13 minutes ago, Modal said:

How much do exclusive minifigures for big D2C sets usually go for? Honestly don’t have that much use for Golden Wu, as I’m not a typical Ninjago fan and honestly prefer just normal civilian minifigures to fill out the city. May be a way to help cover cost for the set lol

I'd say about $25 for most exclusive minifigures...

Edited by JintaiZ

2 hours ago, a guy from somewhere said:

My thoughts exactly. I’m also interested in where this new info is coming from, but I’m hopeful. Doesn’t Lego usually reveal stuff on Fridays?or am I just a bit dazed by the whole ‘gardens set leaked early’ drama. Either way, most of us on this forum still have to wait till the 14th. Any ideas if members of LAN will get this set early for a review?

The new decent pictures that we've all been discussing are from the Lego catalogue that gets mailed out to people. The photo is of the Canadian one, hence the pricing. Just struck me that they'd have to do the reveal very soon as they're mailing brochures with details out. The January store calendar is also out now, and it says special Ninjago days on both January 13 and 14. No mention of what that entails or any GWP though.

21 hours ago, Modal said:

Ashnflash mention $350 US in his video, anyone know where he could have found that?

I think the colors look way better here than in the initial, especially because they look less “neon” and more dark yellow, dark green, etc. 

It says Zen garden in that top purple area, really curious how that looks.

De LEGO Ninjago 71741 Ninjago City Gardens zal rond de €349,99 gaan kosten (gezien het gemiddelde van €0,06 per onderdeel van de vorige twee Ninjago sets) en bevat 5685 onderdelen. Van zodra we meer informatie hebben voorzien we dit artikel van een update.

English Translation: The LEGO Ninjago 71741 Ninjago City Gardens will cost around $ 349.99 (considering the average of $ 0.06 per piece for the previous two Ninjago sets) and will contain 5685 pieces. As soon as we have more information, we will provide this article with an update.

9 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

English Translation: The LEGO Ninjago 71741 Ninjago City Gardens will cost around $ 349.99 (considering the average of $ 0.06 per piece for the previous two Ninjago sets) and will contain 5685 pieces. As soon as we have more information, we will provide this article with an update.

Where is that quote from? Promobricks latest video/article mentions $299.99, so I’m confused how so many people could have conflicting answers

21 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Well golden legacy Zane and Nya do actually use the Nya hair and FS ninja hood (respectively), though I'm hoping Nya also has a golden facemask. 

You can see their silhouettes on the back of the legacy boxes, which is how we know. (picture in spoiler)

Reveal hidden contents

71736_alt8.jpg

As for Ninjago city 3 (since that's basically what it is)... wow, it certainly looks to be on par with the other 2, which with how impressive those were is a tough feat. I'm not disappointed with the minifigure selection, though I will admit that including the museum without 'Doctor Sanders; or the Noodle house without Skylor isn't superb. That said civilians with references to lego's history are about what was expected and the easter eggs are fun. 

Since they've decided that ninjago city can be an ongoing series without needing the movie, I think we'll have plenty of opportunities to get more obscure show characters,

I mean, he lied that he have seen sneak peek and two golden figures. He just couldn't. Maybe I'd believe if he didn't say about teaser lol

Just now, Modal said:

Where is that quote from? Promobricks latest video/article mentions $299.99, so I’m confused how so many people could have conflicting answers

bouwsteentjes.info

3 hours ago, Modal said:

How much do exclusive minifigures for big D2C sets usually go for? Honestly don’t have that much use for Golden Wu, as I’m not a typical Ninjago fan and honestly prefer just normal civilian minifigures to fill out the city. May be a way to help cover cost for the set lol

That varies significantly per figure so that's hard to predict.

One thing I do find somewhat odd about the set is that the 32x32 baseplate feels like the actual set, and then there's a random 16x32 baseplate that randomly has a "garden". I'm hoping with more pictures we can see how the set is connected all around, because from this image alone it seems like a tacked on section to an otherwise complete set. 

Also, will this extra baseplate be detachable? Will be cool to see how we could potentially expand that area with the Spring Lantern Festival set

29 minutes ago, Modal said:

One thing I do find somewhat odd about the set is that the 32x32 baseplate feels like the actual set, and then there's a random 16x32 baseplate that randomly has a "garden". I'm hoping with more pictures we can see how the set is connected all around, because from this image alone it seems like a tacked on section to an otherwise complete set. 

