of a road, whereas the old system required rare, bespoke road plate molds/prints for these features.

• The new system can be included in a much wider range of sets and price points, compared to the old one which could only be included in sets with a box bigger than 32x32 studs.

• The new road system can have crosswalks, manholes, and storm drains anywhere you like, not just at predefined points on a road segment.

• The new road system’s lanes can be widened as much as you need for whichever scale of vehicles or real-world lane width standards you prefer using standard tiles, whereas the old road baseplates had lanes in fixed, immutable widths that didn’t even stay consistent between sets with different years of release. In other words, road baseplates made THEMSELVES obsolete any time LEGO decided they wanted a different lane width.

That’s just a few off the top of my head! After all, this is the sort of shift I’ve been hoping to see for MANY years. And as for current drawbacks like the lack of curves, those could easily be dealt with as the system continues to expand. Potentially even in a way that creates even more possibilities for layouts than the old road system did, like curves of less than 90 degrees (like the ones used for LEGO train tracks). Overall, this system is MUCH more friendly to customization and expansion than the old one, which effectively hit the limits of its potential decades ago.

Edited by Aanchir

16 minutes ago, Inspecter said:

3. Roads might be a bit to thin. Since Lego city cars seem to be getting bigger and bigger every year, wouldn't have been much better to have a lane be 10 studs wide rather than 8?

I think 8 is the right number , 8, 16 , 32 goes well with existing plate dimensions, while a multiplier of 10 just would be weird, there are 8x8 , 8x16, 16x16 plates, and baseplates are 16x32, 32x32 and 48x48 all can be divided by 8 and not 10 studs

8 can be easily divided into 1 , 2 , 4 studs as well.

Also I think City vehicles generally are still within size limits, it's mostly Creator and the 2020 Speed Champion vehicles being larger then City but I personally see them as seperate themes and not designed for City even while 3-in-1 has houses and buildings. 

City has some 8 wides but not in a problematic standard yet.

Edited by TeriXeri