Since this would technically be the start of something, I thought I'd make this page. Mods, feel free to remove this if not accurate. 

Otherwise, speculate away 

Edited by Brandon Pea

That is very exciting, but the timing seems a bit weird as both previous Ninjago modulars are sold out.

Edited by JintaiZ

I think it's real, and here's why

The Promobricks article describes a Japanese-inspired garden.  

There was a Japanese Tea Garden that was somewhat Ninjago-inspired on Lego Ideas:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9af5661d-d8a0-42a3-a2fc-43b6c5e9c56f/official_comments#content_nav_tabs

The set was not produced, despite hitting the 10,000 supporter mark needed for an official review.

Dear Coosey__Goosey,

First, thank you for building and submitting your very well done Japanese Tea Garden .

Regretfully, we have chosen to archive your project and no longer consider it for production for reasons communicated to you privately. Your project will remain visible on LEGO Ideas, but in a status where it can no longer be supported or commented on. This way fans can still admire your creation.

We're sorry to be the bearers of this disappointing news!

But, if you look at the other sets that hit 10,000 supporters and were not produced during this time period, the rejection notice from Lego is very different, and takes the form of a form letter.

https://brickset.com/article/45895/lego-ideas-results-arriving-today!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/461fb3b6-31c5-4fa0-b5e0-7c8fbc3f1d85/official_comments#content_nav_tabs

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/46e0efff-9756-42fe-a5ea-519b2579abeb/official_comments#content_nav_tabs

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2fb777d6-5c93-455a-974c-fee28963075c/official_comments#content_nav_tabs

Review Results for (set)
Our team has thoroughly considered the possibility of releasing this project as a LEGO set according to the criteria of the LEGO Review. Unfortunately the LEGO Review Board has decided that we will not produce this project as a set.

Thank you to (user) for the passion and creativity that went into this project, and to all of you who voted so that we would have the opportunity to consider this as a potential LEGO set. We’re sorry to deliver this disappointing news.

So, for some reason, the Japanese Tea Garden was rejected in a very different manner than all the other rejected Ideas sets with 10,000 supporters, and yet they gave the creator a reason (unlike the others).  Without asking the creator to violate privileged correspondence with Lego, I can only speculate that the reason was the ongoing development of the Ninjago City Gardens.

17 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

I think it's real, and here's why

The Promobricks article describes a Japanese-inspired garden.  

There was a Japanese Tea Garden that was somewhat Ninjago-inspired on Lego Ideas:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9af5661d-d8a0-42a3-a2fc-43b6c5e9c56f/official_comments#content_nav_tabs

The set was not produced, despite hitting the 10,000 supporter mark needed for an official review.

-snippet-

This makes a ton of sense in hindsight. We were all wondering why that specific reason was given for that cancellation, and having this similar set release very soon makes total sense. One thing that is a little strange to me is the standalone build - I wonder why that was included, and it seems like extra parts budget to me if it doesn't actually connect to the buildings.

Is there ever a chance that TLG will remake Ninjago City? Probably one of the most popular non-licensed sets ever and I just wasn’t into Lego at the time it was sold.

11 hours ago, Modal said:

Is there ever a chance that TLG will remake Ninjago City? Probably one of the most popular non-licensed sets ever and I just wasn’t into Lego at the time it was sold.

It's possible, but I would consider it unlikely. For starters, it's very tied to the not-particularly-successful Ninjago Movie, which the series has for the most part moved past and isn't all that likely to revisit (in all likelihood, this new set as well as future sets will be primarily based on the main Ninjago TV continuity and those versions of the ninja, despite being able to link up to its more movie-inspired predecessors). It also runs into the same issue as the Modular Building rereleases people often hope for—a rerelease of an earlier set really mostly appeals to people who didn't get the original the first time around, whereas a brand-new expansion has the potential to appeal to both people for whom the new set will be their first foray into that category of set and people who did get the original and are looking to expand.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

It's possible, but I would consider it unlikely. For starters, it's very tied to the not-particularly-successful Ninjago Movie, which the series has for the most part moved past and isn't all that likely to revisit (in all likelihood, this new set as well as future sets will be primarily based on the main Ninjago TV continuity and those versions of the ninja, despite being able to link up to its more movie-inspired predecessors). It also runs into the same issue as the Modular Building rereleases people often hope for—a rerelease of an earlier set really mostly appeals to people who didn't get the original the first time around, whereas a brand-new expansion has the potential to appeal to both people for whom the new set will be their first foray into that category of set and people who did get the original and are looking to expand.

It seems like a lot of Lego movies were unsuccessful. 