Also, will this extra baseplate be detachable? Will be cool to see how we could potentially expand that area with the Spring Lantern Festival set

The Brickset photos cut off the second page of the double page spread that the set build covers, but Ashnflash's video has a different photo (of the same thing) that shows more of the second page, and you can see more of the pagoda and bridge on it, which looks like it's on the 16x32 baseplate. No idea whether it's detachable, but you're right, it might work really nicely with the spring lantern festival set.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I have been thinking a little about mods for this set. The most obvious thing that comes to mind to do would be to restore the (sadly, recently retired) Trans. Neon Orange for the lanterns and some of the details in the "Ice Planet" Ice Cream Shop. However, I'm not necessarily 100% decided on that... having the set in hand I might end up liking some of that color variety.

i've heard this line go out around lego circles, but which trans neon orange retired recently? if it's fluorescent reddish i can understand that but it'll be a shame i suppose.

49 minutes ago, Modal said:

I would definitely also like to see more pictures, but even from thee limited angles we can see here, the impression I get is that the "gardens" are decidedly NOT separate from the rest of the structure. Rather, parts of the gardens like the cherry blossom tree on top of the museum and the massive  memorial tree in the corner (with a peaceful park bench at its base) grow over, around, and through other parts of the structure. In fact, a lot of the comments that seem to assume the gardens are exclusively tucked away in the parts of the model that aren't as clearly show in this pic like the "Temple Island" leads me to think that people expected the set name to refer to some sort of independent park or arboretum-like structure which would be clearly separated from other parts of the city like homes and businesses.

The actual "gardens" more closely resemble urban landscaping technniques like hanging gardens and roof gardens which are more directly integrated with man-made structures, providing a touch of natural beauty in environments where undeveloped land is scarce and space is at a premium. And honestly, I feel like this is a much more thoughtful and accurate expression of what sort of "gardens" might realistically be found in the sort of densely populated urban setting which the Ninjago City sets have sought to portray from the very beginning.

In general, I'm super impressed with all that we can see of this set's design so far! Architecturally, it maintains a lot of the common threads from the previous two installments in the series, particularly the tiered design shifting gradually from traditional architectural and lifestyle elements on the lower "Old World" level to more modern or even futuristic elements as you approach the uppermost "High Rise" level. It also does a great job at continuing other trends we've seen throughout the series — for instance, the many cleverly constructed signs and stickered billboards along the railings of the walkways, the inflatable koi on the high rise level, wildly varying colors and textures to differentiate between the various homes and businesses, and the many clever and unique part uses and builds for architectural features like awnings or windows.

However, it still stands out considerably from all of the other installments in many ways, including the three-story-tall tree in the corner which serves as the garden's centerpiece and grows all the way through the first level of elevated walkways, the angled bridge-like placement of the Ninjago Museum of History which joins the towering buildings on either side, and the extremely angular and geometric design of the tower that serves as the Ninja's latest hangout spot. And it includes some features which are  big departure from anything we saw in the earlier sets from this series, like Cece's futuristic hover-scooter.

Master Chen's Noodle Shop and the Ninjago Museum of History are both great choices for businesses from the show to incorporate into the Ninjago City collection. And the designers did a great job recreating the look of the noodle shop's gaudy signage and the museum's domed skylight. Much like the signage and contents of Dareth's dojo in the Ninjago City Docks set, touches like this really help these elements that are based on or inspired by the TV show feel recognizable, despite being transplanted from the more mundane street scenes of the show's early seasons to this elaborate, futuristic re-imagining of Ninjago City which featured in the movie and subsequent seasons of the show.

Other small details I love — the ninja-patterned bedspread and microscale versions of Ninjago sets in Christina's apartment, the microscale Destiny's Bounty and cleverly constructed display case in the museum, and the angled construction of the ninja's TV stand/entertainment center. All in all, I'm really excited to see more pictures that show more of these elaborate detail, as well aswhat the overall structure looks like from other angles!

