Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

On 9/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, TeriXeri said:

It's surprising there's a Beach Rescue Squad set, maybe that'll take the place of a Coast Guard starter set .

Oooooh! That does sound likely. Of so, I'm definately excited to see how that would pan out. 

On 9/15/2020 at 12:04 PM, TeriXeri said:

I do hope it's less Lego City Adventures and more back to a more basic City without required subthemes or named characters.

My assumption is that they keep the show as a marketing tool as it just might be cheaper to make it into a TV show instead of doing mini movies. Though I actually like the mini movies better. I guess they do named characters because they want to make it more like Friends and Ninjago, both of which have all their characters named. As for getting rid of subthemes, I kinda agree with that business move. It gives the designers more creative freedom instead of being obligated to stick to one system year after year. That and the subtheme system did encite controversy as fans and customers alike began to wise up in 2018 when I began to see more and more comments saying "How come these jobs get dedicated subthemes and those don't?". At least with the subtheme free system, no one wins but everyone is happy. 

Whoever came up with that idea at Lego gets my respect. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

Oooooh! That does sound likely. Of so, I'm definately excited to see how that would pan out. 

My assumption is that they keep the show as a marketing tool as it just might be cheaper to make it into a TV show instead of doing mini movies. Though I actually like the mini movies better. I guess they do named characters because they want to make it more like Friends and Ninjago, both of which have all their characters named.

I don't mind named characters , but I suppose because Duke/Freya/Harl are like the main show characters, they did appear the most.

I just hope for 2021 if they return, will have completely new outfits, as other Action themes do that as well, Nexo Knights had completely different armor/printing for each of the 3 years.

On the other hand, making a unique figure in every set isn't great either, especially if a figure only appears in a large set (like Poppy Star).

Maybe I'm just nitpicking and should swap heads/hair/helms etc more if I get duplicates, especially Duke Detain's sunglasses head is still fairly generic and useable, in the Elite Police set it might even be someone else, as he has a helmet/visor on that set.

I don't even mind same the repeat of torso/leg combos for the more generic people like the 2018 Miners, 2019 Space People, and 2020 Divers, or fire/police/medics etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

36 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I don't even mind same the repeat of torso/leg combos for the more generic people like the 2018 Miners, 2019 Space People, and 2020 Divers, or fire/police/medics etc.

Excuse my bad art skills, but I'm not a very good drawer. But I did this in the paint program. Its a labelled torso for cargo workers in Lego City.

latest?cb=20200916011718

Perhaps this is something Lego could do for them instead of them having to share torsos with construction workers/maintenance people. Instead, people who work at the cargo terminal can wear these jackets. I made it gender neutral so that it can fit both male and female minifigures. Thought I'd do the colors to match the vehicles. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Call me weird, but honestly I see no point in the way they print female torsos to look more feminine. Things were just fine when the head and hair defined gender. Makes me super annoyed when a new torso print is made only for females so it can’t be used for males or vice versa. 

Tbh I hate these names characters too, IMO let the kids come up with their own names and ideas, as is the kids just play out what they saw on TV and then get bored for the most part, or sit around wishing they had that one character that only comes in a $120 set.

Just my opinion, thank you for reading my short rant ?

Just now, DodgeDude5498 said:

Call me weird, but honestly I see no point in the way they print female torsos to look more feminine. Things were just fine when the head and hair defined gender. Makes me super annoyed when a new torso print is made only for females so it can’t be used for males or vice versa. 

I don't think you're alone in that opinion. A lot of AFOLs, TFOLs and KFOLs that I have met don't seem to care for those either. My hope is that those are abandoned in 2021. I would prefer them just like you. 

2 minutes ago, DodgeDude5498 said:

Tbh I hate these names characters too, IMO let the kids come up with their own names and ideas, as is the kids just play out what they saw on TV and then get bored for the most part, or sit around wishing they had that one character that only comes in a $120 set.