On 9/1/2020 at 8:46 AM, Lyichir said:

Recently, they re-released 10189 as 10256.  Historically, there have been a few re-releases.  But, this should not convince any AFOLs that re-releases are coming for 70620.    There are a lot of common, standard bricks in 10256 like 388 trans-clear 1x1 plates (part 28554), 240 white 1x2 modified bricks (part 2877) , and 276 white 1x1 rounds, and no minifigures.   10189 is a simple set to re-release because of this: all of these parts are things Lego produces every year.  In contrast, 70620 has a ton of minifigures and specialized pieces in less typically produced colors.   Such a large, elaborate design was only produced because of the movie (which did terribly and is never getting a sequel).

So, is it possible?   It's not forbidden.    But, it is as unlikely as all heck.  

17 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

Recently, they re-released 10189 as 10256.  Historically, there have been a few re-releases.  But, this should not convince any AFOLs that re-releases are coming for 70620.    There are a lot of common, standard bricks in 10256 like 388 trans-clear 1x1 plates (part 28554), 240 white 1x2 modified bricks (part 2877) , and 276 white 1x1 rounds, and no minifigures.   10189 is a simple set to re-release because of this: all of these parts are things Lego produces every year.  In contrast, 70620 has a ton of minifigures and specialized pieces in less typically produced colors.   Such a large, elaborate design was only produced because of the movie (which did terribly and is never getting a sequel).

So, is it possible?   It's not forbidden.    But, it is as unlikely as all heck.  

Plus Ninjago City has only been off the shelves for a little over six months. The Taj Mahal had a break of about 7-8 years. Nearly everyone that is willing to spend the $300 on Ninjago City will already have bought it. Better to have something new at a similar price that appeals to both people that have Ninjago City and to people that don't have Ninjago City, rather than people that didn't buy Ninjago City during the 2+ years it was available but have decided that in the last six months they do want it.

I hope that Gardens of NC will be connectable to the modular buildings and that it will apear as also standalone set, not only "add on" to the NC which is now retired (except Docks). 48x32 footprint sounds promising. 

6 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I hope that Gardens of NC will be connectable to the modular buildings and that it will apear as also standalone set, not only "add on" to the NC which is now retired (except Docks).

Me too.

6 hours ago, Blazej_Holen said:

I hope that Gardens of NC will be connectable to the modular buildings and that it will apear as also standalone set, not only "add on" to the NC which is now retired (except Docks). 48x32 footprint sounds promising. 

The docks and the city both look great on their own, I highly doubt the gardens will be worse. If anything I would guess the gardens will be a “new start” of sorts for the city since it is likely to be rebranded as a series/legacy item instead of a movie one

Still trying to process the curious silhouette and two baseplate thing. Knowing that unredacted photo is out there (promobricks must have it), gaaah.

Also the "more than 20 minifigures", which takes GONC way above the 16 figs in NC and up almost into Death Star territory.

Really hope it's January release for VIP as rumoured.

Jungle Lloyd leaked

The hairpiece looks pretty good

While the torso and prints are new, they are starting to look very samey, which I think it's normal after some many years, with 2 outfits per year in some cases

But yeah, the highlight is the hairpiece for sure

Ooh, I like this version of Lloyd! The hairpiece is great, I love the new face with the combat stripes on his cheek - that’ll be so useful for customs - and this suit is interesting. It barely even looks like a ninja suit, which I guess is the point at this stage. 

On 10/21/2020 at 5:41 PM, Robert8 said:

While the torso and prints are new, they are starting to look very samey, which I think it's normal after some many years, with 2 outfits per year in some cases

I agree that the torso/leg designs since SOG have all been pretty similar, with perhaps the notable exception of Prime Empire. I feel like a lot of the earlier suits had some great variety - think of the elemental robes, the tournament robes, the possession and skybound suits. We could definitely use some new ideas for printing! 

Although I will echo the admiration of the headband element. Hopefully we get all 6!

The headband looks great! I can imagine them reusing the movie Cole hair+headband piece for Cole, so they wouldn't need to make six new molds per ninja, but honestly it could go either way. And this means we will almost definitely get a silver movie Zane hairpiece - but with a headband, which is really a shame as a lot of fans have been looking for that to use for their own figures. We'll also be likely getting a face for Zane that's new but has face paint/markings - which is a shame as the extremely angry one really doesn't fit the character except for very specific circumstances.

5 hours ago, DuckBricks said:

And this means we will almost definitely get a silver movie Zane hairpiece - but with a headband

imean it's likelier we're getting the headband printed; with how small that hairpiece is it could work out printed straight on the head instead of as a different piece. no confirmation until full leaks drop tho

(also just realized you were lz; nice to meetcha again ig!)

Edited by Pirean_Grammaticul

16 hours ago, Pirean_Grammaticul said:

imean it's likelier we're getting the headband printed; with how small that hairpiece is it could work out printed straight on the head instead of as a different piece. no confirmation until full leaks drop tho

(also just realized you were lz; nice to meetcha again ig!)

Haha yes I changed my name to coincide with my YouTube channel but yes, I could definitely see it maybe being printed but at that point we’d still have a hairpiece that only applies to this new season sadly. Looking forward to seeing leaks of the figures!