Truth be told, I don't feel particularly disappointed by the minifigure selection. Not only does this set include the first new Misako and Ronin minifigs in years, but also minifigures of the Mechanic and one of his henchpeople! It also has the first young Lloyd Garmadon minifig with a hairstyle resembling his hair in the show (and the first time this hairstyle has officially appeared in this color).

All in all, I think one of the big strengths of these bigger and more AFOL-oriented Ninjago sets like the Ninjago City collection or Temple of Airjitzu is that they are able to focus so much on the "everyday" elements of the world of Ninjago. Compared to smaller or more KFOL-oriented sets, these sets focus on slice-of-life scenarios rather than intense action scenes, and ordinary people in ordinary clothes rather than elaborately armed and costumed heroes and villains.

As such, these sets provide a unique opportunity to introduce minifigs representing the sort of ordinary/mundane citizens who you might expect to see in crowd scenes, as well as various noteworthy characters like the Postman, Mother Doomsday, Mystake, Dareth, Lil' Nelson, and Misako who tend to dress casually and support the ninja from the sidelines. So I'm glad that the designers continue to embrace that opportunity instead of neglecting those characters in favor of other super-powered action hero characters like Pixal, Skylor, or the Elemental Masters who often join the ninja in battle, and thus are much easier to work into smaller and more typical Ninjago sets.

I've long hoped to see a physical minifigure of the Mechanic, but there haven't been a whole lot of great opportunities to introduce one, since unlike other Ninjago villains he usually tends to specialize in petty crimes except when he gets roped into another villain's schemes like in "Prime Empire", and visually he doesn't tend to fit in clearly witht the sorts of "themed" villains who tend to be the focus of each new story arc. In a set like this, though, he not only fits in nicely, but performs a role that buyers would be able to understand fairly well even without any familiarity with him from the show (i.e. a stereotypical crook/robber sort of like the ones that show up in City sets, but with a "cyberpunk" twist in accordance with the Ninjago City setting).

On a similar sci-fi note, it doesn't seem that anybody here has mentioned it (though it was noticed by a few commenters on Brickset), but the construction robot "Scoop" seems to resemble the robot minifigures from the Exo-Force theme in a lot of ways, like its rectangular red eyes and angular muzzle which sticks forward from the rest of the body. Whether or not this was an intentional reference, it's undoubtedly a great new robot build that fits in beautifully with other high-tech elements of the setting, particularly the cleaning robot Sweep from the original Ninjago City set. The use of a recolored minifig baby carrier for its face/muzzle is a remarkably clever part choice!

And even if it's not really "new", I can't help but smile at the inclusion of Sensei Wu's dog, which has not been canon to any Ninjago media at this point as far as I'm aware, but was a cute and quirky feature of 2015's Master Wu Dragon. Between that and various other details like multi-colored frogs, I get a strong feeling that the designer of that set, Nick Vas, probably worked on this one as well. :classic:

There are defiinitely other characters who could have been neat to see in a set like this one (like casual Harumi, as some folks have mentioned previously), but I'm not especially bothered by their absence, particularly since knowing that we're still getting new sets like this one makes it much easier to keep looking forward to the possibility of seeing minifigs of those characters in the future.

There's a scanned image of the Canadian catalogue on Brickset right now. Looks like there's a balcony on the side of the student apartment, and the elevated sidewalk wraps / turns around the edge where the 16x32 baseplate is! I'm really happy TLG continued the railing instead of cutting it off like with the City. The more details there are on the sides the better, even if it's just windows or a masonry brick here and there - that way they won't just be large blank walls.

I just hope the garden kinda overlaps and is contained behind the two pillars. Would be cool to see it have its roots tangled up the back.

Also does anyone know what Tea Time Balcony is?

Edit: Looking at the scanned image, the two darker bricks under temple island make me think the 16x32 baseplate is going to be detachable from the rest of the set. I don’t really see the point in adding that to the side if that’s the case. 

Edited by Modal

anyone know what episode that Misako is from? I know its just the main one with a coat over, but I'm not sure if it is in the show at all. I feel like I've seen it before, but I could just be remembering wrong.

Looking at the scans on brickset, I think that the display case in the museum might be the Yin Blade as its right under the portrait of Master Yang, just like in DotD.

