I am not in any way freaking out over it, but the lack of accessibility is disappointing. Obviously, it's a toy so it doesn't have a million things that a real city should, but none of them are needed for the illusion of the city on a superficial toy-like level. Accessibility is, since even while we were still building stuff in the sand pit "how they gonna get there" played a big role.

Also, critique does not in any way undermine the work put in and can only make future work better if it reaches the right ears or perhaps makes enough people realize that something was missing that they weren't even aware that they were missing.

Things are allowed and more than welcome to be 90% amazing and 10% shitty.

Without a critical mindset, we might as well throw our hands in the air and accept whatever low quality sets Lego would theoretically throw at us because, hey, we might not be getting anything at all and should be grateful for what we have, since it's technically the truth.

Honestly, I think criticising people who give their opinion on a new set on a forum specifically designed for that very purpose is somewhat strange, although I can sympathise with the idea that some people are perhaps overly harsh about certain very specific features. Then again, we are adults buying toys and it makes sense that all of us are looking for something else from these toys. 

7 hours ago, BraveMax said:

I'm definitely not wading into the accessibility argument - y'all are getting way too personal with that. Some people don't like it, and that's fine. Some people don't care, and that's also fine.

I think, for me, what the lack of access is indicative of is the level of thought put into the set. It's not about blindly forcing ladders and things into it to allow access for minifigs who don't need them anyways, it's about the level of intentionality that *having that* in NC demonstrated on the part of the set's designer. The original NC was a masterpiece - every section of it had something new and interesting. Fun mechanics and interesting build techniques, very little repetition of shape, great detailing, and everything tied together into a cohesive whole. The docks seemed like an afterthought - like they'd had some ideas that didn't make it into the city, and so they created an add-on to house them - but it also had a strikingly different layout and feel to it, and added some additional fun mechanics. Plus it integrated perfectly with NC.

Compared to NC, NCG feels more similar to the docks - like the designer came up with an overall shape (essentially the same shape as NC, but with a tree in the middle!), and then came up with rooms/buildings to flesh out that shape without much thought for how they all worked together. Each individual piece is nice (Not arguing at all that the designer isn't good at his job!), but a few of them feel like a rehash of locations we'd already gotten in the previous two sets, and they aren't tied together as well as the locations in the first two were. I'm 100% happy to get a few more locations from the show (Mr. Chen's, the Museum, etc.), and again: I purchased the set on day 1 and am glad to (soon) own it. I'm just not as excited about it as I was about the first two, and I think I would have been had the set felt more intentional as a whole.

As for those bashing people expressing negative opinions about the set... Well, I'd hope we can all agree to avoid personal attacks, and perhaps to stay away from absolutes. I haven't seen anyone say the set sucks, nor have I seen anyone say there's nothing wrong with it. That means there's room to discuss both the good and bad aspects!

This opinion nicely puts my feelings into words: great set, day 1 buy, but a bit less brilliant than Ninjago City (which happens to be my all time favourite Lego set). 

Just to add a bit on the accessibility. The second level is accessible...by putting it next to City(Gardens on the left, City middle, Docks on the right). The staircase on the Docks connects the second level of City to Docks. It does the same with City & Gardens. And looks pretty cool as one large wrapping pathway.

That still leaves the mystery of Christina’s apartment though...:shrug_oh_well:

I agree with the fact that ninja bases shouldn’t have access, it’s for ninjas, but I think we all have the same problem here and we all are complaining about it, and it just brings a wave of negativity. We can all agree that it’s an amazing set, but we all have our problems. Nothing is perfect. Can we just end all the crap about access here? I get it, some people are gonna go on. I myself did go on about a bit, and I’m not too proud of it. As the other guys said, we are not gonna change a single thing. Let’s just talk about the positives, like the fact the bonsai tree on the island on the 32x32 section used wolverine claws in green? The unikitty tails in flame yellowish orange? Anybody else seen some NPU in the gardens? Also has anyone in the UK received any news of there delivery? I’ve had the confirmation email (thank god) but my friend ordered zanes Titan mech set on the 1st, and it’s been shipped for about a week now. I’m not expecting to see these sets for a while now. Has anyone actually got the set in hand here yet?

1 hour ago, Maartenh said:

Honestly, I think criticising people who give their opinion on a new set on a forum specifically designed for that very purpose is somewhat strange, although I can sympathise with the idea that some people are perhaps overly harsh about certain very specific features. Then again, we are adults buying toys and it makes sense that all of us are looking for something else from these toys. 

