Sign in to follow this  
Bricks-on-Rails

Saxon steamship | Preservation of the Dresden steamship fleet

Dear community,

Today I would like to advertise a campaign and present a MOC to you, which basically does not belong to my core competence, but which I nevertheless enjoyed developing very much.

But now lets start at the beginning...

In the middle of June one of my customers from Dresden wrote me a kind e-mail. He informed me that the Saxon paddle steamer fleet, which is the oldest and largest paddle steamer fleet in the world, is currently in economic troubles. Not only because of Covid-19, but also because of the increased low water in the past years. Locals, fans and friends want to support the association "Weiße Flotte Dresden (white fleet dresden)" with various activities. The idea of my customer was to create a construction instruction for a steamship model and to sell it. A major part of the proceeds were to go to the campaign. I wanted to help.

I wouldn't call myself a real fan of steam ships, but after some research I was fascinated by these old heavy machinery, like the steamers on the rails. The problem, clearly, I had never built such a model before, but once my interest was caught and after choosing a suitable original, I started working on it. It gave me great pleasure to see the model grow, also the acquisition of new building techniques from the sector ships was exciting. But soon it became clear that a scale model would be about 1.5m long. This is of course way too big to make a instruction for private customers. So I designed a model in reduced size. I paid special attention to the recognition value by the colouring and the proportions. Various details were reproduced in the exterior and on the decks, but also in the interior. For example the steam engine, which can be driven together with the two paddle wheels by a Power-Functions or Powered Up motor. The model is built in minifig size. The individual decks can be removed individually and the interior can be played on.

The instructions are available directly on our homepage or in our Ebay-Shop for 14,99€ / $17.99. From each sold steamship instruction, we pass on 11€ / $13. We support the crowdfunding initiative "Preservation of the Dresden Steamship Fleet", which was founded by Michael Hillmann. Further information about the initiative can be found here.

Many thanks and best wishes
Martin | www.bricks-on-rails.de

Inspired by the steamship "Dresden"

50190943403_30c1794380_h.jpg

The lifeboat is also present

50190943343_ed91832555_h.jpg

The roofs can be removed, the bridge offers space for the captain 

50190943283_7f1dc87e47_b.jpg

There are several seats at the rear, the lower deck is not equipped.

50190943238_e5d17c4c00_b.jpg

The view of the "steam engine"

50191490741_6834676090_b.jpg

In the front saloon there is, besides some seating, also a small galley

50190943133_5c037bc6aa_b.jpg

The ship is divided into individual modules 

50191490656_a6d9850539_b.jpg

The dimensions of the finished model

50190943048_746a3e3e50_b.jpg