Powered by Bricks

Lego City 2021 Rumours, information and discussion

I don't know why, but I've got a feeling that Volcanoe Explorers won't have a comeback next year. I bet for Jungle. (Friends had Jungle this year, so City will follow next year - like it was in 2016/2017.) But perhaps it's only because I don't see any bonus of a new Volcanoe Explorers theme - all possible vehicles have been done and I can't imagine any new (moulds for) plants and animals which would be fitting and interesting in this theme. What do you think?

On 8/19/2020 at 9:28 PM, Powered by Bricks said:

The 4+ wave ruined some LEGO themes

Yes. It's esp. bad that when we get a list of sets and don't have a detailed set description or at the best pics of the set, nobody knows whether the set will be a 4+ set or not (it's only nearly for sure when the price is more than sixty Euros). So you're looking forward to a set and then you're totally disappointed when you see that it's a Juniors set - in my case this was with the garbage truck last year. BUT even the non-4+ sets get more and more like 4+ sets. I mean: Look at this year's police station or bank - they are only a bad joke and nothing more. It seems as if TLG puts more and more the focus on very young kids and designed many City sets this year for them.

41 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

I don't know why, but I've got a feeling that Volcanoe Explorers won't have a comeback next year. I bet for Jungle. (Friends had Jungle this year, so City will follow next year - like it was in 2016/2017.) But perhaps it's only because I don't see any bonus of a new Volcanoe Explorers theme - all possible vehicles have been done and I can't imagine any new (moulds for) plants and animals which would be fitting and interesting in this theme. What do you think?

Personally, I don't really approve of action outside of a city being in a city-related theme. But this theme is targeted towards children who are less critical of an arrangement than adults are along with out of the city action being more popular than action within the city. So I'm guessing that's why Lego does this. As far as volcano's comeback is concerned, I'm sure its going to return because this is what happened last time. I've actually been keeping track with the explorers subthemes and it always went like this.

• Arctic 
  • Space
  • Divers
  • Volcano
  • Jungle
  • Arctic 2
  • Space 2 (or 3 if you count the one from 2011) 
  • Divers 2

So my bets are that Volcano is going to comeback. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Having a look on your list it seems very likely, @Brandon Pea. Nevertheless it'll depend on how well a theme sold. And I had the impression that VE didn't do that well. Plus TLG has been releasing a minifigures pack every year from 2016 onwards, but now decided to not release a minifigures pack this year - surely because the ones last year didn't sell well. So ...

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

6 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Having a look on your list it seems very likely, @Brandon Pea. Nevertheless it'll depend on how well a theme sold. And I had the impression that VE didn't do that well. Plus TLG has been releasing a minifigures pack every year from 2016 onwards, but now decided to not release a minifigures pack this year - surely because the ones last year didn't sell well. So ...

Yeah! I'm saddened by there being no people pack this year! I was hoping it would be a people pack that would include only named minifigures from the series so we won't have to get a huge set in order to snag them. 

I had one more look at the park in 60271: Could it be that the Robin Hood statue is a hint for a Forest of Forest Expedition wave next year?

The reason this came to my mind is that TLG has included these "hints" already from time to time in the past years:

• "FAIR" poster in Downtown Fire Brigade in winter 2019 => Fun at the Fair People Pack in summer 2019
  • Snow Groomer in winter 2019 => Ski Resort in summer 2019
  • Diving Yacht in winter 2018 => Ocean Exploration sets in summer 2019
  • Rescue Helicopter in winter 2018 => Hospital in summer 2018
  • Cargo Terminal in summer 2017 => Trains sets in summer 2018
  • Volcanoe Exploration sets in summer 2016 => Jungle Exploration sets in summer 2017 (< a volcanoe is often surrounded by jungle)

Plus there have cross-overs between different subthemes and the same time or some time later:

• Elite Police sets in summer 2020 => museum in the city hall in Main Square in summer 2020
  • Arctic Exploration sets in summer 2018 => Ötzi statue in the museum in Capital City in 2018
  • "Beach Party" in the Bus Station in summer 2017 => Fun at the Beach People Pack in summer 2017
  • -"- => bank security truck and bank security container in Cargo Train in summer 2018
  • bank in Bulldozer Break-In in winter 2017 => bank security truck in Moutain River Heist in winter 2018

A Forest theme could be nice indeed.

Either could be research (animals like Deer, Lynx, Woodpecker etc) or Industrial.

LEGO has had logging in City sets before, so maybe a sawmill or paper factory type set could work if it were Industrial, even tho not exactly environmentally friendly, but honestly, neither is Gold Mining which was a LEGO city subtheme twice now.

And I'm talking commercial logging in pine tree forests here, not ancient forests or rainforests.

Paper bags for example still are more enviromentally friendly then plastic bags.

2018 had a Forest Tractor , and logs in the Cargo Train set , 2019 magazine had the same figure + log in a magazine gift.

60181-1.jpg?201710270718

Edited by TeriXeri

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

A Forest theme could be nice indeed.