There's a big difference between discussing the flaws in a set or focusing on a single flaw and talking about that for days on end.

Just now, a guy from somewhere said:

Also has anyone in the UK received any news of there delivery? I’ve had the confirmation email (thank god) but my friend ordered zanes Titan mech set on the 1st, and it’s been shipped for about a week now. I’m not expecting to see these sets for a while now. Has anyone actually got the set in hand here yet?

You're probably gonna have to wait a while. The Brexit really complicated things when it comes to international deliveries.

49 minutes ago, Guyon2002 said:

You're probably gonna have to wait a while. The Brexit really complicated things when it comes to international deliveries.

It hasn’t really, just added to the paperwork. DPD appears back up and running and I’ve received 2 orders from LEGO since Jan 1st, with the Spring Lantern Festival now en route (back order).

Yes my NCG order still in warehouse but I’m ok with that as it was only last Thursday and it’s now just Monday. Imagine it will ship later this week. Time right now has really slowed down so the perception everything is taking a lot longer seems exaggerated.

Just now, Lucarex said:

It hasn’t really, just added to the paperwork. DPD appears back up and running and I’ve received 2 orders from LEGO since Jan 1st, with the Spring Lantern Festival now en route (back order).

Yes my NCG order still in warehouse but I’m ok with that as it was only last Thursday and it’s now just Monday. Imagine it will ship later this week. Time right now has really slowed down so the perception everything is taking a lot longer seems exaggerated.

Last Thursday? It feels like its been months. Wow. Ok, I'm fine with the delivery times now, there's bound to be delays. But it was only last Thursday? it legit feels like its been weeks! Oh well. Looking forward to this incredible set! Its amazing!

Edited by a guy from somewhere

I was just reading the designer notes on the jungle bike, apparently the source or inspiration was the halo warthog, and apparently it’s god suspension? He says it’s the same design as the jungle raider from last year. Very interesting. Here’s the extract: 

The Halo warthog was definitely a source of inspiration in both color and design language, since it felt like it captured the rugged, all-terrain look we were striving for. The suspension was a challenge to integrate with the detachable surfboard/flier, but ended up being solved by borrowing Freddy Charters' brilliant solution in 71700.

18 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Nope, the Ninja Control Tower is connected to the street level by a ladder next to the swappable billboards on the back (which includes a gear to lower it). The only truly inaccessible part of the set is Christina's "Ninja Fan" apartment (the brown and tan "Old World" building on the far left) — and the issue there isn't just some need for ninja-level athletics to reach it, but that it has no door!

There is an opening in the floor of Christina's apartment to the kitchen below (next to the angled window), which seems to be the intended way of entering. I agree that a rope or something along those lines might have improved that, though.

Edited by Lyichir

Among all of this talk of inaccessibility, remember there was no way to get to the elevator from the bottom floor of the original NC.

Just now, turk187 said:

Among all of this talk of inaccessibility, remember there was no way to get to the elevator from the bottom floor of the original NC.

Yes, but you could connect it to the docks or any other custom module to give access, you cant do that to the gardens apartment. Can we stop going on about it please? the fact is, the set has some poor accessibility but I do believe the decision was made for looks over access. And as much as I don't like having access, I think its worth it. It looks good.

32 minutes ago, a guy from somewhere said:

Yes, but you could connect it to the docks or any other custom module to give access, you cant do that to the gardens apartment. Can we stop going on about it please? the fact is, the set has some poor accessibility but I do believe the decision was made for looks over access. And as much as I don't like having access, I think its worth it. It looks good.

I agree with you, we should drop this. Its a great set with a few little issues. We should move on. I was just pointing out that the original NC set had issues too, and its no big deal.

Looks like my delivery expectations are being “managed” on my release day order  :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for your recent LEGO® order.

We know you’re waiting for it to arrive on your doorstep and the good news is it’s now reached our warehouse team. We wanted to let you know that our warehouse teams are following additional safety guidelines and we’re receiving a high volume of orders.

We’re working hard to get your delivery to you as quickly as possible and you’ll receive another email once your order’s left our warehouse.

The following products will be shipped soon:

40416 Ice Skating Rink V29

71741 NINJAGO® City Gardens V29

Thanks again for your order and we hope you have fun building!

9 minutes ago, BraveMax said:

Just received my GWP skating rink! ... The Gardens apparently shipped separately. ?

That makes sense. All the boxes I’ve seen the gardens in have had no extra packaging or anything, it’s just the gardens sets in a brown box. No cushioning. Putting a GWO in there would mean you would have to add extra packaging I guess?