I agree whole heartily with this. I also miss the minimovies with unnamed generic people.

2 minutes ago, DodgeDude5498 said:

Just my opinion, thank you for reading my short rant ?

I agree lol, that's why my medics have custom printed torso decals XD

28 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I don't think you're alone in that opinion. A lot of AFOLs, TFOLs and KFOLs that I have met don't seem to care for those either. My hope is that those are abandoned in 2021. I would prefer them just like you. 

I agree whole heartily with this. I also miss the minimovies with unnamed generic people.

As much as I’d love to see it, I highly doubt it will be abandoned. Oh yeah, those mini movies were awesome! I wish they’d start doing those again! The last ones they did with Chase McCain weren’t as good but I’d take em.

30 minutes ago, BrickfordCityFire said:

I agree lol, that's why my medics have custom printed torso decals XD

Haha I should do that too! Speaking of medics, that reminds me I still have to decal my new EMS when I get back... *sigh* 

2 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Excuse my bad art skills, but I'm not a very good drawer. But I did this in the paint program. Its a labelled torso for cargo workers in Lego City.

latest?cb=20200916011718

Perhaps this is something Lego could do for them instead of them having to share torsos with construction workers/maintenance people. Instead, people who work at the cargo terminal can wear these jackets. I made it gender neutral so that it can fit both male and female minifigures. Thought I'd do the colors to match the vehicles. 

Definitely agree about Cargo getting there own torso. Speaking of cargo, did I miss something or is there no cargo set in the latest list? Even if they don’t do an actual Cargo set, I LEGO delivery box truck would be super cool. I think a LEGO tractor trailer like the one from 2010 or whatever is too good to hope for at this point.

Honestly, I've been hoping for nearly a decade to see LEGO introduce a customizable, tile-based road system like this! Removing the built-in margins that road baseplates have always included will make it much easier to use these alongside modular buildings or other builds that are meant to line up flush with the edge of the street.

Previously, even sets and MOCs using prefab baseplates like 51595 and 6092 could not be connected neatly to an adjacent road plate because of their built-in driveways — a problem I ran into even as a kid! But with a tile-based road system, it's easy to line these or any other baseplates up directly with a road — just rest them on top of a layer of studs level with the ones that the tiles are attached to, like so:

1930054846_RoadPlateConcept2.jpg.2cf5320946542bfd8eb2edd4183e035e.jpg

One other advantage of this new road system is that it will make it MUCH easier for LEGO to include compatible road segments in standard sets, whereas previously it was only possible in sets with a box big enough to fit a 32x32 baseplate. Also, this road system opens up the possibility of expanding the roads on either side to add additional lanes, bike lanes, or curbside parking. And furthermore, because the new roads will have connections on their underside (unlike road baseplates), it will be easier to add elevation changes, bridges, and overpasses to your street layouts than it ever was with traditional baseplates.

I will certainly still be interested to see how and when LEGO tries to tackle the issue of curves, but I'm confident they can come up with something. Ideally, they might even arrive at a solution that allows for curves of less than 90 degrees, similar to LEGO train tracks and minecart tracks. On that note, imagine how liberating it will be to design train layouts without worrying about how they line up with a 32x32 stud grid of streets! For that matter, road margins not being in fixed colors will make it much easier to add roads to displays that would've previously required covering up any exposed grey or green bits on the sides (like Winter Village layouts)

This system will probably also be a great opportunity for third party LEGO customizers. I can definitely imagine companies that already custom-print tiles with patterns tailored to the AFOL audience (like Firestar Toys, Minifigs.me, EclipseGrafx, and Citizen Brick) offering tiles printed with more varied road patterns than we've ever seen offered in official sets.

All in all, the possibilities seem practically endless, and despite not having bought any road baseplates since my childhood, I'm SUPER excited to get my hands on this new road plate system so I can begin experimenting!

im exited for it, im hoping they make it so the town sets, like 60292, and 60291 have road baseplates in set, so everything connects. i also think its possible that the 60278 could also have a road baseplate, since its a building

1 hour ago, Brandon Pea said:

@Aanchir So you don't really think its a big deal?

