Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

A van is something different then Caravan.

Similar idea

28 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Looking at previous City Bus sets, they seem to always have released in summer , unless there is a bus in the Town Center set.

Ugh! That's my frustration. I always have to get a big set with a lot of matter I don't need just to get a bus. My town is in need of a bus service and it only has one bus unfortunately. That one was from the bus station set from 2017 - which is probably the best and closest they have gotten to a standalone bus. I really would like to see one as a great vehicle. That way it'll be easier to get. 

28 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I'm not sure if there will be a van... TLG has recently released 31108...

Lego doesn't cross theme waves. City is City and Creator is Creator. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

2 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Lego doesn't cross theme waves. City is City and Creator is Creator. 

But I don't think there will be two vans running at the same time. In fact I believe most customers would just buy one of them...

4 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Similar idea

LEGO 60283 Holiday Camper Van is releasing in 2021 City, so the Creator and City themes can have similar vehicles at the same time. 

Just like Creator had a Burger Truck and City had a Burger Bar in 2019, and Burger Diner in 2020.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO 60283 Holiday Camper Van is releasing in 2021 City, so the Creator and City themes can have similar vehicles at the same time. 

Just like Creator had a Burger Truck and City had a Burger Bar in 2019, and Burger Diner in 2020.

Though I think the City Burger bar is retiring this year. Trucks and Diners/Bars are different stuff, at least in my opinion...

11 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Though I think the City Burger bar is retiring this year. Trucks and Diners/Bars are different stuff, at least in my opinion...

Ok good point there, but City 60209-1.jpg?201812041022 is retiring, and a €19,99 prisoner Transport can't be very a large vehicle.

To compare : 

2014 set had more of an armored American look to it.

60043-1.jpg?201311100551 

2005-2008-2011 was more of an European style Van.

tn_7286_alt4_jpg.jpg

But I understand the meaning of the word Van or Truck can have somewhat different meanings between countries and regions.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

It could be interesting, 3-in-1 has had sidewalks for a while in the 2014-2017, and also 2019-2020.  

After the 2017 City accesoires set, in 2018 Xtra added expandability with traffic lights, mailboxes, street lanterns and such that could fit on them. 

Truthfully, if there's one thing that does bother me about the new road system… it's the decision to release 60304 as a City set rather than an Xtra set. I felt like one of the best things about the Xtra branding is that it was independent of other themes. After all, a lot of the contents of the Xtra theme were things that could fit in just as comfortably with Friends, Creator, Ninjago, or Hidden Side sets/MOCs as with City sets/MOCs. The LEGO City/My City branding makes me worry we're less likely to see this road system make an appearance in other themes, even when it would be no trouble at all to do so.

But you raise a good point in that if this road system catches on, there's no reason that LEGO couldn't do like they did with the playmats and accessory sets that first showed up with City and Friends branding in 2017, then got carried over to the Xtra theme. It's certainly far from unheard of for LEGO to introduce new stuff (like shooters, light bricks, magnets, hinges, new colors, etc) as a unique selling point for a particular theme/themes before expanding them to more general use.

12 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

To me, it feels like Lego has done away with subthemes. I don't speak for anyone else, but I think that's a good system to have. The police and fire sets are mixed right in there with the other sets and there doesn't seem to be a headquarters for police - them having a crooks hideout set instead. Good move, Lego!

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. To me, it seems like all the 2021 sets we've heard about so far can be divided neatly into four categories: Fire, Police, Great Vehicles, and My City. Nothing about that really seems too different from previous years.

Furthermore, dividing themes up into different subcategories is a long-established way of making new releases more coherent and easier to keep track of in general, not just in LEGO City. So I can't really imagine LEGO deciding to randomly give up on that strategy in one of their biggest themes.

I still expect Coast Guard to return in Summer 2021, just seems one of those that makes sense

I do hope they seperate the Ship, from the Base tho.

With a Police Boat coming, a Diver theme still on shelves, and a Elite Police floating helicopter/lighthouse just released.

Unless they do it under Harbour, with more focus on either Cargo, a Pilot boat, Civilian Marina, and possibly a medical Search and Rescue boat/helicopter (yellow like previous ski helicopter/ski resort rescue vehicles)

Not all countries have their rescue operations under Coast Guard. My country has voluntary lifeboat stations, and currently at least until 2022, SAR flights are via a commerical belgian company.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 9/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, Aanchir said:

Furthermore, dividing themes up into different subcategories is a long-established way of making new releases more coherent and easier to keep track of in general, not just in LEGO City. So I can't really imagine LEGO deciding to randomly give up on that strategy in one of their biggest themes.

