Not really digging any of the sets in particular. My favorite sets are probably either the Nya dragon or the Kai dragon, but given their price I probably won't be buying either of them. I am glad we got an updated 2011 Dragon head, I was really surprised they went to extra mile and did that. I don't care much for the figures either, except for Kalmaar, which I might get separately from Bricklink if he isn't too expensive. The rest of the sets are a big meh from me.

Lloyd's Mech is not a bad set for 20$, but the design looks really awkward with that huge shoulder armor that makes no sense. 

Jay's Car almost looks like it was copy-pasted from the 2015 Jay Car, very boring and unoriginal. 

I don't know why everyone likes the Temple of the Endless Sea so much, it looks like just a bunch of random smaller builds thrown together IMO.

The Hydro Bounty is way too expensive, and while it has a unique shape, its just another vehicle that doesn't do much to stand out from the crowd. 

Ultra Sonic Raider looks awful, the 2012 and 2016 were much better. 

Overall, a pretty mediocre wave, this feels like a big missed opportunity for me. They could have went all out with an Underwater wave and make it stand among the ranks of Aqua Zone and Atlantis, but the end result is pretty lame IMO. The fact that they decided to cut corners and just recycle the Snake villains from the 2019 wave makes it even more painful. There is so much you can do with the concept of Ninjas going underwater, but sadly, they seem to have just done the bare minimum. 

I collect Ninjago because of the show and how the sets reflect the show.

The glaring omissions for me:

A small street corner set in the $20 to $30 range with Antonia and Nelson on their bikes.

Gripe and Maya given their screen time.

Miss Demeanor, though I don't think we've seen the last of her.

20 minutes ago, bricksnator said:

I collect Ninjago because of the show and how the sets reflect the show.

The glaring omissions for me:

A small street corner set in the $20 to $30 range with Antonia and Nelson on their bikes.

Gripe and Maya given their screen time.

Miss Demeanor, though I don't think we've seen the last of her.

Well if you collect the Ninjago sets based on how they reflect the show, I hate to break it to you but usually the sets have little to no accuracy to the show besides the vehicles. As far as I am aware, the show and the sets are developed separately at the same time, so none of them is exactly based off the other.

53 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Not really digging any of the sets in particular. My favorite sets are probably either the Nya dragon or the Kai dragon, but given their price I probably won't be buying either of them. I am glad we got an updated 2011 Dragon head, I was really surprised they went to extra mile and did that. I don't care much for the figures either, except for Kalmaar, which I might get separately from Bricklink if he isn't too expensive. The rest of the sets are a big meh from me.

Lloyd's Mech is not a bad set for 20$, but the design looks really awkward with that huge shoulder armor that makes no sense. 

Jay's Car almost looks like it was copy-pasted from the 2015 Jay Car, very boring and unoriginal. 

I don't know why everyone likes the Temple of the Endless Sea so much, it looks like just a bunch of random smaller builds thrown together IMO.

The Hydro Bounty is way too expensive, and while it has a unique shape, its just another vehicle that doesn't do much to stand out from the crowd. 

Ultra Sonic Raider looks awful, the 2012 and 2016 were much better. 

Overall, a pretty mediocre wave, this feels like a big missed opportunity for me. They could have went all out with an Underwater wave and make it stand among the ranks of Aqua Zone and Atlantis, but the end result is pretty lame IMO. The fact that they decided to cut corners and just recycle the Snake villains from the 2019 wave makes it even more painful. There is so much you can do with the concept of Ninjas going underwater, but sadly, they seem to have just done the bare minimum. 

No offense but: do you really like Ninjago? I mean, the sets and the theme in general. Because yes the sets are a little overpriced but I see quality in most of the wave. 

1 minute ago, Lego David said:

Well if you collect the Ninjago sets based on how they reflect the show, I hate to break it to you but usually the sets have little to no accuracy to the show besides the vehicles. As far as I am aware, the show and the sets are developed separately at the same time, so none of them is exactly based off the other.

That isn't necessarily true. Besides the vehicles, the dragons and a lot of the temples are very similar to the ones from the show. The only exception I remember now is the Ice Fortress. About the missing characters as minifigures, I recall hearing that the design team tries to include as many side characters as they can but unfortanetely it seems the younger and more casual consumers don't recognize them so sadly they don't include them. 

I do think it's a shame that the temple isn't one cohesive whole. I liked the idea when I heard of the title, but it's nothing like what I expected based on some of the previous Ninjago buildings. Just seems to be a missed opportunity to create something spectacular in a different setting. 

55 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Obviously, but the sets are still for the most part a reflection of the show.