I mean, I DEFINITELY think it's a big deal, but in a positive way! :grin: Again, I've been thinking about the potential advantages of replacing road baseplates with a more customizable road system like this for nearly a decade. Here's just one post from 2011 where I brought up some of the possibilities I'd been considering:

It's not as if I dislike baseplates on principle, but they've been the standard for LEGO roads for my entire lifetime. Yet even today, there are few options within that system for creating road bridges, overpasses, inclined streets, etc. A lot of the AFOLs skilled enough to even confront those challenges have not only recognized the inherent drawbacks of road baseplates, but come up with their own custom road techniques and standards to share with the wider community. But as far as official sets are concerned, this is the biggest step we've seen in YEARS towards overcoming those obstacles!

I've seen some folks on various sites expressing concern that roads using this new system might end up being too intricate for kids, but I don't really feel like that's the case, considering how much more intricate LEGO sets in general (including ones aimed at kids) have gotten since road plates first made their debut. I mean, it's not as though these road segments are any harder to link together than the base elements in 4+ sets! And even the tile placement is much, much simpler than the sorts of layering and patterns frequently featured in themes like LEGO Friends or LEGO Dots.

Plus, if height discrepancies between baseplates and standard plates are really a major concern for AFOLs (who generally have more than enough experience, patience, and dexterity to achieve some type of workaround)… then that's all the more reason that kids would benefit from a road system consistent with the plate thickness that the majority of KFOL-oriented sets already use for their foundations!

Edited by Aanchir

Honestly, I don't understand the idea behind the whole system change (higher profit excluded), unless Lego would bring us a a lot of new buildings that are in need of a road connection, like gas stations, garages etc. And somehow I think that's just wishful thinking on my part...

Now I really wonder if some driveway is incorporated in future sets like the Family House and Crook's Hideout raid, especially the hideout which is listed as a €99.99 set.

2013 Helicopter Arrest had a garage , ok it was a really basic building, but the set also came with 3 vehicles, and that was a 352 piece / $50 set.

tn_60009_alt5_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Now I really wonder if some driveway is incorporated in future sets like the Family House and Crook's Hideout raid, especially the hideout which is listed as a €99.99 set.

2013 Helicopter Arrest had a garage , ok it was a really basic building, but the set also came with 3 vehicles, and that was a 352 piece / $50 set.

tn_60009_alt5_jpg.jpg

I hope the new crook's hideout set looks something like that. Btw, it looks like you've gotten your wish man. I remember you telling me that you hoped the next base police set would be a crook's hideout. Perhaps Lego has been listening to us. Overall, I am shocked at this year's wave. For starters, it seems like they've gotten rid of the idea of subthemes and just mixed everything all up. When I saw the official set list for winter 2021 was uploaded on YouTube, I was bracing myself for a boring wave. I was also expecting the police sets to be based in a more jumpy environment; the forest, the swamp and the mountains. For the past years, those kinds of police sets would usually come out the year after the year when the regular police sets would be released. I'm not complaining, Lego. I'm just surprised. 

Please Lego, keep this system for City that you plan to do in 2021. I think I like it. Of course police and fire have to be released as they are the two jobs that help the City theme thrive. But it seems like they are being done in more of a tasteful manner in giving us what we didn't get last year - rather than just a plop out of the anus wave with over saturation of upgraded sets that we've got the previous year. The one I'm looking forward to seeing is the Police Prisoner Transport. Wouldn't it be an awesome plot twist where it turns out to be a prison bus instead of a van? I have yet to see one of those with City. C'mon Lego, don't let me down. By the way, I wonder what 60277 will be. I hope its a police boat with two hauls connected - like this year's divers ship. 