I can see it. Ever since 2015, the whole subtheme system began to cause controversy. You wouldn't believe it if I were to tell you that if I got a dollar for every time someone questioned a subtheme on any forum or social media platform, I'd have enough money to buy Lego out right now. I'd see stuff like "The sanitation business is a vital civilian service! How come that doesn't have a dedicated subtheme?" or "How come we haven't seen a postal workers subtheme?" "How come these jobs get dedicated subthemes and these don't?" Stuff like that. You can say that sales have to do with it. But with somethings, you may just have to take a chance and move them into production to REALLY see the results like they did with the garage subtheme in 2009. That was obviously a bad seller thus why it didn't stay on the shelves for long. Personally, I'm not bothered by it as I do somewhat agree. At the same time, especially on this forum, there are those who think those types of sets are better as small, in the background, releases in the Town and Great Vehicles subthemes.

Do I think certain jobs should get a dedicated subtheme? Yeah I do!

Is it likely to happen? No! 

I hear that Lego is changing up City for the better. The idea of subthemes would be a station on the line to consider. Little subway operator pun intended there. 

But if they are going to do the whole subtheme thing, I think they should give dedicated subthemes to all the major city services like police, fire, medical, construction, airport, garbage, towing, mail and public transportation - similar to how it was in the late 2000s. Then town and great vehicles (which have been merged into My City according to you guys and some other sources) can be exclusive to civilian stuff like the ice cream truck or the Doughnut shop. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

21 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I still expect Coast Guard to return in Summer 2021, just seems one of those that makes sense

Oh Coast Guard is definately going to return soon. If not 2021, definitely 2022. Coast Guard is another one of those guaranteed subthemes for City. 

22 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Unless they do it under Harbour, with more focus on either Cargo, a Pilot boat, Civilian Marina, and possibly a medical Search and Rescue boat/helicopter (yellow like previous ski helicopter/ski resort rescue vehicles)

Cargo is another subtheme I hope will return soon. I remember putting on the Ideas for New City Sets page that the base set for that one should be a ship dock like setting. That means Harbor and Cargo have officially been merged. 

9 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Welp! This thread is in a coma right now. I think we need to wake it up. 

9 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Welp! This thread is in a coma right now. I think we need to wake it up. 

I just checked Brickset and there seems to be a significant gap between 60292 and 60304 (12 points) I wonder what sets are still to be announced?

21 minutes ago, LegoManiac25 said:

I just checked Brickset and there seems to be a significant gap between 60292 and 60304 (12 points) I wonder what sets are still to be announced?

Based on past City waves, I'm assuming the rest of those are summer sets. But what would shock me is if we were to get a small mid year wave of some sort. 

18 minutes ago, siimonsayslego said:

I reckon the new city plan set could easily have a bus seeing as the new main square set came with a tram

I think that the buildings for this new set will be something new

1 hour ago, siimonsayslego said:

I reckon the new city plan set could easily have a bus seeing as the new main square set came with a tram

I want a standalone bus set like the one from 2017. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I want a standalone bus set like the one from 2017. 

Or what about a set like 8404 Public Transport Station, that was a great set and I'm glad I managed to pick that up

3 minutes ago, siimonsayslego said:

Or what about a set like 8404 Public Transport Station, that was a great set and I'm glad I managed to pick that up

No. The one from 2017 please. I want one where its centered on the bus service. The 2010 one had too much other matter that I don't need. Or how about a transit bus for Great Vehicles? That would be a much better idea. 

1 hour ago, toopizza13 said:

i think sets could leak soon i saw a star wars leak and someone had a entire catalog

I'm looking at either late October or early Novenber. 

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

I'm looking at either late October or early Novenber. 

idk i mean if someone has a catalog, they may leak pics of city sets. i mean more stuff has gotten leaked from a catalog so i'd say very soon.

31 minutes ago, toopizza13 said:

idk i mean if someone has a catalog, they may leak pics of city sets. i mean more stuff has gotten leaked from a catalog so i'd say very soon.

I know about the camper, fire truck and the construction loader. But what else has gotten leaked?

2 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

I know about the camper, fire truck and the construction loader. But what else has gotten leaked?

I think the town center set got leaked, not sure of it's validity