Mine has a delivery date of 1/23 which is this Saturday, and I will be out of town all day. I'm going to Houston. I'll visit the Galleria Lego Store while I'm there, which means the NC Gardens I build on Sunday will be the 2nd on I buy.

1 hour ago, turk187 said:

Mine has a delivery date of 1/23 which is this Saturday, and I will be out of town all day. I'm going to Houston. I'll visit the Galleria Lego Store while I'm there, which means the NC Gardens I build on Sunday will be the 2nd on I buy.

Any reason for getting two?

Seeing this and Ninjago City together, I'm thinking that they really need something shorter between then too separate the towers. But with the Docks so expensive now, I wondered whether to Bricklink them. Of course, that's even more expensive than buying the set, about $650 without minifigures, but you get about a third of the pieces you need from the Gardens set. I have another third, roughly, in my random parts collection. So either Bricklink the rest of MOC something with other parts from the Gardens. Then the whole thing becomes an excellent display set for my Zoom background, and fun for my four year old.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:56 AM, Modal said:

How much do exclusive minifigures for big D2C sets usually go for? Honestly don’t have that much use for Golden Wu, as I’m not a typical Ninjago fan and honestly prefer just normal civilian minifigures to fill out the city. May be a way to help cover cost for the set lol

I’m late to this thread so I’m only this far into it so far.  I occasionally peruse ebay for a chuckle. Just did it right now and I’m beyond even chuckling. What are people thinking?  I see completed sales (not just offers, but they actually sold) for just the golden Wu for $75, and even one for $99!     And multiple completed sales of the minifigs EXCEPT for Wu for $160. 

How in the world does this happen? I can buy the set right now online from Lego and get it for $300 with free shipping. Is this driven by blood in the water feeding frenzy? People in countries who can’t order from Lego right now? An extreme case of the gotta have its?

Simply amazing 

3 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Any reason for getting two?

Seeing this and Ninjago City together, I'm thinking that they really need something shorter between then too separate the towers. But with the Docks so expensive now, I wondered whether to Bricklink them. Of course, that's even more expensive than buying the set, about $650 without minifigures, but you get about a third of the pieces you need from the Gardens set. I have another third, roughly, in my random parts collection. So either Bricklink the rest of MOC something with other parts from the Gardens. Then the whole thing becomes an excellent display set for my Zoom background, and fun for my four year old.

I bought 2 NC sets and made one as a mirror of the first. I was already thinking of doing something like that with the Gardens. Right now the Master Wu figure is SELLING for $80 on eBay (not offered, actually selling for that) and the rest of the figures as a set are going for 100-150$ I don't have enough water tiles for another NC section and this set has about $80 worth. IF I can get 200$ for master Wu and the other minis then another NC Gardens is a great deal for parts. 

2 hours ago, chezzymann said:

My biggest criticism is how the layout is essentially the same as ninjago city but with a gap in the middle instead of the side. Could have been more imaginative. I would have preferred a straight section like this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ab/ea/9c/abea9cb50b37ae0e587afeb3023262a3.jpg

I tried building a middle section and it just looked boring to me. This one is better than mine, but I still like the corner set better. I'm working on an inside corner piece right now to join the two sets at an angle.

3 minutes ago, Chmashdehjare said:

I’m late to this thread so I’m only this far into it so far.  I occasionally peruse ebay for a chuckle. Just did it right now and I’m beyond even chuckling. What are people thinking?  I see completed sales (not just offers, but they actually sold) for just the golden Wu for $75, and even one for $99!     And multiple completed sales of the minifigs EXCEPT for Wu for $160. 

How in the world does this happen? I can buy the set right now online from Lego and get it for $300 with free shipping. Is this driven by blood in the water feeding frenzy? People in countries who can’t order from Lego right now? An extreme case of the gotta have its?

Simply amazing 

I look at eBay prices and wonder this stuff myself. I see in-production sets being offered for 2x MSRP and wonder what the hell is going on.

14 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

mines still in the warehouse :sceptic:

After dithering I ordered mine on the evening of release day, when it was on backorder till Jan 29th. Saw it was "in warehouse" the day after, where it remains now. Not sure if this is usual with backorders but hey, guess everything is a little chaotic at the mo. Still, fingers crossed. Plus this gives me a little time to figure out how I'm going to own up to this with my partner before it arrives!

One of the people who got the new sets showed off the keepers village, it’s quite good! Spacious inside, a jail cell which can be escaped from through the dragons mouth, a detailed jungle section, and a good throne for the chief.