6 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

Hide contents

Now that Nya bit the dust 

Spoiler

technically she's still alive; it's a bit like dr manhattan from watchmen and his relationship to humanity

disappointed by most of these sets for sure, but that was true even before their official images; i like how they look though. temple looks decent with some issues and a nice benthomaar figure, hydro bounty is solid with the small issue of being a little overpriced, water dragon is phenomenal etc. small problems with the fire dragon but overall i like the effort to make it look organic and with a couple mods it'll fit right in, whereas the raider is eh but it's not like it's ever been a particularly good design to start with. on the smaller side, jay car isn't really neat and hydro mech is fine at best.

sucks that we didn't get more aquatic stuff tho: a bigger manta ray with scuba nya and scuba kai for $40 or $50 would've been nice but it is what it is

Not sure if I'll get the Water Dragon or not. As I could just bricklink NRG Nya. As I really don't have a place to display the dragon.

I will have to update my Nya minifigure display for these 3 new figs + The Future one.

Some of my thoughts-

Fire dragon looks great! Figs suck (other than Nya), but very excited to pick it up

Prob just gonna get the temple from seabound, and maybe the bounty, thought I might just get the figs separately.

Kinda odd that Nya's scuba suit is only in one set, and her other form is in 2, would have expected it to be the other way around

Also still not compelely convinced by the raider, it looks way to short, the new snake is nice

I'm happy with Wojira, it reminds me of the great devourer (both in build and accuracy lol)

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

Really wondering how the Hydro Bounty "doesn't do much to stand out from the crowd" when it's the first large submarine Ninjago has had (and for that matter, a largely tube-shaped submarine, common in real life but comparatively rare in Lego, even for underwater themes). I'd argue that the opening vehicle bay (which can store the two mini-subs from the set or, presumably, any two of the similar mini-subs from the others) is also a really distinctive feature. For that matter, the aesthetic it has is pretty distinctive compared to pretty much any other Ninjago set—almost a little more art-deco, with sharp angles, ornate gold trim, and a really classy white, black, and tan color scheme.

I love the use of the new Space Shuttle bay doors for the vehicle bay, which I'd been hoping would appear in a transparent color like this since I saw them in reviews. I'm kind of tempted to try extending the ship further to fit more of the mini-subs, though if I stretched it enough to fit all six it would probably start to look a little ridiculous.

The underwater sets turned out pretty great overall. Lloyd's mech is the only real disappointment. The Hydro Bounty sub has to be my favorite, so cool! The aqua dragon is a close 2nd and the Atlantis-esque ruins are really great too. Jay's "James Bond" car is pretty sleak and I like some of the techniques. The Legacy sets this time around are awful. Kai's dragon looks like a meme, not an actual set. Who thought those arms were okay? I get wanting to give him bigger wings but those arms are a joke. The head seems too small and the tip of the tail is pathetic. The Ultra Sonic Raider is just okay, I never liked that vehicle so definitely not for me.

Edited by ToaDraco

So after taking a better look:

Hydro-submarine:

I really like that it can fit the small submarines. I think they used all the space possible. Also the vessel fits two large craits and has some clips. Pretty impressive! So it should be able to instead put 1-2 bunk beds, technical area, common room instead if wanted. I think the best way would be to get two of the sets and double up the submarine area, creat another section behind them and in front with aditional detail - like the mentioned rooms and facilities.

Then, if you simply remove some of the more useless elements (mostly just the blades) it would become a pretty realistic sci-fi submarine. Or space ship with the ability to launch small fighters. Now when did we ever get something like this? It's pretty cool!

I have to see if I get though - my OCD is being triggered by the asymmetry due to the large space ship-Discovery panels (hinges on one side, studs on the other).

water dragon:

the usual dragon issues like not organic enough, colour-fixed joint pieces etc. But I think they did a pretty good job, blending the dark grey in! Also it's quite unique overall, instead of being a repeat. I really like how they try to make almost any dragon it's own thing. It's also a great way to get most things you need already: amulet, water-Nya, main villain, henchman and one of the diving suits, including the new belt element.

overall a good looking dragon; profits also from the head-molds.

wojira/temple:

unlike many people said: ninjago is full of non-accurate, useless but good looking location based thingies. My hint to you: sort them by colour and then moc them all into your own asian buildings. I combined some half-built and useless structures and they look pretty good now. Plus I dont have all of thes random small structures lying around anymore! It's for sure hard to make it right as a designer. Because playability is better if theres many small things - but if they had foccused all ressources on one structure and Wohira, for sure it would have been much more impressive.