Either could be research (animals like Deer, Lynx, Woodpecker etc) or Industrial.

Or it could be about exploring leftovers of ancient cultures like Middle Agesor Stone Age, with some ruins and trees and a lot of exploration vehicles - like @Brandon Pea proposed earlier.

4 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

LEGO has had logging in City sets before, so maybe a sawmill or paper factory type set could work if it were Industrial, even tho not exactly environmentally friendly, but honestly, neither is Gold Mining which was a LEGO city subtheme twice now.

And I'm talking commercial logging in pine tree forests here, not ancient forests or rainforests.

Yes, of course. I could even well imagine a cross-over between industrial and animal research which would offer diversity for adults and enough playability and action for kids:

• naturalist with moutainbike and otter's cave - 10 Euros
  • forester's offroad car with hunting stand and reindeer - 20 Euros
  • (wood) harvester, wood transport truck and wolf - 50 Euros
  • forester's hut, sawmill with small crane, wood transport barge and fox (new mould) - 100 Euros

And these could btw tie well the Ski Resort, the Winter Village sets and a possible City moutain rescue theme, too.

What do you think?

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

18 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:
  • naturalist with moutainbike and otter's cave - 10 Euros
  • forester's offroad car with hunting stand and reindeer - 20 Euros
  • (wood) harvester, wood transport truck and wolf - 50 Euros
  • forester's hut, sawmill with small crane, wood transport barge and fox (new mould) - 100 Euros

These would be an excellent way to get lots of new animal molds!

1 hour ago, LegoManiac25 said:

I would like to see a TV Subtheme. 

Sets:

TV Broadcast Van

TV News Broadcast Center

TV Traffic Helicopter

TV People Pack.

Now that would be something I'd pay for. 

6 hours ago, LegoManiac25 said:

Sets:

TV Broadcast Van

TV News Broadcast Center

TV Traffic Helicopter

TV People Pack.

There was talk of it last year so maybe just maybe 

7 hours ago, LegoManiac25 said:

Sets:

TV Broadcast Van

TV News Broadcast Center

TV Traffic Helicopter

TV People Pack.

Somewhere in the Ideas for City sets thread, I posted something like that

Each set could be a differente style of TV show: News, kids morning show, Sci movie/TV show, ....

I really want them to bring back Studios :sadnew:

8 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

There was talk of it last year so maybe just maybe 

It's unlikely to have all of them, but perhaps we will get at least one of them...

4 hours ago, Legocitycustoms said:

No news on new Speed Champion sets, anybody knows what's going on ?

Is the theme dead ?

Also, will they stop making 6 wide cars ?

The theme isn't dead, and I'm sure more Speed Champion sets will follow next year. (They're usually announced in December)

And yes, I believe they will stop making 6 wide cars. 8 wide cars are more accurate anyways.

3 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

It's unlikely to have all of them, but perhaps we will get at least one of them...

I hope the TV station is that one set. 

4 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

I hope the TV station is that one set. 

Me too...

21 hours ago, LegoManiac25 said:

Sets:

TV Broadcast Van

TV News Broadcast Center

TV Traffic Helicopter

TV People Pack.

I’ve been cobbling together a news crew for my city. Right now my plan is to change the recording studio in the top floor of the Downtown Diner into a radio station, and wait until next time they do a ‘police mobile base’ and convert that into a news truck.

Also apparently there’s going to be a new kind of road plate, according to Promobricks?

On 8/18/2020 at 3:56 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Please let there be a road rescue revival. The tuning shop was good and all, but not as good as this garage. Though considering today's standards of Lego buildings, it can't use baseplates. 

I wish they would bring back baseplates...they fit cities so well. also, did anyone else wish they had that city in the LEGO commercials?

51 minutes ago, BrickfordCityFire said:

I wish they would bring back baseplates...they fit cities so well. also, did anyone else wish they had that city in the LEGO commercials?

Old City commercials were the best. That was the golden age there. 

1 hour ago, toopizza13 said:

now technic 2021 has been leaked, im going to say 2021 city could be leaked any day

The 2021 City wave better not be disappointing. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

19 hours ago, BrickfordCityFire said:

Ikr? Everything about it makes so much sense!

Baseplates still exist, just that larger City sets been mostly sprawling smaller builds now.

Road Plates, 48x48 Grey, and 32x32 (bright)Green/White/Blue are still available.

Of course selling Tan, and Light/Dark grey 32x32 plates would be nice.

But I don't really miss baseplates in sets, back in the old days there were no 8x8 , 8x16 , or 16x16 regular plates.

I understand LEGO puts baseplates in sets that fully use them, but they don't really make much sense in a smaller set, and City sets are already pretty bad price ratio at times.

Still, to fit in the discussion of 2021, the 60236 Straight & T-junction and 60237 Curves & Crossroad are on the "maybe retiring" lists, personally I wouldn't mind an entirely new design. 

Edited by TeriXeri