6 minutes ago, FrostyPlayZa said:

How was I supposed to know that????

Real leaks are usually from trustworthy sources like stonewars or promobricks. Hope that helps!

Edited by JintaiZ

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

There's a scanned image of the Canadian catalogue on Brickset right now. Looks like there's a balcony on the side of the student apartment, and the elevated sidewalk wraps / turns around the edge where the 16x32 baseplate is! I'm really happy TLG continued the railing instead of cutting it off like with the City. The more details there are on the sides the better, even if it's just windows or a masonry brick here and there - that way they won't just be large blank walls.

It really is magnificent.

I've been looking forward to this set for quite a while, but upon seeing it, I am now filled with a little bit of anxiety as well as the obvious excitement. The design is amazing, and I definitely want it, but I can't help worry about what I'll have to put away to display this next to Ninjago City. It's funny that the two sets I'm really interested in for next year (so far) are both asian gardens that technically connect to modular buildings.

13 hours ago, Modal said:

Most of the figures in this set are frankly quite generic and uninteresting, so I don't think any of them would have a particularly big re-sell value. The figures that usually go up in value the most are either the very desirable ones (typically the licensed figures based on popular characters), or figures that have exclusive molded parts/accessories. The only one in this set that might be worth something (even though not a lot) would probably only be the golden Wu, that's about it. 

Edited by Lego David

9 hours ago, Surge said:

anyone know what episode that Misako is from? I know its just the main one with a coat over, but I'm not sure if it is in the show at all. I feel like I've seen it before, but I could just be remembering wrong.

She's never looked like that before.

10 hours ago, Surge said:

I'm pretty sure this is just a reimagining of the character like most Legacy figures. 

14 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

bouwsteentjes.info

This is a Dutch site, I read the article (native speaker) and they are just basing this on the Dutch prices in Euros of the older sets, which include 21% tax in case of The Netherlands. For some reason the quote on the forum here replaced the Euro signs with Dollar signs.

15 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I would definitely also like to see more pictures, but even from thee limited angles we can see here, the impression I get is that the "gardens" are decidedly NOT separate from the rest of the structure. Rather, parts of the gardens like the cherry blossom tree on top of the museum and the massive  memorial tree in the corner (with a peaceful park bench at its base) grow over, around, and through other parts of the structure. In fact, a lot of the comments that seem to assume the gardens are exclusively tucked away in the parts of the model that aren't as clearly show in this pic like the "Temple Island" leads me to think that people expected the set name to refer to some sort of independent park or arboretum-like structure which would be clearly separated from other parts of the city like homes and businesses.

The actual "gardens" more closely resemble urban landscaping technniques like hanging gardens and roof gardens which are more directly integrated with man-made structures, providing a touch of natural beauty in environments where undeveloped land is scarce and space is at a premium. And honestly, I feel like this is a much more thoughtful and accurate expression of what sort of "gardens" might realistically be found in the sort of densely populated urban setting which the Ninjago City sets have sought to portray from the very beginning.

In general, I'm super impressed with all that we can see of this set's design so far! Architecturally, it maintains a lot of the common threads from the previous two installments in the series, particularly the tiered design shifting gradually from traditional architectural and lifestyle elements on the lower "Old World" level to more modern or even futuristic elements as you approach the uppermost "High Rise" level. It also does a great job at continuing other trends we've seen throughout the series — for instance, the many cleverly constructed signs and stickered billboards along the railings of the walkways, the inflatable koi on the high rise level, wildly varying colors and textures to differentiate between the various homes and businesses, and the many clever and unique part uses and builds for architectural features like awnings or windows.

However, it still stands out considerably from all of the other installments in many ways, including the three-story-tall tree in the corner which serves as the garden's centerpiece and grows all the way through the first level of elevated walkways, the angled bridge-like placement of the Ninjago Museum of History which joins the towering buildings on either side, and the extremely angular and geometric design of the tower that serves as the Ninja's latest hangout spot. And it includes some features which are  big departure from anything we saw in the earlier sets from this series, like Cece's futuristic hover-scooter.