Overall though the builds do look good and pretty unique. You gotta compliment the designers for comming up everytime with new colour combinations and ways to build asian architecture.
Wojira: looks great on display but not as good as it could have. And heck, no posability or play value there. I'm sorry but also here I have to be defending the designer: more pieces, build would be better. But being required to do so many side builds - it's for sure the best they could have done. Good thing is that it could for sure easily be modified. But yeah, it should have at least been a bit better to create this big-bad snake. It's also simply too small I think.

fire dragon:

I had no interest other then in Nya's hair piece. But heck, it's the best looking set! I'm annoyed there's yet another big red dragon but like with Nya's blue dragon (we had just too many blue, white and red dragons) it has many unique and well executed aspects! Just the figures suck completely; I would literally throw them away because I cannot see another legacy Kai/Jay/Zane. Cole's suit at least can be used for more generic figures.

the driver thingy:

Its just not for me and for sure its good for what it wants to be BUT: the old "legacy" version, of day of the departed was soooo much better. Only the wings here are pretty cool. And heck; again the figures are sooo boring. I dont understand why they dont at least feature the hairpieces instead of masks in one of those legacy sets! It's soo boring!

Overall I don't understand the complaining (well except for the increased prices..). The wave has many unique things; next to weird oversized cars, the hydro bounty is much more unique and much better build then many sets were before. And unlike the landbounty its for sure much more useful in many scenarios. And yes, it should be able to be modified quite easily! I'm so glad the middle section isn't just used for structure. In fact I have no idea how the build can even be stable without some technic stuf going through the middle!

Ok I love love LOVE Nya’s water dragon. It looks very elemental but is also much more naturalistic and flowing compared to the early Ninjago dragons: comparing it to the 2011/12 dragons is night and day for me, my personsal preference is for less-stylised dragons. 

I’m also really chuffed that Nya’s water form comes in this set, I think that’s my joint-favourite figure to come out of Ninjago (tying with the Overlord) 

Edited by Darth Shadowthrone

Hydro Bounty is just no for me (It cost a leg man) I'm getting a nice small set, maybe that Sub Speeder... I honestly don't have much care for the NRG Nya figure as a *Man* here lol, I'm not really a collector 

Also, I'm just confused with Seabound and the sets, it's NRG Nya's hair, why on earth do the minifigures have S14 hairpieces *still* and decided to give NRG Nya one when she literally never even had a headband on her hair in the ending of Seabound?? It's even on the box art lol, I'm not saying it's bad or anything. I'm just not getting the point of these S14 pieces... maybe since it's a wave, they want the hair to be the same lol as of S14? I'm getting  bored of these S14 hairpieces *sigh* 

Benthomaar looks nice though, I wish Gripe had a figure though...

Just caught up with the season and sets. Feels churlish to complain about either, both the creativity and drama are top notch.

Not going to repeat what many have commented on, only to add just the following:

- Kalmaar’s chariot (with HB set) and that recoloured/printed stingray :wub:

- No Ripper sharks booo... :hmpf_bad:

27 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Just caught up with the season and sets. Feels churlish to complain about either, both the creativity and drama are top notch.

Not going to repeat what many have commented on, only to add just the following:

- Kalmaar’s chariot (with HB set) and that recoloured/printed stingray :wub:

- No Ripper sharks booo... :hmpf_bad:

Yeah, they just didn't have enough time

1 hour ago, FrostyPlayZa said:

I honestly don't have much care for the NRG Nya figure as a *Man* here lol

???

My overall opinion on the wave is pretty positive. I see a lot of people complaining about prices, but in my eyes, the sets in this wave still give an excellent value and Ninjago is still the Lego theme that gives you the best value for your money. I even like the new Legacy sets better than I did with the prelims. 

-The Juniors sets obviously aren’t anything to write home about, though the Kai motorcycle actually looks like a pretty decent build.

-Kai’s Fire Dragon and the Ultra Sonic Raider are pleasant surprises. The build for the Fire Dragon is different from Firstbourne for me to justify it, though the minifigure selection is incredibly weak besides Golden Nya. The Ultra Sonic Raider is still kinda weird looking but it’s still a decent build. I think it’s weird that this set comes with Golden Zane and regular Zane, which happened with the Anniversary Harry Potter sets too. I honestly hope these are the last sets to come with the Legacy 1 figures though; I think we are all sick of them at this point and Kai has officially came in 17 sets now.

-Lloyd’s Hydro Mech is a nice enough looking mech. I haven’t decided whether or not I’ll pick it up yet.

-Ninja Sub Speeder is a mediocre retread of the Jay Walker One, which is one of my least favorite Jay vehicles. An easy pass for me personally.

-The Water Dragon, however, is absolutely gorgeous. There’s not a stud (haha) in sight on the entire build and the build is so wonderfully shaped. The minifigure selection is pretty good and NRG Nya is already one of my favorite Ninjago figures yet. Easily one of the sets I’m most excited for this summer.

