Sign in to follow this  
m00se

[MOC] Electric sports car

50225673462_85e480c944_b.jpg

Hi everyone

I finally finished my first moc (creations for the Eurobricks contests not included). Not that I haven't made anything else before, it's just that I never actually finished something.

I present you an electric sports car. As it is electric there's no fake engine or gearbox, but that results in some extra space for other functions like a collapsable spoiler / air brake and a retractable roof

- 2 XL motors for driving. There is a switch in the front so you can choose between 4WD or only the rear wheels. Doesn't seem to make a lot of difference here. The car is so heavy that driving is limited anyway.
- 1 L motor for steering. Steering wheel also turns.
- 1 L motor for the spoiler / air brake
- 1 L motor for the roof
- Independent suspension (but honestly the weight of the car is too high for the suspension.

Compared to what some of you manage to create this isn't that well looking. I am proud of the front and the retractable roof however. As I still have a lot to learn all suggestions and feedback are very welcome.

Yes, that's Bugatti wheels. I also did use the Bugatti distances between wheels as a starting point.
50225444811_628303e635_b.jpg

Colors do not perfectly align, but this was a bit driven by what pieces I had available, and I didn't want to add another color to the mix.
50225444851_3802911db5_b.jpg

Never before did I do any curved body work like this. I think it worked out ok in the front but by the time I reached the back I was starting to run out of appropriate pieces so there it's less refined.
50224803153_9cfd82787a_b.jpg

The little right knob on the right side of the driver seat starts the two Control+ hubs:
50225673557_d3c8a8a908_b.jpg

Fancy white interiour:
50224803218_9d1f6d71df_b.jpg

The back, spoiler collapsed. Note that the spoiler doesn't only collapse down but also inward (a bit more clear in the movie):
50225673667_7347a6f008_b.jpg

The back, with spoiler in spoiler mode:
50225673772_82d5577145_b.jpg

Spoiler in air-brake mode:
50224803503_9d361d3af3_b.jpg

Upside down including the Control+ hubs:
50225673947_98d1c09396_b.jpg

Video (needed my phone to control the car so had to use the webcam to film, so quality is not great).

https://vimeo.com/447809384

(forgot how to embed Vimeo video's. Anyone know how?)

Edited by m00se

Congrats on finishing something! :laugh:

I love the usage of quarter-circle gear racks as wheels arches, and I don't care whether or not that actually looks good haha!

Looks pretty good for a fantasy car, but the roof should be a lot lower to match with the overall look of the body imo. I would recommend using flex axles insted of flex hozes for the front wheel arches, that way you can skip the pins and remove these gaps they create.

I like the shape of the front, it looks like the car has pop-up headlights, but sadly it doesn't. Still looks cool tho.

Edited by Gray Gear

18 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I would recommend using flex axles insted of flex hozes for the front wheel arches, that way you can skip the pins and remove these gaps they create.

Good to know. I had seen this curved arches on models from others but wasn't actually sure how they were made.

The overall look is great. 

Some things:

-For me, the roof has to stop further in the back of the car.

-Maybe you could use a servomotor, if you have one, instead of the L motor, because you can't go straight in this configuration. I have to agree that they are very expensive...

-I don't like the way there are liftarms on flex axles, but that's my opinion.

As  previously mentioned, I love the way you use the gear racks, and the roof mechanism is very interesting.

P.S. Is the car inspired from the Aspark Owl? Looks very similar for the front, and the way the rear shapes up.

Congrats!

Here's a picture of the Owl, if you don't know it. Do you see what I mean?

ampnet_photo_20191122_175800.jpg.3b32ab21644904d7c6a95f6b420d75cc.jpg

source: https://www.auto-medienportal.net/artikel/detail/50828

Edited by chlego

5 hours ago, chlego said:

P.S. Is the car inspired from the Aspark Owl? Looks very similar for the front, and the way the rear shapes up.

Thanks for your feedback! I didn't know the Aspark, so it wasn't an inspiration. However I like that you recognise an existing car in it ;-)

10 hours ago, chlego said:

-Maybe you could use a servomotor, if you have one, instead of the L motor, because you can't go straight in this configuration. I have to agree that they are very expensive...

He's fitted two control+ hubs into a car based on Bugatti rims. I guess he could afford 30€ for a servo motor, but he doesn't need it, because control+ L motors can be used as servos, and they're much better than PF servos.

9 hours ago, amorti said:

He's fitted two control+ hubs into a car based on Bugatti rims. I guess he could afford 30€ for a servo motor, but he doesn't need it, because control+ L motors can be used as servos, and they're much better than PF servos.

Yup, I see. Alright then, everything is nice!

I like your electric car concept. While fake engine and transmission are interesting from technical perspective, they don't actually do much in a Lego car so omitting them in favor of spoiler and retractable roof makes the model much more playable.

The usage of gear racks as mudguards is also very nice, I actually had the same idea for my giant tractor project, but I seem to have the same problem as you in that I have hard time finishing the projects I start...