Master Chen's Noodle Shop and the Ninjago Museum of History are both great choices for businesses from the show to incorporate into the Ninjago City collection. And the designers did a great job recreating the look of the noodle shop's gaudy signage and the museum's domed skylight. Much like the signage and contents of Dareth's dojo in the Ninjago City Docks set, touches like this really help these elements that are based on or inspired by the TV show feel recognizable, despite being transplanted from the more mundane street scenes of the show's early seasons to this elaborate, futuristic re-imagining of Ninjago City which featured in the movie and subsequent seasons of the show.

Other small details I love — the ninja-patterned bedspread and microscale versions of Ninjago sets in Christina's apartment, the microscale Destiny's Bounty and cleverly constructed display case in the museum, and the angled construction of the ninja's TV stand/entertainment center. All in all, I'm really excited to see more pictures that show more of these elaborate detail, as well aswhat the overall structure looks like from other angles!

Truth be told, I don't feel particularly disappointed by the minifigure selection. Not only does this set include the first new Misako and Ronin minifigs in years, but also minifigures of the Mechanic and one of his henchpeople! It also has the first young Lloyd Garmadon minifig with a hairstyle resembling his hair in the show (and the first time this hairstyle has officially appeared in this color).

All in all, I think one of the big strengths of these bigger and more AFOL-oriented Ninjago sets like the Ninjago City collection or Temple of Airjitzu is that they are able to focus so much on the "everyday" elements of the world of Ninjago. Compared to smaller or more KFOL-oriented sets, these sets focus on slice-of-life scenarios rather than intense action scenes, and ordinary people in ordinary clothes rather than elaborately armed and costumed heroes and villains.

As such, these sets provide a unique opportunity to introduce minifigs representing the sort of ordinary/mundane citizens who you might expect to see in crowd scenes, as well as various noteworthy characters like the Postman, Mother Doomsday, Mystake, Dareth, Lil' Nelson, and Misako who tend to dress casually and support the ninja from the sidelines. So I'm glad that the designers continue to embrace that opportunity instead of neglecting those characters in favor of other super-powered action hero characters like Pixal, Skylor, or the Elemental Masters who often join the ninja in battle, and thus are much easier to work into smaller and more typical Ninjago sets.

I've long hoped to see a physical minifigure of the Mechanic, but there haven't been a whole lot of great opportunities to introduce one, since unlike other Ninjago villains he usually tends to specialize in petty crimes except when he gets roped into another villain's schemes like in "Prime Empire", and visually he doesn't tend to fit in clearly witht the sorts of "themed" villains who tend to be the focus of each new story arc. In a set like this, though, he not only fits in nicely, but performs a role that buyers would be able to understand fairly well even without any familiarity with him from the show (i.e. a stereotypical crook/robber sort of like the ones that show up in City sets, but with a "cyberpunk" twist in accordance with the Ninjago City setting).

On a similar sci-fi note, it doesn't seem that anybody here has mentioned it (though it was noticed by a few commenters on Brickset), but the construction robot "Scoop" seems to resemble the robot minifigures from the Exo-Force theme in a lot of ways, like its rectangular red eyes and angular muzzle which sticks forward from the rest of the body. Whether or not this was an intentional reference, it's undoubtedly a great new robot build that fits in beautifully with other high-tech elements of the setting, particularly the cleaning robot Sweep from the original Ninjago City set. The use of a recolored minifig baby carrier for its face/muzzle is a remarkably clever part choice!

And even if it's not really "new", I can't help but smile at the inclusion of Sensei Wu's dog, which has not been canon to any Ninjago media at this point as far as I'm aware, but was a cute and quirky feature of 2015's Master Wu Dragon. Between that and various other details like multi-colored frogs, I get a strong feeling that the designer of that set, Nick Vas, probably worked on this one as well. :classic:

There are defiinitely other characters who could have been neat to see in a set like this one (like casual Harumi, as some folks have mentioned previously), but I'm not especially bothered by their absence, particularly since knowing that we're still getting new sets like this one makes it much easier to keep looking forward to the possibility of seeing minifigs of those characters in the future.

Quoting despite the length because this deserves to be read by everyone. Fantastic post. 

Just now, Lucarex said:

Quoting despite the length because this deserves to be read by everyone. Fantastic post. 

Didn't quote the post myself because of it's length but I definetely second this.