10 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Honestly, I've been hoping for nearly a decade to see LEGO introduce a customizable, tile-based road system like this! Removing the built-in margins that road baseplates have always included will make it much easier to use these alongside modular buildings or other builds that are meant to line up flush with the edge of the street.

I am open for such a new, more customizable road system and I see how it offers a lot of benefits, but I fear it will get expensive (starting with replacing the old road plates) and it bothers me the road level will be 2 plates high, higher than the pavement that comes with the modulars.

I wonder the 2021 modular building will have another base, like plates instead of the regular baseplate. I'm not sure it will happen as it would drive up the price of the set, without visual result. If they would change, I know how to use my free time by adapting the previous modulars to new standards!

3 hours ago, Wesley D said:

I wonder the 2021 modular building will have another base, like plates instead of the regular baseplate

I wouldn't mind this, as I've been planning to do that to my modulars for the past 5 years, but the price of the plates always put off 16x16 plate for Lego SaH last time i checked was £2.80, having 8 of these to create a 32x32 two plates thick would cost £22.40, which is quite a a bit. I'm sure if Lego did it it would be cheaper.

After seeing the images of it, it works well as it allows more detail, but the cost and size look to be issues for most people with cities.

Edited by siimonsayslego

12 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

According to stonewars.de all "My City" sets will have a piece of road included. Which unfortunately means, that for example the 60291 family house with 388 pieces will have even less pieces left for the house if a brickbuilt road is included. But we will see how that works out, if it's a driveway or just a piece of road in front of the house or both.

Edited by rzmpf

8 hours ago, siimonsayslego said:

I wouldn't mind this, as I've been planning to do that to my modulars for the past 5 years, but the price of the plates always put off 16x16 plate for Lego SaH last time i checked was £2.80, having 8 of these to create a 32x32 two plates thick would cost £22.40, which is quite a a bit. I'm sure if Lego did it it would be cheaper.

After seeing the images of it, it works well as it allows more detail, but the cost and size look to be issues for most people with cities.

Well, truth be told, you wouldn't need eight 16x16 plates to raise the modular buildings up like you describe. You could just use four 16x16 plates for the upper layer and then a grid of of smaller plates (like 2x16 plates) for the lower layer, with gaps in between. Sort of like how the floors and roofs of the modular buildings are often constructed. The render in my earlier post also illustrates one way you could raise the Modular Buildings up to be one plate higher than the street without changing out the bases at all.

But after I made that post, I actually got to thinking about whether it might actually be better to have the Modular Buildings' pavement tiles level with the street tiles (rather than one plate higher), so that the driveways of sets like Fire Brigade and Corner Garage connect smoothly to the street instead of having an unsightly drop. In that case, you'd have several options:

• Replace the Modular Buildings' baseplates with a layer of 16x16 plates. Easy-peasy, but might still get slightly expensive for a larger layout.
  • Lay out the new road segments on a standard baseplate, and then set the modular building baseplates on top of that baseplate. The extra layer of studs will lift the model up so the pavement is level with the street.
  • And of course, for a permanent display that you don't plan on rearranging a whole bunch… there's no reason you can't just stick the road tiles directly onto traditional baseplates, and just keep the leftover 8x16/16x16 plates to use in your own MOCs.

One way or another, it's nice to finally have options that are less of a chore than either entirely custom roads or workarounds for the old road baseplates' built-in margins. And anyway, thanks to the ramp pieces included in the intersection kit… it wouldn't even be too hard for AFOLs who already use road baseplates to continue using them in addition to the new road system!

after thinking about it and drawing up some plans, along with some STUDIO tests, I am actually starting to like this new idea for roads, I will probably switch to them depending on what the price is, and how expensive it would be to convert my modulars over to it..

8 minutes ago, TuffTuffTuff said:

No, those are only stud.io rebuilds that could be similar!

OH ok but we know what can be the set 60304 

Edited by Powered by Bricks