Sorry to derail the Gardens discussion, but I just watched Jang’s review of the Tournament of Elements. And they reused Jack’s face from Hidden Side for Bolobo. That’s just lazy. -,-

1 minute ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Sorry to derail the Gardens discussion, but I just watched Jang’s review of the Tournament of Elements. And they reused Jack’s face from Hidden Side for Bolobo. That’s just lazy. -,-

Most of his face is covered up by his hair/beard, there really isn't any reason to give him a new faceprint. Would've been nice if he did have one but this really isn't a big deal. 

13 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

The “unhinged” aspect to me actually suggests it went through less development than City

The designer admits the set did not go through very many changes other than refinement, so I can see that.

14 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

I also think the Pagoda island is poorly executed as a modular side build and would have been far better incorporated on the rear of the main baseplate,

I feel like incorporating the pagoda in the rear would've left it unseen, like the harbor of the Docks, but I do like the idea of a pagoda being a centerpiece. Reminds me of this MOC by Galaktek.

Ninjago City: Pagoda Park

1 hour ago, Cocoa said:

I think the distribution of the details and the type of details is what is better with the Gardens for me. I do think NC is an unrivaled set when you consider when it was released. However, the way things are done on the Gardens feels more "in your face" with the details, which I really enjoy. Ninjago City reminds me of a mall or resort, where the product is wowing, but the distribution is clearly calculated. The Gardens feels unhinged like an eastern Cyberpunk city, with its garish, high-contrast colors, clashing architectural styles, and incorporation of botanical nature. It's really up to you which aesthetic you enjoy more.

Just to be clear: I don't think many here are saying we dislike the set entirely (I stayed up until 1 am, then woke up at 7 to ensure I could purchase it!), and I 100% agree that everything about this is subjective. Just trying to "think out loud" about why the set just doesn't feel as epic to me, personally, as the City! Definitely helps to have others add their perspective to what I'm thinking!

Just now, BraveMax said:

Just to be clear: I don't think many here are saying we dislike the set entirely (I stayed up until 1 am, then woke up at 7 to ensure I could purchase it!), and I 100% agree that everything about this is subjective. Just trying to "think out loud" about why the set just doesn't feel as epic to me, personally, as the City! Definitely helps to have others add their perspective to what I'm thinking!

I'm pretty sure what almost everyone here is feeling right now. I am not looking forward to the delivery time of this set though. I'll have it by easter, anyways.

24 minutes ago, Cocoa said:

I feel like incorporating the pagoda in the rear would've left it unseen, like the harbor of the Docks

Unseen?

7-B7-B9-AF9-A125-41-CD-832-D-D860-BF2-BD

24 minutes ago, Cocoa said:

Reminds me of this MOC by Galaktek.

Exactly, that pagoda is lot larger but still. Love that diving sub!

Edited by Lucarex

2 hours ago, Cocoa said:

Honestly, I believe the Gardens blows the originals out of the water when it comes to the sheer amount of details and the wide variety of colors and techniques. However, I believe there are two areas where the City is better.

The first area would be larger buildings. The buildings in the City had a huge footprint, while the Gardens' buildings are very narrow. However, some of that space goes into creating patios and walkways, something the original lacked in the back. Also, I am not a huge interior fan, so this change isn't a dealbreaker.

The second area would be access. While the City had the elevator that tied everything together, the Gardens has no access to the street level from the old world. However, the original had a sketchy way to access buildings using those cell doors, while the Gardens at least has a proper walkway to the museum and apartment.

I personally adore the cyberpunk aesthetic so the design look of Ninjago city gardens is on point to me. I do think the lack of access is problematic and prohibits me from giving this set an A+ in overall execution. 
what about this as a possible SOLUTION to the lack of access issue?

suspension bridges. I think the placement of the ninjago city and ninjago garden with the ninjago docks in between them (as in promo pics) works best aesthetically but I’m wondering if adding some rope bridges between the ninjago city and ninjago gardens might be a good design solution. The bridges could be enhanced with lanterns or even some commercial signs etc to fit the aesthetic. I almost never do lego Mocs so would love to have some more experienced and creative voices weigh in.

Edited by Gunnesax

29 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Unseen?

7-B7-B9-AF9-A125-41-CD-832-D-D860-BF2-BD

Exactly, that pagoda is lot larger but still. Love that diving sub!

Yes, unseen because when properly connected to city and gardens that is the back side, with the side that looks good with the others being the back of what's shown on the front of the box.

17 hours ago, Rolyat24 said:

In recent years we haven’t gotten gimmick sets for all 6 ninja. It’s a bit of a sore point with some fans, especially for popular ones like the arcade pods. It’s unlikely we’ll see Epic Battle sets for Lloyd or Nya. (An even bigger issue is that Nya almost never gets these variants. She only ever features where all 5 other ninja do. Maybe this summer will fix that?)

Oh boy. It would be an easy access to get Lloyd and Nya’s Epic Battle sets.i agree with you it’s a bit of sore for sure. 

A lot of the early builds of the set have it on improperly. You can see things kind of slanted and not fully connected. Reminds me of the tree house, which is another set I find doesn’t hold together particularly well.

just waiting for people to finish it and show all the different angles with the other sets

2 hours ago, BraveMax said:

Yeah I completely understand. I feel like with nostalgia and pure innovation taken into account, the City will definitely remain unrivaled. I love to see people's opinions on this set as I am very passionate about the Ninjago City line.

