Sign in to follow this  
Technic Builder

How did you fix your Technic Hub firmware being updated every time?

I searched this forum, the rest of the internet, and reddit and I still haven't found an answer.

Got the 4x4 today, installed Control+ on a Pixel 2 XL and an old iPad Air 2.  Both are current on updates.

On the android I connected about 8 different times and it wanted to update firmware every time.

Tried the iPad, same thing

Checked the batteries and made sure they were freshly charged, no difference.

Uninstalled the app on both the iPad and Android - no change.

Tried updating firmware through the Powered Up app.  No change.

BUT the model does work with zero issues once the firmware updates.  Basically the hub restarts after the firmware update and right after that restart it will work, but if it's powered off and back on the app wants to update firmware again.

Do I have a technic hub with bad memory?  How did you fix this issue?  Haven't talked to lego yet since they were closed before I got into this diagnosis.

I have the Liebherr on the way and hope to get this sorted out with the crawler so I don't have to deal with it with the Liebherr.

Have you tried using a different WiFi network? New batteries? Third device? A reddit post I saw says try pressing the button very quickly instead of holding it down. 

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Don't hesitate to contact Legos customer service. In case the hub is broken, they will send you a replacement. But expect them to ask you to send the faulty hub to them for further analysis.

Try a forced firmware update. Turn off the hub, start up the app, wait for the connection screen, then press and hold the green button on the hub. After ~8-10 seconds the led should start flashing first in purple then in different colors, then you can release the button and the app will automatically start the firmware update. Once finished you can check if it connects normally or not. 

9 hours ago, kbalage said:

Try a forced firmware update. Turn off the hub, start up the app, wait for the connection screen, then press and hold the green button on the hub. After ~8-10 seconds the led should start flashing fist in purple then in different colors, then you can release the button and the app will automatically start the firmware update. Once finished you can check if it connects normally or not. 

Worked for me. :)

I got the liebherr set and took one of the technic hubs out of that set and swapped it for the hub that was requiring a firmware update every time in the 4x4.

The new hub from the liebherr updated once and worked flawlessly since.

I put the old 4x4 hub back in and now it works as well without asking for a firmware update every time.

I didn't change anything about the method I would use to turn the hub on, I just swapped hubs and swapped back.

ALSO, the way the hub from the liebherr updated was slightly different.  On my 4x4 hub once the update finished the hub would turn all the way off and I'd have to turn it back on manually for the app to recognise it again.  The liebherr hub did not turn off after updating.  It stayed on and the control+ app automatically connected to it after the update.

I do appreciate everyone's help and hopefully this thread could help somebody else in the future.

Edited by Technic Builder