-Temple of the Endless Sea is probably the only set that I like less now that I’m seeing official pictures. It still looks good, don’t get me wrong, but I’m a little less impressed by the build. It’s still a unique Ninjago temple and I love Ninjago playsets, so I’ll most likely still pick it up.

-The Hydro Bounty looks really good! I appreciate that it comes with all of the ninja and even more minifigures on top of that. I also love that manta ray chariot! I’ll try to pick this set up this summer but might end up waiting on it.

Overall, a pretty good wave! I’m looking forward to seeing what comes next, especially based off what I’ve heard happens in Seabound. 

2 hours ago, FrostyPlayZa said:

Also, I'm just confused with Seabound and the sets, it's NRG Nya's hair, why on earth do the minifigures have S14 hairpieces *still* and decided to give NRG Nya one when she literally never even had a headband on her hair in the ending of Seabound?? It's even on the box art lol, I'm not saying it's bad or anything. I'm just not getting the point of these S14 pieces... maybe since it's a wave, they want the hair to be the same lol as of S14? I'm getting  bored of these S14 hairpieces *sigh* 

It’s just another way for lego to reuse the new molds they made for the hair pieces

5 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

fire dragon:

I had no interest other then in Nya's hair piece. But heck, it's the best looking set! I'm annoyed there's yet another big red dragon but like with Nya's blue dragon (we had just too many blue, white and red dragons) it has many unique and well executed aspects! Just the figures suck completely; I would literally throw them away because I cannot see another legacy Kai/Jay/Zane. Cole's suit at least can be used for more generic figures.

That's a little funny: i'm pretty sure jay and lloyd have had the most dragons whereas kai and zane have had 2 dragons each (including now; firstbourne counts as far as red dragons but then that's 3 compared to jay or lloyd's 4 and the various other ones). If ultra counts here it's somewhat differentiated in texturing but really this just screams out that we could use some earthy dragons if anything

That Water Dragon may very well be my favorite brick built dragon from any theme so far.  That thing is a work of art.

The Fire Dragon while not quite as good, is still far superior to most Ninjago dragons.

The Nautilus Submarine Bounty looks really cool.

I love the Atlantis city and snake monster too.  That color scheme used for the snake enemies is fantastic.  Drop the ninjas in the spare bin and this is a fantastic Atlantis wave.  :moar:

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Really wondering how the Hydro Bounty "doesn't do much to stand out from the crowd" when it's the first large submarine Ninjago has had (and for that matter, a largely tube-shaped submarine, common in real life but comparatively rare in Lego, even for underwater themes). I'd argue that the opening vehicle bay (which can store the two mini-subs from the set or, presumably, any two of the similar mini-subs from the others) is also a really distinctive feature. For that matter, the aesthetic it has is pretty distinctive compared to pretty much any other Ninjago set—almost a little more art-deco, with sharp angles, ornate gold trim, and a really classy white, black, and tan color scheme.

Yeah, maybe I exaggerated my comment a bit, sorry about that. On a second thought, it does stand out as a Ninjago vehicle, but still, the design doesn't particularly resonate with me personally.

Just my two cents on a few of the new sets.

71750 Lloyd's Hydro Mech
I like the asymmetrical design o fit and another colour scheme than the average yellow for an underwater mech is nice.   But I do not think that I will buy it. Mostly because I have already a few mechs and even those I do not use much.

71753 Kai’s Fire Dragon
I like the idea of an updated version of the fire dragon, and I have hoped that I would like the official pictures. But I do not like the proportions of the body therefore I will probably not buy it.

71754 Water Dragon
I really like the official pictures of the water dragon. With the more muscular head I head a picture in my head where Nya is asking Jay: “Do you think that I’m now looking like a beautiful SCHMETTERLING?” I’m not sure if I will pick the dragon up, but mostly because I maybe will not have enough space to store it.

71755 Temple of the Endless Sea
I do not like the temple. I can see what the designer were intended to do, but I think that whether Wojira nor the temple buildings are a proper representation of the show’s equivalents. I would have liked to see a full Wojira or a full temple build. But I like the selection of minifigures. Especially Benthomaar is great, but I also like the Glutinous minifigure, but I would have like him more with the monocle on his eye.

71756 Hydro Bounty
This is definitely the best set of the wave for me. I love everything on it. The design, the colour scheme. The Bounty gives me a strong FXG / Jules Verne vibe. We get also all the ninja in the set. The submarine pods can be stored inside the bounty which I really like. But I do not know if I will store them there. Maybe I will remove them and build a bedroom, laboratory, and kitchen inside for more playability. I also love the manta carriage with Kalmaar(i).

Overall, I really like this season's sets, even when the prices have been increased. But in the end, I will probably only buy the Bounty and maybe the Water Dragon but mostly because I do not have enough space for all the sets.

Edited by Nemo Eisenfaust