2 hours ago, Nearlyheadlessbrick said:

Yes, unseen because when properly connected to city and gardens that is the back side, with the side that looks good with the others being the back of what's shown on the front of the box.

Exactly, yes. When I say unseen, I am talking about when it's all connected.

2 hours ago, Gunnesax said:

suspension bridges. I think the placement of the ninjago city and ninjago garden with the ninjago docks in between them (as in promo pics) works best aesthetically but I’m wondering if adding some rope bridges between the ninjago city and ninjago gardens might be a good design solution. The bridges could be enhanced with lanterns or even some commercial signs etc to fit the aesthetic. I almost never do lego Mocs so would love to have some more experienced and creative voices weigh in.

While they aren't suspension bridges, here are a couple of bridge models I can refer you to. I think a combo of these two would look gorgeous.

Building Ninjago City: The Brothers Brick open collaboration [Feature] |  The Brothers Brick | The Brothers Brick

By the Brother's Brick

By Whiskey Shred

Ninjago City Gardens may be a bit unstable, but I actually like the design here. If the designer chose to make it very stable and hard to separate into floors, then it would be extremely hard to access the details of the interior which would most likely cost a lot more complaints.

Is Ninjago City necessarily better than this? Well... I believe they are all good in their own rights. Ninjago City is more detailed and an overall more pleasant color scheme, but Ninjago City Gardens uses much more advanced building techniques and offers a much better value.

Edited by JintaiZ

1 hour ago, JintaiZ said:

Ninjago City Gardens may be a bit unstable, but I actually like the design here. If the designer chose to make it very stable and hard to separate into floors, then it would be extremely hard to access the details of the interior which would most likely cost a lot more complaints.

Is Ninjago City necessarily better than this? Well... I believe they are all good in their own rights. Ninjago City is more detailed and an overall more pleasant color scheme, but Ninjago City Gardens uses much more advanced building techniques and offers a much better value.

I agree mostly, but I actually think the Gardens has the most satisfying color scheme of the 3. That initial leak made to colors look neon and a bit gross, but the final set is going to give the City much needed color. I absolutely love the yellow and green 

Edit: Has anyone been following the Ninjago City/Docks prices? I bought them in November for 500/400 respectively. Now the lowest you can find either is 700/600. Like that’s an insane jump in just a couple months.

Edited by Modal

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Edit: Has anyone been following the Ninjago City/Docks prices? I bought them in November for 500/400 respectively. Now the lowest you can find either is 700/600. Like that’s an insane jump in just a couple months.

I bought them when I first saw the garden rumours this last summer as I knew a third set would cause the price to skyrocket.

I wonder how the Monkie Kid HQ would look next to the city. For those who missed out on the movie bounty, it may be a great alternative, if not a bit colorful. It also takes almost the entire footprint of the Docks, even measuring to around the same height. Honestly the set looks super in-style with Ninjago City, so I’m considering it before it retires at the end of the year.

Also 23:49 on BZPower review shows City and Gardens compared and attached.

Edited by Cocoa

25 minutes ago, Cocoa said:

Looks really good but why the hell didn’t he show the other side/rear of that combo.

I just picked up 71735 Tournament of Elements for the golden Lloyd figure and I noticed that the green set of weapons included in NC Gardens is also included. I thought that was interesting.

REALLY wanting to see all three sets connected together without the island in between, as well as shots from the back. Hoping more reviewers finish building it and show us the good stuff soon!

At least Im very happy to get confirmation that those balconies on the left side of the gardens are removable so we can display the sets in any formation as we please.

2 hours ago, Cocoa said:

Original NC actually looks dull (not boring - washed out, colorless) next to the gardens.

10 hours ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

the face doesn’t bother me as much (due to it mostly being covered) as much as the overall design being nothing like Bolobo’s appearance in the show. The other two elemental masters in the set aren’t 100% perfect, but they’re really close to screen accurate! Why is Bolobo different? At some point if it’s nothing like the character, why even make them? (Bolobo still looks like himself, I’m just saying in general).

Don't get me wrong, I like the design. But it makes no sense. Unless he appears in season 14? It is set on a jungle island and we haven’t seen Bolobo since season 4 so it’s possible.

2 hours ago, turk187 said:

Original NC actually looks dull (not boring - washed out, colorless) next to the gardens.

Yeah new shiny parts and colours... but NC is far more superior and briliantly executed and well thought compared to the NCG. 

NCG is just shiny newer bigger parts pack :) Pretty but dull.

5 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Looks really good but why the hell didn’t he show the other side/rear of that combo.

Looks awesome! just wanted to see if you could attach the island (16x32 plate) on the left side next to gardens and im sold

1 minute ago, just_one said:

Looks awesome! just wanted to see if you could attach the island (16x32 plate) on the left side next to gardens and im sold

Of course you can. 

A small youtuber called K-bricks just uploaded a review of the gardens, and he shows off a small compartment in the top of the tower that's above where you store jays suit and the posters, and it is a control room. You get a small seat and a control screen, but again, no obvious way to get up there. I feel like this one could get away with it though, as it is for the ninja, and they can get anywhere. Access is definitely the biggest problem here.